Baby Boys in Dresses - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you think it's okay to put a baby boy in a dress?
Sure, gender attitudes re: clothes are so old-fashioned! 72 28.13%
No way; that's not right. 134 52.34%
Other 50 19.53%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am all about reusing clothes we already have. I have also told people who have given us baby clothes that I don't care what gender they are for b/c I'll put my baby boy (if it's a boy) in anything, or vice versa.

Dresses are also easier for elimination communication, which we plan to do. Thoughts?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and hoping to conceive and also adopt in 2017!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, up until the last 100 years or so, all small children and babies wore dresses. However, I'd probably remove the lace and ribbons and maybe dye them more "neutral" colors for a boy.

Personally, though, I'd scrub the wardrobe for anything that could go either way and not use the dresses for a boy. Although I think my son would look right dapper with a kilt.
#3 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't do it. First people will assume (rightly) he's a girl if he's wearing a dress. Second, when he grows up he'll probably be mortified if he sees pics of himself wearing dresses when he was a baby. I'm fine with letting boys play dress up or wearing "girl" colors, but I think wearing a dress is going a bit far.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#4 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM

the only time i MIGHT consider it is for a baptism.
#5 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM

I think I am pretty open minded but I wouldn't put my son in a dress. I mean he's worn them before for silliness and dress up but as regular clothing. Nope. A long shirt, yes. A pink shirt? Why not? But very obvious girl clothing, no.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#6 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Like the little newborn gowns? SURE, my sons wore those a lot.

A pink, frilly (and probably itchy) dress? Nope, not unless big sis is playing dress up with them -- which she does, and it's cute.

eta: just ask for gender neutral clothing, that way you can use them regardless.

The wrap around t-shirts (can't think of the name) are nice if you are avoiding onesies. Plus they don't have to go over baby's sensitive head.

The problem with dresses, even with little girls, is that they make learning to crawl and other gross motor movements harder. Even my princess almost never wore dresses.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't do it.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#8 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 PM

The baby's daddy would kill me.

*mischievous grin* (No! Bad, me! )

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't dress my son in dresses... at least not full-time. (*cough*)

- Born 7/21/09
#9 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 PM

No, I don't think I would. But I didn't use much dresses on my daughter when she was a baby either and pink isn't my favorite colour. So I've reused most of her baby clothes on my son.
#10 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM

My boys have worn pink diapers, shirts, etc but I draw the line at dresses. I wouldn't put a boy in a dress for anything other than dress up.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#11 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:02 PM

No dresses for my son either.

Most of my kids spend their first year + of life in a diaper with a t-shirt, or a diaper with nothing on top. Maybe some babylegs. I only 'dress' them when I have to!

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#12 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Mmm nah, dresses were a pain in the rear for my oldest dd when I didn't know any better & kept her in them. When she started face planting while trying to crawl I decided to never use them again except for maybe planned photography.

So if I hated the things on my girls..I'm not putting them on my son

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#13 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM

not a dress but I put all my boys in the sleeper gowns. LOVE those.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#14 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 PM

I totally did it. Not every day, but as a part of the regular wardrobe, sure.

I have two boys and a whole box of simple smock dresses my grandma made for me and my sisters back in the day. I'd put them on my toddler boys in the summer, especially when they were playing with the water table in the backyard, but out and around, too. It made changing them so much easier. And they looked so darn cute. (Actually, they looked exactly like me in old photos.)

I could care less whether people thought they were girls.
#15 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
Well, up until the last 100 years or so, all small children and babies wore dresses. However, I'd probably remove the lace and ribbons and maybe dye them more "neutral" colors for a boy.

Personally, though, I'd scrub the wardrobe for anything that could go either way and not use the dresses for a boy. Although I think my son would look right dapper with a kilt.
What do you mean 100 years? I have pictures of my dad in dresses as a baby. He was born in 1942.

My DH wouldn't allow it. I think he has some gender issues. Boys can't do anything too girly, etc.
#16 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I think I am pretty open minded but I wouldn't put my son in a dress. I mean he's worn them before for silliness and dress up but as regular clothing. Nope. A long shirt, yes. A pink shirt? Why not? But very obvious girl clothing, no.
:
I personally don't like dresses anyways. Even if I was having a girl I wouldn't put her in a dress. I pretty much hate them.

I did however order a diaper that was "raspberry" and when it came it was undeniably PINK like : pink. Oh well, if my son feels demasculated by a diaper, hes got more coming.

Creepers, long shirts, those sleeper bags, those are all fair game. Kids are genderless until they are older anyway.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 PM

I don't see the big deal! Go for it.
People always called my son a "she" no matter what he was wearing when he was an infant. I don't think it matters at all.
#18 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 PM

I have a hello kitty denium dress that just may end up on my boy, if I don't sew it into pants. I don't care under a certain age they won't remember and besides unless you take them out all the time who is going to see the dresses besides you? I have two pink onesies he will wear too.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#19 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM

No, I wouldn't put a son in a dress.
#20 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
i have not read the other replies so far but i voted yes. i put lots of dresses on my son as a small child. up until probably 1 1/2?! he liked them and i did too. it was fine by me! and his daddy too
he is now 6 and all boy :P

Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.... mama of 4 lovelies, an angel, and one on the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#21 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM

I wanted my ds to wear our family heirloom baptism gown but dh was uncomfortable with it. But I wouldn't put a dress on him for going out, which was the only time dd ever wore a dress.
#22 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM

i would not
#23 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM

Moved to Life with a Babe.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#24 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 PM

I don't see what it matters. He's a baby.

For what it's worth I have a friend whose mom dressed him in hand-me-downs including dresses and tights when he was a baby, and he turned out just fine. I can't see why it would be a problem. (Except I can see what PP are saying about dresses being inconvenient and maybe less comfortable for babies.)

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#25 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 PM

DS wore the same baptismal gown as DD (long). He also wore the dress sleepers & gowns. Didn't dress him as a girl as a *baby.*

That said, as he grew older he chose his own clothes. He had girl shirts, girl sandals and a couple dresses that were hand me downs from DD that he loved. I ended up buying him a Hanna Anderson dress for himself that he fell in love with, and that was around the time he stopped wearing dresses and became really only into "boy" things. He was 5 at that point. DP wears a kilt often and DS wanted one so bad, but I couldnt' find him one. I ended up getting him a couple girls pleated skorts that he loved. He wore them often. He has also chosen to have long hair much of the time and when he was younger he really liked having painted nails (definatley more than DD or I ever did, but DP was into painting his nails at that time too).

He has often been mistaken for a girl, which kind of ticks him off, but the thing is... he's pretty. Big blue eyes, LONG eyelashes, fair skin---even at 7 he just is not that masculine looking (not that I think he "should" be). What's funny though, is that anyone who knows him doesn't understand how people could even think he is a girl.

#26 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
In the mid seventies my grandmother dressed my little brother in a dress to go to the market because my mom didn't leave a change of clothes....my nena didn't give an arse about what other people thought!!!!! lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#27 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM

I don't believe in dresses until kids can walk. Before that dresses just get in the way of moving, playing, and being held. I guess I don't have a problem with boys in dressed, but by the time they can walk they would also start to notice that everyone is getting their gender wrong.

I am really hoping my dd can walk by Easter, since I really do want to put her in a dress
#28 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM

depends on the dress... with those nightgowny sack things, sure. with the ridiculously frilly pink dress my great aunt just gave dd...no way. get a picture of that and he'll hold it over your head later
#29 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiegirl1974 View Post
I wouldn't do it. First people will assume (rightly) he's a girl if he's wearing a dress. Second, when he grows up he'll probably be mortified if he sees pics of himself wearing dresses when he was a baby. I'm fine with letting boys play dress up or wearing "girl" colors, but I think wearing a dress is going a bit far.
:
#30 of 78 Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

How interesting to read. If I had a little boy I would put him in DD's dresses. I knitted a green dress before DD was born, and lacy bonnets in many colours, despite not knowing the sex). That said, the green dress isn't lacy, and DD's favourite dresses are baby blue and blue denim, with no lace or ribbons, just plain sleeve-less dresses. I might not dress a little boy in the dress covered in pink cherry blossom, but the plain pink knitted ones, well, maybe. Pink socks, tops, jersey, pants? Absolutely! I love pink and blue, so DD wears a lot of pink or blue. And dresses are easy with EC! Also, they are so handy with a tall skinny baby - most pants just fall off DD. We haven't had any problems with crawling or climbing.

About dresses not being comfortable - well, a knitted dress is very soft, stretchy, nice and comfy for a baby of any age, and thin woven cotton dresses are lovely to wear on hot summer days!

About christening or baptism gowns - I thought that was what you wore for a christening, preferably a family heirloom. I wasn't christened as a baby (that happened later), but all of my cousins have worn he family gown, boys as well as girls. I thought that was the same things as priests sometimes wearing robes - not a feminine thing, just traditional!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page