Smaller Baby-Update#24 HELP!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD was born pretty small for a term baby. I don't know why. I didn't smoke/drink/etc. I took my prenatals the whole from TTC-forward. I eat decently.

But anyway, since she was born small (5 lbs. 13 oz. and 20 inches long), she obivously isn't going to catch up to her age group over night.

At her 2 month check-up the pedi. stated she is concerned about my DD's weight and is watching her closely. I am afraid she is going to urge me to forumal feed or something.

My DD weighed in at 8 lbs 14 oz and 22.5 inches long at her 2 month check up. From what I have read she is growing and gaining normally. I have read she should gain 1-2 lbs a month and about 1 inch per month, which she is doing. But she is only in the 8th percentile for weight in her age group so the pedi is all upset about it and making me feel like a bad Mommy.

I nurse DD on demand and she is strong and happy. Do you think there is really an issue? Or should I tell the pedi to shove it?

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
the pedi to shove it?

-Angela
Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 PM

My son wasn't quite as small-6 lbs 12oz-but all the doctors kept saying I would have this 8-9 lb baby based on my measurements. Well out popped my little peanut and he has moved between 10-20% on the charts ever since.

He is very proportional though and that is all my ped cares about. She doesn't worry so much about where the baby is on the chart, she wants to see a baby that is reasonably proportional in head size, weight, length.

So she would be MORE worried about a baby in the 25% weight and height but in the 75% for head size.

The chart many doctors use is based on babies who have formula or started solids very early.

here is a nice chart from kellymom:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Our baby was 6 lbs. even at birth and 19 in. She's about 13 lbs. at 5 months (25% for weight, 75% for height) DH and I are both tall and lean, and neither of us were chubby as babies. We skipped our 2 month visit and recently found a doctor we like and trust for her 4 month check up. He said the same thing betsyj did: she's proportioned well, strong and healthy, alert and responsive - weight is not as important. He said, with a laugh, "There's no failure-to-thrive happening here!"
Stand your ground, mama!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM

My DD was smallish 6lbs, 6oz when she was born. The doctors thought that was fine as long as she continued to grow. She is now 18mos and 17.2lbs (as of Tuesday). Her doctor seems to think that is just fine. She is in the 10% for length/age and under the radar on the weight/age chart. However she is increasing on the chart and that is what the doctor says is important. They care that she is alert, healthy, reaching her milestones and thriving in life

Unfortunately this doesn't stop people commenting on what a small child she is, everywhere we go and how I should be feeding her more to get more meat on her bones

I will also add that DH & I are both shorter and thinnish, so the apple didn't fall far from the tree!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:39 PM

You and your baby would probably benefit from a more supportive ped.

My DD was also born small (5 lbs 15 oz and 19.5 in at 39 wks). It seemed to take months for me to get over the guilt. I thought that I must have done something wrong in order to grow a baby that was born so tiny! Now, at 20 mo, she weighs almost 22 lbs and is 34 in! :

Our ped has always been super supportive. He has never once expressed concern over DD's growth. In fact, he alway said, "keep doing whatever you are doing...because it is working!" Those are the kind of words every mom appreciates hearing.

Your babe sounds like she is thriving

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Somebody has to be in the 8th percentile. These charts are so dumb...peds (and parents) tend to view it as a test, like it's somehow "good" to be in the 99th percentile and a failure to be in the 2nd. It's just a chart of averages.

Sounds like your LO is genetically petite. As long as she's gaining, and meeting developmental milestones ok, I wouldn't worry. You might want to start shopping around for a new ped, though...

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 PM

My friend is a dietitian and she works with kids. anyway, she said that where a baby falls on the growth chart for first 6-12 mos of their life is dependent entirely on their birth history (size at birth, nutrition in utero, etc). After 1 year they will generally settle into a certain percentile and barring unusual circumstances stay there. My point is that if she was born small, she'll stay in that smaller percentile...I would only be concerned if she dropped off the growth chart. I mean, my dd was 9lbs 6oz and is still 90th percentile at 9 months old...but I seriously doubt she'll be bigger and heavier that 90% of women her age as an adult!

Wife to dh and mama to : dd (7/08) and ds (11/09)
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Wow, you had a lot of the same fears I did. My DD who will be 1 year old on the 31st was born at 6lbs. 3 ozs and 19.5 inches. . For the longest time she only gained a pound a month. At the nine month check up she weighed 16lbs. 2 ounces. She is STILL in the 3 percentile for weight. For the first couple of months I had to go in every 2 weeks for a weight check but not once did our pedi even suggest formula. She is a healthy happy baby...albeit petite. I too did not drink, smoke, did all the healthy stuff I should have done. I had her at 39 and the last trimester had low amniotic fluid which was closely watched...but the birth was great and she has trived. She started eating solids at 6 months and is truly a little piggy. I still nurse on demand as well. I don't know where she puts it:?

I always got comments or questions; Was she a preemie?, does she eat enough, OMG she is how much older than my baby who weighs twice as much. I got to the point where I would respond "Oh yeah, we decided to stop feeding her so she wouldn't grow any more". That usually stopped the strangers from asking more questions...I guess I'm lucky they didn't call social services on me.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleysmama23 View Post
My friend is a dietitian and she works with kids. anyway, she said that where a baby falls on the growth chart for first 6-12 mos of their life is dependent entirely on their birth history (size at birth, nutrition in utero, etc). After 1 year they will generally settle into a certain percentile and barring unusual circumstances stay there. My point is that if she was born small, she'll stay in that smaller percentile...I would only be concerned if she dropped off the growth chart.
That was what I thought, too. And what our ped told me with two children, one at the bottom of the chart, one at the top.

I asked our ped to use the WHO charts instead of the formula ones, because they're based on a larger sample of children and are more accurate
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
should I tell the pedi to shove it?
:

Hi from your DDC!! If she's strong and content, and you know your feeding her when she wants to eat why worry?

My baby boy was born 3 days after your baby girl! (he's a little piglet though and is almost 14lbs now!)
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexlor View Post
Wow, you had a lot of the same fears I did. My DD who will be 1 year old on the 31st was born at 6lbs. 3 ozs and 19.5 inches. . For the longest time she only gained a pound a month. At the nine month check up she weighed 16lbs. 2 ounces. She is STILL in the 3 percentile for weight. For the first couple of months I had to go in every 2 weeks for a weight check but not once did our pedi even suggest formula. She is a healthy happy baby...albeit petite. I too did not drink, smoke, did all the healthy stuff I should have done. I had her at 39 and the last trimester had low amniotic fluid which was closely watched...but the birth was great and she has trived. She started eating solids at 6 months and is truly a little piggy. I still nurse on demand as well. I don't know where she puts it:?

I always got comments or questions; Was she a preemie?, does she eat enough, OMG she is how much older than my baby who weighs twice as much. I got to the point where I would respond "Oh yeah, we decided to stop feeding her so she wouldn't grow any more". That usually stopped the strangers from asking more questions...I guess I'm lucky they didn't call social services on me.
Bolding mine... this is totally what I deal with and what has me shaken. I usually blow it off because I say if there was a problem DD likely wouldn't smile as much or roll over or do her crazy arm/leg dance. lol Sometimes I guess a Mom just needs reassurance. Thanks for helping restore my confidence. I never listened to those silly charts for myself, don't know why they are bothering me so much for DD.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM

My DD is also small and it worries me at times - she has been in the bottom 10% of her age group since birth (she is 14 weeks now). I hate to be all shallow but I do worry that she will be really really short as an adult. I am average height (5'6") but both my husband and I have some real shorties in our family (his mother is less than 5' and I have cousins that are that short also).

My pediatrician has reassured me that it is not until they are around 2 years old that you can tell where they will fall in proportion to their age group.

Although I do have to say that being so tiny she is soooo cute - people have said that she looks like a little doll.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM

My babe was 6lb8oz at birth and exactly 9lbs at 2months. Your babe sounds great to me. She was 15lb8oz at six months, and we haven't weighed her since.

People still comment, and I just say that someone has to be at the bottom of the charts. She is healthy, vibrant and strong so I am not worried in the slightest.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is such a bummer that moms of little babies get all this flak. I mean--my kids were the ones at 97%+ and I didn't get this, and statistically it's likely your child is healthier than either of mine, we've got some things we're working on.

I vote for a doctor who's a bit more comfortable with the variations on normal. Consider a family practice doctor.

If you want to put some thought into whether this is the size babies you grow (someone's got to have small babies, they can't all be bigger than average), that could be useful--either you find something to address with your health, or you reassure yourself that things really are fine and your doc has too much time on his hands. Things to consider--does your baby seem fairly happy/healthy, what sort of health issues do you have (digestive problems, chronic stuff like allergies or depression, thyroid stuff, whatever) and see if it fits into any kind of pattern between the two of you.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Banned

It bears repeating SOMEONE HAS TO BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CHART!!!!! The chart is for healthy babies - some of them have to be on the 3rd percentile (like my very healthy DD!), some of them (like J, who was born on the same day as DD), on the 97th percentile. Weighing more isn't better, the important thing is that they gain - that is follow their line. Jumping up several percentiles isn't considered a good thing either!

Measure your child's head circumference and chart that. It matters more than anything else!

And look on the bright side - imagine how much lighter my 7.5 kg(16.5 lb?) 1 yo is compared to some of her chunkier friends! It is a blessing for my back!!!! Also, she still fits a lot of her 6 month old clothes, which is also handy!

It is true, we get a lot of dumb comments (Older lady in shop last week: "5!" Me: "What?" Lady: "5 1/2!" Me: "5 1/2 what?" Lady: "Months!" Me: 1 year old"), but we have also always been told how cute, beautiful, gorgeous she is, and I suspect this is very much because she is so petite!

Enjoy your petite LO, and welcome to join us, there's a thread called Parents of skinny/small babies (or something like that) here in LWAB!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:45 AM

I can relate to what you're dealing with. My son was born at 39w 5d and was 5lbs 14.9 ozs and 19.5 inches long. The on call pediatrician at the hospital actually asked me if he was a premature or if I'd smoked, drinked or done drugs while pregnant. I didn't, I ate healthy all of that stuff, he was just born small.

The first ped. we had wouldn't stop bugging us about his size. She relied heavily on the standard charts, and was talking about putting him on a high calorie formula.

We changed pediatricians, and the new Dr. is great, she's not worried about his size at all. She said he looks healthy and fine. He's 6 months old now and at his last visit he weighed 16lbs 9ozs and was 25 1/2 inches long.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 PM

I have a little one too.
He was 6lbs. 12 oz when born and his 9mo. check up he was in the 25% for weight at 18 1/4lbs.
I don't think he weighs much more than 20lbs. right now and he'll be a year April 12th.
The ped doesn't seem too concerned because he's in the 95% for height and she says he's just gonna be tall and slender.
I think he looks kinda small though. I'd like a plumper baby but he seems healthy and is sooo strong.
If it wasn't for the cloth diapers I don't think his pants would even stay up!
Don't listen to your ped if he suggests formula.
You know if your babe is healthy and satisfied.
Trust your instincts.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM

I worried a little about the size of my son at first - born at 6 lbs 14oz and 19" - until my mom pointed out that I was 5 lbs at birth and my sister was a little over 6 lbs and we were both healthy kids and healthy adults who ended up with very different body types (I remained a small"ish" -5'3", 100 lbs- while my sister grew to be 5'10"!) And two of my girlfriend had babies about a year ago - dont recall weight but one was 22" and the other 17". The 22-incher is currently in the 50th percentile for height and the 17-incher is in the 95th! As long as the baby is gaining weight and is proportionate I dont think you have much to worry about. And, for what its worth - I love being small and my sister hates being tall!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:11 PM

I vote for shove it.
My small baby, was 18 inches long or 18.5 mama memory fails me sometimes, not even 20lbs at two years old and only 31 inches tall (my friends little girl was that height at 8 months old, my son's were that at six)

She's just turned fifteen now
size ten feet, 130lbs and five five and not finished growing yet.
They said she'd only be five two max.....and I really thought she'd be smaller than me but i know now she's going to be taller and I am five seven...

my porker at birth...almost 11 pounds at birth, 24 inches long...
is now almost 7 and barely over 40lbs..

8 might be enough
Old 03-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Hi There, I've got a little LO too!

5 pounds 6 ounces at 10 days overdue.

Perfectly healthy from the start. Still on the bottom of the charts, but he is crawling, and has been pulling up on things since 6 months. I think he's going to be an early walker. He loves eating and has so much energy and has only been sick once.

I say these things so that you know it is normal and healthy to have a small baby as long as they keep growing.

Right now he is 8 months and 16.5 pounds.

We never went to a pedi and just charted his growth ourselves. It is funny to pay 250/month for health insurance and never bring him to the doctor, but that is another issue.

So yes sometimes I would worry when he was younger because he was sooo skinny and I would even consider supplementing, but then the next week he would plump up a bit.

Hope this helps!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 PM

This thread prompted me to check my DD on the charts for the first time! LOL We have never taken her to a ped and I have never cared about it but thought it might be fun to check!

I did the WHO chart and she is in the 3rd percentile. I have never worried about it and will never worry about it. She is strong, healthy and active. She is 2.5 yrs old and weighs 24 lbs and is 34 inches tall.

I'm sure if we went to a ped they would have hounded us about supplementing or "fattening her up" ugh. Attending mommy groups I saw that there was a huge variety of "normal" for each family.

Trust yourself and your gut and you have nothing to worry about!

Alina
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 AM

All those mamas of small babies, a question... something my DH thought of. We eat whole foods and very little processed food, some organic meat and wild fish, and only organic, no hormone milk and eggs. I gained about 30 pounds with my pregnancy, and our LO was 6lbs. I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs. and DH is 6'3". So we're not small ourselves and neither of us were small at birth (though we weren't chubby either in babyhood).
Do you think this diet could contribute to smaller babies? I know it could be so many factors, but he brought it up and we've been wondering.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

HELP!! I just want to cry.

DH wanted to take DD to pedi yesterday because some of her spit-ups have been really mucousy and she has sounded stuffed up.

Well, the doc didn't have much to say about that and said she seemed fine to her.

But she was weighed... she lost 1 oz in two weeks. How can that happen? She was gaining perfectly fine!!!

She nurses all night, practically. I am back at work, unfortunately, but pumping is going well. I pumped 14 oz yesterday. I had 7 bottles ready to go for her in the fridge, but she only ate 3.

The pedi thinks she isn't eating enough during the day because she prefers to eat from me so she wants us to add formula to the BM bottles that DH feeds her during the day. *cries*

I have to be the only reject with an overabundant milk supply that has to supplement. I told the pedi I won't do it that I need a better reason as to why my DD would have lost an ounce. She is happy, she smiles, she is extremely active, I hear her swallow and she is content when she eats. Granted I know she isn't as happy with a bottle... but I think my DH can do a better job at offering her more milk first before we go forumla route... like seriously why does it have to jump to that right away??

I'm so upset.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 AM

, Mama!

Listen, scales-- even the digital scales doctors use, can be off a little bit here, a little bit there. While in the hospital with my youngest, in the space of a day, we got 3 different readings performed by the same nurse... so that happens.

Also, since she's active, she could just be burning through her calories fueling her body, y'know? Some babes are smaller, some babes process their food more efficiently, etc... but all babes are different in little ways.

My first was a roly-poly chunk. My LO is on the smaller side, even though he was bigger at birth. Part of it I believe is, I eat better quality of food this time around, but that's just my theory. So many people will stop me and say, "oh! he's so little, was he a preemie?" and it gets hard not to tell them to stick it, but I think they don't realize. In my area at least, it's always, feed the baby, feed the baby feedthebabyfeedthebaby... like it's an obsession or something. Don't know how it is elsewhere, but I'm betting it's not just a hillbilly thing

Babies don't know how to be manipulative. If she gets hungry while you're at work, she will eat. Just make sure that something is available for her. And no, a pump will not get as much milk as a baby. Your body knows the difference, and it could be that she gets the majority of what she needs straight from you. As long as your girl is happy & healthy, I would not stress over 1 ounce. Weight fluctuates. Your ped is giving you advice, not a mandate... with my first, it took me a while to realize that there's a difference. Follow your instincts here.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The pedi thinks she isn't eating enough during the day because she prefers to eat from me so she wants us to add formula to the BM bottles that DH feeds her during the day. *cries*
How, exactly, would adding formula to the bottles she doesn't drink help matters any? Formula has fewer calories per ounce so she'd get less nutrition out of the amount she ate.

She's reverse-cycling. That's a normal thing for babies who are away from their moms during the day to do and it's a good thing. Her nursing all night means that her body's worked out when the main source of food is available and is getting all the nutrition then.

Thing is, there might be a problem with your dd's weight gain, I don't know, I haven't seen her or her charts and I'm not a qualified medical person either--thing is though, a pediatrician who scares you just because your dd isn't at 50% when she was born at 8%, isn't qualified either.

Oversupply can lead to poor weight gain though. Are you also seeing green and/or frothy poop? If you are, definitely check out Kellymom.com's info on oversupply. You might need to do block feeding and discard the first bit of foremilk when you pump. And if it was that, formula in the bottle would have helped, but isn't actually necessary.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM

I have a tiny babe here too - at 4.5 months she is just barely 9lbs. I know she eats enough, and I've been working with a LC who agrees that she doesn't need supplementing. She is just small. I am no expert, but I don't understand how replacing breastmilk with formula could POSSIBLY help a healthy baby gain weight: Is there an explanation for this? I wouldn't do it - you have plenty of milk, and that's what your baby should be eating. I can't give you any other advice, but maybe talk to a lactation consultant (LC) and see what she says.

Good luck!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I have poured over kellymom. lol

I read a whole thing on poops just the other week actually. But no, never have seen any frothy green poops. Her dirty dipes look like normal BM fed dipes I beleive. Orange, yellow, semi green, liquid with some curds.

She gets the right amount of wets and dirties too.

I also read of the possible issue with too much foremilk and I don't know if that is happening or not...

But basically since she was born almost 3 months ago she has gained 3 pounds. She is active and happy and hitting development milestones.

Right now the pedi has us keeping a diary of how much and when DD is eating. She wants us to come back in Monday for a weight check. But I am trying to get as educated as possible on anything that would cause a sudden weight stop before she talks me into forumla.

I think she honestly was a little sick last week, plus with me just returning to work, plus with her just learning to roll and that is all she wants to do... I think all of those combined could explain a small hiccup in weight gain. I am afraid though what that scale will say on Monday. I printed more things from kellymom to try and to give DH to read.

Right now I'm having him to try to feed her at least every 2 hours during the day.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM

You know what the stupid thing is? No matter what the problem is, the "answer" is always less breast milk. I have a friend with a chunky monkey baby (like 21lb at 5mos) and they told HER to give formula.

It makes me cross eyed.

Encourage your DF to offer more bottles during the day, and nurse all you want at night. I don't see how formula has anything to do with it if you have b-milk available.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 PM

Its nothing against you. The Ped is a little off. Breastmilk has MORE calories than formula so why give her something thats inferior?
Have you tried different bottles? Maybe give her milk out of a cup instead of a bottle? DD1 wouldn't use a bottle so we ended up giving her little sips out of a cup.
Scales are wrong at times also. DD1 had issues with weight gain in the beginning and they ended up weighing her on two scales when I said their scales were off. The scales came up at 6 ozs difference. Thats a lot for a little baby.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

User Tag List