anyone's newborn gasp and make weird breathing noises? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi gals, new mama here. My ds is 7.5 weeks old. Since birth he has every once in a while made this kind of gasping noise, the high pitched sound you get when you close the back of your throat and then try to breath through it. The kind of sound you'd expect when he forgets to breath for a second and then takes a big squeally gasp. If it only happenen when he slept, I would think it was some sort of apnea, but it doesn't.

Well, it didn't bother me too much at first, I figured it was just him figuring out how to use his lungs and stuff. But now, especially in the last few days, he's been doing it more and more. I've been paying attention to when, and it's all the time: awake, asleep, eating, sitting up, laying down etc. As I type this, I've heard him on the monitor do it about 5-6 times.

I'm going to call the fam. practitioner on Mon., but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Did you find out why this happened? Did they grow out of it? Is it indicative of a problem, or just a newborn thing?

TIA.

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
#2 of 4 Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 AM

Our sons both did this thing, at first both waking and sleeping, but as they got older only sleeping, where they'd take a triple breath in and then a long breath out. It's possible that if their physiology was different, it would sound like what you're describing.

Newborns *do* do some weird breathing stuff, but I don't blame you for double-checking on it.
#3 of 4 Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 AM

Yes, my DD made gasping noises and squeaks
#4 of 4 Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 AM

We used to call Toby "Snortin' Norton" because he snorted and made extremely weird and freaky breathing noises all the time. He grew out of it eventually

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page