Jan./Feb. 2004 Mamas Part I - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2004, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
Laurie...I wanted to say that when I commented on how I don't envy the vaginal birth mamas who have big tears to recover from, I did not mean to minimize your accomplishment, or question whether you were glad to have a vaginal birth (I saw your post on the other thread about people wondering if you regret your VBAC b/c of the tear), I just wanted to offer sympathy
Oh Jess - you are so sweet. No, I didn't think you meant anything by your post - to tell the truth it never crossed my mind.

I hope you are feeling better and that the baptism goes smoothly this weekend!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 09:53 PM

(((Lisa))) We are here for you.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:51 PM

Hello everyone! Can I just say that I love being a mama of a newborn again??? This time has been so different from when I had DD#1. The past two weeks have been wonderful (pain and all) - it's so different the second time around. I know what I am doing . I know how to nurse, know how to change a diaper, realize that she won't break if her arm gets caught in the sack gown because I forgot to grab her tiny hand to pull it through... It's just so much easier this time.

Today DD#2 had her two-week well-baby visit. She gained 13 oz. in 10 days, making it back to her birth-weight of 8 lbs., 9 oz (75th percentile)! She has also grown 1.25" (length = 21.5") and is in the 88th percentile for both length and head circ. I guess I can stop worrying that she's not nursing enough, :LOL! She is a dream and sleeps 4-hrs at a stretch at night, which is heaven. I actually set the alarm to wake so I can nurse her but don’t plan on doing that after the first month – I just want to make sure I have a good supply established first.

Karry! I am so sorry to hear that your family has been sick. I hope you are all well soon. How was your first day with DH back at work? And how did the ped visit go today?

IOF – thanks for asking about me . My tear is OK. I can sit on my trusty inflatable pillow as long as I put my legs up also. Driving and sitting at the dinner table are most hard. For me this has been way easier than recovering from my c/s, but I think it’s b/c with the c/s I couldn’t even stand in order to sit, kwim? I am so glad that you are recovering well – I have heard that recovery from a planned c/s is much easier than from an emergency one…do you find that to be true?

EmmaJean – hang in there! DD#1 has become quite the to DH and to me. Thank goodness she is still an with DD#2. I spoke with the ped today while at our well-baby visit and was assured this phase would likely pass soon. Let’s hope so!

Megs Mom – I have a little goat as well! It’s pitiful sounding and kinda’ cute all at the same time. I also joined the Yahoo! Group you posted for EmmaJean – I hope it helps us as well!

Mothernature – sorry you are feeling down. I was very “down in the dumps” with my first and was terrified that I would end up with PPD this time. Not sure if it would help you or not but I take extra B-complex and am eating foods rich in Omega 3s which I read on the PPD thread can help. Please keep us posted!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Anyone get taxes done yet? I am so hoping to get money back- we usually do. Analisa- you should get a nice break for having the twins early- there had to be an upside, right?
AND moved across the country AND were first-time homebuyers! Big ole refund, enough to pay off the credit cards & cover Montessori for Meg temporarily!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 02-20-2004, 01:19 PM

That's wonderful- I wish I could get a tax return big enough to pay off our credit cards

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 02-20-2004, 01:38 PM

hbak

mothernature, i'm so sorry, you sound like you're having such a hard time right now. fwiw, i would have been so upset over what happened w/ the hard work over your meal and dh not getting it. please feel free to continue to share with us, we are here to listen and help.

chie, glad things are going so well for you! That's wonderful.

we did our taxes, too. Should have our refund soon. We're going to spend some on a new chair for the den, and buying DD new bedroom furniture for her birthday present in April.

I signed up for that pd list, too...thanks analisa!

I'm trying to figure out how to list on ebay so I can get rid of my maternity clothes. Do we have any power sellers here with some tips?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:06 PM

I'm not a power seller, but I do have some tips. Only brand name stuff sells well, and make sure you put the brand name in your title (also if you have non-brand name stuff, put it in a "lot" with brand name stuff, so you can mention the name in your title). Use pictures

BTW- does anyone who regularly sells on ebay know if you have to claim that income on your taxes? I only made maybe 1500 this year:

I am going to be putting my maternity clothes up as well. I have a question- I am going to sell some extra large Happy heinys, do you all think they would go better on the TP or ebay?- seems like with the maker on this site- people here know about HH more than the general public- who seem to be more FB people.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 02-20-2004, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Question- did your babes have 4 Godparents, or did you pick two to cover both?
Actually, they each have one godmother and no godfathers. That's just how it worked out, our closest Catholic friends being single women.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 02-20-2004, 06:38 PM

Well, Elias's skin is almost completely cleared up and he hasn't thrown up since I gave up dairy. I am glad that he is better, but I always feel hungry.
I am sloooowly fitting back into my clothes. I guess with the 3rd one it takes longer, especially since i am not able to be so active (which is a joke because I am constantly on the move with 3 kids). :
AHHHHHHH!!!TAXES!!
I'll have to do those soon. What a pain
Kudos to those who have them done already
Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 AM

i would put the dipes on tp first. but i unerstand the temptation of some mam,as getting into a bidding war over your dipes! lol i listed some things yesterday, we'll see how it goes. there is a lot of maternity clothes on ebay.

i don't know about the income...i plan on keeping good records just in case.

dominic has cut his night nursing to two times...we'll see , maybe before lonbg he'll be sleeping all night!

have a good weekend, everyone.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks everone for the support. I think I'm starting to feel more like myself. I guess I was fighting off another UTI which just baffles me since I never had to deal with one before Xander was born. I guess I'm back on the cranberry juice indefinitely.

Carrots, it's good you could pin it down to dairy (even though that sucks for you.) Can you substitute soy or rice milk/cheese/yogurt? If you increase your protein you should feel more full.

Jess- thanks for the tips. I needed to hear that too. I haven't ever sold anything on ebay so I'm a little nervous about it. Would Motherhood count as a brand name?

We're starting to see a little bit of the green eyed monster around here. Anyone else? Yesterday was the first time I noticed, but I think it had more to do with the ILs coming over than anything we're doing at home. Unfortunately, dd takes it out on me. (I guess turn about is fare play?) The ILs took her to church and back to their house to play and she was allowed to skip her nap. When they brought her home at 6:30 PM she basically fell apart. We decided that until she is sleeping better and everyone has adjusted better she should just come home after church when she goes. Dd still really loves ds, but she didn't want her grandparents taking any pictures of him. I think it's just growing pains and we'll get it together soon enough. I hope the rest of you are adjusting smoothly.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:23 PM

Sheesh...Ihave no time to read let alone post!

Remember when last week all Bryce did was sleep....yeah, thats over : He has thrush and I think that is a lot of it. He seems to be a real crank butt the last few days.

Tracy is being a beast right now. last night I went in to dh and said, if you don't deal with your son I'm going to beat the living crap out of him! I've had a cold or allergies acting up and TRraCY would NOT go to bed. He ggot up at 4:30 tired but wouldn't go to sleep. By 6:00 I was pissed.

Gotta go....Tracy was being a brat and climbed on Bryce...who is now crying...

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 02-22-2004, 06:35 PM

IOF- I just looked at your link and Bryce is a CUTIE PIE
Old 02-22-2004, 08:16 PM

No time to catch up but added a photo album on Yahoo! so you all could see my girls. The link is in my sig. Thanks for looking!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:24 PM

Thanks carrots! I'm adding more pics tonight.

I got my pouch this week. B Loves it!

I am very short tempered today..... : It doesn't help that B is cranky and so is T. I think B is cranky from thrush....

Old 02-22-2004, 09:57 PM

IOF- We're dealing with thrush here too. We've nicknamed ds The Purple Faced Monster due to the Gentian Violet. He has a purple beard. Thrush can give them gas if it gets to their gut. That can make a babe really uncomfortable. Are you having nipple pain too? It means no more sugar or juice for a while, but I don't want it coming back.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:21 PM

So give me the run down ono dos and don't of thrush.... I was going to call the ped about it but I want to try and treat it at home first. He does have gas...big time. He also spits up a lot. I'm not sure if that is related. I'm not sure how to determine reflux. I'm not sure if it is that or not.

I hate thrush! I never had to deal with it with Tracy.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chie96
No time to catch up but added a photo album on Yahoo! so you all could see my girls. The link is in my sig. Thanks for looking!
Holy cats! You weren't joking about the hair in the vacuum thing! :LOL They are both so cute...and I love the storytime picture.

We are (scratch that...I AM) having not-so-fond memories revived with our first growth spurt. : DS wanted to nurse ALL night and most of today. Still wants to nurse, in fact, but DH is keeping him occupied for a little bit so I can have a break. DD wasn't a comfort nurser but this little guy is, so I'm not familiar with having a little leech-baby attached to me constantly (but he's still so sweet).

Going for our two week pedi visit tomorrow. Guess I should take my own pen so I can start signing those non-vacc'ing release forms. My pedi is a whole-hearted believer in vacc'ing, but at least she supports the option to not vax and is a breastfeeding/co-sleeping mommy herself so visits to her aren't as tortuous as some experiences I've read about from other MDC mamas.

Slowly but surely getting back to normal. Franken-gina is healing well although I still haven't had the nerve to check things out with a mirror. I just wish I had a bit more energy to spread around.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
Old 02-23-2004, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
So give me the run down ono dos and don't of thrush.... I was going to call the ped about it but I want to try and treat it at home first. He does have gas...big time. He also spits up a lot. I'm not sure if that is related. I'm not sure how to determine reflux. I'm not sure if it is that or not.

I hate thrush! I never had to deal with it with Tracy.
Thrush

Reflux is generally diagnosed based on symptoms, so here they are...

Old 02-23-2004, 07:59 AM

Quote:
So give me the run down ono dos and don't of thrush
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=117084

This is a recent discussion in the breastfeeding forum that has a great link to the kellymom website. The website has excellent info. on thrush.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:11 AM

Sorry Megsmom. I just followed your link and realized we were sending her to the same place, your path was just more direct.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:04 PM

OOOH, I'm sorry about the thrush!! I've been taking the live acidophilus to make sure we don't get it as a result of antibiotics. it's been hard to cut down on the sugar because my sweet tooth is raging right now!

we had the growth spurt a couple weeks ago, hang in there doni!

we are having a nursing "issue". on one side, the letdown is so strong, dominic unlatches and screams and then doesn't want to finish nursing on that side...unless i'm lying down. i've tried letting it flow into a cloth and then trying to get him to relatch, but no go.
i can't lie down to nurse everytime during the day, and i'm worried about getting another breast infection-it's how we got the first one. any solutions? I hope I don't have to pump that side until things calm down.

anyway, gotta run--cranky boy. kiss the babies for me!

megan, your little guy is adorable. I finally figured out how to put a link in my siggy, buti need to update thepictures.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:48 PM

So I gave my baby boy a pacifier for the first time yesterday & I feel really guilty about it...it felt like playing a trick on him.

Yesterday I was so excited because I got 4 consecutive hours of sleep during the night, but then he nursed almost nonstop & didn't sleep at all from 6:30 am till almost noon, which is really unusual for him - maybe he is getting ready for a growth spurt? I swear I thought my nipples were going to wear out! Which led to finally agreeing with dh who was encouraging me to try the pacifier...am I being silly for feeling bad about it? It certainly calmed his crying when I was sure he wasn't hungry (right after a long nursing session).

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
Old 02-23-2004, 03:11 PM

I believe some babies need to suck, more than mamas nipples can take- I have used my finger to "pacify" my kids at times (always there unlike a pacifier ), and I don't feel one bit guilty about it

My suggestion would be to only use the pacifier in arms, in the car, or when/if you feel like throwing the baby out the window

All things in moderation- except love no moderation for that

Old 02-23-2004, 06:18 PM

I had to order the genetian violet. i cannot believe how hard it is to avoid sugar! I'm starving cause I didn't realize how much junk there is around this house! Here I thought we ate pretty sensibly...guess not!

Tracy has been a little better today. I think mainly he is jsut being a toddler.

I got my sling and Bryce loves it. I sent a pic to my mom of me using it (I'll post it onour website sometime soon) Anyway, my mom thought it was so cute she printed it out and took it to church. Everyone oodled over my sling They were all like "that thing is awesome!!" :LOL I love being a trend setter

I'm also getting over my cold...i gave it to dh this weekend but thats what he gets for putting his tongue down my throat

Oooo...my birthday is next monday and my third anniversary is next wednesday! Not sure we'll do anything since dh has rehersal on monday and we have church on wednesday....

As for babies needing to suck...both of my boys were/are suckers. Tracy always wanted to be latched on. Bryce will take a pacifier. I don't feel guilty giving it to him either. I did at first but we felt it was the best decision for the situation (it was when he was in special care) and he'll take it. He chews on it more than sucks. If he was older I'd swear he was getting teeth! It looks like he has 2 coming in on the bottom. You can even feel this sharp ridge under the skin.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mothernature
Sorry Megsmom. I just followed your link and realized we were sending her to the same place, your path was just more direct.
Well aren't you rude?

Old 02-24-2004, 01:02 AM

Well, I have my first breast infection! Isn't that exciting??: It doesn't hurt anymore, but I have a fever and all the rest of it. It stinks b/c I'm supposed to rest up, and that just not possible! I had a massive headache to go along with it all, but finally took some excedrine and thankfully it's gone. That was the worst part. Well, that and Erik being gone all the time and not being able to help. This is the worst time to get sick.

Megan, just wanted to say that pacifier use is associated w/ great risk of thrush. So be sure to boil them often (even when he's healthy) and toss them out when things clear up. Sorry you're going through thrush though. It's weird that cutting out sugar makes you more hungry, but that's the truth! Your body has to figure out how to use proteins and not quick carbs. I went though the hunger issue when I quit all my carbs for a couple weeks, preparing for my second GTT. You'd think after eating steak, broccoli, and salad you'd be full, but I was starving!!!

Ok, sorry for rambling. I just watch the finale of "my big fat obnoxious fiance"--better than I expected! We've watched tv ALL day w/ me on the couch to entertain James. I just hate that, but hopefully tomorrow will be better. I left James alone for a couple minutes, and he dumped out a whole big box of cereal on the floor! I didn't vaccum it up, just let him play and the dog eat it. I was too exhausted to do anything about it.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by VBMama
So I gave my baby boy a pacifier for the first time yesterday & I feel really guilty about it...it felt like playing a trick on him.
I understand your guilt. I had it too, *very* briefly! My nipples can't handle all the sucking my two want to do and I think a paci can be a very comforting thing to a baby. He didn't mind it, did he?

Old 02-24-2004, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
I'm also getting over my cold...i gave it to dh this weekend but thats what he gets for putting his tongue down my throat
My DH's tongue hasn't been anywhere near my throat in *months*.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by EmmaJean
I left James alone for a couple minutes, and he dumped out a whole big box of cereal on the floor! I didn't vaccum it up, just let him play and the dog eat it. I was too exhausted to do anything about it.

I cannot tell you how many food messes Meg has made that I have just left for the dog to eat. Including spreading HIS (dry!)food all over the house. I figured he'd eat it eventually and then I'd give him more.

User Tag List