Sling Lovers...please help...in the 12/29 issue of People magazine, Brooke Shields is - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-30-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pictured with her little baby girl in a BEAUTIFUL red sling. Does anyone know what kind this is? I really like it.

Edited to add it is on page 16. TIA!
#2 of 24 Old 12-31-2003, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Bump....
#3 of 24 Old 01-01-2004, 07:48 PM

I happened to pick up that issue of People and glance thru it while waiting in line to buy groceries so I don't have a good memory of the sling exactly but I think it's this one, found at www.babystyle.com. Click on gear, then on soft carriers. I believe it's called the Euro by jj cole. HTH
#4 of 24 Old 01-01-2004, 09:42 PM

I couldn't find the picture online, but zolowear has gorgeous red brocade slings...
#5 of 24 Old 01-01-2004, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Solsticemama...I looked at that one, but I don't think that's what it was. Thanks for the suggestion though.
KofDuke...thank you for the suggestion. Those are a bit out of my price range....I am a novice when it comes to slings and I'm afraid of spending that much when I don't know much about them or if I would like it.

Any other sling experts seen the picture yet?
#6 of 24 Old 01-01-2004, 10:20 PM

LOL, I didn't think it was terribly affordable, but I thought maybe Brooke Shields...I certainly don't have one, as much as I'm turning into a sling hyena!

Well, no clue about the one in the picture, but anyway, if you're looking for a red sling, how about the Jane at chic papoose I've heard nice things about them. Or, my all-time favorite, a red adjustable fleece pouch from kangaroo korner
#7 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think these are pretty: http://www.hug-a-bub.com.au/default.asp
and then there is the Didymos--they have some in red. http://www.didymos.de/english/html/tragew.htm
#8 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 12:11 PM

Someone at thebabywearer.com guessed that it is a Moby Wrap. Check it out at http://www.mobywrap.com/

Good luck!!

Also - you can get a moby online for $35 from Peppermint.com.

April
Mama to and
#9 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 12:16 PM

About the Moby Wrap, isn't it just a long piece of fabric? Couldn't you just get a long piece of fabric and do the same thing? Why pay ... however much it costs, since they don't mention it anywhere on the Moby Wrap site ... when you can take a long scarf, or some such, and do the same thing?

Or am I missing something?
#10 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Holy cow! You ladies have opened up a whole new world for me. I am soooo excited checking out all of these sites I didn't know existed. Looks like I have some serious research to do. I currently use a Bjorn and DS # 2 is already 17+ pounds at 3 1/2 months so that won't last long. The sling world is a whole new thing for me. I also have back problems and a Bjorn is not good for the back IMO.
I noticed cotton and the solerveil fabrics appear to be the best types for hot climates. I am in the South. Do you agree that those two types of fabrics would be the best for us?
Thanks April77...I think that the Moby Wrap looks the most like the one Brooke Shields was using.
Thanks everyone and please keep the suggestions coming.
#11 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I would just like to caution you before you buy a moby wrap type "sling". I used a Bjorn and a Moby wrap and the feel very, very similar to me and caused me the exact same back and stomach problems. The sling that goes over one sholder did the trick for me and I can still carry my girl at 2+ years (she's light though). Maybe Moby would lend you one to try.

I LOVED those silk slings...almost enought to have another kid so I could splurge!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#12 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 PM

I have a solarveil sling, and although it's great for the beach and maybe the shower, I don't think it's the most comfortable fabric for everyday wear. Kind of scratchy.

Maybe a maya wrap would work? Or a cotton pouch from kangaroo korner?

There's a babywearing group on yahoo.com if you'd like even more recommendations. Have fun! It's hard to stop at just one!
#13 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 08:27 PM

Dallaschildren, I'm a sling nut. I did see the photo in People mag. My son was "high needs" meaning he HAD to be carried otherwise he'd so the sling was a life saver.

Some photos of me (long black hair) wearing a Maya Wrap sling.
http://www.friendlyvillage.com/lotso...reastfeed.html

I hated my Bjorn! $100 down the tubes and could only use it comfortably till he was 5 months old (he was chubby and heavy). And I HATED how his reproductive organs were smooshed.

IdentityCrisisMama - thanks for the heads up about the Moby. Shame... I was considering getting one of these (just because I LOVE baby carriers) but now... forget it.

I'm here - Tummy-to-Tummy Carry:
http://www.friendlyvillage.com/lotso...positions.html

My 2 favorite slings were Maya Wrap and Over the Shoulder Baby Holder.

I did not use a stroller (read the The Continuum Concept till my son was 20 months old. I carried him comfortably in either the MW or OTSBH.

I wrote this page for my friend's sling website (it's their LLL fundraiser) (That photo is me at the bottom.)
Trouble-shooting Tips for the Maya Wrap sling

Kangaroo Korner has a great page. So is Kelly's:
Kelly's Attachment Parenting Sling Resource page

I like this page because the photos show how versatile the Maya Wrap sling is:
Maya Wrap distributor in CA

Dallaschildren, to check out a sling in person before you buy, find a local distributor
Maya Wrap Distributors

If you prefer PADDINg, then try OTSBH. Call them directly http://www.babyholder.com
and ask them if there are any distributors in your area they can refer you to. Give them a couple of zip codes to look up. They might be a little snotty ("you can order from us") but say you want to try one on before you buy one.

Since you are in a hot climate, I'd vote COTTON and NOT PADDED/OTSBH. You can wear padded if you are indoors in air- conditioning, but no way outside.

They are SO well worth the money. I can't wait to sling a baby again.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#14 of 24 Old 01-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by merpk
About the Moby Wrap, isn't it just a long piece of fabric? Couldn't you just get a long piece of fabric and do the same thing? Why pay ... however much it costs, since they don't mention it anywhere on the Moby Wrap site ... when you can take a long scarf, or some such, and do the same thing?

Or am I missing something?
I've wondered the same thing myself. There are a lot of unringed slings and some of them aren't cheap. Heck, the Didymos and Hug-a-bub are in the $100 range. I think if I got one I'd be paying for the pretty fabric. I had a Baby Bundler which was two long pieces of stretchy knit fabric that was sewn together in the middle and serged on the edges. I was thinking I could make one except I'd have to buy the fabric and I didn't have a serger and by the time I did all that it was just probably easier to buy the sling. I got it used and ended up selling it on auction because it was too short for me and wouldn't tie securely. I was tempted to buy an Ultimate Baby Wrap when I saw them at the LLL conference.
#15 of 24 Old 01-03-2004, 12:40 AM

Ok, am I getting annoying yet? We'll find you a beautiful red sling yet, dallaschildren!

http://store.peppermint.com/ellaroo-padded-sling.html

the red fabric looks like a brocade, but it's a much more affordable price
#16 of 24 Old 01-03-2004, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Tanibani....you are quite the cool looking mama!
Thanks for taking the time to link me up.

KofDuke....Thanks for the continued help...no you are not being annoying!
#17 of 24 Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 PM

wanted to add my two cents on the moby. I had one and wasn't thrilled cuz its a knit and was stretchier then i wanted. I felt like it "slipped" alot....

so ...

I picked up some muslin, dyed it in a gorgeous crackle/immersion dye of deep blue and purple and had a friend serge the ends for me since I dont' sew. Then cuz i'm a freak like that I had her sew a buckle on the ends so i didn't have to deal with tieying knots. I wear it like a moby but instead of having to tie it in the back i just clip the buckle together (like a backpack buckle).

its now my all time favorite way to wear Roman. I loved my sling from taylormadetreasures.com too - but sometimes i need the support of a crossover (x in the back) carry cuz he's so darn heavy already.

anyway. yes the moby and the ellaroo are very long pieces of fabric and yes you can make your own for alot cheaper and even add things (like a buckle. lol) to customize it to your needs

i also really love my mei tai carrier that a friend made me. Its a great way to carry an older babe on your back too - its like a fabric packpack that you tie on...

my friend loves her ergo

check this out ... has alot of them with pics
http://store.peppermint.com/baby-slings-by-name.html

barb
who is sold on the moby/ellaroo style made by us with buckle
and the mei tai
#18 of 24 Old 01-03-2004, 03:56 PM

nak

I'm with tanibani on the OTSBH and MW. Those are our two faves also. We have tried a KK fleece pouch which didn't work for us, the hiphugger which was a no go and a couple of frame back carriers with no success. Early on we used a bjorn since ds didn't seem to like being in the cradle hold. We switched to the OTSBH when he was about 4 mos and discovered the maya a few mos later. Ds is 30 lbs at a year and I still carry him comfortably in both of those. HTH
#19 of 24 Old 01-04-2004, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tanibani
IdentityCrisisMama - thanks for the heads up about the Moby. Shame... I was considering getting one of these (just because I LOVE baby carriers) but now... forget it.

[/B]
Hey, Tanibani

I don’t want to be the one to put you off of your sling collection! I’m happy to have that word of caution out there but I’d hate to think that the Moby would work for you (and you were considering it) and didn’t get one because of me. I would still try it if it appeals to you. I may even try it again because I need a better distance carrier for my 2+y/o. I just wouldn’t want to see anyone sink all that mula into one before trying it out. Personally, I think that if they want that much for one they should offer a trial period, which they probably do or would if one were to ask.

I may start a thead about larger kids and slings but thought we could just add suggestions here, if the OP doesn't mind.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#20 of 24 Old 01-04-2004, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

IdentityCrisisMama...PLEASE be my guest and post away about recommendations on larger kids and the best slings for them. I've got a tendancy to have large kiddos and this will help me and others when buying slings for babes of all age ranges and sizes.
I am such a "future" buyer (plan obsessively for the "what if" scenarios...LOL) that for my first sling purchase, I'd like to find one that I can use for at least a year and hope it keeps pace with the growth of DS # 2.
#21 of 24 Old 01-04-2004, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, looks like the general consensus on what Brooke Shields is wearing, comes down to the Moby and the New Native carrier according to babywearer.com and the moms in my playgroup.
I am certainly still learning and haven't tried one on yet, but it looks like she is wearing it very low. Is it suppose to be put on and worn like that?
I am 5'10" tall so I would like a sling that doesn't "sag".
#22 of 24 Old 01-05-2004, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to disagree with everyone's thumb's down for the moby wrap! I have two (black and a purple/blue/green/maroon dyed one) and I love love LOVE them! SO comfy to sling ds in! I like the stretch in it, I just wrap it around myself snuggly (not super pulled tight snug, but like... comfy tee shirt snug) and then get Orion in there and we're set to go!

I do agree though, if you can sew you can make a wrap sling for MUCH less than they sell for. But for a wrap sling the moby is pretty affordable ($30).

Not the greatest pic but here's me and Orion with him in the moby(outward facing 6 weeks old, boobs give great head support! :LOL): http://www.mattandlisahart.com/slingin6weeks%20001.jpg
And here's a better one with him facing inward:
http://www.mattandlisahart.com/thanksgiving%20031.jpg

So I just wanted to chime in here as a moby wrap lover

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#23 of 24 Old 01-05-2004, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Lisa_Lynn....Orion is a cutie....he looks so peaceful sleeping next to mama. Thanks for the great picture.
Ok, I've got a dumb question....when using a sling such as the Moby (or any sling?) , do you prepare it first and then put your baby in, or do you put it on, place the baby in the hold you want, and then finish putting the sling on?
I love the way Orion is "hanging" out and the way you have meticulously wrapped his head so the sling supports it. Looks cool.
It's one thing to see directions for how to wear a sling and I think quite another when you actually have one and are trying to put it on. Was it easy for all of you? What "hold" or carry is the easiest for a newbie to do?
#24 of 24 Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aww thanks! He *loves* that outward facing hold, and unless he wants to nurse that's how I put him in it everytime, he loooooooves looking at new things/people (I think I've got a very inquisitive baby on my hands here ).

With my moby wrap I wrap it around me and then plunk Orion in it, but that's because its really stretchy, like a tee shirt. If I had a wrap sling with stiffer/less stretchy fabric, I'd wrap around him cuz there would be any 'give' to the fabric. I think the moby wrap is really easy to use, myself. The photo where his little head it tucked in is just the same wrap as him facing outwards, just facing him inwards and just tucking his head under the fabric when he konks out. You can also do a wrap where the baby is on your back, but ds doesn't like how much fiddling it requires (and he's a bit young yet for back carries I think) But I had a friend who got a moby wrap the same day I did and she still has trouble with it, so I think that's REALLY an individual thing. I also think the moby is easy because I put it on before baby, not after. I don't have to worry about holding him up in it while I'm flinging fabric around myself.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page