So.tired.of.the.rocking.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I am just totally wiped out from 5 days of teething (read:screaming "MAMA" "MAMA" all day long, won't be put down, etc..) and 4 nights of not sleeping (not the usual awake every hour not sleeping, but literally tossing and turning all night, up crying for at least an hour in the middle of the night) and the fact that DH is out of town on business... I think I've just reached my limit............

I am so sick of rocking DS to sleep. It takes anywhere from 20 minutes-an hour sometimes, and he fights it.

Please don't tell me "just stop worrying about when he sleeps and then it will be ok" because it won't. If he is tired, and does not sleep, he will cry and fuss and be miserable until he has a nap.

And I need that time to myself without a 23+ pound child in my arms so that I can eat and use the bathroom.

I have done some reading about crying-in-arms..... How do you all feel about this? I would really like it if DS would just nurse to sleep in bed for naps, instead of having to be rocked FOREVER. He cries when I rock him anyway, so how different would it be if I lay in bed with him when he is tired (eye-rubbing, fussing, etc.) and try to get him to nurse to sleep? I know there will be crying.. he almost always cries when he is being put to sleep.

I am at the end of my rope.. welll.. far past the end. I can't keep rocking him anymore. I'm done.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 PM

I don't have much practical advice to give you, it's just that when I read the "need to go to the bathroom and eat without a 23-pound child in my arms" I had to reply to at least offer sympathy as I have been there so I know exactly what you're talking about.

If you lie down with him to nurse, even if he's fussing, at least you'll be lying down. Are you giving him anything for teething pain, that is, tylenol or motrin? Does white noise help?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempd View Post
I don't have much practical advice to give you, it's just that when I read the "need to go to the bathroom and eat without a 23-pound child in my arms" I had to reply to at least offer sympathy as I have been there so I know exactly what you're talking about.

If you lie down with him to nurse, even if he's fussing, at least you'll be lying down. Are you giving him anything for teething pain, that is, tylenol or motrin? Does white noise help?
I have been alternating with tylenol and motrin. And homeopathic teething tablets. I went out yesterday and bought a fan for white noise.. thought it might help him sleep better last night... nope.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 04-28-2009, 03:48 PM

I hope my baby never teeths. Yup, I said it. I hope he never gets teeth.

I have no advice, but wanted to be sympathetic! I too have trouble getting time to myself to eat and use the bathroom - but I recently started going to yoga once/week by myself which is amazing and chills me out a bit.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM

I just got thru the same thing... 24 lbs though he had 4 teeth at once, and it was HELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! but, though it only passed 3 days ago, it already feels so distant and long ago... must have been the sleep deprivation I just had to keep reminding myself that if he is that upset, he must be in soooo much pain, because he is usually happy. also we took lots of warm baths together... it was the only thing that gave us both some much needed quiet time. BTW I dont give my son tylenol because the sugar makes things bad for him... he changes from being in pain to being hyper in pain, which is WAAAAAY worse. Also, some babies like mine prefer to suck on a warm wash cloth as opposed to something cold. I also stayed in and watched movies and cuddled with him until it passed. I'm ok with doing nuthin, including somthing simple like brushing my hair, if he is being needy.

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Oh mama, not fun. I threaten nap times and sleep times every day. Some days are easier than others. My DS is 7 months old and never slept well. He cries in my arms (or dads) every time just before he sleeps.
However, I found some things that will work depending on the day... Wen he starts rubbing his eyes i sit him in the stroller with something soft to fumble and chew on, like a little blanket doll that's good for theeting too, make sure he is in the shade and wiggle my bamboo chime on the tree. If it's a bad day I have to either take him for a stroll around the block or get away with rocking the stroller back and forward but standing behind the stroller. (So he doesn't see me...) On some days a pacifier works, others he spits it out. Some days i carry him on my back in a Mai Tai till' he sleeps. I never know.
Hylands Teething tablets work well for us. Good luck with that, I tell myself there is a limited number on teeth he can get, there is an end in sight.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Of course crying in your arms is different from crying it out alone! You're there, offering support. I also have one of those kids who always cry when going to sleep (in my arms, in the rocking chair). Laying down to nurse to sleep sounds like a great alternative.

I have found that when things come to a head with my kids (which it sounds like they are for you) once I decide something is no longer an option (like rocking) it makes it much easier to transition to the next option or solution.

I was just reading The Fussy Baby Book the other day (Dr. Sears) and I liked when he said "If it makes you resentful, change it". This is obviously easier said than done, but maybe it will give you some encouragement.

AP is so exhausting at times, but you're doing a wonderful thing for DS. Hugs again...

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 PM

If you're done, then you're done- no help for it, and that's fine. Something needs to change, for you and possibly for him as well.

We've had many stages - bouncing to sleep, rocking, bum patting, singing while rocking and bum patting, currently we're in the nursing to sleep but if she's overtired we watch TV in the rocking chair until she falls asleep (no idea why that works, but if she won't nurse and will just scream no matter what I do, I find the picture of the TV combined with the motion of the rocking chair helps her go- doesn't even matter whats on. We watch a lot of cooking shows )

Most of these stages were a forced transition because I couldn't bounce/rock/pat/sing one more second without getting mad and i find the change is good for her, too, because then she's not picking up my irritation.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM

My LO is only 8 weeks old so we're not having the teething problem (I so don't look forward to that!). But she fights sleep, always has. She sleeps great once she goes to sleep, but never wants to go to sleep. We have to change up our system every week or so because of the frustration... mine probably more than hers. I find when I get to my giving up point things tend to get better. I stop trying so hard and it helps when I'm not so frustrated.

I do feel, sometimes, like she cries it out. But she cries it out in my arms with me either rocking her or laying down with her. Not a fun way to go to sleep, but we've yet to find a system that doesn't involve her crying. She will not nurse to sleep. I wish she would, I try it every night. She will latch on and settle down for a moment, but once the milk lets down she'll start crying again. She doesn't like to eat unless she's hungry. I guess it's a good thing that she doesn't eat for comfort, but sometimes it sure would make my job easier!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 04-28-2009, 10:51 PM

I have no advice because we're living this too. It takes me 40 minutes to get her to sleep for 20, then repeat...or if she goes to sleep and stays asleep after that 40 minute marathon, she'll be restless all night long.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 AM

I could have written your post.
DH is away on business and my nine-month-old is whiny and needy all day long – I can't put him down for a second without him screaming. No more showers – he'll no longer play happily on the bath mat. I have to do laundry, cook or brush my teeth with him on my hip.
He was up three times last night – once for more than two hours.
I'm tired and grumpy. He's tired and grumpy. Tylenol and Motrin make so difference although he's cutting two teeth at the moment. I'm wondering if he's having a growth spurt or about to make some developmental leap.
Whatever it is, I hope it passes soon...

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

User Tag List