Am I insane? Traveling with baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I have the opportunity to go to Cancun for 5 days next November for an amazing price, when our little one will be approximately 5 months old. I know we would NOT be able to leave her, and DH and I would REALLY like to take a vacation like this...we never really got a honeymoon, as our honeymoon trip turned into a humongous disaster involving bug infested mountain cabins and the most uncomfortable bed in the world...and we ended up at the Hampton Inn halfway through. My parents volunteered to watch her, but it's just NOT happening for 5 days. Baby would be coming with us.

So any way, I am just wondering: am I totally insane for thinking about traveling to Mexico with a 5 month old child? We've always said we wanted our children to come on our adventures with us, but maybe this would just be starting too soon. Then again, I'm thinking exploring Cancun would be more fun wearing a small baby that still naps a lot, then having an older child that you have to chase around...

This is all up in the air, because we haven't made our final decision on vaxxing, and if we decide not to, or to delay, we won't be traveling out of the country any way.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM

I totally think you should go. My husband and I just travelled with our 18 month old, and both agreed that we will travel when next baby is small--they nap, you can wear them, they nurse...it's just easier. And, the way I look at it is, with that age, you'll be doing the SAME things (care-wise) whether you're here or there. My vote is don't miss out on this trip!
#3 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 AM

It's absolutely easy. When they're that little and not on solid food etc it's a piece of cake. I wouldn't hesitate.

I've got a 4yo who has travelled extensively and it has never really been difficult. After they're mobile and eating different ages pose different challenges, but none are worth not taking a trip over.
#4 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 AM

I think that would be a perfect age to go! As a PP said, no solid foods, so that is easy. 5 months is easy to entertain, no mobility, still lightweight enough for easy carrying for long periods. I'd do it in a heartbeat!
#5 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We took our 4 month old and 3 year old to Puerto Rico. The Latin culture is so pro-child that I had so much help from strangers while I explored the city with just the kids. (My husband was there to work.)

Before buying your tickets, do some research into communicable diseases (your baby is still at a vulnerable age) and any travel warnings. We live an hour from the Mexico border and there is no way I would cross the border right now because of all the drug violence. However, Cancun is not near the border and may be safe. Just research.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 PM

I'd go also, especially at that age! You'll have your baby close to you the whole time and will most likely be nursing, he or she won't be moving around yet, so it would be perfect! I'd probably even go with an unvaxed babe. I was planning to go to Mexico this past year with my unvaxed baby, but I discovered that my baby is not so much for traveling, so we stayed home! She does fine on the actual trip, but it takes her a few days to unwind once we get home, and that part is exhausting for me!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#7 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsmom View Post
I'd probably even go with an unvaxed babe. !
:

I would GO !! Vaxed or unvaxed !! I am from the US living in a small village in Brasil (had my baby here) and I am delaying vaxes .. at that age and in Cancun (very developed, relatively safe) there's not a whole lot of threat for an odd disease, IMO .. the biggest thing to be cautious with is the water .. fruits/veggies rinsed in tap water, ice, etc .. and if you are EBFing no worries for your babe, just for yourself and your Dh .. so GO and enjoy your time !! Have fun !!

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#8 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Non mobile babies, particularly ones that are exclusively breastfed, are easy, easy, easy to travel with. We'd take a 5 month old baby pretty much anywhere. Our babies have always been more content on the go than at home.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#9 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM

It sounds like fun! Just be prepared for you LO to be completely cattywampus when it comes to sleep - both while there and when you get home.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#10 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 PM

DEFINITELY go!! Why in the world not? I find that age to be so easy for traveling - and especially when you're exclusively bfing, etc., it's no trouble at all.

We actually did go to Mexico (Puerta Vallarta) when my DD2 was exactly 5 months (DD1 was 2) and we all had a total blast!!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#11 of 22 Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Go - it's a perfect age. You'll never regret it!
#12 of 22 Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnindinner View Post
It sounds like fun! Just be prepared for you LO to be completely cattywampus when it comes to sleep - both while there and when you get home.
If you're lucky though, this won't happen. Heading south, if you don't change time more than an hour or two it might not be that bad. Our kids have always adjusted easily to time changes too, and with since we co sleep, our babies took cues from us... being in bed together in the dark meant that it was time to sleep.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#13 of 22 Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 AM

Absolutely go! We traveled to Orlando with my son who was 5.5 months at the time and he was fine! I'd step up the probiotics though, because even if he doesn't get exposed to any germy people, the stress of travel can lower a kid's immune system pretty fast.

And also I wouldn't let travel influence my decision to vax or delay. A 5.5 month old is simply not ready for that type of toxic barrage on their bloodstream, IMO. Especially if bf'ing, your child will be much better protected from your antibodies than a host of other toxic and foreign substances directly injected into their bodies. We forget that if something comes into our mouths, the air we breathe or into contact with our skin, our bodies have a natural way of filtering out what is bad and can potentially harm us. With vaccines, it's directly ijected so we have no natural defenses against the bad stuff. Just something to think about. It's not worth a 5-day vacation to potentially harm your child, yk? I really urge everyone even thinking about delaying to wait until age 2 at the least!

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#14 of 22 Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphysaangel View Post

And also I wouldn't let travel influence my decision to vax or delay.

It's not worth a 5-day vacation to potentially harm your child, yk? I really urge everyone even thinking about delaying to wait until age 2 at the least!
In my OP, I meant that the vacation depended upon the vaccinations, not the vaccinations on the vacation. If we decide not to vax and decide it won't be safe to travel, we won't be traveling. We would not put a vacation before our child's health.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#15 of 22 Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 PM

its so much easier before they can crawl! go now, while you still can!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
#16 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 AM

Go! And don't worry a bit about vaxes- Mexico has a higher vax rate than the US.

-Angela
#17 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 12:50 AM

I would totally go, for all the reasons everyone else stated. Just be very careful about the water. Your baby is safe, obviously, but you don't want to get the Revenge and end up dehydrated and cause problems that way. Just avoid the usual culprits and I'm sure it will be a fun trip.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#18 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 AM

Totally go! We went to Paris with ds around 6 months and it worked out great! So much easier with a babe than with a toddler! I highly recommend an Ergo carrier, if you don't already have one.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#19 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 01:04 AM

Just as a note, the recent murders in Mexico have been very specific and targeted. The people being murdered are all tied up in the drug trades. I would feel safe crossing the border right now. There were a few killings in Cancun about a month ago, but again, it was targeted and specific. Mexico is, so far, my favorite country to travel in, I have never been received so warmly and treated so well as when I am traveling in Mexico.

As to traveling with the 5 month, I say yes do it by all means! I travelled three occasions while my LO was under 6 months and it was a breeze! But know that in Mexican culture it is believed that when you see a cute baby you need to go touch its feet or back. It is a superstitious thing, I'm not sure of the details.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
We live an hour from the Mexico border and there is no way I would cross the border right now because of all the drug violence. However, Cancun is not near the border and may be safe. Just research.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#20 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 AM

One of my favourite things to do in this life is to travel with my kids. I say go for it and have a blast!
#21 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 03:57 AM

Oh, I wish I could, wish I could've and wish I could right now, go to Mexico! My DH and I originally planned to honeymoon w/ a 2 week trip around the Yucatan peninsula (including Cancun), but when I took a different job that year it got shortened to 1 week trip in the Canadian Rockies- great mind you, but I still want to go to Mexico!

Oh, please go, just for me!! In all seriousness tho really, if it were me and I had that opportunity, I would go, in a heartbeat. You and your little one will adjust to each other and you will work together as a family. Best wishes!

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
#22 of 22 Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Go!!!! I moved to Japan from the states when DD1 was 4 months old. It was super easy!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page