how often...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you/did you offer solids to an almost 8 month old?

Right now I am offering once a day in conjunction with our evening meal, although we have been known to skip or even more rarely, offer at lunch time as well. Some days he eats everything and looks around for more, but more often than not he's not really interested. Mostly he just nurses. I've had trouble finding foods he likes. So far pureed prunes, butternut squash, and plain yogurt are his favorite things, although we've tried a variety of other stuff too. Most of my friend with babes ds's age are much more mainstream and their babes have been getting solid food 3 times a day for months now. And of course our pediatrician thinks he should be eating more solids as well. I'm not going to force him if he doesn't want to eat. But I wonder if he would be more interested if I was more consistent/persistent with offering.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#2 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 PM

i'm wondering the same thing. i've been giving dd solids once a day on most days and she loves it. i'm actually worried more about giving her too much because i really hope to do extended breast feeding and i'm worried about interfering with that...but i don't know if i'm just being overly concerned? so, subbing to hear what others have to say!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#3 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 PM

I offer at every meal, so 3X a day and if he wants some when the bigger boys are eating a snack then I give him a few bites. He SCREAMS if he sees someone eating something and he doesn't get a bite. I actually have to have soemthing with me when we go to the grocery store or he FREAKS out with all the food around.

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#4 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM

That sounds just fine! Dd is offered usually 3x's day, if she happens to sleep through a meal then we skip that one. But she usually doesn't eat a lot. I find it easier to feed her food while trying to feed the rest of the kids!!

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#5 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 PM

There's no right or wrong way. Just follow baby's lead. If he isn't insisting on eating at every meal, you're fine. My oldest two boys weren't interested in eating solids at all at this age. My baby is the same age as yours, and he's really insistent on eating, which is actually really inconvenient for me. But, it makes him happy.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#6 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4ever View Post
But she usually doesn't eat a lot. I find it easier to feed her food while trying to feed the rest of the kids!!

:

My babe gets solids fairly frequently throughout the day. Its not always a "meal" though, often it can just be a couple of cheerios, or a rice cracker. Now that she is crawling proficiently she refuses to go in her exersaucer, so if I need her "contained" so I can tend to the other kids I have to put her in her highchair. The only way she will stay happy is if I feed her.

I do find that she eats more earlier in the day. Maybe try offering solids at breakfast or lunch and see if he is more interested?

But overall, I wouldn't worry about it - he will eat when he is ready.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#7 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 AM

mine eats something at every meal because otherwise i cannot eat. she screams and grabs my food and shoves it in her mouth. she does't eat what i would consider a meal though. she sucks on some broccoli, or eats some beans, blueberries, etc.

my first didn't care as much about food and was not eating 3 x a day until after 12 months old.
#8 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM

I offer DD (10 months) food at every meal. I want her to associate mealtime with familytime. I nurse her before every meal though. That way I ensure she has nursed what she wants and then she has solids. She's just now, in the past 2 weeks, really taken to solids. Before that, it was really just for fun with her. Now, she looks forward to mealtimes. I also nurse her after she has solids to help wash down her meal! I haven't noticed a reduction in her nursing either. If there's ever a day where I feel like she isn't nursing enough, then I just offer a little bit of solids and let her make up in the nursing. Like you, I don't want her to wean early, so that's why I always offer the breast first. Even when she wants a snack, always breast first. If there's room left, then she obviously has some room/want for solids.
#9 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'm going to start offering at lunch as well as at dinner time, even if it's just a cracker to mush on. He just started those last week and really likes them.

#10 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 PM

my dd has the same birthday as your ds she is the same way...when i first started offering her solids, she was all about them....now, i'm lucky if she'll eat a few bites and i offer 2X per day...i find that she really wants to self feed but i am too chicken to do blw....so i give her avocado, banana, happy baby puffs, and egg yolks that she can try to pick up. I don't think she likes the purees, maybe if you try to let your ds "play" with the food on his tray he may enjoy it more?

J- mama to E (8/08) and C (11/10)

#11 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM

I think we were still once a day, in the morning at that age (either a fruit, veggie or yogurt). We started second meal (lunchtime) between 8 and 9 months, and added third meal (dinnertime) around 10 months. One of those still ocassionally gets skipped if we are having a really crazy day.
#12 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelynmia'smom View Post
my dd has the same birthday as your ds she is the same way...when i first started offering her solids, she was all about them....now, i'm lucky if she'll eat a few bites and i offer 2X per day...i find that she really wants to self feed but i am too chicken to do blw....so i give her avocado, banana, happy baby puffs, and egg yolks that she can try to pick up. I don't think she likes the purees, maybe if you try to let your ds "play" with the food on his tray he may enjoy it more?
we've been letting him play more lately, that's all he seems interested in a lot of the time. he's not real crazy about the purees either, but he doesn't know what to do with the bites of food he gets in his mouth when he selffeeds. like tonight he was all about nawing on some melon, but wouldn't swallow the pieces he bit off.

#13 of 13 Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Have you read/heard about babyled feeding? DD nursed and then sat with us while we ate our meals. I put fork-smushed and cut up chunks of whatever we were having in front of her. Sometimes she ate. Sometimes she smushed it in her hair. But, I never had to worry if she was getting enough or too much.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page