when do they space out feedings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the time she was born DD was never one of those eats every 2-3 hours like the book said. It was more like every 45-90 minutes, maybe 2 hours on a good day. She would go 3-4 hours at night when she was little, but not anymore. When do babies typically start to space out their feedings? Dd is 5 months and still eats every 45-90 minutes the majority of the time. I'll be lucky 2 or 3 times a week and get 3 hours between a feeding, but that's about it.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM

I hope soon!!
#3 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Hi- I'm trying to remember! I don't know where the 2-3 hours comes from, I've never met anyone who had a baby who nursed that infrequently. I for one was very surprised, though, to have a baby nurse every 45 minutes! (I was expecting the every 2-3 hours. I even wondered if she'd be able to go 4 hours without nursing!) I think it was around 5 1/2 months, actually, where the intervals increased to a couple of hours. I don't know what the "average" would be, if there is one! At 7-8 months (ish) she only nursed a couple of times during the day.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#4 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM

My dd started to space things out around 6 months. The busier she gets, the less time she wants to spend nursing. Now at 8 months, she can go about 3 hours btwn fedeings (not ever feeding, though.)
#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat. But now he sometimes goes a little longer when we're out & about & he's distracted.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 AM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones - my ds was on an every-3-hours feeding schedule LIKE CLOCKWORK. It was just his little body's natural schedule. He also slept through one feeding at night so Igot a solid 6 hour break, then would nurse back to sleep and get another 2-3 hours. It changed when he was teething, around 4 months, during the night and he began to seek me out every hour or so, but during the day he still maintained a 3-hour thing. He's 10 months now and night-weaned, for the most part, so during the day he's back to eating every 3 hours or so.

I think it just depends on the baby. Some don't ingest enough to last them 3 full hours. They get sleepy or distracted and then they're hungry again sooner. DS always had a ferocious appetite so he'd fill up and stay filled. No wonder my nips hurt so bad when he was born and we started bf'ing! I had to get him on a 20-min each nipple schedule, because otherwise he'd nurse for an hour and a half easy! It worked well and he really seemed to get plenty of milk from me with that timing. The rest was just for comfort nursing. When we started solids I thought we'd be out of house and home the way he ate it up! I can totally imagine what he'll be like as a teenager eating everything in my house!

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#7 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 02:27 AM

Dd was like that (during the day- she slept pretty well at night as a rule) until around 18mo or 2yrs.

-Angela
#8 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsmom View Post
I don't know where the 2-3 hours comes from, I've never met anyone who had a baby who nursed that infrequently.
everyone i know i'm starting to think at least some of them "held off" their babies by walking and rocking them. what's the point? they're screaming anyway! might as well feed them, which takes 10 minutes, rather than walk around for 30.
my little man nurses every 2 hours for nourishment but sometimes nurses for comfort to go to sleep or maybe just b/c he's thirsty (who knows?) every hour in between. he has since we worked out our latch (the first month or so) and he's 5.5 months now. if i take him out in the buggy or we go out in the car, he can last about 3 hours. also, overnight, he nurses about every 3 hours.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#9 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 04:18 PM

I'm getting wary of all those "babies do x and y at z age" statements, especially when it comes to feeding, fussing, and sleeping. I guess there are averages and norms but so many seem to be outside the norm. DD is 5 weeks and she doesn't even seem to have a routine- sometimes she nurses constantly (finishes up and then wants more 15 minutes later, then repeats that 3 times), sometimes she goes 3-4 hours between feedings. Sometimes she's remarkably fussy and acts like she doesn't really want to nurse but i know she must be hungry so I keep offering her the breast until she finally calms down and nurses for an hour. Other times she's fussy fussy fussy and then falls asleep without nursing when I soothe her. It's so hard to know.

I just hope it gets easier as time goes by, I don't think I can do this for a year! Or six months, or whatever.
#10 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 PM

DD(12 months) nurses every hour still, unless we're out and about or unless I'm at work, where she'll take a bottle after about 2 hours. At night, it's maybe every 3 hours, except for the a.m. cluster nurse. She is not eating any solids yet, if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page