Are there any good sleepers out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surely, there are some babies who go to bed, sleep mostly through the night, take a couple of 2 hour naps a day without any fuss (atleast most of the time). Now, I'm not talking about younger babies. My almost 11 month old USED to sleep great....only waking 2-3 times in a 12 hour period, but has progressively decided to fight sleep since she was around 6/7 months old.

So, my question for all you mamas with good sleepers is "what do you think did the trick?". "What is your magic strategy?"

My sister, who has 4 children, did not let any of them CIO, but transitioned them all to a crib and had them sleeping through the night by 6/7 months. I guess that is the major difference that I read from posts of mamas with challenging sleepers - they are nursing and co-sleeping still.

"Are there any co-sleepers out there who have babies that sleep through the night?"
#2 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Medically speaking (the 5 hour rule) mine sleeps through the night or close to it most nights. There is an 8 month regression that was horrible with wakings every 1-2 hours but it has gotten better. Now ss only wakes up 2-3 times per night.

Now naps are another story... she is suck a bad napper.
#3 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
*covering eyes* I'm refusing to believe that all children don't wake up 500 billion times a night/refuse naps until they are 3 or so. If such a child exists then I don't birth that type.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM

DD has always slept well. We have coslept from day one and she is still ebf. She has slept from about 11pm untill 9am or later since she was a few weeks old. She does of course nurse 2-4 times per night but she doesn't wake up for that and neither do I. She just kinda roots around making fussy noises until I latch her on and then passes back out while nursing.

We didn't do anything special, don't even have a bedtime routine. Sometimes we all go to sleep together, sometimes DD falls asleep before we are ready to go to bed, so I just lay her down. We have only had a handfull of nights when we had to activiely put her to sleep by rocking, etc. Usually she nurses down easily.

Her naps are highly variable, some days one 2 hr nap, others five 30 minutes ones. I don't worry about that though. She sleeps when she is tired, whether we are in a store, car or at home. Regardless of when/if she naps she falls asleep and sleeps well at night.

I'm not bragging, I just want new mommas and moms-to-be to know that cosleeping, bf'ing and APing does not necesssarily eaqual a poor sleeper.

''''

#5 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM

I consider both of my kids great sleepers. Neither EVER took two 2 hour naps. I at the mere thought. Dd napped for a year. From 18 mo to 2.5yrs. Two hours every afternoon. Before that and after naps were hit and miss.

Ds is 8 months- sleeps from 10 or 11pm to 8 or 9 am (with us or on us) waking about twice or so to nurse.

Then one (or once in a blue moon two) 30-45 min nap.

I don't know if there is any trick. I don't take credit for it. I will say we don't fight about sleep, I don't TRY to put them to sleep, and I always sleep with them. But I suspect my luck has more to do with my kids and their personalities than anything else.

-Angela
#6 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 PM

I've got one! I cosleep with my 9 month old, and I think he nurses a couple times during the night (I don't really wake up). He wakes up a little, I get him latched, we go back to sleep. He's been doing this since he was about 1 week old and we got the side-lying nursing figured out. Sometimes (probably fewer than 10) times he's woken up crying and not gone immediately back to sleep. I put him on my belly and rub his back, and that usually works. I think he was either teething or had a cold; it usually happened several nights in a row and then went away.

During the day, my nanny holds him and rocks him until he falls asleep, then moves him to his crib. She can get him to sleep in 5-10 minutes, starting from when he rubs his eyes. It's amazing and I don't know what her magic trick is. She tells me he just falls asleep on her. I work from home, so I know there's no crying involved.
#7 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 PM

being the mama of 3 kids who i've parented virtually identically when it comes to nursing and sleeping habits, i can attest to the fact that each kid is different. DD1 had a harder time getting to sleep than the other two and had more frequent night wakings (usually about 4x a night). she also teethed *hard* and milestones really disrupted her sleep. but by the time she was about 18 months she was a very solid sleeper. getting to sleep took some effort, but once asleep she generally stayed that way until morning starting at around that time. and by the time her brother was born when she was 26 mo nothing (not even a baby screaming a pillow away) would wake her once she was down for the night. just for reference sake, she nursed till she was 3 yo, though i did night wean her when pregnant.

DS was much easier to get to sleep and once asleep stayed asleep much more easily than his sister, as an infant. generally he only woke to nurse 2x a night until he just phased down to one, and then none (around 20-ish months IIRC), which was around the same time he stopped nursing to sleep (with no encouragement from me).

DD2 is a sleeper (like her mama). she was sleeping 6-8 hrs at a clip from a ridiculously early age. i don't think she's ever woken up more than 3x in a night, and that is really rare. generally she goes to sleep around 7:30-8pm (with very little effort) and sleeps till about 4:30am when she wakes to nurse and sometimes has to pee. occasionally she wakes at around 2:30am instead. every once in a while she falls asleep w/out nursing at all (yes, she's from outer space) and on those nights she wakes around 11:30pm because she's hungry and then doesn't wake up until the morning.

i can tell you that the only thing i've done differently with #3 is EC from birth, and while that might help explain why she can hold her pee for 12+ hrs at a time, i don't think it accounts for much of the difference. they're just different kids, with very different temperments/personalities. my brother and i were like night and day when it came to sleep too (still are - he's a night owl who needs very little sleep, i could sleep 12 hours a night if you let me).
#8 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
elf

Once we can get our babe to sleep===she will sleep 9-13 hours.

She has been like that since about 3 months of age. She likes to be swaddled....she likes her white noise machine...darkness.

She had a sleep regression around 6 months and finally at 7 months I gave in to a "routine". Our crazy life does not fit with a "routine" but I finally had to change my lifestyle quite a bit.

I try to make sure we are home around the same time every day for 2 naps==even if she doesn't want to sleep she needs her downtime.

Bedtime routine is massage, jammies, eat, books...sleep.

Good LUCK.
#9 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 PM

If you consider them rolling over, latching back on and going back to sleep good, then I have had 3 great sleepers!

DD who is now 6 months cosleeps, wakes anywhere from 30 or so min to 3 hours after going to sleep, but nurses right back to sleep.. at some point I think she has a decent stretch though I"m not really sure! So her bedtime is roughly 7:30 - 8 and she wakes around 7ish.

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#10 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 PM

My son falls asleep around 7:30-8PM depending on how late his last nap was. One of us just lays down next to him, he eats and goes to sleep. He wakes up once during the night, usually around 11 and then wakes up early every morning. The time he wakes up in the AM is slowly getting later and later. We do co-sleep.

Naps occur anywhere, anytime. Usually around the same time everyday but if we're out and about it's usually earlier. He naps for about an hour alone, two if one of us is napping with him.
#11 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:40 AM

DS1 always fought sleep, woke frequently and got up early. Even now at age 4, it's still a challenge to get him to go to sleep. (He just called me into his room as I'm typing this at 10:30 p.m.--he's been in there for 2 hours supposedly trying to go to sleep.) I was always afraid if I ever complained to anyone, I would be blamed for his sleep habits. It did get better over time, and I gradually learned to cope. And really it wasn't as bad as some other people have to deal with.

DS2 is absolutely 180 degrees opposite. He's a great sleeper. It's really not an issue at all, except for the very rare night of teething or something.

As much as I could, I did the same for both of them. Go figure.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#12 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 AM

My son was an every 2-3 hour waker (when that) until a year old, when he started sleeping about 10 hour stretches ... he also self-weaned when my milk turned back to colostrum for my daughter at the same time though. My daughter since about a month old has started off the night with a good 5 hour stretch, and at 7 months hasn't changed that yet. Both are awesome, easy nappers -- they just doze whenever/wherever they're ready. Near as I can tell I just got incredibly lucky -- with them being so close in age I was prepping myself for a sleep nightmare. We do cosleep.
#13 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 AM

Ds2 sleeps great. We cosleep and go to bed around midnight and he'll sleep until 6 when dh gets up for work, nurse, sleep until noon. He takes a nap at 2 or 3, if I sleep with him he'll sleep until 5 or so, wake up play for a while, and then take a short nap around 8.
He's been doing this for about 2 months. I've read on here about 4 month olds having a sleep regression phase... didn't happen here, thank goodness.
We have no routine, just a sort of habit, he's fine if we're out and about and he misses his nap, he just naps a little later in the day, but still goes to bed for the night around the same time.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#14 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 AM

My daughter is a great sleeper & she has just always been that way. She was like that in utero, too. She had stretches of being awake and moving and long stretches of being still, which I assume was sleep time. If she was asleep in there, it was v difficult to get her up and moving.

The only things I did to encourage good sleep were to not let her fall asleep on my breast once she was past the newborn stage (I would unlatch her and put the binkie in her mouth), and not get out of bed w/ her if she wanted to get up and play during the night. If dh and I are still up, fine, she can come out w/ us. If we are all in bed, NOPE, you stay in bed, missy, it's sleep time! Really, by nature, she enjoys sleeping!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#15 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

In summary, these seem to be some of the strategies that work:

*Not having the baby on a routine - following cues instead
*Breaking the sucking to sleep association at an earlier stage of babyhood
*temperment/personality

Any other ideas or observations?

I sometimes wonder if I stopped spending so much time and work trying to get my little one to sleep and worked on acceptance, if that would help her sleep better.

What are your thoughts?
#16 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitakidcrazy View Post
That is NOT a factor here. Dd nursed to sleep EVERY TIME until she was around 2 years old.

-Angela
#17 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Well, here's my example. I have 8 month old twins. Parented the same day and night. Baby dd sleeps through the night (8pm-6am). She co-sleeps with dh. Baby ds wakes up multiple times a night (like 5+ times) and cosleeps with me and whatever older dc decides to wander in.

So, what can I say....no trick involved....just different babies. Of course I had to have 4 babies (dd2 was born last) to get one that sleeps through the night and now I don't even get to "enjoy" it because I'm up with ds2! Plus up with the two older dc's who wake up at night still .

For the person who mentioned letting go of expectations regarding sleep...this is huge for me. We had many expectations with ds1 (who is probably our worst sleeper) and all it did was frustrate everyone. Once we let it go things got much easier.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#18 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
That is NOT a factor here. Dd nursed to sleep EVERY TIME until she was around 2 years old.
Same here. My daughter was and still is a solid sleeper and she always nursed to sleep till she was over 2 and still frequently did till she was almost 3 when she self weaned. I think it is a very natural thing for babies to do and don't think in and of itself it leads to sleep issues.

coolshine.gif

#19 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM

DS was a dream until 13-14 months. Slept through the night at 3 months, slept from 7:30-7:30 every night, took two naps until just after a year, I could lay him down to bed wide awake and he would fall asleep almost instantly with no help. I never did anything, that's just how he slept.

Now it's harder. I need to rock him to sleep every night and every nap. He goes through periods where he wakes up frequently in the night. We didn't do anything different, we still have the same bedtime routine every night. Once he's asleep he's pretty easy, now it's just getting him to sleep that a little more time consumming.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#20 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielni View Post
She can get him to sleep in 5-10 minutes, starting from when he rubs his eyes. It's amazing and I don't know what her magic trick is. She tells me he just falls asleep on her.
My DS is the same way with my grandma who keeps him during the day while DH and I are at work. He will go right to sleep for her but he fights it with me or DH. So can I say he is a good napper....IMO no, but his G.G. (great-grandma) would have a different opinion.

DS is a great sleeper at night. He has slept for 6+ hours at night since he was 6 weeks old. I am still bfing but he self-weaned himself at bedtime and doesn't want to nurse to fall asleep. He goes to his crib awake but sleepy at 9PM, puts himself to sleep quietly and sleeps straight through the night without a single squeak most nights. During the week I awake him around 6:15 to nurse before I go to work and on weekends he awakes on his own between 7 and 8. He then nurses and goes back to sleep for another hour.

I think it was pure luck for me to end up with a good sleeper. Maybe God knew I can't function without my sleep and decided to bless me? I can't say I did anything to make him this way. Only thing I can think of is genetics since I have always liked to sleep. He looks just like my baby pictures and according to my mom and grandma, acts just like me too.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#21 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM

I haven't read the other replies, but I have an excell;ent sleeper. Other thabn sleeping alone in a bed, he has always been exactly whqat you described. He essenetially slept through the night, rousing slightly to nurse, from the day he was born. i went back to work with the babe in the sling when he was 2 weeks old. we have both always been well rested.

He is my youngest. i've had two very high needs "colicky" infants and one that was just slightly easier than his sister.

What did i do differently with ds2?

not a darned thing, other than UC instead of MW assisted birth, and I have talked to enough other UC'ers about this to know that skleeping well is not a typical characteristic of a UC babe.

I think it's just the luck of the draw and possibly genetics, since my kids don't all have the same biological father.
#22 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Acceptance was what helped melearn my DS1's sleep needs. By the time I got with the program (so to speak) he was severely sleep deprived, and had been for months. I learned about babies and how they sleep, and figured out that;

a. everyone giving me advice could go stuff it.
b. I was always missing his sleepy window, and setting myself up for frustration
c. he NEEDED me to be close by

Then all my hard won wisdom was wasted, b/c DS2 is a fantastic sleeper!

I did set a routine for DS1, tho' because he could NOT figure out how to get himself to sleep. for him, it took a looonnngggggg routine, exactly the same every night. DS2 gets mad at me if I don't recognise that he wants to nap, and do his five minute nuk-pat-bounce routine!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#23 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Mine sleep pretty good.

My first always nursed to sleep. He took 3 naps a day until 11 months old, then 2 until 16 months, and now, at 30 months old, he still takes 1 nap every afternoon. All of those naps have been in the 1.5-3 hour range. He is 2.5, and he goes to bed at night, wakes in the morning. I don't hear from him unless he's sick or (rarely) poopy.

My 6 month old sleeps pretty well, too. He has never nursed to sleep (refuses to). He is still in the 2 hours awake/2 hours asleep sort of stage, and he wakes twice at night to nurse (I just added the second nursing to combat him trying to wake too early--so, if given his druthers, he'd wake once and get up crazy early). But no playing in the middle of the night craziness.

They both slept in their own beds from the beginning, though. I tried cosleeping at first with both of them, and we were all miserable. Even now, I nurse lying down in the middle of the night, but as soon as he's done, he's back to bed. I just can't sleep with a little baby next to me.
#24 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM

i think it's all about personality and the individual child's needs.

DS1 responded very well to routine and still has a nap every day (he's 3) for about 2 hours. i never let him fall asleep while drinking from a bottle (he was FF.) he didn't really start sleeping through the night without waking until he was about somewhere between 10 to 12 months. he REFUSED to co-sleep. wouldn't even sleep on my chest in the bed. the only way he would sleep anywhere near me was if we were on the couch. no idea why. he did ok in the bassinet and crib though. now he sleeps through the night and has since he was about a year old. even if he wakes up, he doesn't remember and isn't really awake. he has comfort items that he sleeps with.

DS2 (4.5 months now) and i fall asleep on the couch every night (around 10 p.m.) while he's nursing. oops! his daddy wakes us up when he's ready for bed, puts DS2 in his crib and he stays asleep. sometimes, if he's fed and tired, he will put himself to sleep in the crib but only if it's nighttime and dark. every night, he has been adding an hour on the time he sleeps in the crib. he got up about 3 a.m. or so hours after going down last night, came to bed with me and nursed back to sleep. i don't know how many times he nurses in the night but i think he sleeps til about 6 and nurses back to sleep again. i am his comfort item.

naps though? i never know if DS2's going to nap during the day and he will only really nap if i nurse him or rock him and put him in the bouncy/vibrating chair or if i he's fed and tired, he will go in the swing. some days, he barely naps. he will only nap in the playpen after about 8 p.m. for some reason. if i go anywhere near it before that time, he opens his eyes. strange little man, this one!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#25 of 26 Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitakidcrazy View Post
*Not having the baby on a routine - following cues instead
*temperment/personality

What are your thoughts?

DD DOES still suck to sleep. The distinction in our family is that she sucks on a binkie, not me. I wanted other people to be able to put her down, so once she was past the newborn auto-asleep-on-the-boob phase, I would unlatch her when she began to drift off and insert the binkie. Worked perfectly as she does not need to nurse to go to sleep. She does still need her binkie, though, and dh and I are just fine w/ that

DD is on a routine. She naps at the same times every day and goes to bed at the same time. It may vary slightly due to errands and such, but the whole schedule will slide up and down, not just one nap. I really enjoy having her on a routine and was looking forward to her being old enough to start one. I started it when she was about seven months old. I did *base* it on her cues, but also did a little work to fit her sleeping into the times I felt were most appropriate for her.

Temperament plays a HUGE role in everything. DD is a flexible child who enjoys sleeping.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#26 of 26 Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 AM

Since he was 8 weeks my son has consistently slept by my side 8 to 9 hours every night (with one wake up around the 5th or 6th hour for a pee and a nurse back to sleep). Since 12 weeks he started not even waking to pee. I dont really know why, I think Im just incredibly blessed. My dh and I did not handle the first month of waking up all the time very well. Our baby just blended right in with our schedule. My dh works nights so we go to sleep at 3 am and wake up at noon. Now that he works later, we go to sleep at 6 and wake up at 3 pm. Its crazy, he just does what we do... I really dont understand it but I sure am thankful for it!!

I sometimes think it may be because he nurses huge meals (Im an f cup and he turns those suckers into floppity pancake boobs every night) before bed and spends all night digesting it... Or maybe its the memory foam matress.. Or the flannel sheets?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page