Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life With a Baby (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/)
-   -   when did you start giving LO water? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/32-life-baby/1076900-when-did-you-start-giving-lo-water.html)

amberg007 04-27-2009 11:56 PM

with the current heat wave we're having (Philly), I have been wondering about this. I know that BM provides enough for hydration but for how long? Also, how much do you give and how often? do you all use bottled or filtered water? I can't imagine giving even filtered tap water. Maybe I am just over-precautious..

dmarina 04-28-2009 12:24 AM

i started giving sips of water with solids. that's the only time DS ever wants it. i give filtered tap because most water is sold in bpa-containing bottles, but i live in seattle that supposedly has some of the best tap water in the country.

mama2peyton 04-28-2009 01:57 AM

hi

claddaghmom 04-28-2009 03:30 AM

DD has wanted water since she could first dive for it...about 3.5 months. I let her have sips when she wants.

~Charlie's~Angel~ 04-28-2009 08:49 AM

Jumping on the sips wagon. DS1 is 19 months and still only has sips here and there. I give him spring water, as you need a special VERY EXPENSIVE filter to get the floruide out of our tap water....

Super~Single~Mama 04-28-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarina View Post
i started giving sips of water with solids. that's the only time DS ever wants it. i give filtered tap because most water is sold in bpa-containing bottles, but i live in seattle that supposedly has some of the best tap water in the country.
Just had to comment on the Seattle tap water comment - If you see people drinking Kirkland Signature brand water (its sold at Costco) its actually bottled Seattle Tap water! I heard that a while back, and thought it was funny

momtob&t 04-28-2009 09:13 AM

My ydd is 7 months and has still not had water. not trying to hijack your thread, but why should they not have water with flouride?

~Charlie's~Angel~ 04-28-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtob&t View Post
My ydd is 7 months and has still not had water. not trying to hijack your thread, but why should they not have water with flouride?
There is much debate about INGESTING floruide, as apposed to using it topically on your teeth. Do a search in this thread or the health and healing thread using the word floruide to read about other members concerns. Or just google Danger of Floruide. You might be surprised by what you find.

tpintsch 04-28-2009 10:09 AM

I started giving her a sippie cup with ice water in it (filtered) when she started eating solids. I used to give her a a wet washcloth to suck on in the beggining and she loved it so much I moved her over to a sippie cup with the soft nipple. She started at about 7 months. But she loves her cup, esp for car rides when its hot and she gets thirsty. No more screaming in the car, its great!

holothuroidea 04-28-2009 11:15 AM

At around 4 months, she would grab my water glass while I was drinking and pull it to her lips. So, every time she did that she'd take a sip.

Now (8 months) she has a sippy cup that she insists on having with her at all times. She drinks probably 2-4 oz a day.

We buy bottled spring water from the grocery store. It's not clear plastic, so no BPA. Our tap water does not smell drinkable to me. I don't even cook with it.

sapphire_chan 04-28-2009 11:31 AM

When she started grabbing our cups and trying to drink. Her skill at drinking is directly proportional to how thirsty she is. If she's just wanting to play with the cup and have a little water, she lets it mostly dribble down her front and tries to turn the cup over to chew the bottom. When she's wanting to drink she takes tons of tiny sips (the most she's had at one time is about half an ounce) and only spills when she tries to control an adult-size cup herself.

She seems to be pretty good about regulating intake, since she's stopped nursing to try to drink some of my water and also stopped drinking water to ask to nurse.

sapphire_chan 04-28-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
Just had to comment on the Seattle tap water comment - If you see people drinking Kirkland Signature brand water (its sold at Costco) its actually bottled Seattle Tap water! I heard that a while back, and thought it was funny
That whole area has really nice tasting water, I grew up in PDX which is fed from the Bullrun aquifer. I can't drink tap water anywhere else unless it is ice cold.

For the longest time, I didn't get why anyone would bother with bottled water since it tasted the same as the stuff from the tap.

NaturalMama311 04-28-2009 11:56 AM

We've been giving DD sips of water for a while and just recently introduced a sippy cup now that she is having solids. We're having the same heat wave down here in B-more and she's been much more interested in her sippy cup with the heat.

At first she didn't really have much interest in drinking from the cup, more just playing with it in her high chair. But the past few days I've been putting some cold, filtered water in it after we come in from the heat, Yesterday we went out for a walk and when I gave her the sippy cup I could actually hear her gulping it. I read they should have no more than 2 ounces a day though.

rachel7628 04-28-2009 03:51 PM

We introduced a sippy cup of water with dinner when she was about 7 months old. Now at 10.5 months, I've just started letting her have the sippy of water outside of meal times. She loves loves loves water, though. Once she figured out what was coming out of that cup, she got really into it.

Sunshine4004 04-28-2009 04:05 PM

Around 5-6 months when he started eating solids. DS drinks his water from a sippy cup. He sips during meals and during the day I offer it to him when I take a drink...some times he gulps it down and other times he pushes it away. I just let him decide how much he wants. We give him tap water that has been through a Brita filter.

Sunshine4004 04-28-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post
I read they should have no more than 2 ounces a day though.
Until what age does this apply? I never heard this or have been told this by my pediatrician. DS drinks 20-24 ounces of EBM/Formula mix along with water. I am unsure exactly how much water he gets but I am pretty sure it totals more than 2 ounces in 24 hours.

~Charlie's~Angel~ 04-28-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
Until what age does this apply? I never heard this or have been told this by my pediatrician. DS drinks 20-24 ounces of EBM/Formula mix along with water. I am unsure exactly how much water he gets but I am pretty sure it totals more than 2 ounces in 24 hours.
I think naturalmama meant staight water, because water dilutes things you dont want it to dilute (cant remember what) when it is drank by itself. But when used to mix formula, thats totally different.

~Charlie's~Angel~ 04-28-2009 04:12 PM

I had to FF DS1 after 4 months, and I would use spring water to mix his formula. I would by gallons of it from Sams club. Was not that bad cost wise, very little waste, and BPA free plastic. (And just think, im not even crunchy......)

Sunshine4004 04-28-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
I think naturalmama meant staight water, because water dilutes things you dont want it to dilute (cant remember what) when it is drank by itself. But when used to mix formula, thats totally different.
DS gets straight water, besides his bottles. He loves to drink water from his sippy cup. I am now concerned because he does drink more than 2 ounces in a day.

nudhistbudhist 04-28-2009 05:24 PM

we let DS lead. He started drinking out of my cup at 3.5 mo, and loves water. i let him have as much as he likes, whenever he wants it. He will point to a glass if he is thirsty. He also enjoys herbal teas and broth in a mug. we dont use sippy cups

rachel7628 04-28-2009 06:08 PM

I think the 2 ounce recommendation is probably for babies who are still getting BM or formula exclusively - no solids. Once solids enter the picture, though, I think those types of recommendations no longer apply and you can follow your baby's lead. As long as she's growing and you're not giving water in place of BM/formula/food, I don't think it matters how much water the baby is drinking.

organicmidwestmama 04-28-2009 06:11 PM

my baby is 5 months and has tried tiny sips of water cause i thought it might feel good on LOs gums. baby also likes a spoon dipped in cold water to play with.

NaturalMama311 04-28-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4004 View Post
Basically you don't want them drinking tons of water and getting full from water and then not wanting to nurse or take a bottle.

olien 04-28-2009 11:25 PM

We took our LO on a cruise when he just turned 6mo & for some reason he kept grabbing at our water glasses out on deck constantly - never did it at home. Well, that was the beginning of our sons love of water he would be happy to only consume water all day - and he still only gets it out of a real glass/cup

AirMiami 04-29-2009 09:01 AM

I gave my 3 month old ice chips to suck on (I was holding them of course!) on a very long, hot car ride with no AC recently. Normally I wouldn't have done that, but I didn't know the AC was broken and we were stuck in the car for 12 hours. It was more to cool her off than to give her hydration, but I figured it would help more than it would hurt in that situation.