Jan./Feb. 2004 Mamas Part I - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 181 Old 12-31-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping someone will be joining me here soon! I had my b/g twins Dec. 24 around 11 pm. They were 4-1/2 pounds each. They came home with me on Day 4 and now we are struggling to teach them to breastfeed. They are so wonderful and so beautiful and I can't wait to hear about the rest of your babies! You can see all my beauties at the links in my sig! Congrats to we new mamas!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#2 of 181 Old 01-01-2004, 12:00 AM

hey Megs Mom...just saying hey to keep you company even though my due date is not until Feb 16th. Hope all is starting to go better in the breastfeeding arena. I have a friend from prenatal yoga who had her first baby on Tuesday morning..she was induced and hemmorrhaged etc....but managed a vaginal delivery....8lbs 9oz at 39 weeks! She was induced for very complicated reasons..but I was happy to hear that her babe was that healthy of a birthweight.

Happy baby days...hope to be over here to join you in the next month or so...

Laura
#3 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#4 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 12:19 PM

more later
#5 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Kim, great to see you here!

#6 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 12:33 PM

I haven't posted much since Xander's arrival. He was born Fri. Jan. 16 and the following Mon. I got a massive kidney infection. I had to take antibiotics because they weren't sure if it was my kidneys or a hot appendix and they needed to find out quickly. Now we're dealing with thrush from the stupid antibiotics and Xander has a pretty snotty nose. I tell you, it's been one thing after another. I'm ready to get this little family healthy again and get on with our lives. I'm going to try to get him in for his first Dr. appointment this morning because we can't get a birth certificate until he's been seen by a dr. He was born U/C at home so dh and I are the only witnesses. I guess they have to be careful about people filing for fraudulant birth certificates.: He looks so much like his daddy that it's almost spooky. I'm so pleased that he had lots of dark hair. Dd has my fine blonde hair and for a boy that would be such a drag. I still haven't posted any pictures to our website. To be quite honest, his first pictures are a bit rough. He looks like he's been sparring with Holyfield for a few rounds. Why is it that they look absolutely beautiful in person, but try to capture that on camera and you get a mess? I'm going to spend some time trying to capture the sweetness so I can post pics later.

I'm glad to hear that nursing twins is going a little smoother for you these days. I'm more than impressed with you twin mommies. Is Meg still the proud big sister? Zen is really living up to her new role. I heard her talking to him the other day saying, "Don't you worry Shigogi, (her name for him) big sister is here." She just can't wait until he's big enough to actually play with her.

Have you braved it out of the house much with the trio? I'm still a little cautious about getting out with the two of mine. We did go to gymnastics Tuesday, but that's as far as I've gotten without dragging dh along for the support. I think with two the best way to do the shopping is to sling the baby and put the toddler in the cart. How on earth do you arrange three?

Are you getting any sleep yet? I tell you, Xander would sleep great if he didn't have such a stuffy nose. Dh and I can't stand to hear him snuffle so I've been up about every hour for the past two nights with the bulb syringe. Dh brought home a suction cathater from the hospital so he can do a more thorough job. What's ironic is that dh and I almost never get sick and since Thanksgiving I've had the flu, dd has had the flu, dh had a virus, I gave birth and got a kidney infection, dd caught a cold/virus?, ds caught said cold/virus and now we have thrush to surmount. I think we've made up for all the times I've bragged that we never get sick. Now maybe we've gotten all the illness out of the way for 2004 and we can go back to being healthy. I hope your crew has fared better than us.

I can't wait until we've all had our babes and moved to this forum. I guess IOF is having her C/S this morning. We should be hearing from her soon 2much2love had her girl U/C and USAmma had her baby too. This thread should be hoppin'. Oh, well -- in time. Have a great day!
#7 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 12:39 PM

Hi

I am here.

Things are going really good, but I have a lot to get done today: , I'll check back soon though

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#8 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 PM

Hi, mamas. I am so happy to be graduated to this group.

What a wonderful job you are doing Meg'smom. I cannot imagine twins. Glad you are all doing so well.

Sorry you have so much illness, mothernature. I absolutely hate it when everyone is sick. Hero, my two year old, had a cold the day the baby was born and now Eden has it. No fever at least, just stuffy and sneezy. I hope you guys all get better soon. It is no fun at all.

We are doing pretty well here. My breasts are soooo HUGE and rock hard. I had a pretty uncomfortable night. I hope they calm down soon.

Eden is doing well. Eating well (as well as she can from a beach ball!) Hero is adjusting and doing alot better than at first. Serra has done great from the start and just loves Eden. Dh is glowing as much as me in the after glow of birth. I feel really great, almost back to normal. I was thinking of getting out of the house today but since Eden started sneezing and stuffing last night I might put it off a few more days. It is cold here and I'd hate for her to catch a chill.

Dh is home from work for 2 weeks and will go back to school full time next week so I am sooo happy to have him around for so long. He is doing a great job being a "mom" and houskeeper. :LOL

Anyway, can't wait to see more mamas here.
Beth
#9 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, mothernature, what a rough time you've been having! I'm really sorry to hear that! Yes, Meg is still a wonderful big sister, she just adores our babies!

Have only ventured out with all three to church, and only with three adults (my mom included). When I do it on my own, like for shopping, I figure I'll do a baby in a sling, a baby in a bucket on the shopping cart, and Meg either in the back of the cart or walking...or maybe in one of those race-car shopping carts if available. I also have a twin carrier to wear both babies, so in that case Meg could be in the front of the grocery cart.

#10 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 04:09 PM
TLL

I don't get much chance to post, but how exciting to get to join in this thread! My partner gave birth to our first baby on January 2. He's wonderful, of course

My partner is home with him during the day and going a bit stir crazy. It is so cold here (15 below today) we've been trying not to take him out more often than necessary, especially since he's already got a stuffy nose. The plan was for them to come have lunch with me at work at least once a week, but it will have to warm up first. So, she is very ready for spring - or even above zero temps!

I can't believe he's already almost one month old. Time went so incredibly slowly during the pregnancy, and now it is flying by!

I look forward to reading about others' experiences - even if I don't get to post much, I'll be checking in!
#11 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 05:32 PM

Hello everyone,
Elias is 3 weeks today We went to the midwife yesterday and he is 11 pounds, up one since birth. He doesn't look like a 3 weeks old-he is sooooo big!
Isn't it amazing how much you have to plan just to go on a simple errand like the grocery store?
We only have one appointment with the midwife left and I am so sad. I think I'll just set up watch in the corner at the birth center and watch all the beautiful pregnant mama's go by
#12 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 06:42 PM

nak

glad to see some more mamas here!

mothernature, it sure sounds like your household has had its fair share of illness. :-/ hopefully you're done now and will have smooth sailing until warmer weather.

dh has been off work for 3 weeks and had changed his mind about taking 6 weeks and reduced it to 3 weeks. which means that starting monday, it's me and the boys during the day. i've ventured to the grocery store and target with the baby in the sling and dh along. we should have some interesting adjustments as we go along...

dominic is a dream baby so far. he nurses nd sleeps well. i wake up about ecery 2-3 hours at night and nurse him in bed. sometimes he makes it back to the bassinette, others not. he rarely cries and is quite content most of the time.

i continue to be amazed at how wet he can soak his dipes. prefolds and kissaluvs can easily get soaked through in a short amount of time. i bought some fuzzibunz for night which are helping keep his bottom drier. i have some fleece topped doublers on order, too. the cloth at least don't leak like the disposables were, though. on a side note, my dryer pooped out today, dh is trying to fix it. hopefully it is a simple thing like he tells me it is.

my dd loves the baby to pieces and would hold him constantly, if she could. anthony is still trying to convince us his name is anthony2 and not dominic. he had a hard couple of days when we came home, but is doing much better now. he actually loves his brother and is good about being gentle and waiting extra minutes when he wants something if i'm in themiddle of a d iaperchange or something.

i am going stir crazy, with the cold weather and not wanting the baby to get sick. hopefully soon we can get bnack to some activities.

I'm feeling wonderful, now that my swelling is finally gone and my backache when away. 2much, I had horrible engorgement, too, the first 2-3 days my milk was in. Hopefully you'll feel better soon, it's a horrible feeling! I was desperately waking the baby up to get himto nurse a few minutes.
#13 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 09:15 PM

Hey guys :0)

Sorry about the sickies Mothernature. Hopefully it'll all be over soon!

We're having very cold weather lately here too, so I can commiserate with the rest of you cold folks ;0) We've had days and days of below zero weather and I feel like I couldn't take Camilla out if I wanted to half the time...

My dh went back to work yesterday, we survived ;0) It's going to be quite an adventure tho when we finally decide to venture out just me and the kids!

Camilla is a nursing pro, had her 2 week appt today and she's up to 7lbs 6oz (from 6 14). Big bro and sis are still doing really well, they both love her to bits and are being really patient with ME too :0)

Carrots, I know an Elias IRL and he was born at almost 10lbs and is the chunkiest baby, it's funny that your Elias is a little chunker too :0)

Oh, it's funny to hear all the stuffy nose woes. Camilla has a stuffy nose all the time too. I really don't think she's sick, I think it's the combination of a)tiny nostrils, teeheehee, and b) wood heat. She does better if we hang wet towels for extra humidity, but my best friend (and her worst enemy) is the bulb syringe... Poor little tiny nosed thing ;0)

Thanks for motivating the thread Meg's mom :0)

Talk soon :0)
#14 of 181 Old 01-29-2004, 09:44 PM

Things are going so good here, Sean is the best baby ever, I swear! I think it is partly just that he's great, and partly that we found out post-surgery that I cannot safely have more children (which we had hoped to have), so knowing that this is the last newborn I will have, the last baby I will nurse, etc. I didn't expect this at 26 years old, YK? But, I am treasuring every minute with him.

My older kids love, love love him so much and are adjusting really well (ds is sad that I cannot pick him up, but I am trying to remedy that with lots of floor time). I cannot believe how big my kids are now, Danny was my baby a week ago, and now- he's so BIG- he's clearly a toddler, and I just hadn't noticed:

Question- Sean's left eye seems to have a fair amount of "funk", I always wipe it out when I see it, so it's not crusty or anything, but could it be a problem? I don't want to have to take him to the Dr., so I'm hoping it's normal.

Can I just say how nice it is to have a place for all of us to continue what we started while pregnant? It is really nice

Oh- and Sean and I are both LOVING the kangaroo korner fleece pouch Thanks again to whomever recommended it to me months ago

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#15 of 181 Old 01-30-2004, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Patrick gets eye funk and his is clogged tear ducts. Use a warm compress several times a day and gently massage upward from next to the bottom of his nose to the inner corner of his eye.

#16 of 181 Old 01-31-2004, 12:00 PM

just writing to say my little man is getting the cutest little saggy cheeks and another chin!! i love watching my babies grow chubby on my milk. )

and jess-- big hugs to you. i'm so sorry about not being able to carry more babies.
#17 of 181 Old 01-31-2004, 01:31 PM

Finally getting a chance to post on this thread!

Hope all the sickies are feeling better! Sadie has a really stuffed up little nose, too

Oh, dear, both babes fussing - more later
#18 of 181 Old 01-31-2004, 03:11 PM

Well, I can finally join you!!!

I guess Bryce is the youngest... as of now. I hope the rest of the gals are joining us soon!

We are doing well. Bryce was in special care for about 30 hours but is finally being weaned off his iv. So, hopefully after his vital check he'll come back to me wihout the iv!

He seems to be a good sleeper. We aren't sure how much of that is from the iv though. Since his blood suar is elevated from the iv he never really gets hungry so he has no need to wake. But, when he is awake he is very very aler.

I can't wait to be able to post some pics of him. He has dark brown hair and has a very hairy back! They knicked his head as they were cutting through my uterus. There wasn't a lot of fluid around his head and even thouh she was going really really slow it still happened. It has just about healed though.

I can't wait to take him home.

I haven't cauht up reading because I don't have a lot of time and the tv is far away and hard to read. But I should get to check in tomorrow.

Later ladies!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#19 of 181 Old 01-31-2004, 06:11 PM

Congrats IOF! It's nice to "see" you in here. Hoping it's soon you get to take home your lil bundle :0)

Hey, those with baby eye funk, squirt some breastmilk in their eyes (mine have never minded this at all although it *sounds* rude ;0) it looks pretty funny for a few minutes, teehee, but it works WONDERS on whatever funk ails them... I promise, try it :0)

((((((((((Jess)))))))))) on finding out that you won't be able to carry a pregnancy again. It sounds like you're dealing with it alright, I'm glad you got such a sweet one :0)
#20 of 181 Old 01-31-2004, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I was putting BM in Patrick's eye but it didn't help since the problem was a blocked duct rather than something bacterial!

#21 of 181 Old 02-01-2004, 09:59 AM

nak

hi megan--

glad to see you here. how are you feeling? glad to hear little bryce is doing well. how is his jaundice? my dd andi had the abo blood thing and she had to be under the bili lights. hopefully you two can avoid that and go home, where i'm sure you want to be.

my girlfriend's son has a blocked tear duct. she just keeps wiping it with a clean warm cloth.
#22 of 181 Old 02-01-2004, 05:23 PM

At his last check his bili level was 11.1 They weren't concerned about it. We are supposed to go in tomorrow for a check-up. This ped practice follows breastfed babes close. I guess to make sure they gain enough weight. We will probably just go to tomorrow's visit and thats it. We jsut want to make sure the jaundice situation gets better.

I sat in the sun for about 2 hours with him today (he was all undressed) and I took lots of pics of him smiling in the sun!

I LOVE this little boy! My dh is a lot more into Bryce than he was into Tracy. I catch him holding and playing with him when no one is looking....

I hear a fussy babe....bbl!!

Oh, I get my fleece pouch this week!!!! YAY for MILs!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#23 of 181 Old 02-01-2004, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Eden is doing well. Eating well (as well as she can from a beach ball!)
I am so with you on that one. I laughed so hard when I read that.

Looks like this thread is really picking up. I guess we're not the only ones who have dealt with the sickies. I'm sending out wellness vibes to all.

Jess- sorry to hear about this being your last pregnancy. At least you have your little blessings. Savor each moment. I'm sure that's tough news anyway.

Dd had the eye funk when she was born too. I did a combo of tear duct massage and bm shot into the eye. My aim wasn't that good at the time so I would pump a little into a bottle and drop it in (that was the only use our bottles got.) It took a while, but it did clear up. Warm compresses were the most effective though.

I took ds to the dr. Fri. I had to get dr. proof that he is here so I can get a birth certificate. Since he's had a snotty nose, she was concerned (to the tune of $400.) She ordered a chest x-ray, CDC count and blood culture. I didn't want her to think we were neglectful parents so I had the tests run and they all came back good. She still prescribed amoxicillin for him. This particular Dr. is known for being conservative for antibiotic prescriptions. She does cranial sacral therapy for ear infections and respiratory infections, but I think she was suspicious of GBS since ours was a UC homebirth. I'm supposed to bring him back in tomorrow for a follow up check up, but I haven't filled the amox. prescription because I still can't figure out why it's necessary. I should have called back right away because the longer I wait the harder it is to make that call. I just don't want her to think I'm challenging her judgement (even though I am.) She's the most AP friendly dr. our city has so I don't want to pi$$ her off. I also still need her to sign off on the birth certificate.

I sound like such a complainer now that ds is born. I don't want to be like that. I'm ready to manifest some positive energy from here on out. I'm glad to hear about everyone else's great beginnings. I'm absolutely in love with my little guy. He looks just like his daddy. His daddy is more wrapped up in him than he was with dd too, IOF. I think it's easier the second time around for dads. They don't have as much shock to get over. Dd is also in love. My mother arrived last night and that is the first I noticed of dd competing with ds for attention. She's doing really well though. I'm glad my mom is here for a week. It will be nice to have a helper.

Imonion- I would love to see a pic of those chubby cheeks. I can't wait till we get some chunky creases too. Ds has already gained 1lb and 3oz.

Jen- I meant to tell you I love the name Camilla. It sounds like she is doing great!

I have to go for now. Have a great day!
#24 of 181 Old 02-01-2004, 09:59 PM

my dh and i were talking yesterday about how strong elias's neck is already but then decided that it was more neck fat and multiple chins that held him up then muscle:LOL :LOL
#25 of 181 Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 AM

mothernature, sorry you are going through that with the doctor. Sounds like a tough situation, but sounds like she is waaaayyy off on the prescription.

Hero is getting much better. She is learning not to hug Eden's face : finally. She is definately used to me holding Eden but if daddy holds her she gets upset, so we still have some work to do. Serra is a real champ. She loves being the biggest sister and is so proud of all she can do as a big kid.

I feel 100% normal, btw. This has been my fastest "recovery" so far.

Oh, the really great thing. During this pregnancy I found dh sooo unattractive. I was worried for awhile that I would never like him in that special way again and we would have to settle for a sexless marriage. Well, the passion is back and he looks great to me again. I actually can hardly wait to get back into action. Sorry if that was TMI I am just so happy that I like dh again.

Hugs and kisses to all the babies and mamas and siblings.
#26 of 181 Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 AM

morning!!

mother, i am sorry about the pedi. and the antibiotics and tests. kind of a slap in the face after your great uc birth, huh? it's a tough call for sure.

2much, anthony at first preferred daddy not hold the baby, too, but now he is doing much better at sharing. my body feels much better now, too. it's hard to remember i was pg not that long ago. i still have some occasional spotting, but hopefully that will end soon so dh and I can get reacquainted.

iof--bili of 11 is good, are you going home today? or are you home already?

today is the first day w/ just me and the boys. we have nasty winter weather again today, so we'llhave to keep occupied indoors. i will be so glad for spring this year. maybe i should spend some time getting my seeds started in the basement.

k gonna run. have diapers to fold!!
#27 of 181 Old 02-02-2004, 07:30 PM

Hi all,
Congratulations to all of you! I don't know if you all remember me, I posted periodically to the pregnancy list. Anyway, my daughter, Katja Juliana, was born at home on January 10th at 11:56 PM after 3 hours of labour and 1.5 hours of pushing. She was 6lb. 13oz. and 19" long at birth. She was 9 days "early".
Although she was born at home, I did hemorrhage, and ended up going to the hospital, and although the experience itself was not unpleasant, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that my body did not work the way it was "supposed to".
Katja is a very easy baby - we usually only wake up once during the night, and because she sleeps in bed with us, I don't even have to get up (unless I need to pee or get a drink of water-Nursing is very thirsty work! I've always been a big water drinker, but I cannot believe how much I'm drinking now!) She really enjoys being babyworn (is that the correct term?), and I really enjoy having her with me most of the time.
Mandy
#28 of 181 Old 02-03-2004, 01:20 AM

Mherle- I PMed you. Congrats on your new one. My son was born the 16th 10 days "early." I think this January crew was in a hurry to arrive. Several of us went "early." The rest were waiting to be Aquarians.

I found out why the ped wanted ds to take antibiotics. She suspects he is septic (a systemic bacterial infection.) The blood culture was clean the first day, but it has to grow out for 3-4 days before they can rule that out and in the mean time they want to start antibiotics as a precaution. Usually they start IV antibiotics for septic newborns. I'm going to call back tomorrow to find out the test results and if he is positive for systemic bacteria I will fill the script. He seems to be feeling better than he was on Fri. so pray we don't have to start the antibiotic cycle at this tender age. His nose is a little sore from being suctioned, but we aren't having to do that as often so it should start to heal up soon. I'm glad I didn't actually speak to the Dr. because on her message she said they wanted to know if he was actually taking the meds. I'm not sure whether I would have been competely honest with her or not. She wants to see him in two weeks for a follow up appt. Until then we're going to hit the cool mist vaporizer and nebulizer hard and focus on the rib raising and lymphatic pump OMT.

I hope those of you who are couped up indoors see warmer days soon. We get a little stir crazy when we can't get outside to play.

Baby needs me. Gotta go.
#29 of 181 Old 02-03-2004, 01:00 PM

I am so happy to see this thread becoming as active as our pregnancy thread, soon we will all be here

So, let me just say- YEAH for Breastmilk in the eyes I admit I was a little reluctant, not that I thought it would be a bad thing, but I thought it wouldn't really work. So, I tried it, cause, I just did not want to call and go to the pediatrician, and WHAM- so much clearer- amazing! It is/was definietly an infection and not a clogged duct- as it got yellowish/greenish yesterday and spread to the other eye, now both eyes are much clearer- I started by using expressed milk on a soft cloth, then last night he was hemming and hawing when my milk was letting down, so instead of letting it drip all over the pillow, I dripped it into his eyes, and I really think it is doing the trick My MIL (who is pretty grossed out by BFing although she at least tries to hide it) was here, and she is amazed and very impressed at just one more good thing about breastmilk.

OK, now a nursing question- LC always say "get to the baby before they are too hungry" (ie- offer the breast at the first sign of hunger) , but then they say, "Don't let the baby latch on until the mouth is open nice and wide", well for my baby (and my son was the same way), as newborns, they just will not open wide until they are a little upset. Can't really strike a balance on that yet. I have to say though, this is my easiest nursing experience, although it hurts a bit at first, and I have to adjust his latch (pull out his lips), my nipples haven't bleed or cracked at all It's the simple things in life that make me happy.

I also have not had any baby blues (yet- I am sure it could still happen), and I think that is b/c I know this is my last babe , and I am just not about to miss this time, YK?

Mothernature, I am hoping your babe's tests come back ok, and that you won't have to start antibiotics, I know I would dread that right now too.

#30 of 181 Old 02-03-2004, 01:35 PM

OK, now a nursing question- LC always say "get to the baby before they are too hungry" (ie- offer the breast at the first sign of hunger) , but then they say, "Don't let the baby latch on until the mouth is open nice and wide", well for my baby (and my son was the same way), as newborns, they just will not open wide until they are a little upset. Can't really strike a balance on that yet. I have to say though, this is my easiest nursing experience, although it hurts a bit at first, and I have to adjust his latch (pull out his lips), my nipples haven't bleed or cracked at all It's the simple things in life that make me happy.>>

I have to remind Dominic to open wide, too. He gets a little ticked but I help him by pulling on his chin while he's latching. It helps a lot, otherwise he makes weird noises when he's nursing. They say it helps if you show them how to open wide by opening your mouth as he latches, too. It can't hurt, I guess.

Glad the eye gunk is getting better--I know you were getting worried.

Mother, how are things for you?

Welcome and congrats to Mandy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page