Feb 08- Welcome to March of 09 - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Life With a Baby > Feb 08- Welcome to March of 09
BabyBump's Avatar BabyBump 01:05 AM 03-02-2009
I'm horribly behind on everyone's goings on. To think last year we were in the midst of babies, sleep deprivation, and everything else that comes with new babies!

Eli is turning from baby into toddler overnight. He tries to wash his hair in the tub, hang the kitchen towel up on the oven handle, has started scribbling with a crayon when he gets a hold of one. Also been very attached to mama lately. It worried me a bit how he's going to react in a couple of months when he has to share his mama.

Everyone here had a remarkably good weekend except Eli has the start of a cold. That's thanks to my niece coughing in his face and a SIL who doesn't seem to do anything about it. Same SIL just gave us two weeks notice. She wasn't quitting until I go on maternity leave but now has changed her mind. I odn't have a clue what we are going to do about daycare for 6 more weeks, until I'm off with the new baby.

I spent the weekend laptop shopping. We want to get rid of the ever so tempting computer desk and need to upgrade our current pc anyways. This pc will end up in Kendall's room for her to play her PBS kids games and other parental approved sites. It's just running out of room for pictures, videos, etc... I got a nice bonus from work plus we have employee purchase discounts thru Dell as they are who work buys their pc's from, so I'm looking at laptops. There are way too many options.

What was your weekend like?

Also, can someone like or Feb thread? I'm bad at that.

eilonwy's Avatar eilonwy 01:00 PM 03-02-2009
This time last year, I was taking my "last" dose of antibiotics. I spent the rest of the day pumping & dumping, preparing to nurse Bear again. A few days later, he started puking blood and I was readmitted to the hospital with a second MRSA infection. This year kind of sucks, but it's a hell of a lot better than last year.

I think BooBah may be reading on the sly. I'm also kind of wondering about Bear's eyes. He looks straight at me, but he also walks into things. Literally... at first I thought it was a coordination issue, being a new walker and all, but now I'm wondering if he just has really crappy peripheral vision or something because if like, a table leg is slightly off-center, he'll toddle right into it. He doesn't do any of the weird eye things, and his eyes don't appear to be crossed or anything, but I kind of wonder. Anyway, I'll ask about a referral for him later.

And now for something gross: Yesterday I had a teensy weensy bit of a stomach bug. I was in the bathroom dealing with the consequences of this when BooBah ran in and insisted that I move my bloomin' arse (somewhat less colorfully). She then sat down and said that she had "melted poop." Boobah has developed this habit of getting off of the toilet before she's finished doing whatever she's doing (I know, i have no idea why). Disgusting mess. ALL FOUR KIDS had this stomach bug *simultaneously*. Three of the four had ickiness running down their legs. There were *ten baths* between the four of them, because it was just so gross. : Being a parent is so freakin' glamorous I could scream. At least said bug appears to have been "brief" (by which I mean the bigger kids seem to have run through it). Urgh.

If I don't get out of this house I'm going to scream.

Mommy2Austin's Avatar Mommy2Austin 01:49 PM 03-02-2009
Oh Rynna! I can't even imagine dealing with that craziness!! Hopefully it was a one day thing!

Gave the dog a bath today. She does sooo well. I also managed to get her poo sample for the vet. DH is going to take it down to the vet this afternoon. Hopefully she'll be cleared to start the heartworm treatment so we can get the poor dear all better.

This time last year I was in the middle of the "new job adjustment" period. I was having trouble dealing with DH being gone from 11pm to 9am and then having to sleep during the day because the house was going completely to pot and I was just not dealing well. Now I relish having the bed to myself most nights (Steven is STTN most nights now in the room with his brother although he occasionally still needs to come sleep with momma. Totally didn't have to do CIO ) and the ability to DTD without worrying of who will wake up
lovetobemama's Avatar lovetobemama 02:03 PM 03-02-2009
BabyBump, thanks for starting us up! Hope the child care issue for the 6 weeks works itself out easily somehow!

Ugh Rynna...all I can say is ugh! Glad it is over!

M2A, so cute about the boys sleeping together well. Molly and I still co-sleep, with DS and DH in the other room, each in their own bed. Now that she has hit the 1 mark, I would like to start planning to get the kids in a room together and DH and I back together, but I have no clue how or when to go about it.
Also got to start thinking about the pacifier. I would like to see it gone sooner rather than later, but I don't know how and when to do that either. Oh well, gonna figure it out somehow!
steph117's Avatar steph117 02:55 PM 03-02-2009
last year at this time, my water had broken (with meconium) a couple of hours ago, and contractions were just getting underway, and i felt completely taken aback at how painful they were, and i came here to mdc to post and say "OMG contractions HURT" and then i got in the shower, and you ladies sent many lovely encouraging responses, which unfortunately i didn't get to read until many days later, because that was the beginning of three days of labor-land trance (ending in my hospital transfer...but i guess that's the story for wednesday, mia's birthday)!

ugh, rynna, just, ugh...hope that is done with very very soon.

i love that steven sleeps with his brother - so cute! (hope your dog gets better soon...)

eli sounds so cute! trying to wash his hair - that is hilarious. i didn't know you were expecting again...wow...i cannot imagine! you will be one busy bee!
lovetobemama's Avatar lovetobemama 03:10 PM 03-02-2009
Forgot to say that, Ema-Adama, I'm so glad to hear that you might have found a good group of like-minded mamas in your area. You can only be the "person sticking to her ideals" so long alone before it becomes too much! And also, even if you missed it, I still wanted to give you a : Congrats!!!
nolonger's Avatar nolonger 05:15 PM 03-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

And now for something gross: Yesterday I had a teensy weensy bit of a stomach bug. I was in the bathroom dealing with the consequences of this when BooBah ran in and insisted that I move my bloomin' arse (somewhat less colorfully). She then sat down and said that she had "melted poop." Boobah has developed this habit of getting off of the toilet before she's finished doing whatever she's doing (I know, i have no idea why). Disgusting mess. ALL FOUR KIDS had this stomach bug *simultaneously*. Three of the four had ickiness running down their legs. There were *ten baths* between the four of them, because it was just so gross. : Being a parent is so freakin' glamorous I could scream. At least said bug appears to have been "brief" (by which I mean the bigger kids seem to have run through it). Urgh.

If I don't get out of this house I'm going to scream.
Oh, Rynna, that's what we had and I skulked off before letting everyone know that the probiotics WORKED! Terran was over the violent puking within 24 hours, but this horrigble, foul-smelling liquid yellow poop just kept coming out of him and kept coming out of him (and what you describe as Boobah's urgency certainly sounds familiar, athough this kid likes to eliminate standing up now and I have yet to find an appropriate recepticle so I can't even say he's ECX'd any more, just that he knows what's going on, we have hardwood flors, and I'm way beyond being grossed out by bodily fluids) until I posted here, took everyone's advice, and mixed the contents of an acidophilus capsule with a bit of pedialyte in a shot glass, which he downed happily because of all the sugar and artificial flavours.

It was one capsule a day for either two or three days and then we had glorious wonderful normal baby poop again.

More than likely the other health issue is resolved too, but I don't feel better yet and I get ANGRY sometimes, especially about the permanent scars on my beautiful almost 20 year old's face and the indignity of having to wear sweatshop made clothes (polyester is better than natural fibres) and a zillion other things that make me mean.

Terran is 100% fine, though; no scars, no more lesions, no more itching.

I won't be weaning, but I may not be very easy to get along with so I'd rather lurk than lash out.
salt_phoenix's Avatar salt_phoenix 05:43 PM 03-02-2009
busy but subbing
birthmommom's Avatar birthmommom 10:17 PM 03-02-2009
Well I think I can do my one post that I seem to manage when a new thread starts.

babybump...wow I had no idea you were expecting especially in a month wow.

Rynna...so yucky about the poo situation. i must say that Henry has had this terrible yellow mucous stool for a few days and now there is blood in it so the dr wants stool samples...yum. I have been home sick today with vomiting and number 2 issues myself, hopefully it goes by quickly.

m2A...glad to hear that you have your bed to yourself again and super cute that the boys sleep together.

Love2bemama...about the pacifier thing, I to want to see it gone before next year. So I have decided to do this whole week where he can only have his paci for nap and bedtime, then 2 weeks of no paci at nap, then after that no paci at bed adn it will be gone forever. We cannot seem to do cold turkey about things so hopefully thsi will work. Whatever you choose just be firm about it.

NOS...glad to hear that Terran is feeling better...we may have to do the probiotic shot too.

So things have been busy. we got our taxes done and have been able to pay off a good amount of medical debt. Henry got his ear tubes in last week so that should help with the doctor visits. Found out that Henry has low iron and it hasn't improved so he is one a strong iron supplement for a month to see how that works. He is a very picky eater already.
He started walking on this birthday and has now decided that this will be his main form of transportation. So he has been doing some time in the toddler class which i think has helped his walking.
He seems to still have his dairy allergy, not so bad though things he eats at school are iffy.
We bought a new washing machine and a vacuum...being an adult is so exciting.
Savannah's birthday is this month, she will be six on 3.12...kinda crazy.

So far 2009 has been good , hopefully it stays that way.

mamas. Happy birthday March babies.
Mommy2Austin's Avatar Mommy2Austin 10:31 PM 03-02-2009
I think I accidently fried DH laptop cord...

I had it on the counter next to our stove because I didn't want the kids to get it and when I made dinner it was sort of on the stove...(I was only using the oven.) I'll know shortly if we need to buy a new one, but I haven't told DH

ETA: We're safe...phew....I think something is wrong with the outlet I had it plugged into.
PlayaMama's Avatar PlayaMama 01:10 AM 03-03-2009
nak, real quick. linnaea's newest baby trick is taking a piece of toilet paper and pretending to wipe her bum. unfortunately she then has the habit of putting it in her mouth.
Mommy2Austin's Avatar Mommy2Austin 01:39 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
nak, real quick. linnaea's newest baby trick is taking a piece of toilet paper and pretending to wipe her bum. unfortunately she then has the habit of putting it in her mouth.
That is too too funny!!

Steven's latest has been whenever my dad comes to see them and talks to him Steven goes into full on cheesy grin mode. His eyes get all squinty and he grins as big as his mouth will go and makes that "ehhhhh" grinning type noise.
nolonger's Avatar nolonger 02:58 AM 03-03-2009
Terran still loves the word "no" asnd says it constantly, but not in an unpleasant or argumentative manner and it's kind of contagious; dd and I find ourselves walking around cheerfully saying "no no no no no no no" too these days.

It's not meaningless noise, either, just a word and a concept that he's playing with and hopefully will have an easier time saying and MEANING than my doormat self.
echoecho1528's Avatar echoecho1528 03:51 AM 03-03-2009
Subbing
Dea's Avatar Dea 04:03 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
Terran still loves the word "no" asnd says it constantly, but not in an unpleasant or argumentative manner and it's kind of contagious; dd and I find ourselves walking around cheerfully saying "no no no no no no no" too these days.

It's not meaningless noise, either, just a word and a concept that he's playing with and hopefully will have an easier time saying and MEANING than my doormat self.
Heh, I do this too, Trixie yodels and they sound like "dodel dodel dodel" or "yogi, yogi, yogi", or "odie, odie, odie" and about a million other variations, but I find I mimic them back to her, or just say them so she will because it's so cute!
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 05:26 AM 03-03-2009
River's doing that talking thing that comes from being a walking person. Unfortunately I'm too sleepdeprived to have any idea what it is he's saying. I've had six hours in bed and was up to breastfeed six times IN those hours. TIme to nightwean.

Totally self-absorbed, but I do care, i promise.
ema-adama's Avatar ema-adama 06:39 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
River's doing that talking thing that comes from being a walking person. Unfortunately I'm too sleepdeprived to have any idea what it is he's saying. I've had six hours in bed and was up to breastfeed six times IN those hours. TIme to nightwean.

Totally self-absorbed, but I do care, i promise.
I've been meaning to ask about night weaning. This was not something I seriously thought about until one of the mums in the funky new group that I found said you have to as BM is very very sweet and causes tooth decay.
I thought that formula is more of a problem at night and to be honest I see no other way to get Hillel to sleep and back to sleep in the middle of the night. And for now it is working for us.... although he has discovered that he can make fart like sounds if he blows on my breast, and this can be rather distracting when it comes to inducing sleep
Also, isn't there a reason milk teeth are called milk teeth? It's not as if these are his teeth for life, or am I missing something?
nolonger's Avatar nolonger 07:35 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
am I missing something?
Nope.

Megan, do you ever post in the child-led weaning or breastfeeding beyond infancy forums?

: Helen. I'm not sure whether you were serious or not about night weaning so I'm not sure what to say.
ema-adama's Avatar ema-adama 09:16 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
Nope.

Megan, do you ever post in the child-led weaning or breastfeeding beyond infancy forums?

: Helen. I'm not sure whether you were serious or not about night weaning so I'm not sure what to say.
Thanks NOS

Nope, haven't posted there, I thought I would start here. The mom who recommended it was a bit feisty and when I asked her to clarify it didn't make sense....
It does seem to be a favorite aurgument from pediatric dentists when meeting breastfeeding mothers.
Again, thanks
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 09:39 AM 03-03-2009
NOS, right now I would happily chop off my left boob and let him suck on that all night long if it increased my quality of sleep. The correct thing to say is that even if I do nightwean, he may not sleep through the night, etc., etc, yadda yadda yadda. You can also remind me that we do tend to have a bad week and then a few good ones and that this will pass even if I do nothing. I'm really not convinced that there is any good reason for feeding a child who can walk and talk every hour on the hour throughout the night, though, apart from comfort. Which he does accept in other ways. Like snuggling daddy. And bum patting. What I'm finding is that he wakes up from 9-midnight, squawks once, goes back to sleep. From midnight onwards, he looks around, goes "oh, mummy's over there", stands up and starts calling mamamamamamama. Big difference. I'm just burnt out and I need a break and to mother myself.

Megan, there is no clinical justification for nightweaning from a kids wellbeing pov, though dentists will argue the toss on this one sometimes.The teeth will start falling out and being replaced with adult teeth somewhere between 5 and 8, and that's generally an unpleasant time too.

Oh, and I talk baby too

Carrie That's funny...

A good friend of mine had her fourth section on Sunday after transferring in from a homebirth. Baby is 14lb8oz, and is having difficulties keeping her blood sugars stable. Can you send her vibes, please? I'm expressing for her, and she has access to another friend's freezer stash but it's still a worrying time for them even before she starts grieving the transfer.
BabyBump's Avatar BabyBump 09:41 AM 03-03-2009
lovetobemama Pacifier--- we want to get rid of it too. Just not sure how- slowly or cold turkey. Right now he only gets it when he's tired or not dealing with a car ride well. I just as soon be done with them. We are down to one anyways so maybe when this one disappears.......

Eli has an ear infection and had a rough night-we all had a rough night.
Jezzy's Avatar Jezzy 12:42 PM 03-03-2009
NOS Ash is also saying no all the time and wagging her finger at me. Here is a pic of her doing it. No no no. I feel guilty I am really not saying no all the time. Makes me feel like a bad mommy
Here are a couple more cute ones. In the laundry bin two
Glad that you are feeling better. I hope the scars go away on your dd's face.

Hugs to everyone else

Ohhhh I almost forgot. My ds is 16 today :: Wow 16 seems like yesterday...
salt_phoenix's Avatar salt_phoenix 01:22 PM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Here is a pic of her doing it.
hahaha I see that Ember isn't the only one that LOVES "harvesting" the wipes!

Ember has a nasty cough that came from Sagan... Extra whining, extra nursies, extra everything but sleep... and teeth.
sarahn4639's Avatar sarahn4639 02:02 PM 03-03-2009
Alright, another month with you lovely ladies!

Carrie, that is disgusting and hilarious!

Julie, James has had that cough for 2 weeks now. It sucks and it's been coming and going. It definiltey leads to more nursing and less sleep here as well. I hope Ember kicks it quickly. How are all your projects coming? I need to start planning my garden, I can't believe you're actually able to be working yours!

Emily, we are dealing with all the same things. James just uses a pacifier at nap and some overnight and I always leave it when he's at the babysitter's but I don't think he gets it much there. I'm torn between it helping him sleep and getting to a place that it will be difficult to get rid of. Dave and I have also been talking about moving James from our bed. I feel weird about it, Grace slept with us until about 20 months but I need better sleep and I think he may sleep better that way as well. We need to figure out how to do it. Grace's toddler bed turns into a crib so do we do that or just put them in a double bed together? I think they'd have each other up all the time, they both wake thru the night but at different times and are up early enough in the am as it is!

Helen, I'm also thinking about night weaning. I night weaned Grace when I got pregnant and it just hurt too much to nurse. Now I just need the sleep. My mood, my weight, my kids, and my husband are all suffering from me not getting enough sleep and not enough consecutive sleep too. I agree with you that it doesn't mean they'll sleep thru the night but I'm thinking about giving it a try. Maybe next month.....let me know what you do and how it goes. Good thoughts for your friend too!

Heather (NOS), I'm glad you got the tea, if it helps you a little thru this time it will be worth it. I'm glad everyone else seems to be clearing but you still have them? Oh, and I totally understand you being angry, I would be too.

Heather (BB), How exciting that you are so close to having this baby! How are you feeling? I hope everything works our for you finding childcare, that stinks that you are having to deal with this.

Rynna, I hope you got out of the house and are feeling better.

Sarah Lynne, Steven sound so cute, little kids and the things they do crack me up.

Steph, Happy almost birthday to Mia! I hope you have peace about your birth. You are such a strong woman!!

Allyn, good to hear from you. I'm sorry Henry needed tubes but I hope he's feeling better! If he has a dairy allergy it will help his long term ability to handle it if you abstain completely from it now.

Sharun, cute pics!! And happy birthday to Christian and you as well!

Megan, I agree with the others on the need to night wean.
eilonwy's Avatar eilonwy 03:28 PM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
A good friend of mine had her fourth section on Sunday after transferring in from a homebirth. Baby is 14lb8oz, and is having difficulties keeping her blood sugars stable. Can you send her vibes, please? I'm expressing for her, and she has access to another friend's freezer stash but it's still a worrying time for them even before she starts grieving the transfer.
: 14 lbs 8 oz?! Wow, dude! Bella walked when she was that big, and she was 15 months old. Incredible. :

Well, the older two are finished with the poops, as am I, but Bella had one this morning and Bear, naturally, has already pooped four times since 9:30. He's asleep now, and I'm counting it as a normal, "My siblings are being relatively quiet so I'm gonna take advantage of the opportunity" nap. In better news, immediately after breakfast I snagged Bean for schoolwork. He finished very quickly (usually does, when he's on it) and then sat next to me reading for about an hour and a half. He read Tye May and the Magic Brush as part of his schoolwork, then spent about half an hour with a book of world religions and the rest of the hour on Time Cat. Time Cat was a book the librarian helped him select when I told him that I wanted to see at least one fiction book in the pile. He loves it! : He's calm, he's quiet, and he marked his page and went upstairs to play games on the computer. Lovely morning with the BeanBoy.

Nightweaning deserves a quiet night... the photograph on the dashboard, taken years ago,.... okay, okay, that's enough. My thoughts:

For me, nightweaning always struck me as a silly notion. Why in the world would I want to get rid of the only nursing time when the baby was calm, efficient, and "easy" to nurse? With Bean I had to sit up to nurse for a long time (Bella too) because he was so small, but even at six months the difference was so fantastic. Instead of popping off to look around or trying to turn his head to talk to daddy and taking my nipple with him ( ) he just latched on, nursed, and was unconscious again. I could pop my finger in there and unlatch him and there was no argument, just a sigh and a bit of lip smacking before he rolled over. Ah, those were the days! He slept right through it. BooBah was obscenely easy, of course-- if there was any skin exposure, she'd latch right on and neither one of us would wake up. The big drawback with her was that I didn't even wake up enough to roll over (as I did when Bean and Bella were bigger, because they'd wake me or because they'd latch to the wrong part of the boob)-- I'd wake up with one totally flat boob & attached baby, and the other boob would be dripping milk on her head.

Bellatrix LeBella will be three at the end of this month and ladies, she STILL wakes up in the middle of the night. No, she's not nursing and she hasn't been for a while. She wakes up just because she does-- she has nightmares, or Mike snores obscenely and that wakes her, or whatever. In fact, the nights that she doesn't wake up are beyond exceptional-- I honestly can't remember if it's ever happened. Some kids wake up in the middle of the night, and they'll do it regardless of whether or not they're nursing. Yes, my bottle-fed baby sleeps through the night, but in all honesty a) he did that while he was nursing and b) his formula is, truly the most like breastmilk of any formula in existance. Truly-- it's the only formula around that counts as a 'clear liquid' because of the rate at which it is digested. After all, it's got no proteins in it whatsoever, and it's amino acid profile is very similar to breastmilk's. Not only that, but two of my three exclusively breastfed kiddos slept through the night *well* before they were a year old. Bean went to bed late and woke up early (he's never been a huge sleeper) but BooBah slept TONS right from the gitgo.

Sleep is important for grownups, yes. So is nutrition-- I know I harp on it a lot, but it's still true: Iron, iron, iron!! If you're breastfeeding and you're menstruating and you're chasing kids, you're probably anemic. Get on top of that! Making sure that your nutritional status is superb will insure *quality* sleep, and that's what you want to go for. Make the most of the time that you have.

Okay, all that said, if at 12 months the kiddo's still waking to nurse every hour on the hour, he's probably hungry and/or growing and needs more to eat before bed. If it's at all possible, shove the hubby into the kitchen to make a snack for the little fellow. If that's not possible, try to see that he gets a proteinacious snack in the evening-- something toddler-friendly, which will vary from family to family.

Hm. It's so calm and quiet that I'm afraid to move. What to do, what to do...

Gena 22's Avatar Gena 22 04:42 PM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Nightweaning deserves a quiet night... the photograph on the dashboard, taken years ago,.... okay, okay, that's enough.
Hilarious, Rynna! And thanks for the reminder about nutrition and iron. No one in my household eats well these days. But we're trying. And it's not like my iron is going to AF. Haven't had one of those in almost 2 years now! Just wanted to brag. I know I'll miss these days when / if I ever stop BFing. For now I'm enjoying fitting into my skinny jeans!

Emily, good luck with the paci battles. We only used one briefly, but I remember feeling like Izzy's Binky Butler. There with the pacifier when she wanted it, and chasing after the lost ones. Hope breaking the habit goes well!

Ema-adama, thanks for mentioning that milk teeth are just that. I've heard that we're supposed to clean baby teeth after nursing and before bed, but I never have.

My excuse is that we only have 2. Any other gummy babies out there?

Sharun, what great pics!
nolonger's Avatar nolonger 05:22 PM 03-03-2009
Helen, I don't need to tell you what you already know. I could say something about my two prematurely weaned kids (and I grieve more for the one I weaned at six years than the one that was taken from me at six months because I KNEW BETTER the second time) or i could say something about how fragile nursing relationships with one year olds are or i could say something about how much i personally love nurslings who are old enough to show their gratitude but none of that sounds very supportive of your situation.

:

So don't mind me; i'm jiust the loony you saved from a tragedy my doctor thought was "killing two birds with one stone" or "taking care of that other problem for free" with the antihistamines and i'm too grateful to you for that to EVER say anything negative about your parenting choices.

Megan, I'm "stalking" you on the vax forum because i really do need to educate myself for talking to MDs and i'd be more comfortable talking about RESISTING the pressure to wean our tiny toddlers on the breastfeeding forums in light of Helen's and Sarah's situations. I'd love it if Moufy the third nursed as long as his big sister did, but that's not the norm in my country and i'm not playing the "crunchier than thou" game, especially since i need to vent about my troubled teen and my mommy guilt on this thread sometimes so pretty much anyone is crunchier than me in light of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Ohhhh I almost forgot. My ds is 16 today :: Wow 16 seems like yesterday...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTIAN!!!!!:::

And if you feel like a bad mama instead of the goddess you are, I don't even want to think about what that makes me; neither of my kids even wanted to live with me when they had their 16th birthday. I want to tell you it gets better, but I haven't really heard you say anything negative about Christian in ages and even thgen it sounded like normal teenager stuff to me.

Sarah, thank you for understanding and not being grossed out ior just plain bored with all my OCD details. :

Terran has thinner skin than dd and me, so he has already shed the layers with the dead mites, dead eggs, mite poop etc. and is essentially "cured" unless he gets reinfected. dd and i have no way of knowing if we are still infested or not other than looking at Terran and waiting.It's easy to misinterpret the contact dermatits (side effect from the insecticide) as reinfestation, treat again, make yourself worse, and wind up truly weird in the head.

FWIW, i could have used sulfur instead of a neurotoxin and i did for Terran's and my second treatment, so that might have been what knocked it out and not the elimite at all. You can buy a product called Sulfur 8 from the ethnic hair section that is plenty strong enough (2.5%) for a thin-skinned infant but questionably strong enough for a pregnant or nursing Mom, who might need 10% sulfur cream.

The doctiors won't prescribe sulfur any more because they don't want us to be traumatuized by stained and smelly clothing or to interfere with our relationships with our furniture.

"Bottle! Aisle three! Next customer please."
smokeylo's Avatar smokeylo 06:01 PM 03-03-2009
Mamas, please forgive me for not being around to celebrate our other birthdays and enjoy the fun here. The Iowa Midwifery Licensure Act is in committee and it's just constantly keeping me busy between school and Robin, etc. So I'm not ignoring you, just crazy busy!!!
lovetobemama's Avatar lovetobemama 07:27 PM 03-03-2009
Hi Lauren! Come when you can!
Rynna, so glad it was a great morning!

Just have a second, but just wanted to share my 2 cents on night-weaning. I don't know what we will do for Molly. But I'm sure talking with you all on this thread will continue to influence my thoughts/feelings.

But just FYI, we night-weaned DS at 15 mos. He was waking up EVERY HOUR to nurse, and throwing HUGE fits if either of us ever tried some other means of soothing him. It had not been a pattern of a bad week, then 2 good weeks. It was a pattern of 20 bad nights, then 1 good one, then 20 bad ones again.

We came up with this plan: lots of eating in the day, big snack before bed, special water cup in bed, no night nursing, and full co-sleeping with dad for the first 2 weeks while he adjusted to no nursing. So he still had plenty of comfort with dad, but I wasn't even in the bed. I slept in the other room. And for the first few nights, we only went till 3 am. At that time, DH brought him to be in the other room and I nursed him there, but never again nursed him in our bed. Then when he went till 3 am without crying, we went to 4 am. and kept stretching it out each day for a week or so.

He needed a lot of comfort the first 2 nights, but then started sleeping long, long stretches, and by 2 weeks was easily waiting till 6 am to "wake up".

*He did continue to wake up at night for comfort until after his second birthday. But it was 1 time per night (occasionally 2), instead of 8.
*And our nursing relationship was not damaged at all, as far as I could tell. He continued to nurse perfectly in the day, and at 3 yrs, 3 mos, has just about weaned, but every once in a while will still nurse.

So, Molly isn't waking up more than 3-4 times per night, so we are nowhere near what Ben was doing (and what River is doing this week). I am going to see how things progress, but am not afraid of night-weaning if she starts waking up a bunch more. There is definitely a balance to be found.

As for the pacifier, I laughed so hard at the Binkie Butler comment!! She only has it in her bed for nap and night, but she keeps it in her mouth the entire time she is sleeping, and I really am starting to feel like I would like to see it gone. Just don't know how or when, though. So many questions!!
Dea's Avatar Dea 02:38 AM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post

My excuse is that we only have 2. Any other gummy babies out there?

Sharun, what great pics!

Gena, Trixie has no teeth. Still all gums and lots of smiles. Apparently I didn't have teeth until I was 18 months and DH at 9 months, so she should get some soon one would expect.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up