Eden. one week.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...34680000001610

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...b55d0000001610
#32 of 181 Old 02-03-2004, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#33 of 181 Old 02-03-2004, 08:04 PM

Wow! First of all I want to say Eden is beautiful. I'm sure you think so too. Xander is wearing his born at home shirt right now. Next is a question. How did you post a picture like that? Most impressive.

Xander's culture results came back clear- no growth- so we won't be giving him antibiotics. He's already feeling better anyway. I guess I learned an expensive lesson. It kinda goes along the same lines as Mherle's doubting her body's ability to give birth the way it was made to. I think I must have felt like we got away with something by having such a beautiful UC birth. We still spent less than we would have on a midwife even after our Dr. appointments, tests and drugs.

Bfing is going well here too although Xander does have to be coaxed to open wide too. He also won't nurse if he's about to poop, even if he's really hungry. It just makes him mad.

Well, dd's napping so I better nap too or it will be a long night. Have a great day.
#34 of 181 Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 PM

I just had to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying "lurking" here...obviously I am still over on the pregnancy forum, but its getting a bit lonely!

hopefully I'll have a birth story to post soon.
#35 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 AM

hi everybody!,glad to see were all catching up just a different thread.joy seems to have her days and nights mixed up so i'm not getting alot of sleep.shes been really gasey too and I haven't yet figured out what im eating thats contributing to it,so im alternating between mylicon drops and fennel seed tea.she was christened sunday which was pretty nice but crazy as my olderson had amild seizure right after the alleluia,which sent dh running back and forth about 3 times to the bathroom with him since it always upsets his tummy.Afterwards weall went to pizza hut for lunch.16 of us! dh was laid off from his telecom job friday so hes going full time with his constuction co. he and a partner started3 years ago when he was laid off the first time.guess hes over corporate america.Ijust hope and pray theres enough work.joys butts so skinny my cloth dipes dont fit yet.midwife said she was 8.6 last week so shes gaining and getting chubby cheeks.my backs a mess,keeps going into spasms when i sit.im waiting for my spotting to stop before i start back with yoga,its the only thing that seems to help.went for the birth certificate last week.i called first and the lady said all weneeded was a photo id?everyone else ive known who had a home birth had to bring medical records a letter from their preist etc.etc.it was so quick and simple i was pinching myself!
#36 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 PM

Morning!

Mothernature, glad to hear Xander is just fine. Your instincts were correct.

I want to know how Eden's gorgeous face was posted like that, too!! She is just beautiful, 2much.

saintmom--good luck with your dh's change in careers. I'm sorry about your son's seizure--talk about timing, huh? Does he have them often?

Megsmom--I have been meanign to ask you but keep forgetting--which babe has GERD? Both? Is the pedi thinking they'll outgrow it? How are they doing ?

I have a question--trapped gas in a baby. Occasionally Dominic will swallow so much air while nursing because the letdown is so strong. And then he falls asleep without getting it all out and wakes frequently crying and doing the stiff leg thing. Any solutions? Should I just take him off the breast when the letdown begins and wait for a second?

Thanks,
#37 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM

hi!about the seizures,he hasn't had one since last april.the two he had last year were also on sunday.the first was tonic clonic and the second was more mild -like last sunday less than a min.he had the first at three after vacs.of course the neurologist hasn't ever said the cause was the vaccinations,the eeg has only shown a general abnormality not the classic signs of epilepsy.so far we haven't had to use anti seizure meds.if they increase in frequency it will definately be a new row to hoe.from what i've read the meds have their own lovely list of side effects. ijust wish i new what the trigger was so wed know to look for it.sundays are usually nuts anyhow so im thinking the change in routine probably contributes.i guess this is more than you wanted to know but i thought i'd share.i haven't met anyone else having to deal with this kind of thing.needless to say joy isn't getting any vaxes!
#38 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 07:26 PM

I know what you mean, mothernature, about all the medical mess. After my last dd's homebirth with a midwife I freaked out on her third day of life and took her to the emergency room. She had been sleeping all day and hardly nursed...I thought. It turned into a 3 day NICU nightmare and they never found anything wrong...I truly don't think anything was ever wrong, just me paranoid and scared. I have really focused on staying calm this time...which is good because Eden sleeps all the time!

I don't know how the pictures posted like that. I did it like normal but they showed up on the thread.

We are doing fine here. She loves to sleep. SHe is her daddy's girl.
#39 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM

eden is absolutely gorgeous
#40 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 PM

Hi gals!

I'ms till not in the loop with everything. I'm soo glad my mom is here to help out. Tracy is being a handful at times. He is jsut a little confused on everything and a lot tempermental. I'm hoping it passes soon!

Bryce is such a different baby than Tracy. Bryce naps during the day and basically only cries when hungry. Tracy cried all the time and never napped. Tracy also insisted on being held constantly. Bryce will let me put him in his chair or swing so i can play with Tracy.

Last night he slept for 4.5 hours! I kept waking up going...shouldn't he wake up now? It was nice though.

So, far bedtime and mornings are the roughest on us. Tracy just isn't all that cooperative.

I'm doing good. I overdid it 2 different days this week. Between going to the dr and such thins were hectice monday and tuesday. Today has been nice and calm though. I feel like I'm healing good and my breasts have started to remember hw to regulate milk production.

Sorry this is one sided. i still have to catch up with everyone!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#41 of 181 Old 02-04-2004, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Imonion2
Megsmom--I have been meanign to ask you but keep forgetting--which babe has GERD? Both? Is the pedi thinking they'll outgrow it? How are they doing ?
Both, but Catherine's is worse. Most babies outgrow it by a year, but it's not really predictable (and wow that's a long time). They are OK, Catherine is terribly constipated from her barium swallow two weeks ago and ped. wants us to give her water (see my thread in this forum).

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#42 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 01:06 PM

Random question- where and how do all your newborns actually sleep? I admit to not following all the safe co-sleeping rules very well. My babies always sleep best chest to chest with me or dh. It really seems the most *natural* thing, and it's so instinctive, but I know you aren't *supposed* to sleep that way- so I try not to: The only other way he likes to sleep (when I am sleeping) is swaddled well. When I am awake, he sleeps in my lap, or on dd's lap, cause she loves him so much

gotta go, I can't quite nak yet

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#43 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM

morning moms.

megsmom--poor catherine! i'm kind of late, what did you decide to do re: water? i hope she's starting to feel better, soon.

went to target and bough ds a bunch of activity stuff to try to keep us sane a few more weeks. dominic hates the car seat, thank goodness target is only 3 mins. away.

anyone going throufgh multiple clothing changes / day for their babe? dominic is a spitter, and just getting him dressed this morning took 3 changes between peeing/spitting. he also completely soaked his fuzzi bunz last night in 1 hour. anyone w/ some suggestions for night time dipes?
#44 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 PM

jess--

if ds is in bed w/ us, it's because i fell asleep nursing him. (read every night past 1 am or so) unfortunately that means i am probably not following the co-sleeping rules, either.

we don't cover him, i usually have him swaddled at night. the rest of the tim ehe's in his bassinet right next to my side of the bed.
#45 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 02:05 PM

Eden slees tucked right in beside me. Most of the time I get her tucked into her own blanket outside of mine, but once in awhile she gets tucked in under my blankets. Not technically by the "rules" I guess. When she naps its either in my arms, the sling, or in her moses basket...and I admit I put her belly down in it because she sleeps better that way. But I am there and paranoid checking that she is breathing every 5 minutes.

Eden so far isn't a huge heavy wetter. A pocket diaper with two joeybunz almost lasts the night. I think with one of my thinner doublers on top of that tonight she;'ll be fine. What are you stuffing your fuzzibunz with? Maybe you just need more in there. Otherwise I would get a thick wool soaker if I were you. <My last dd was a really really heavy wetter and an Aristocrat with two infant prefolds underneath worked fine for her.
Anyone else cloth diapering? How is it going? I am loving it. This is my third cloth diapered baby but the first time I have ventured away from prefolds and bummis sww. I am loving wool.

We are doing fine in most ways. Dh has been in school this week so I have been alone with the three girls some. He starts back to work on MOnday so then I will be really challenged.

Anyone else battling the blues? I dealt with ppd for about a year after my last dd's birth and am just trying to deal with my emotions better this time, but I am having a meltdown at least once a day here. Anyone have any good book recomendations?

Other than that everything is well.
Beth
#46 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 03:10 PM

We are super co-sleepers with 5 in the bed(s). Elias sleeps in between dh and I, using our blankets at about breast level (cuz he's always latched on anyway it seems!), dd #2 (19 mo) sleeps next to me and dd#1 sleeps in twin pulled up next to the futon. One big happy lovin' family bed!!
Ds gets changed a couple times a day. After 2 girls it takes some getting used to a boy peeing here and there and everywhere:LOL
#47 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 03:45 PM

OK, somebody has got to tell me how to nurse laying down. I never got the hang of it with ds #1, and it would be great to get it this time around. Are most of you able to nurse your newborns laying down? I can't nurse any way other than sitting up, and him on a pillow:

#48 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 04:33 PM

Jess,
This is a good link to get you started - it describes side-lying nursing on either the top or bottom breast. And even though the site is for the plus-sized and well-endowed, I'm not well-endowed or plus-sized, and it still works for me. The rest of the site is pretty amazing too - one of the best on the web!

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/N...ndowedFAQ.html

As far as sleeping, Katja and I usually sleep chest to chest on our sides - she sleeps in a diaper, covered by one receiving blanket, and then the sheet and comforter. The "scary" thing about bed blankets is that they shouldn't block the baby's breathing, and shouldn't overheat the baby. I keep the comforter a little lower than the sheet, so it doesn't block her face, but other than that, I really don't worry. In fact, I believe it's a lot safer this way. After all, if there is any kind of a breathing problem, I will be aware of her right away. "Rules" shouldn't be followed if they go against your instinct, in my opinion. Sometimes we even sleep with me on my back and her on top of me, chest to chest. The only reason we don't do this very often is that she has a tendency of nuzzling up under my neck so much that my breathing becomes difficult.

Mandy
#49 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 04:49 PM

Mandy, thanks for the link, I will check it out, although I am smaller sized woman, with smaller sized breasts, which is why I thought it wouldn't work well for me, nursing laying down that is.

I really love the baby laying on my chest as you described, me on my back, him chest to chest, it is how we sleep best, but the SIDS stuff scares me, so I try not to do it: It is just so darn comfy for both of us

On the topic of being small sized- I am not quite that right now, I have 20 pounds to lose , hoping I can do that by summer, just by nursing, it worked great with my first ds, anyone else had the courage to step on the scale? Please, if you came home in pre-pregnancy clothes like my MIL says she did (after having twins mind you: ), feel free not to comment:LOL

#50 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 06:17 PM

jess, just a note--i am small-chested too. right now, i only fill a b cup! i lie on one side or the other, turn babe on his side so he's belly to belly and help him latch by guiding the nipple to his mouth. he's gotten very good at finding it by himself after doing this from the beginning. just some hope for you, 'cause nursing in bed saves my sanity.

beth, i have been using unbleached prefolds in the fuzzibunz. i do have some little sprouts fleece topped doublers i could try, too. it just seems so darn bulky, but i guess if it saves on laundry, it is worth it.

we don't own a scale, i have no clue what i weigh. but i could button my jeans yesterday, which made me happy. i cannot fathom dieting right now, nursing makes me hungrier than when i was pg.
#51 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 09:37 PM

#52 of 181 Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 PM

Alice- he's beautiful! You must so proud. I trust mother and baby are doing well. It looks like big sister likes him well enough. Once you're rested I'll be glad to read all about it. Happy babymoon. NAK
#53 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 01:31 AM

still waiting for my baby to pop on out here! So I'm not quite ready to comment on nursing at night or soaking cloth dipes this time around, but have to say that yes, I am small breasted also and with Toby we could not nurse lying down until he was about 3 months old! I'm going to have to get the hand of it better this time raound so will try that link. Maybe I wont have to worry and my boobs will just grow

imonion..about soaking that fuzzibunz.....I never did find those dipes to be that absorbant so obviously Toby was a very very heavy wetter as well (because I know that fuzzibunz are marketed as being super absorbant!!!) We went with the huge bulky doubled and doubled again solution, unfortunately,,but hey, it worked...we used a fitted diaper, and inside that we put a prefold, and inside that we put a doubler/liner. The doubler /liner was really cool...I found them at weebees.com: they are essentially terry lined with a polyester mesh, so it wicks the moisture away from baby's skin. from experience, the mesh stuff seems to keep its wicking away properties longer than fleece...the fleece does not wick so well once it becomes well worn. Those liner/doublers were a godsend for us though...they made it possible to change dipes every 3 hours instead of every hour for us, and because the pee was not in contact with his skin he never never got a rash!
#54 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 08:14 AM

ty for the great link. dh is going nuts w/ me buying this and that to try to find somthing that works, but each time i get exasperated and put a sposie on him, he leaks right through that, too. anyway, i was disappointed the fuzzibunz didn't keep him drier, it worked like a charm for anthony. he is getting a sore bottom tonight, despite very frequent changes. i've been using burt's bees cream on his butt, but it's still quite red and i know it hurts him to get wiped.

ok enough of my diaper saga--dominic's cord fell off today, so he had his first tub bath! at first he thought it was nice but then remembered he hates to be naked. i have pics, but working on his website.

i should go back to bed.
#55 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
Random question- where and how do all your newborns actually sleep? I admit to not following all the safe co-sleeping rules very well. My babies always sleep best chest to chest with me or dh. It really seems the most *natural* thing, and it's so instinctive, but I know you aren't *supposed* to sleep that way- so I try not to: The only other way he likes to sleep (when I am sleeping) is swaddled well. When I am awake, he sleeps in my lap, or on dd's lap, cause she loves him so much

gotta go, I can't quite nak yet
Well it's not all that random! DH and I have one babe each, either on our chest or in the crook of an arm, usually swaddled. Why aren't you supposed to sleep with one on your chest? Is it b/c they are on their tummies? I always figured that was an exception to the rule b/c it's not like they are going to stop breathing w/o me noticing. Of course, they also sleep in slings a lot, and sometimes in a swing or bassinet.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#56 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Imonion2
megsmom--poor catherine! i'm kind of late, what did you decide to do re: water? i hope she's starting to feel better, soon.

went to target and bough ds a bunch of activity stuff to try to keep us sane a few more weeks. dominic hates the car seat, thank goodness target is only 3 mins. away.

anyone going throufgh multiple clothing changes / day for their babe? dominic is a spitter, and just getting him dressed this morning took 3 changes between peeing/spitting. he also completely soaked his fuzzi bunz last night in 1 hour. anyone w/ some suggestions for night time dipes?
We decided to do the water, along with Milk of Magnesia. It worked in two doses, but now it's been three days and her belly is distended again so we are starting it up again. We've got to get this barium out of her.

Catherine also hates hates the car seat so I just don't go anywhere yet, basically.

Multiple multiple clothing changes a day, since both babies have GERD. Oh, the laundry! (Theirs and ours).

Our Benjamuffins newborn fitteds with plastic pants are doing great for nighttime for both kids.

#57 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 2much2luv
Anyone else cloth diapering? How is it going? I am loving it. This is my third cloth diapered baby but the first time I have ventured away from prefolds and bummis sww. I am loving wool.

We are doing fine in most ways. Dh has been in school this week so I have been alone with the three girls some. He starts back to work on MOnday so then I will be really challenged.

Anyone else battling the blues? I dealt with ppd for about a year after my last dd's birth and am just trying to deal with my emotions better this time, but I am having a meltdown at least once a day here. Anyone have any good book recomendations?

Other than that everything is well.
Beth
CDing all three but only part-time. Which basically means when I change them they go in cloth, when DH or Mom changes them they go in sposies. : That's actually OK b/c with all the spitting I just couldn't possibly keep up with the laundry required for full-time Cding three quite yet... Meg is making great progress on potty learning, anyway, so it hopefully won't be all three for too too much longer.

I will be alone with all three for the first time on Tuesday, but not for long. My mom left today and DH took Monday off but we have a friend coming in Tues. afternoon.

We started Meg in Montessori, which I never thought I'd ever do, esp. so young, but she loves it. I just wasn't giving her any attention at all - two newborns is so so demanding! She was watching videos all the time. We totally can't afford it but money is about priorities, right? Hopefully it will only be for this semester and we'll quit when summer starts.

Had the blues for a couple of weeks. Do you mean baby/post-partum books or any books at all? I re-read The Womanly Art in my first couple of weeks. It was exactly what I needed to encourage me!

#58 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by carrots
We are super co-sleepers with 5 in the bed(s). Elias sleeps in between dh and I, using our blankets at about breast level (cuz he's always latched on anyway it seems!), dd #2 (19 mo) sleeps next to me and dd#1 sleeps in twin pulled up next to the futon. One big happy lovin' family bed!!
Ds gets changed a couple times a day. After 2 girls it takes some getting used to a boy peeing here and there and everywhere:LOL
Five in one bed here! (king-size, thank God). Meg starts in her bed but inevitably joins us sometime overnight.

#59 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
anyone else had the courage to step on the scale? Please, if you came home in pre-pregnancy clothes like my MIL says she did (after having twins mind you: ), feel free not to comment:LOL
Ok, I did come home in pre-pg clothes BUT I have gained weight since! I was loving getting on the scale for a couple of weeks and NOW I'm afraid to! I'm not eating well and I'm on my butt nursing constantly! (Same exact pattern happened with Meg).

#60 of 181 Old 02-07-2004, 06:42 PM

5 in a bed here, too! We have a king and a queen pushed togther. For those of you with older dc's in bed, too - how do you keep them away from your newborns? I also often sleep with both girls on my chest, I actually feel safest this way. Otherwise, I sleep with them in the crooks of my arms or, occasionally, with both of them on the bed and me kind of curled around them

Analisa, for 2 slings, I just have one on each shoulder and criscross the slings with each babe in the football hold on either side - does that make sense? I'll have dh take pictures.

Does anyone else have a really stuffed up babe? Sadie is so mucousy She's always sniffing and snorting and sometimes has trouble nursing because of it - any ideas?

We're cloth diapering here, too. Amazingly, Maryn has potty trained in the past few weeks so she's only in diapers at night. We use Fuzzi Bunz pretty much exclusively. I'm going to add a Joey Bunz to the girls diapers at night so hopefully they'll last all night

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page