Probable switch to formula... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, i've been on Zoloft since december for PPD. But it turns out that I have a number of different problems, and zoloft just won't address all of them. My doctor checked and recheck all the different possible prescriptions... but said that zoloft was really the only one known to be mostly safe for breastfeeding. About all the zoloft has done for me is to dramatically decrease the intrusive thoughts regarding my baby. He said we'd try upping the zoloft again, and then if that didn't work, i'd have to choose between feeling better and being a happier mom on a better medication, or breastfeeding my baby and having her get the benefits of breastmilk. I'm really torn about this. While I really want my baby to get the benefits of breastmilk, I really do want to feel better.

If I do switch to formula, what kind should I buy? (i'm on wic) I know you guys might think i'm horrible for even thinking of switching to formula. It really is a tough decision for me.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#2 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 PM

Just a quick question--have you thought about getting milk donated to you? This site might be able to help:

http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

What a tough decision, mama! I don't envy your position. Wish I could help about formula, but I am woefully uninformed on that front. Best of luck to you.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 PM

I am so sorry you are in this position, but I applaud you for taking care of yourself and your baby! I second the suggestion of finding donor milk. I was a milk donor for ds's first 12m. One of the mom's I gave to had a medication issue which prevented her from BF and she was able to supplement with mostly BM. Hang in there mama!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#4 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Oh Mama, I am so sorry you are in this place. I agree with To-Fu, check out the milkshare for your little one. I don't know much about what formula to choose either, but I couldn't read and not reply. I hope everything works out.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#5 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the milk donor program has crossed my mind. Even if they could just give me 4 oz a day, that would help my babe with the antibodies she needs to fight off bugs and such. I'll for sure look into that.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#6 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM

I looked around for a "back-up" formula when I was preggo for the off chance that I would need it. I decided on Earth's Best Organic but never actually used it. It had the best reviews and balance of DHA/ARA of the organic options, USDA certified. I wouldn't go with soy since it is now said to be harmful if eaten too much.

On the bright side..I think I read that your LO was born on 9/17, so at least she had the wonderful benefits of BM for 5 mths & if she's ready for solids soon, she won't need to have much formula.

Good Luck with this difficult decision
#7 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 PM

With formula it's hit and miss. Some babies like one brand but it gives another baby tons of gas/makes them constipates/whatever.

I buy the Target brands version of Similac Advance with prebiotics. It's more expensive than the plain Target brand but still way less than the name brand.
#8 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM

I would first get a list of the possible medications you might be on, then make an appointment with an IBCLC and have her check Hale's Medications & Mother's Milk to see what class each drug is...it might not be as bad as you think to continue breastfeeding; the doctor was probably trying to cover himself for insurance purposes, but I know many women who have breastfed on other antidepressants, etc than just Zolof.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#9 of 47 Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 PM

You need a healthy mom to have a healthy babe. You've given a wonderful gift for getting this far.

As far as what formula, check to see what your WIC office supplies. It will either be an Enfamil brand or a Similac brand. I'd stick to what they will give you vouchers for if you end up going down that route.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#10 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 AM

WIC generally covers Enfamil and Similac, I think.

I definitely don't think you're horrible, not even close. You want to do what's best for your baby, and you're finding it difficult to decide what that is right now.

Personally, if I were in your place, I'd switch to formula in a heartbeat. If you can find a medication that works and is safe, great. If you can get milk from a bank or a donor so your lo can continue to get some breastmilk, wonderful. But you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of your lo, and if that means formula, go for it. Remember what the the flight attendants say - put on your own oxygen mask before helping your child into hers. If you can't function and are having intrusive thoughts, it's time to put on your oxygen mask. Yes, breastmilk is ideal nutrition, but your relationship with you lo is much more important than what she eats.
#11 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally, I would not make the decision to wean without first consulting Hale's book, Medications and Mother's Milk. There are many options available to breastfeeding mothers for mental health treatment.
#12 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I would first get a list of the possible medications you might be on, then make an appointment with an IBCLC and have her check Hale's Medications & Mother's Milk to see what class each drug is...it might not be as bad as you think to continue breastfeeding; the doctor was probably trying to cover himself for insurance purposes, but I know many women who have breastfed on other antidepressants, etc than just Zolof.
I know there are a few antidepressants etc that are compatible with breastfeeding and most Drs are NOT clued up on that! Especially now you child is older (i.e. not a newborn) the number of possible medications goes up as she will better tolerate some of them if they were to get (in small amounts) into your milk.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#13 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 AM

Oh, Rachel!!! I was in your DDC and I remember you so well!!! I am so sorry you're having trouble. This decision must be tearing you up. I agree with PPs that you should do what you need to do to be a healthy mama and not feel one ounce of guilt!!!

I'm on Lexapro and have been throughout pg and nursing. There's a big label on every bottle that says "DO NOT USE WHILE BREASTFEEDING" but I talked it over with my psychiatrist and decided to continue with meds while nursing. It wasn't an easy decision, but I'm at peace with it. I'm just doing the best I can, and so are you.

I couldn't not respond when I saw your name.... hang in there. :

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#14 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 AM

Research the meds yourself. MOST are safe while breastfeeding. Nearly all MDs are ignorant of this.

-Angela
#15 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 AM

A happy mom is more the best important thing. You'll be able to find something to help. Please don't get hung up on whether an actual Doctor tells you what you need. They aren't always evil.
#16 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Research the meds yourself. MOST are safe while breastfeeding. Nearly all MDs are ignorant of this.

-Angela
doctors are nowhere near perfect, and most will say anything to avoid liability. always do your own research. look into alternative forms of treating your mental health problems...holistic treatments, chiropractic, acupressure/acupuncture, talk therapy, art/music therapy, group support.

I would not ever stop breastfeeding for any reason unless there was no other way. In your case, there probably is another solution. Formula is second rate. Nothing compares to breastmilk...nothing.
#17 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
And there are numerous ones that are not. Especially when you get into pyschotropics.

OP, you do what you need to do in order to be healthy. That is first and foremost.

I was in a very similar position when I was nursing my twins. I got a lot of flack from some posters here (including nasty pm's) about weaning them in order to go on meds. The bottom line was I needed meds to keep me alive and sane. The meds I needed were not ones you can take while nursing. I made the decision to wean and take my meds. Three years out from that I am happy, sane and ALIVE. My twins are 5, happy, loving and amazing little people. I have NO regrets about doing what was best for me, for my family at that time.

Breast is best. But not if it means that mom is thinking of hurting herself or her babes. Breastmilk won't do anyone any good if mom or babe ends up hurt or worse.

Much love to you! I know how hard this is. Feel free to PM if you want to talk.

:
#18 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 02:33 AM

There are quite a few anti depressants that are compatible with nursing, but should non of those work, and you need to try ones that arn't, you shouldn't feel any guilt over it like these women are implying.

Formula is not poison, and your child deserves a mentally stable mother that doesnt want to kill themselves or the child. What use is breastfeeding for 2yrs if the kids mother kills themselves a week after the second birthday? Concentrate on getting yourself healthy so your child has a mother to be around at all to care for them, worry about the foodsource later.
#19 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosmommy View Post
doctors are nowhere near perfect, and most will say anything to avoid liability. always do your own research. look into alternative forms of treating your mental health problems...holistic treatments, chiropractic, acupressure/acupuncture, talk therapy, art/music therapy, group support.

I would not ever stop breastfeeding for any reason unless there was no other way. In your case, there probably is another solution. Formula is second rate. Nothing compares to breastmilk...nothing.
Not taking issue with you but a mother who is healthy and not wanting to hurt herself or anyone else IS better than breastmilk.

The OP is looking for formula suggestions if she needs them due to meds. Can we please support her, give her the information she needs and not guilt trips? Please?

:
#20 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 AM

Yes, we all know that breat milk is best. But for some of us breast milk is just not possible! Most of the time banked milk is pastuerized (which really defeats the whole purpose) and can be pricey. I formula feed (I did have donor milk but my LO was NOT tolerating it) and my LO is doing great! I would just talk with your ped. Mine recommended Enfamil over Similac but they are all about the same. Just remember, your LO will be just fine on formula!!! As a mom you do what you have to do.

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#21 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ*Doula View Post
Personally, if I were in your place, I'd switch to formula in a heartbeat. If you can find a medication that works and is safe, great. If you can get milk from a bank or a donor so your lo can continue to get some breastmilk, wonderful. But you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of your lo, and if that means formula, go for it. Remember what the the flight attendants say - put on your own oxygen mask before helping your child into hers. If you can't function and are having intrusive thoughts, it's time to put on your oxygen mask. Yes, breastmilk is ideal nutrition, but your relationship with you lo is much more important than what she eats.
: ITA!

Do you know which meds you might possibly switch to? I'm pretty sure we have Medications & Mother's Milk at work. I'm off on maternity leave but would gladly call one of the other nurses to look it up for you!
#22 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post
Most of the time banked milk is pastuerized (which really defeats the whole purpose) and can be pricey.
From a milk bank yes, but not milk obtained directly from the donor, like via MilkShare. Recipient families only pay for shipping & supplies, not the actual milk. Milk bank prices are outrageous, but sometimes pasteurized donor milk is necessary for preemies or sick infants so it's good that it exists of course.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#23 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM

I suffer intrusive thoughts and suicidal feelings daily but I react to most anti depressants in a negative way so no one will prescribe them for me. I have learnt to live with this, it takes A LOT of getting used to but is possible as long as you have support as well.

As for increasing your current meds, really not a good idea if you are already responding to it negatively, I had this happen last year and it was very nearly the end of me.
#24 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Treatment for depression is most effective as a combination of meds and psychotherapy. If you're not already getting therapy, consider adding it to your treatment. Cost is an issue, but insurance is now required to cover mental illness the same as physical illness, as of 2008. And there's a HUGE difference between psychologists (great for therapy), psychiatrists (great for prescriptions), and general practitioners and OBs (not great for mental health in general). So consider how you're getting your treatment as well. More meds might not be your only option.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#25 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM

You are not even vaguely horrible for thinking of switching to formula! You have a medical need, and that's what it was invented for, so that when you have to, your baby can still be healthy while you are taken care of too.

I agree with PP who said that you should make absolutely sure the other drugs are contraindicated, and make sure you're doing talk therapy too. But once you've done that, if you can wait until your baby is six months and on solids the impact on her health will be much much less than if she wasn't on solids and was switched to formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireesix
I suffer intrusive thoughts and suicidal feelings daily but I react to most anti depressants in a negative way so no one will prescribe them for me. I have learnt to live with this, it takes A LOT of getting used to but is possible as long as you have support as well.
Tiresix, I know you're not trying to make her feel bad, I also cope with mental illness without medication. But if medication worked I'd take it in a heartbeat, and it's not a sign of any kind of failing to need or want to take the medication.

I wouldn't switch in a heartbeat, I'd cry and mourn and be angry, but I would switch. After all, what if one of those suicidal feeling wasn't just a feeling and the baby ends up with no mother at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBlue

a mother who is healthy and not wanting to hurt herself or anyone else IS better than breastmilk.
I totally agree, not dealing with thoughts of harming yourself or your baby is pretty valuable.
#26 of 47 Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

If you need to stop breastfeeding in order to feel better mentally, do it. You may feel guilty, but that's probably what moms do best, right? s: It will be ok.

As far as meds go, I am pregnant and breastfeeding right now, and take a low dose of Celexa for my anxiety and depression. I second the "ask an LC" suggestion, but if you find that what is compatible with breastfeeding is not working for you, do what YOU need to do, not what will make others happy. Breast may be best but not if it comes at the expense of the mother's mental health.
#27 of 47 Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 AM

Delicateflower,

I really wasn't trying to make her feel bad, just giving another option to potentially look at is all.

I was at the Docs last week practically begging for meds just so I could have a break and they wouldn't prescribe me anything.

As it goes though, there are many antidepressants that are safe to take when breast feeding so really the breast feeding shouldn't be a problem.

Also, its important to remember that antidepressants can take a little while to reach full effect.

http://kellymom.com/health/meds/anti...hale10-02.html might be of help.
#28 of 47 Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 AM

I agree with pp that the most important thing is for your baby to have a healthy mother - the long-term damage that untreated serious illness can do to you, your baby and your relationship certainly can outweigh the benefits of continuing to breastfeed.

That said, any decision to medicate and breastfeed is a balancing act between the benefit of the medication to mom, the risk of the medication to baby and the risk to the baby of formula feeding. Alegna is right that there are many medications that are be safe in breastfeeding - some require more management than others and others may mean reducing the amount you breastfeed, but not necessarily weaning altogether.

A really good and well trusted resource on this is the Motherisk Centre (www.motherisk.org). You can call them and talk to them about the options your doctor is suggesting and they'll help you think through your options.

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#29 of 47 Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Dear funfunky

A healthy mum and healthy baby are most important if you can not find an alternative formula is the way to go that is what it is there for. Don't feel guilty about making the decision that is best for your family

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post
Most of the time banked milk is pastuerized (which really defeats the whole purpose)
If milk banked milk is available even when pasteurised it is still a better choice because it is species specific whereas formula is not.

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#30 of 47 Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 AM

There are many medications compatible with breastfeeding, and it is true that often doctors don't know what is safe so they recommend premature weaning.

You can find more information at LactMed, http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT which is a searchable database of the published data available about specific medications and lactation.

Also, Thomas Hale (author of Medications and Mother's Milk, which is a great reference) has a website. He only accepts questions from healthcare professionals, but all answered questions are archived in a searchable database. If you're wondering about specific medications, it's easy to look them up. http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

You might consider sharing both resources with your doctor, both are fairly evidence-based so even the most mainstream of providers should be comfortable using them.

Whatever decision you make, your child has had the benefits of months of breastmilk and the closeness of the nursing relationship. You will make an informed decision about what is best for your family, and you deserve support and respect. I hope this dark time of PPD passes quickly so that you can return to enjoying your little one.

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page