Any tips for dealing with colic??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am sure this has been asked many times but it is new territory for me! My 5th son absolutley without a doubt has colic. I have eliminated any possible triggers from my diet and he is 100 percent breastfed, on demand. White noise does not work for him and swadling pisses him off. SOMETIMES carrying him whilst doing the infamous "baby bop" calms him, often not. Sometimes music helps, often not. Most of teh time he is inconsolable. Thsi leaves mee feeling so awful. My sole focus is to soothe and comfort my child and I feel I am failing when it is 1 a.m. and he is writhing and screaming and scratching at me. FWIW, no it is not GERD or anything else like that. He is healthy, he spits up sometimes but not extreme, he burps regularly, feeds on average every two hours, wets regularly, is gaining weight and when NOT screaming can be alert and happy. (He usually cried from about 6 pm till 1 am) Does anyone have any tricks or tips thatworked for them? Are there herbs or homeopathic remedies to try? I do occasionally give him a couple ounces of chammomile tea which os seem to calm him a bit.
TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Wow, that sounds so hard. I guess my first advice would be to try a chiropractor...there may be some underlying issue that's triggering the evening distress.

There are some homeopathic colic remedies out there (ColicCalm; and Hyland's has one), but I don't know how effective they are. Hang in there, mama...hope you've got some help.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 PM

that is so tough mama. i'm so sorry.

what 'triggers' have you eliminated? there could be an allergy to something you are eating that you aren't aware of. my DS is allergic to dairy, wheat, strawberries, tomatoes, chocolate, and a few others. are you sure it is not reflux related also?

i have heard great things about chiro's also.

good luck, i hope you get this figured out soon mama!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 PM

That does sound really hard! Sounds exhausting, too! Have you tried carrying him in a tightly-wrapped Moby or similar? My baby had three hours of nightly fussing until one evening I took her for a walk in the Moby. The few times I was out without my Moby (silly mommy) she stopped fussing as soon as we were home and I put her in there. Sometimes we did skin to skin, sometimes not. Worth a try if you haven't!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#5 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM

you poor thing....my dd was very very fussy as well and it was really tough. We tried everything.....some things that really helped were:

happiest baby on the block...get the dvd much more user friendly
get an excersize ball....i literally sat and bounced my little one on it for hours on end every day
there were times when my lo, who supposedly had reflux, would only nurse in a warm bath
the hair dryer would often calm her....also, a real life saver was carrying her in the "colic carry" we put her on her tummy on our forearm and would rest her face in our hand....and just swung her back and forth...hope this stuff helps...hang in there...it does eventually go away

J- mama to E (8/08) and C (11/10)

#6 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much mama's! I will be trying some of these tips! I had forgotten about the happiest baby on the block....saw that dvd a couple years ago but was not needing it at the time so filed it in the back of my brain. The exercise ball is a brilliant idea.....he loves being bounced but it sure would be nice to sit once and awhile.....
Thanks again.
#7 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Tincture of time, really. It does pass.

My DS was colicky. We had a lot of luck with reducing stimulation earlier in the day. If he spent a long, long time in the sling napping and nursing close to me, while I was walking around outside and doing active stuff, early in the day, the evenings seemed to be easier. Think continuum concept kind of stuff, where baby is on you while you're in motion most of the day. Tough stuff when you have multiple kiddos, I know, but it can really help.

Lots of time outdoors, and napping in the fresh air, really helped him too. Is the weather halfway decent where you are? DS seemed to sleep much better at night and stay calmer in the evenings, if we spent the days outdoors.

FWIW, DS grew into a really sensitive, dynamic, and cuddly child. He's sensitive, but happy, sweet and loving, and seems to have a deep sense of well-being that I attribute to us working so hard to meet his needs and affirm his self-worth, even when he himself was going to pieces every evening. So take some comfort-- it might seem like nothing you do is working, but it is. Deep down, he's learning that he's loved and cared for and important enough for you to try everything you can think of to help.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Tincture of time, really. It does pass.

My DS was colicky. We had a lot of luck with reducing stimulation earlier in the day. If he spent a long, long time in the sling napping and nursing close to me, while I was walking around outside and doing active stuff, early in the day, the evenings seemed to be easier. Think continuum concept kind of stuff, where baby is on you while you're in motion most of the day. Tough stuff when you have multiple kiddos, I know, but it can really help.

Lots of time outdoors, and napping in the fresh air, really helped him too. Is the weather halfway decent where you are? DS seemed to sleep much better at night and stay calmer in the evenings, if we spent the days outdoors.

FWIW, DS grew into a really sensitive, dynamic, and cuddly child. He's sensitive, but happy, sweet and loving, and seems to have a deep sense of well-being that I attribute to us working so hard to meet his needs and affirm his self-worth, even when he himself was going to pieces every evening. So take some comfort-- it might seem like nothing you do is working, but it is. Deep down, he's learning that he's loved and cared for and important enough for you to try everything you can think of to help.
Great post.

DS was colicky and sounds like your DS, Llyra. And I second fresh air, that seems to be magic but, sometimes all you can do is hold them.

I have also heard drinking rooibos tea can help.

Many, many for you mama.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#9 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 05:31 AM

I am sorry you are dealing with this and sorry that your little baby is having such a rough time also. Honestly, the very best advice that I have for you comes from a place of expereince. Dd was colic ridden and it was BAD. She would scream, in arms, from 6pm to about 2 or 3am nearly non stop then only sleep about an hour at a time then scream some more until about 8am then awake the rest of the day until she was 3 months and one week old. It got better from there on out.

Now she is a great sleeper! I mean GREAT. Once she was over about 9 months old she was sleeping through the night and taking a few naps a day all over an hour long. At 3.5 y/o she still sleeps through the night (only waking once to go potty then right back to bed) and still takes a 1.5-3 hour nap each day without fuss. So, it is possible for a baby with colic to get better... and not just better but 1000% better!

so my advice is simple... just remind yourself that this too shall pass!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#10 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 PM

I'm in the same boat! Our babies seem to even have the same nightly schedule. For me the one things that almost always works is strapping her up in a front-carrier (she likes it tight), pacifier (it falls out much less when she's in there), and bouncing on the exercise ball. All this at the same time.
I love the reply that the babies really do know that they are loved because you try - even if it doesn't seem to help!

Hang in there. You are a good mother because you're trying!
#11 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

thanks tons mamas! we are trying stuff and mostly the best i can do is what my friend said once
'sometimesall u can do is hold em and love em."
this too shall pass....
can u tell i am typing this one handed with a squirmy crying babe in arms? lol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page