Mothering Forum banner

Do you feed your lo frozen veggies?

653 views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  2xshy 
#1 ·
We feed ds organic fruits and veggies. I can not find organic peas/green beans anywhere in my area, even Whole Foods (they do have frozen organic). I was buying him organic jarred peas and beans, but I wondered if frozen would be better? Thoughts?

#2 ·
Frozen is better. Fresh then frozen then canned. Canning uses high temps which in tern can destroy enzymes and nutrients. Frozen peas are great, and really bright green! I buy organic frozen fruit and veg usually in the winter and then try to add some fresh stuff.

#4 ·
I fed my LO frozen veggies for the first time today
I cooked them for the rest of the family then put some of the carrots in the baby food mill. She loved it She seems to love all food. Usually I have fresh stuff but it's been a bad week and I haven't been to the store -- frozen veggies are a great backup plan.

Our Safeway has a line of frozen organic veggies and the T.J.'s has them too -- peas, carrots, beans, and the mix. I like the mix. I don't know about the nutrition but the frozen ones taste SO MUCH better than canned IMHO. I figure if I can't stand canned peas why give them to the kiddos?

#6 ·
Frozen broccoli spears are SO convenient. You can thaw floret at a time and they're easy for the LO to gnaw on with the built-in "handle."
I think frozen-at-their-peak is more nutritious than the wizened stuff for sale right now.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by butterfly_mommy View Post
Frozen is better. Fresh then frozen then canned. Canning uses high temps which in tern can destroy enzymes and nutrients. Frozen peas are great, and really bright green! I buy organic frozen fruit and veg usually in the winter and then try to add some fresh stuff.
Frozen is often better than fresh. Frozen vegetables are frozen right after being picked instead of sitting in various warehouses for days and weeks.

#12 ·
ITA, frozen is way better than jarred. i don't buy much fresh produce in the winter because i prefer to buy local and try to avoid stuff grown overseas. steaming is the best way to preserve the nutrients - i use the steamer tray on my rice cooker, so any good stuff that gets steamed out ends up in my rice

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
Frozen is often better than fresh. Frozen vegetables are frozen right after being picked instead of sitting in various warehouses for days and weeks.
:
Especially in the winter.

#15 ·
We use frozen a ton on the winter for all of the reasons already posted. No worries, momma. You are doing great!

#16 ·
I do use frozen veggies. Like this I always have them on hand, other wise to get a big array of produce just to have half of it or more end up on the floor and the other half go bad if i dont use it fast enough is just not cost effective for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.