2003-Nov./Dec. Mamas and Babies (New Thread) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 389 Old 04-21-2004, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been using any perfume or body spray - same deoderant and body wash as before - I haven't changed laundry detergent either. Today I was a bit more stubborn than she was and I refused to give her a bottle. She kept latching on and the popping off (OMG that hurts!) but after a couple of hours she finally decided that mom meant business so she ate - then about an hour later she ate again and crashed out. I hate to do that to her, but some times Ijust don't have anything pumped and I don't really want to drag it all out so I can give her a bottle. No more bottles for a while - if I have to pump I'll freeze it.

Hmmm, does bah, bah, bah count as talking......sounds like talking to me (of course I've spent the past 3 years in the constant company of a toddler) Jessica has this growling noise she makes when she knows her daddy is around. When he's home, he growls and she turns her head to find him - so now every time she hears him come home, she starts growling :LOL it's too cute!

Christy~ Thanks for the "review" on the baby einstein. I've been looking at them, but didn't know if the wee one would like them or not. I think I'll get one and try it out.
#302 of 389 Old 04-21-2004, 08:59 PM

My g-ma gave me a couple of the dvds. We don't have a player...I think I gave them to St. Vinnie's. I personally have a TV aversion, and we have something of an addiction problem in the house, so I try HARD to keep the box off. When it's on, Meryem's glued to the thing, craning her neck if I am trying to butt in and talk to her...

Here's a bad mommy moment for you all to judge. I made couscous tonight--we eat it the traditional way with spoons out of a communal dish, with meat and veggies piled on top...well, dh took all the meat off the bones, and I gave Meryem a spoon, then a bone to play with. She totally knew what to do, and put it straight into her mouth and sucked on it very enthusiastically! Even got a couple grains of couscous in her mouth and "chewed" until they were gone. Then she got mad, and I nursed her to sleep. Bad mommy feeds 4 mo lamb bone!:LOL
#303 of 389 Old 04-21-2004, 09:03 PM

My ds loves the Baby Einstein videos. Actually, he only likes the Baby Mozart one. For some reason the puppets in the Baby Beethoven one scare him. I try to use it sparingly (I feel guilty), but sometimes its the only way dinner gets made around here. Just be prepared ... if your dc is anything like my ds, s/he will go into tv coma. Its sorta scary, actually.
#304 of 389 Old 04-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Baby Einstein???? : Whats that? You ladies must forgive my ignorance - here in South Africa we haven't got them...
#305 of 389 Old 04-22-2004, 03:40 PM

Raven
www.babyeinstein.com

Cute baby videos.
#306 of 389 Old 04-22-2004, 07:56 PM

Happy Earth Day!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#307 of 389 Old 04-22-2004, 11:22 PM

Angelica went to her check up today.
she weighs 12lbs 12oz and she is 1 foot 11 3/4 in tall,
Jonathan did very well too. He was so excited to be there
He is a whopping 40lbs and 3 feet 2 in tall.

And her dr LOVED her cloth diaper. It was an angelwraps. yellow with butterflies
#308 of 389 Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM

whoa this is different, lol. looks really professional, lol.

sage rolled totally over lastnight. finally! she went from her belly to her back and then she giggled for a couple of minutes afterward. it was so cute. she was so proud of herself.

and DP just brought in some potatoes that he grew all by himself! we are just full of pride in this house today, lol.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#309 of 389 Old 04-26-2004, 03:01 PM

Very cool Christy!!!

I gave Angel Oatmeal cereal for the first time last night.
She liked it too. Today I am gonna pump a little so I can put milk in her cereal tonight.
#310 of 389 Old 04-26-2004, 07:02 PM

Hello mommies,

how many of you have started your babies on solids? My son is 17 weeks old and Ped is saying we can delay his solid intake for another few weeks. We want to start rice cereal soon. What are your thoughts? He is 95% Bfed and takes some formula certain times. Please share your thoughts and experiences.

It is very hot today here at my place.
#311 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 AM

Josh gave Sage her first solid food tonight. She gobbled down that oatmeal and got fussy when he took too long to get the spoon in her mouth :LOL It was really thin, though, like 70%breastmilk and 30%oatmeal. I wanted to wait awhile longer to give her solids, but she woke me up 5 times lastnight to eat so i figured we should at least try the solids and see if that keeps her tummy full. She ate from 8-8:30pm, then i bf her from 8:30-8:45, and she zonked out, lol.

hey tammi, I saw that you gave angel oatmeal yesterday...so what kind of poop can i expect from sage tomorrow, LOL?

well everyone have a good night and we'll see you tomorrow.

#312 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 12:49 AM

Christy
She had 2 small poops today and both were stuck to her bum. Dark and I think a little smellier than usual. Couldnt smell it either time before the diaper came off but it was different than it used to be.
About the stuck part- I was wondering if she had it in there longer than she should have and maybe thats why it was stuck there. Dont think of me as bad, I normally change her about every hour or so so her bum doesnt get red but i'm wondering to myself if she pooped right after I changed her and i didnt know cause i didnt smell it.
She enjoyed her cereal again this evening.
I dont think it helps them sleep better and so far Angel has proven me correct.

gokiamma~
I'm not a fan of rice since it can cause constipation. My Dr said it was okay to start with oatmeal. All have their own opinion though and maybe it has to do with Angelica's age (5 months today)
I started my last 2 kids by 3 months so I dont think 17 weeks is a bad age.
#313 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 12:50 AM

what beach are you on Christy????
#314 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

gokiamma~I feel the same as Tammi does about rice. My now 3 yo had horrible constipation issues once we started giving her rice cereal. I will start Jessica on Oatmeal when we decide to do that. Oh, and it was blinkin' hot here today too. I'm in Madera, just north of Fresno - it was above 90 this afternoon, and it felt hotter than that. I'm going to take the girls to Monterey tomorrow to try to escape some of the heat - hopefully it won't be as warm there. My luck they will have record heat tomorrow :LOL

Jessica is still gaining well, very happy and contented after she bfs and is still a super sleeper so I'm not going to start the solids just yet. Danielle started at 4 months and I'm afraid of going through the same issues with Jessica that I went through with Danielle. I want to wait at least another month or so. I'll take the cue from Jesi - she doesn't show much interest in my food yet, once she does, maybe I'll start then.
#315 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 01:42 PM

We don't do rice cereal because I won't make my baby eat things that I think taste yucky...I know, I know, I should let her decide for herself. But we have begun with oatmeal too, and this has gone well.

Meryem had her 4 mo check today. She's 24" and 12-8. Growing right along on her own odd little curve. 45th for length, 25th for weight, 75th for head size. Good 'nuff for me.

I'm thinking sweet potatoes after oatmeal. I have a friend who's been loving the Super Baby Food Book. She cooks up her baby food weekly and freezes. Works well for her. I'm not very organized...

I've been drinking Mothers Milk tea and adding extra fenugreek, but I can't seem to get over the hump of 2 oz per pumping except on rare AMs when she sleeps more and feeds less at night...? Suggestions? I don't have time to pump while I am at work, and pumping between feedings is really hard when feedings are every 2-3 hours. Do I just need more water? Do I need more sleep? Would anyone be surprised if it were a sleep issue?
#316 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 02:01 PM

1jooj
i always had luck when i pumped while nursing. have you tried that?

Angelica finally rolled over from her back to belly then about 5 min later from her belly to back.
I've been making sure she gets floor time everyday so she could teach herself,
#317 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
what is this "quick reply" thing? i haven't figured this new board out yet. please forgive any typo. typing left handed NAK.

my wee one is 5 months on thursday and as of last week has mastered sitting up by herself. she loves it. she still hasn't rolled over, but she's not keen on tummy time so i don't push it.

haven't started solids yet. i'm trying to hold off til 6 mo. she acts kinda interested, but she's not doing too much grabbing of toys or my food yet. i skipped cereal mush with dd1 and probably will this time around, too. i think we might start w/ avocado. we'll see. dd1 was unusual in that she didn't want to be fed, but wanted to do it herself w/ finger foods. this one might be different.

i had to go for a checkup a couple of weeks ago (the 11th i think) and she was 17lbs w/ clothes on. i'm sure she's bigger now. she's a biggie size.

well, this left handed typing is for the birds so off i sign...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#318 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 PM

Iris is VERY interested in solids now... Grabs my food from plate or hand and stuffs it in her mouth! So, I have been giving her fruit to suck on, a bit of sweet potato and a bit of white potato, mostly from my finger, though she loves spoons! When I have added my milk to something, I just squirt it in.

I was going to wait until 6 months, but she didn't want to... I am going really slow though, tiny bits satisfy her curiosity.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#319 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 PM

No solids yet for us, but Brendan is cutting his first tooth! I can't believe it. The poor guy is miserable. Got some teething tablets finally and we'll see. The ped's office said to give him Motrin to help him sleep (as opposed to Tylenol) because it lasts longer.

Hoping for a better night's sleep tonight....

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#320 of 389 Old 04-27-2004, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Deb~have you tried the Hyland's teething tablets? Are those the tablets you are referring to in your post? Those worked wonders when my now 3 yo was teething.

I took the girls to the beach today - 2 hour drive to get there, and I did it by myself. It wasn't as difficult as I had expected. Jessica was mesmerized by the waves, she just kept watching them, and when I put her feet in the water, she didn't pull them up like I had expected, she just stood there looking at the water. She's definitely a California baby :LOL We had a great time today - it was girls day out

I'm starting to consider giving Jessica a bit of cereal. She woke up twice last night (I jinxed myself by saying she was sleeping well) and today she kept grabbing at my plate at lunch. Maybe I'll try a bit tonight and see how she does.
#321 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 12:36 AM

Hello,

Im new to this thread. I have a little boy, born on 12th Nov 03.

He has been on solids for a few weeks now. I wanted to delay it as long as I could, but he was basically mesmerised by everything I ate and grabbed for everything on my plate. He loves his two meals a day!

Hope to chat to u soon.

Nicholette
#322 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome to our little patch of MDC Nicholette! My dd was born Nov. 12th too - but I already told you that in your Pleased to Meet you thread, didn't I? It's great we are getting so many boys added to our bunch of girls here
#323 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 04:23 PM

Hi Nicholette ~Welcome

Someone could've warned me about all the poop stains i will be sunning out now tha i have started cereal.
Luckily i have a small roof right ouside my bathroom window so i dont actually have to go out side and find somewhere to put this stuff.
angelica had 1-2 oz from a bottle yesterday. she did ood with it.
today i shared her my popscicle, an orange one. she loved it
#324 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

OK, Jessica is ready for some "real" food. She woke me up 3 times last night - and today she got hold of my french fry at lunch. I had her on my lap and was trying to get the other two settled and when I looked at Jesi, there she was, just suckin on the fry. Seemed like she enjoyed it, and it made her mad when I took it away - didn't want her to break off a piece and choke. It looked like she sucked the insides right out of it :LOL I'll probably break out some oatmeal tonight before bed.

Tammi ~ I'm always sunning stains anyway so the change won't do much. It's when she starts eating the colorful vegi's that I'm really dreading.
#325 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 05:32 PM

i live on Mexico Beach, which is an hour east of Panama City FL. we took sage to the beach yesterday and she liked it except that it was wayyy too windy. i have a couple of pictures but i haven't uploaded them yet. she liked the water on her toes, but i don't hink she liked the sand getting swept away under her feet, lol.

and she got a taste of a sour pickle, LOL. she grabbed it and put it in her mouth and made the funniest sour face i've ever seen!

#326 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 05:37 PM

That is so cute Sherri~
Christy~
Shawn used to like to taste pickle juice so he would make the sour face.
I have to show you all a pic of him from the wedding we went to. he looked so handsome!
I upload after the babe is happy
#327 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 06:01 PM

#328 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I've said it before Tammi~ You've got some gorgeous kids there. Shawn looks quite a bit like you I think - and I see a bit of him in Jonathan and Angelica too. Almost 16 - at least I'm here in CA so I don't have to watch out on the roads
#329 of 389 Old 04-28-2004, 11:51 PM

Ok. I'm having a HUGE daily struggle with naps. Am I the only one? (Please say it ain't so, and if it is, please send some nap vibes my way! I'm desperate!)

In all honesty, Henry hasn't been a good napper since he was about 6 weeks old (right around the holidays). At that time he would basically not nap for a day or two, and then he'd catch up by sleeping all day on the third day. I could more or less live with this pattern and didn't do much to try to change it since he was thriving, seemed content, and the per day "required" sleep was averaging out over the course of a week.

However, he gradually shortened his napping and now we are at a point where he rarely naps for longer than 40-45 minutes at a time (and NOTHING gets him back to sleep -- I've tried nursing, slinging, rubbing, singing, rocking, etc.), and I'm lucky if I can get more than 2-3 of those short naps in per day. And he's cranky a lot b/c he's tired. He does usually sleep 10-11 hours at night, waking to nurse (I have no idea how many times, but I'm guessing 2-5 times, but usually only 1 of those is for a "real" meal), but overall, I really believe he isn't getting enough sleep.

I don't know what to do to make him nap longer and/or more frequently. I've read and tried to implement the No Cry Sleep Solution but I just can't seem to make it work. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My back is aching from slinging him so much to try to get him to nap (lately, the only way he'll go to sleep -- I swear he's the only bf baby I know who doesn't like to nurse to sleep).

TIA!
#330 of 389 Old 04-29-2004, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

First off Amy ~ a non sleeping baby means a non sleeping mama. I feel your pain. Jessica is a pretty good napper, but Danielle, my now 3 yo stopped napping all together by around 15 months. She was a "power napper" meaning she took 2 or 3 little 20-40 minute naps a day. Then she was up 4-5 times a night. I never did find anything that worked for her. When Jessica is doing her "I'm fussing because I'm tired but no way am I going to go to sleep" bit, I put her in the swing and usually she's out within a few minutes. If that doesn't work, then a car ride usually does. I hope you find something that works for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page