Mothering Forum banner

Jelly Beans for a ten month old?

1K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Liquesce 
#1 ·
My very good friend gave her granddaughter jelly beans today. She is ten months old has two teeth(not that that matters) and eats most table food. I don't get it. This is the same person who won't give her fresh fruit till she is a year or yougart. But heck we can let her eat jelly beans and malt balls all she wants.

I just laughed and said "wow but she liked that". But, inside I want to thump her on the head. Did anyone else give babes candy today? Or any other day?

#5 ·
I don't see how giving candy is harmful. If that was all the baby was being fed, sure that's a problem. I don't understand why she waits for fruit until after a year, but I also don't see a huge problem with it as long as the baby is being properly fed breastmilk or formula as their main food source.

Why would her giving her granddaughter candy make you want to thump her on the head?

#6 ·
Absolutely not! They're a choking hazard, and no baby needs to develop a taste for sugary candies before they've learned what real food tastes like! They're not hard, they're gummy, which can be even worse than hard candy because it can get wedged into places hard candies can't fit. Then again, they do dissolve pretty quickly in water, and kid's throats are pretty wet.

Would I panic if my crawling baby found some jellybeans an older child dropped on the floor, and ate them before we could stop him or her? No, just as I wouldn't panic if the baby ate a bug or some carpet fuzz. But I still wouldn't feed that to a baby on purpose, not before the child is old enough to see what the other kids are eating and feel left out if he or she doesn't get some too. For my oldest, that was age 3, for my younger kids, around 1.5 (since they had older siblings to grab food from, as opposed to just other kids we weren't related to and didn't know very well.)

#7 ·
I would want to thump anyone on the head who gave there baby candy. Baby meaning under 1 yr. That is just me.

The fruit thing I don't get either. Something about her mother said its not good for them.

My thinking is along the lines of Ruthla...as far as candy.

#9 ·
I would consider it utterly none of my business ... I'm pretty relaxed about food though; I'm not big on hardcore restrictions for the sake of taste development or whatever. I am just not convinced that a child that gets 98% healthy food is going to be less inclined to make good food choices when they're older than a child that gets 100%, no matter the age.

#10 ·
On our way to Echo's 1 year WBV, we went to a Yogurberry frozen yogurt shop and shared a plain frozen yogurt with gummy bears. Granted, she had maybe a spoon full of yogurt and MAYBE 1.5 mini-gummy bears, but it was for fun, and she really seemed to enjoy it. I hope that she finds enjoyment from all of the new experiences her life has to offer. I wouldn't judge too harshly!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccajo View Post
I don't see how giving candy is harmful. If that was all the baby was being fed, sure that's a problem. I don't understand why she waits for fruit until after a year, but I also don't see a huge problem with it as long as the baby is being properly fed breastmilk or formula as their main food source.

Why would her giving her granddaughter candy make you want to thump her on the head?
Because whatever reason she's got for avoiding fruit should be a reason for avoiding jelly beans. The natural flavors in those do come from fruit after all.

And they're a choking hazard. I bet her baby was swallowing them whole.

It's not giving candy that gets me, it's giving fruit-based hard candy and not giving fruit that makes me go

I'm very relaxed about what I give Lina and she's had tastes of things like chocolate pudding. I don't think it's horrible to not do a 100% healthy diet, but if you're going to make a fuss about fruit and yogurt being bad for babies you should avoid the stuff that's really horrible.

#12 ·
Yes, my ds had jelly beans at (and probably before) 10 months. My answer would have been totally different with dd. I was SOOOOO strict about what I would let pass her lips up until she was about 2. But with 2 kids now and my dd eating candy, I find it really hard to keep things away from my son. It really depends on the child. Yes, they are a choking hazard but some kids do better with food earlier than others. My ds did just fine with them at 10 months (of course I didn't give him a lot of them and I watched him very closely). So I think it's fine. I'm confused as to why she can't have fresh fruit though.

#13 ·
I think the reason for fresh fruit is that either
1. some berries are allergenic?
or
2.some people say to start with veggies first for babies bc they will develop a sweet tooth if they get the fruits and then won't want the veggies... I can only see this happening if (and that is negotiable bc I don't know if this whole reason is even true!) the baby is FF bc BM is very sweet.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
I think the reason for fresh fruit is that either
1. some berries are allergenic?
or
2.some people say to start with veggies first for babies bc they will develop a sweet tooth if they get the fruits and then won't want the veggies... I can only see this happening if (and that is negotiable bc I don't know if this whole reason is even true!) the baby is FF bc BM is very sweet.
1. Yeah, but then a fruit-based candy is a risk too.
2. By 10months, the kid should've had veggies already. And candy's not going to avoid a sweet tooth.

Wait...
sorry you're only addressing the fruit question not the jellybeans, but not fruit question.

Sorry!

#16 ·
I was just wondering what other moms gave their kids as far as candy etc. My older DD gets candy but not a whole lot and no soda and very rarely juice. She didn't get candy till she was about 3. Nope not business what they feed at all but, yep it drives me nuts that they assume since she is small that it is okay to give her junk. If she weren't they have both said that they would watch what she eats.

#19 ·
No she doesn't have guardianship and the babys mother doesn't care. Its pretty much as long babe isn't crying then her mother doesn't care what she is doing...After thinking more about this it shouldn't surprise me they have also given her sips of Dr.Pepper and coffee.

#23 ·
My almost one year old with only two teeth doesn't get jelly beans. Pro or anti-candy arguments aside, I wouldn't give them to her because they're a choking hazard-she wouldn't get a jelly bean for similar reasons to the ones that keep me from handing her whole grapes.

#26 ·
heck no. I'm anti-candy, anti-soda for my LO. she's only 8mo, but I'm going to avoid these things for as long as possible. keep it fresh, natural & healthy.

I have a friend who feeds her LO sour-sugar-encrusted gummy worms. she thinks I'm insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.