2003-Nov./Dec. Mamas and Babies (New Thread) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 389 Old 01-25-2004, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow--so much to think about since I was last on...

Our acne seems to be heading striaght into cradle cap. At least I know it really is plain acne. Dh was starting to get to me with his worries. I found that a washcloth with oil (I just used the Burts Bees oil I got as a gift) rubbed over everything--head, neck, cheeks, etc.--followed by a different washcloth lathered up with baby bath, by a clean washcloth with water, really helped to descale and get things looking better. Keeping her cooler (i.e., not too many layers of clothing) also helps a lot.

I am giving Vit D when I remember. I have seen so little sun in the past month, I should probably be taking it too. Between the getting out very little and being so covered up when we do get out of the house, it seems sensible to me.

I am going to try to pay better attention to what I eat from now on...no diets, but no more tons o' chocolate, either.

Oh--and beanma, around here, schools have been closing due to norolvirus outbreaks (sp?). It comes on suddenly with vomiting. They showed on the news that local schools actually had to stock puke pails at the ready in the classrooms. So they closed and bleached everything. Yuck.

Meryem's eyes seem clearer today. I hope they are opening. I am really enjoying the good nights with her, even though it means I get NOTHING done, ever ever, during the day. I have no idea how I am going to pull off getting back to work. She is finally starting to smile socially. I have been waiting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 389 Old 01-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Sage has been chit-chatterring the past couple of days. it's so cute. every time she does it, i ask DP, "did you hear that?!" like he isn't sitting right there with us, LOL. she's such a cutie. she really acts/looks like she's trying to talk, but at 6 weeks, i think it's a bit premature to hope to hear "mama" anytime soon, LOL.

No one said anything to me about vitamin D. Not even MIL, and she's a baby nurse. Her crib is by the window, so she gets sun when she naps in the afternoon. it's also been warmer here, so we've been less bundled up when we go out. I can't beleive no one said anything to me about that.

UGH! i have my 6week PP check up *AND* my yearly pap smear tomorow, . yuck. so i'm not looking forward to that at all. plus i need to decide if i'm going back to work in 2 weeks. I'm supposed to go back the 2nd week of february, but i just don't know if i can. I left sage alone with josh for 2.5 hours and she screamed the whole time...I don't know how he will be able to handle it if she does that for 8 hours straight, and i don't know how sage is going to handle being detached from me for that long.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#63 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas!

We almost fell to the third page. guess we are all so wrapped up in our little bundles that we don't get to the computer much.

Jessica has been "talking" so much today. She sits there and just ooos and ahhs, it's so cute. And she does it pretty loud too. Its funny because since she doesn't cry much, her "talking" sounds a whole lot like her crying so every time she starts in, dh and I come running because we think she's having a fit. I'm starting to be able to differentiate between the two so I don't jump every time.

Christy, I feel for you girl. I remember when I had to go back to work after dd1 was born, that was SO hard. Of course if she isn't going to let you go, that's a good excuse to stay with her right?

I think Jesi's going through another growth spurt. She nursed like crazy today, and my boobs weren't able to keep up with her. Tomorow I'll probably be engorged beyond belief - I really hate when that happens. All in all I think we are doing pretty good, now if I could just figure out how to deal with Danielle's jealousy issues like would be perfect.
#64 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Jessica has been "talking" so much
Angel took her first phone call the other day. She listened while my sister talked to her. She was smiling, make a couple coo sounds and a quick laugh.
Quote:
her "talking" sounds a whole lot like her crying so every time she starts in, dh and I come running because we think she's having a fit.
Jonathan was exactly like that. I was fooled by it every time!

Correction:
Angelica has now gotten worse in the evenings. I guess the good evenings was the calm before the storm.
For 2 nights now she has been very loud in her cry and will only be happy with me! When she realizes that Daddy is holding her she freaks out.
Yesterday I was talking to her on the changing table and she was happy. DH put his head beside me and talked to her and she cried....
I hope this doesnt last to long.
Angelica has had a rash in her neck rolls for as long as I can remember. I had thought maybe from milk dribbling down there or maybe heat. My mom suggested a yeast infection. I had been trying to wipe it often hoping it would get better plus it smells.
I made an appt for her on Friday to see the dr but the night before last I started to put lotrimin on her neck(good for yeasy infection) and yesterday I got my baby greens wipe solution(has tea tree oil in it) so I was using that when I cleaned her neck.
I dont know which one worked but it's clearing up nicely from a nice red color to light pink and she hasn't had that yucky smell either.
I have to read a magazine with Jonathan.
#65 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 02:49 PM

HELP!

We are officially in colic hell right now. I am attached to him 24/7. I have done everything I can think of and the only thing that really works is slinging him all day. It makes me kind of batty and tired.

I had one of those massive mamma meltdowns last night. I need a break.

My friend (who lost her baby) is coming over today to hold Leland so I can shower and clean. I hope it helps.

I am reading the thread but it is so hard to post while burping the baby. I got a Hub-a-bub sling this week and it seems to be helping so much. I am finally getting a handle on my life. I love this sling and it is so comfortable. Although, people have asked the dumbest questions about it. One person asked if he could breath like that. Ya think so?

On top of everything Nick broke his collar bone last Friday. The car door hit his collar bone just right and he has a fracture.

Ugh, could it get any harder than this?

Please send me some good positive vibes, I need them.

Jenny
#66 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Jenny, it will get better! It will! I hope the "holding" visit is helpful to both of you.

Meryem is a different baby all of a sudden. Her acne's almost gone, which is great because I was feeling like a bad mom. She is settling into a routine which includes full-length daytime naps! Yee-haw! NOT in the sling! Woo-Hoo! Big brother gets a little more attention, and more books this way.

She is also now interacting with any smiling face. Soooo wonderful. She only "talks" when complaining so far. Sticks her lip out and really complains.:LOL

WW--what did the neck rash smell like? My sister has a toddler who's had yeast forever, and I suggested tto to her as well.
#67 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Jenny~
Do you wrap him up snug in a blanket?
That used to comfort Jonathan a lot as a baby and it does for angelica too.
I'm snding you those vibes...... Did you get them?

1jooj~
Her neck smell reminded me of a peed dirty diaper. At first I kept thinking it was her diaper that needed changing then got a good look at her neck. It was yucky looking and a lot of what looked like moisture there all the time. Cleaning it made the smell go away for a little while.
It has definitely gotten better though. Just wish I knew which was making it better.

You know, i forgot to add that angelica is a different baby during the day than she is in the evening. I ask her all the time if someone came in and took my good girl. She sleeps a lot during the day too and I know I should try and keep her up a little more so mabe the evening will be better but it gives me more time to care for Jonathan so I let her sleep.
#68 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 PM

WW~I had a yeasty thing going on under my belly when i was still pg. the MW gave me monistat topical cream, and it cleared right up. remember to wash your hands really well after you treat her neck b/c you don't want to spread it to your nipples or her mouth and cause thrush. That's what the mw told me, anyway.

i hope everyone's doing alright. sage kept me up til 4 am nursing.

gotta go, she's fussing!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#69 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Felix had a nurse-a-thon two days ago and today I've been engorged and spraying milk...

He's starting to smile a lot more and coo a lot too. He's got a really deep voice for a babe!

Must go to bed. I'm exhausted.
#70 of 389 Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

PL ~ Jessica did that a couple of days ago too, so I was engorged again, I really hate that. It was so bad that this morning when I was getting undressed for my shower, I took my bra off and was just dripping all over the place. DD2 thought it was hilarious so she ran to get me a "boob pad" (her special term for my breast pads) Of course this is the child who tells the world that Jessica doesn't drink from a bottle, she eats from the boob - imagine that being proclaimed at the top of a toddlers lungs in the middle of the grocery store I wanted to crawl under a rock.

Daddy held Jessica up in front of a mirror last night and she was smiling and talking to the baby she saw. It was the cutest thing. She was so excited that her arms and legs were flying around. I got the camera but as soon as I got it out, she stopped smiling - she keeps doing that to me!
#71 of 389 Old 01-29-2004, 01:27 AM

Jenny-Big s to you!

Dd1 has been puking all day fun.: So far everyone else is still fine.(We were so exited to go to the zoo today too-it warmed up to 38 today!!!Sooo nice!So we made our own zoo w/ toys in the front room.)

Eve has also been chatting up a storm lately,lots of funShe has been smiling and giggling since day one,like dd1 too-who was more of a sing/hummer since birth,she litterally sang herself to sleep even thru Eve's pregnancy-just remembering...

:::
#72 of 389 Old 01-29-2004, 11:58 AM

I and a couple of other family members have a recurring "problem" with a fungal thing called tinea versicolor. When I get pg, it gets much worse. My 1st pg, my ob prescribed a nystatin cream, which is really $$$. So, 2nd pg I bought FOOT SPRAY!!! which worked great and was easy to apply on my own shoulders and back...anyway, point is, even if it's not yeast, it could be something due to the "tropical" environment there (not that my back or chest are in any way tropical :LOL). I am glad it's clearing up.

I am also glad Meryem's acne is normal now. Can I say that enough? She actually had blackheads on her chest and shoulders--just solid sebum crust. Gross.

Gearing up for a big weekend of parties...Yay! I even have a fancy holiday nursing dress to wear--lucky me!
#73 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 03:05 AM

We just got back from visiting a friend in the hospital who was in a very serious car accident. He's quite lucky to be alive.

Sage was so good today. she didn't cry at all (well, there was one time i couldn't get the boob out fast enough for her, LOL) and my friend was so happy that i brought her to see him, she really cheered him up. they were so sweet with each other, it was cute.

anyway, i gotta give DP control of the computer...he's such a junkie, LOL.

#74 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
omg, christy, didn't cry at all!!!! and i thought ellie was pretty mellow, but that's compared to her big sis. i don't know how old big sis was before she didn't cry at least once a day. think we've probably had one of those days by now since she'll be three in two weeks, but i couldn't swear to it...

sorry to hear about your friend. hope he'll be okay.

1jooj, is tinea versicolor that thing where it makes you look like you've lost pigment? i have vitiligo where i lose pigment, too. no good treatment for it, though.

well, we've got playgroup to go to this a.m., so i'm gonna try to go catch a shower before i stink up the joint any more...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#75 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
so i'm gonna try to go catch a shower before i stink up the joint any more...
:LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

Sounds like me
#76 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 11:53 AM

beanma--If you have dark skin, you lose pigment, if you have light skin, the spots are darker than your skin color.
#77 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 11:55 AM

1jooj~
What kinda skin does my ds have then?
He has 2 darker spots than his skin color and 1 lighter spot.
Maybe he's medium?

And I just got my shower so i'm not stinkin anymore!
#78 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 12:17 PM

:LOL

Quote:
What kinda skin does my ds have then?
My brother's spots are lighter, my sister's and mine are darker.

Hey--Meryem has a *real* cold now. You guys know any tricks for that?
#79 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
huh. i know a woman (pretty white like me :LOL ) who has some kinda thing that looks like vitiligo with lighter spots. i think it's what you're talking about, but not sure. they tested me to make sure i didn't have the fungal thing 'cause it can look very similar. i've got vitiligo, though the michael jackson disease (yeah, he wishes ).

poor meryem. hot steam from the shower can loosen it up and then you can use the bulb syringe to suck out the snot -- bleah. dd1 didn't have a cold til she was 8mo and so far we've been lucky with our new little sweetie. i was really afraid she was gonna pick up the family cold last week, but it seems to have bypassed her, thank goodness. well wishes for meryem!

well wishes for everybody else. i'm too lazy to go back and reread all the posts, but hope everybody's doing okay.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#80 of 389 Old 01-30-2004, 07:35 PM

Felix has a bit of a cold too. Looks like we will be sleeping sitting up tonight since he can't breathe very well lying down.

I love it when I am holding Felix so that his head is on my shoulder - and then Dh comes up behind me and starts talking to him. That little head pops right up, the eyebrows go up, he starts breathing faster and looking around until he sees his papa. So cute.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Christy.
#81 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 02:06 AM

NAK

thanks everyone for the well-wishes. he'll be ok, he just has to take it really easy when he gets to go home.

does anyone else have a funky schedule with baby's sleep? sage has been sleeping all day, then staying awake, cluster-nursing until about 4am. this has been going on for several days now. it doesn't bother me now b/c i can sleep during the day, but if/when i go back to work, i'm not going to be able to handle such a crazy sleep schedule. any advice?

I started charting 2 days ago. i hope i'm doing it right...i don't wanna get pg again for awhile, LOL! is anyone else charting too?

#82 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 11:49 AM

Christy, what I have found is that our routine is *fragile.* On a "normal" day, Meryem gets up with ds and me around 7. She nurses hourly until noonish (dozes here and there if anything), then takes a 3-4 hour nap. She gets up and is active for a couple hours, and then cluster nurses until 9. At night following a day like this, she usually nurses around 2:30 or 3, and perhaps a smaller snack around 5.

All it takes to turn it all upside-down is Grandma in the house, or an outing to a house with loud people/active kids--or someplace where we keep her in the carseat (she seems to have conditioned herself to sleep in it). Then-BANG. She sleeps all day and makes up for lost meals at night.

Have you had a very active household, or lots of outings? Of course, it's normal for this mix-up to happen, and I think Sage might be in the "classic" age for this to happen.

BTW, we have had an awful beginning to 2004 in WI with regrd to fatal traffic accidents. I think we're on course to break records. And this is with few really big snowstorms. I hope your friend recovers quickly. It's a scary thing. This week locally, a 5-day-old baby was ejected from his/her carseat in an accident. Survived (no one else was injured), but no current word on baby's condition. Poor mama.

Meryem's mucous is making her gag and lose her meals. It's all just out of reach of the bulb syringe, too. I gave her a super bath yesterday, and now she smells like puked bm. Which I must say smells TONS better than puked formula, but it still is not as nice as fresh clean baby.

Sorry to go on and on--but I was huffing my baby yesterday :LOL and I realized/remembered that one of the first things I did when she was born was take a huge sniff of her. Anyone else do this? I mean, she IS aromatherapy to me now of course, but I remember trying to inhale/absorb/whatever the smell of wet vernixy baby.
#83 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry to go on and on--but I was huffing my baby yesterday and I realized/remembered that one of the first things I did when she was born was take a huge sniff of her. Anyone else do this? I mean, she IS aromatherapy to me now of course, but I remember trying to inhale/absorb/whatever the smell of wet vernixy baby.
I'm always sniffing on Felix. His head, his sweet breath. Can't get enough!
#84 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 12:48 PM

Funny that vitiligo should come up. I thought our family was the only one who knew of such things (other than Michael's pretend association with it). It is genetic and a has really gone wild in our family. I have it on my leg, my mother has it in splotches everywhere and a streak in her hair. My sons (yet to see if Leland does) has it. In the same patterns on their legs and tummy. The tummy spot looks like South Africa. My dd, oddly enough, does not have it.

I think we finally figured out what was wrong with Leland (knock on wood). I took him to the ped, at the urging of my midwife, and it looks like he has severe acid reflux. The ped said it was a miracle he has gained weight at all. The ped was so nice and assured me it was nothing I was doing, eating, or taking that was hurting him. He was in so much pain the last few days, all he could do was cry. It made me want to weep for him. Please don't judge me, but we placed him on a few meds yesterday. I really researched the meds and I feel comfortable giving them to him.

What a different baby he is now. He is smiling and not throwing up everything. He is even nursing better and sleeping soundly laying down! The meds were worth their weight in gold.

In the end I was wearing him about six hours a day and I had cut almost everything from my diet. I was a little batty and continually getting weepier.He was crying at least four hours a day. Heart wrenching high piched screams. I *thought* I had seen it all, with him being my fourth. I really thought it was something I could manage. I felt like I have been through the wringer and back.

He is now sleeping soundly on his tummy, he smiled this moring and is finally got a soft tummy. He was as stiff as a board lately. He actually burps now and doesn't scream and throw up afterward.

On a good note he is now 10 lbs and 14 ounces, and 23 1/2 inches, what a big boy he is becoming.

I feel so much better. Thank you for all of the good vibes. Now, we might get back to some normalcy around here.

Jenny
#85 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 01:59 PM

So my mother slept over Thursday night. :
She had a nice time with the baby chatting to her and stuff. The evening comes and as usual my baby is more fussy. She was laying on a pillow next to my mother on the couch. I come in talking about how she's fussing(my mistake but I often complain to her when babe is fussing and wont give me a break) and this is what she had to say:
Tammi, You need to let her CIO!
I said why the hell would I want to do that! I told her she was crazy and I wasn't gonna let her just lay there and cry for no reason. If I was in the middle of changing ds or something like that she would have to fuss for a minute but I just cant let her cry for nothing. I ended it right there cause my motherthinks she knows best!
Friday in the car we're talking about her fussing again because she was getting upset everytime we stopped at a red light. My mother always tells me I should pump so I can have spare milk for when I need a break or want to go to the store alone.
The breaks not worth the time and trouble it takes to pump if I'm still in the house.I say this to dear old mom:
In the evening it's more about the boob than the milk anyway.
Her reply:
If she's upset enough she'll take it.
So I should make my child want food when she's upset???? Hello!! Do you want my child to be obese and learn to look to food for comfort!
When Jonathan was little there were friends and family around all the time so there was always someone to watch him if I wanted to walk to the store by myself so I always had milk in the fridge and he liked bottles just fine. He also took to his binky very well(paying for that now btw). I think its stupid for me to pump if i'm the only one around to give a bottle(we moved 50 miles away) and she doesnt care for the binky cause she likes mommy's boob better.
Now i'm gonna go read the posts above mine....
Thanks for reading!
#86 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 02:07 PM

I love to smell Angelica. So sweet
Quote:
and it looks like he has severe acid reflux
Jonathan had reflux. Not as bad as you describe though. The couple things i tried didnt help really. It didnt seem to bother him though like Leland and he gained weight like a champ so I just changed often and warned anyone holding him after he had eaten.
Glad the medicines working for him!
#87 of 389 Old 01-31-2004, 08:15 PM

Yes, Jenny--thank goodness you went and figured it out! Just think of how miserable Leland was, and how much better he feels--you are his hero!

Reflux is a measurable physical condition that can be helped> Like you said, you researched and felt OK about the meds. No judgment here!

Tammi--thankfully, my mother has not attempted to convince me to CIO. She claims she never let us cry. I am not convinced, but she does not let her g-babies cry, and she is cool with my responding to their cries. That is a battle I would not want to fight.
#88 of 389 Old 02-01-2004, 12:33 AM
bec

Jenny - I'm sorry your baby was upset, in pain, and not doing well. I'm glad you figured it out and were able to get him help. Don't apologize for doing what you think is best for your babe. It is heart wrenching to see them suffering. I've been wracked with guilt thinking how my baby was literally starving for 5 weeks because she wasn't able to suck!

We had to make a lot of decisions we didn't like for the health of our baby. She is bottle fed (with special cleft palate bottles that don't need suction to work). I have had to supplement with formula (something I was deeply oppsed to). I am pumping for her, but my supply is taking a while to get on track. Until I have enough, I am forced to use formula.

It has been hard, but I am at peace with our decisions. Emily is finally growing, gaining weight, and knows what a full belly is. And she will be completely breastfed very soon. That will be a very happy day for me!

And in other good news, we took her down to see an ENT and have her hearing checked. There was a little fluid in her ears, and she will likely need tubes for that in the future. But her hearing was perfect, and she doesn't need them now. We will have her hearing and ears checked every two months and keep a very close eye on them. I don't want to compromise her hearing in any way.

Oh, and she can roll over to her side and back again when she is in her bouncy seat! This one is going to give me trouble, I can see that!:LOL

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#89 of 389 Old 02-01-2004, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Tammi ~ we just have so many things in common. Our toddlers seem identical, babes born the same time, and your mom and my in-laws with the CIO thing. They are ALWAYS telling me to let the babe cry (something she never does anyway so when she does cry it is a definite signal - hello!) You know what's best for Angel babe - at least it's 50 miles and not 50 steps :

I so the smell of a baby (with a clean diaper anyway) I am constantly sniffing on her - especially right after a bath

Jenny ~ so glad you were able to figure out what was wrong - and why would you think we would judge you for putting him on meds. Honey, if it makes him feel better then that's what matters! for both of you.

We had such a great day today. We took Jessica to Monterey for the first time. We went to the Aquarium and she really seemed to enjoy it. Most of the exhibits were too dark or not enough action for her, but there are a couple of tanks that the fish were big enough for her to catch the movement, or the light played on the water enough for her to see it. It was cute to watch her eyes dart back and forth. I had her in the baby bjorn so she could see. We stopped at the beach - it was super windy so she and I stayed in the car while dh took the other two down to the water. I don't know if she could actually see the waves (they were HUGE today) or if she just saw the light outside, but she watched out the window for quite awhile. I took some great pictures, I'll post a link once I download them.

It's getting late and my little monkey is getting sleepy so I'm going to go lie down with her.
#90 of 389 Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 AM
bec

When Emily was born, we took Katie and showed her the spot right above her forhead just above her hairline. We told her this was the best place to smell the baby. She laughed. But I have seen her smelling emily's head, then giving her a kiss on that spot. Very, very sweet.

And I pumped 21.5 ounces yesterday! I'm 3.5 ounces shy of being able to feed Emily only breastmilk! It's so exciting to see my supply increasing like this. I can't wait to get her off that nasty formula. Emily makes this face whenever we give her a bottle with the formula in it. They apparently don't do comparison taste testing at the formula companies! Oh, and I meant to send out a special thanks to those of you who sent me coupons. It has galled me to spend so much money on the stuff. The coupons make it a bit easier to swallow.

Have a great day everyone!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page