2003-Nov./Dec. Mamas and Babies (New Thread) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 389 Old 02-12-2004, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Tammi, I dont' think there is a set age for drinking room temp milk, but I'm sure you can't do that at birth, and I would think the digestive system and body needs to develop a little to accept milk thats not warm.... I don't want to upset her balance and give her a tummy ache. I think a lot depends on the baby as well, someone replied to my thread on the breastfeeding board and said a baby as young as 6 weeks was taking room temp milk. I think I'll try Gillian with that sometime this weekend...... I'll just pump out 2oz and see how she takes to it.
I'm SO not looking forward to work...... and everyday brings me closer and closer...... how depressing.

We also have the neck roll problem, but its milk that collects in there, and smells if I don't clean it out like twice a day! And Gillian HATES me cleaning in there, its ok if we're in the bath, but otherwise she won't let me near it without fussing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 389 Old 02-12-2004, 01:54 PM

I can see how a breastfed baby would need to adjust to room temp milk after getting used to it straight from the tap, all nice and warm.
But formula fed babies get it room temp in the hospital.
Angelica's the same way with the cleaning in the tub vs. the changing table.
#123 of 389 Old 02-12-2004, 02:29 PM

I had no idea they did that in the hospital... how MEAN, what baby wouldn't LOVE a nice warm meal!

I have also thought perhaps she would prefer it at room temp, and then start refusing the breast....... just something new for me to worry about!
#124 of 389 Old 02-14-2004, 12:43 PM

Are you ready for this? Eve,at 3 1/2 months is 15lbs.!!!!!Woah!!!She is learning to grab stuff,my shirt,overall clasps,blankets....she is so close to rolling over,we can't sit her in the corner of the couch anymore or she rolls over,she lifts her head into a good tummy crunch(we should do those together)she smiles,talks,and squeals all day and even in her sleep yesterday!and she is starting to suck her thumb,she tries to nurse and suck her thumb at the same time!Also,Today is her conception aniversary!

Happy Valentines Day!

:::
#125 of 389 Old 02-14-2004, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
that's pretty big, kindred. ellie was 13lbs at her 2 mo appt. 'course that's nothing compared to that thread about the 23lb 9 week old!

ellie does like the sling fairly well if she gets to nurse, and unlike dd1 she really likes the bouncy seat and the swing. i feel like bad AP mama using these devices, but not so bad that i don't take advantage of it. the bouncy seat has this little bee that dangles from the toy bar. she just smiles and coos at her bee. he's her first crush, i guess.

we've really been blessed with good sleepers. ellie will just snooze under the crook of my armpit and stir from time to time or grunt for her milk milk, but rarely cry. daytime is another story -- she's got the loudest squawk -- but we've been getting pretty good sleep in the family bed.

hey, do any of y'all have a fleece pouch? i got one from kangaroo korner and i really like it, but ellie's not as fond of it. i think she'd like it if she could nurse like she can in the otsbh, but i can't make it happen very well. any tips?

well, happy valentine's day. we're recovering from dd1's 3rd b-day party. only ended up 3 of her friends came over, but that was plenty. whew! i think i might make dh a romantic frozen pizza for supper. how pathetic is that! he puts up with me, though...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#126 of 389 Old 02-15-2004, 01:24 AM

Quote:
she is starting to suck her thumb,she tries to nurse and suck her thumb at the same time!
That's so cute.
Jonathan used to try that with his binky.
Angelica sometimes refuses to get her fist out of the way when i'm trying to get her to eat.
Quote:
that's nothing compared to that thread about the 23lb 9 week old!
Where is this thread! That's sure is one big baby!

Here's Angelica's valentine pic in her winter white fleece cover with the pink snaps. And her naked but pic.
Happy Valentines Day!
#127 of 389 Old 02-15-2004, 01:36 AM

cute pix tammi. the 23lb 9 week ol thread is here -- http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=115092 . crazy, but the OP said he's exclusively bf. !

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#128 of 389 Old 02-15-2004, 09:00 PM
bec

That 23 lb 9week old is crazy! I read that thread the other day and was amazed. This kid is over twice as heavy as my little girl at the same age!

Emily is coming along wonderfully! My little peanut is over 10lbs. now! I'm so proud of her.

And I have a fridge full of milk now. The pumping is getting a little easier. I produced over 26 ounces yesterday! I'm able to pump less for a shorter amount of time and get more milk total. It's pretty cool. I'm keeping the middle of the night pumping for now so I can space out the times during the day to make it easier on myself, even if it means a little less sleep.

Emily is sleeping so well still! I have my fingers crossed that this isn't just a phase. She's only up usually once during the night for about 20-30 minutes to eat, then go straight back to sleep. She is also spending the beginning part of the night in her swing (we just can't get the hang of the crib for some reason, but it does make a nice laundry hamper), then she comes into bed with us.

While I love having Emily on one side of me and Katie in the middle making a Mama sandwich, it is killing my back! I've been going to the chiropracter regularly for the first time in my life.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#129 of 389 Old 02-16-2004, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

My internet router went out friday afternoon so I've been without the computer all weekend - sure got alot done around the house though :LOL That's one way to cure the MDC addiction :LOL

Both my older girls were sick last week and I think Jessica is going to escape the illnesses. She's as happy (and hungry) as ever. She's nursing well, but sometimes she'd rather I give her a bottle. She'll be hungry - you can tell by how she acts - but if I put her to the breast she gets ticked off and cries. I know it is a ticked off cry rather than a hurt cry so I know it isn't an ear ache issue. So I'll pump and give her a bottle and she sucks it down.

I weighed her last week (when I took big sis in to the doctor) and she was 12 lbs. She's smiling, and laughing more now too.

Dh, bless his heart, tries to change the baby. sometimes I find her in an aio with a cover on top of it, today I picked her up and she was soaked - he put a diaper on, but no cover. He says he can't tell what's an aio and what isn't - I have them seperated and have pointed out which ones need covers - I still think he's playing dumb so I'll just do it all the time.

It's a lazy rainy day so I'm going to go cuddle on the couch with a babe and a book.

ETA: Bec, I'm so glad things are going well with Emily. Congrats on the loss of the formula - and the weight gain! Go Emily!!
#130 of 389 Old 02-17-2004, 11:34 PM

sage had her 2mo check up today. at 9 weeks, she weighs 11#3oz and is 23in long, (she was 7#15oz at birt, and 21in long). the ped said she was a cute chubby baby. He was very supportive of breastfeeding, but when he walked in the room and saw that i was nursing, he apologized and walked back out. when he came back, he said he likes to give mothers privacy when they're nursing, i guess so they don't feel uncomfortable. I didn't care, but he was very polite about it.

Work hasn't been so bad. I realized how nice it is to have adult conversation, and how much i missed my friends that still work there. My boss hasn't really been mean to me yet. she even let me leave really early when josh called and couldn't get sage to take a bottle.

anyone else having trouble giving EBM to baby in a bottle? Sage hates it. And if you feed your baby EBM, what nipples/bottles do you use? We're using Avent bottles/nipples since i have an Avent pump...the nipples are silicone. I (stupidly) bought some playtex nipples, but not the bottles, thinking they would fit in my avent bottles : how dumb was that? oh well. Also, she will take a bottle from me with little or no fussing, but she refuses to take one from Josh until she has cried for several hours. and all that crying is starting to stress him out. he calls me at work yelling at me and says i should be "bottle-training" her...Um, hello...she takes it fine from me, i think HE's the one that needs practice. Oh well, any advice is appreciated.

love to all!!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#131 of 389 Old 02-17-2004, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Christy ~ I tried the Avent bottles with Danielle (my 2 yo) and we had a heck of a time. They made her extremely gassy and fussy. I hated them. I use playtex bottles with the larger silicone puffier type nipple (I hope you have some idea of which ones I'm talking about with that pitiful description) I think you are right that Josh is the one who needs some "bottle training" Sage is probably just used to associating food with mama so it doesn't work with daddy. Maybe try having him give her a bottle with you at home a few times so she gets used to getting it from him. Jessica isn't very picky, she doesn't care where the food comes from, just as long as she gets it :LOL
#132 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 12:02 AM

Sherri--i think i know the nipples you're talking about. they're kinda round or balloonish at the tip, right? Sage is also gagging on the avent nipples about 2 times per feeding, so i think they are too long for her in addition to being too hard. I'm going to get the whole playtex kit in afew days, (payday is coming soon, YAY!!), hopefully she will like those better. I guess it's good that i only work 2days/week...josh couldn't handle it if i were gone much longer than that, LOL.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#133 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 12:59 AM

Christy
My dd's doctor just sits right down and starts yacking away. He's not bothered by me feeding her and I could care less.
We used avent bottles with jonathan and never had a problem. He started using them at 2 weeks old though so maybe thats part of the reason I had no problems.
he was like Jessi, didnt care where it came from as long as it was food for his tummy.
Angelica doesnt get bottles like he did so it is harder to get her to take it. Not that i've given her one often. I just pull up the shirt....She's never taken more than 2 oz at a time from the bottle.

My babe started rolling onto her side this week.
sounds like a nut house down there so I must go.
#134 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Christy ~ yep, those are the ones I'm talking about. I got the playtex kit but it came with the latex squared off short nipples and she didn't care for those. At least Josh tries to feed the baby, dh has never given Jessica a bottle - she starts fussing and he comes practically running to give her to me :LOL

Tammi - thanks for the bump on the tp board. I have it posted on the diaper board and the regular tp board - really gotta get rid of some stuff. I'm going through the rest of my movies to try and get rid of them. They are all just sitting in a cabinet collecting dust here.

Took awhile but I finally got the girls to sleep (after cleaning a whole pitcher of RED koolaid off my kitchen floor ) think I'll try for some sleep now too.
#135 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 03:21 AM

My kids didnt go to bed till midnight Sherri. And I have 3 this week.
That's why i'm still up. Getting some "ME" time.
I tried to email you earlier but my computer must have been hungry cause it ate my email! I was mad and walked away.
#136 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 06:16 PM

Hi everyone! I have a 3-month-old dd, born November 18 and I have a question for you. I am wondering what your babies' daily routine is like. Do they eat and sleep in any kind of predictable pattern? How long do they nap for? This is my second baby and our first was not a good sleeper. We ended up co-sleeping and she had to nurse to fall asleep, stay asleep and return to sleep (for naps and bedtime)until she was 16 months old! We want to avoid this if at all possible now but I won't CIO or do any kind of training. I guess I just want to know what other 3-month-olds are doing and I want to foster her ability to self soothe but at the same time not put any undue pressure on either of us. dd2 has been able to get herself back to sleep from time to time but during the last few days she will only nurse to sleep and has been waking more frequently so this has me wondering if we are heading down that same slippery slope as with my first. I feel like I am rambling so sorry, hopefully some of you can tell me about your experiences!
#137 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 07:13 PM

your first sounds normal to me. my 3 yr old still nurses to sleep 95% of the time :LOL ! my second dd, born nov 29, is starting to get into a vague pattern of a being up about 2 hrs in the morning and then having a big nap (especially if she's in the sling) then it's sorta random wakings and catnaps the rest of the time. she won't sleep very long if i'm not with her, but sometimes snoozes for 20 to 30 minutes in her bouncy seat or occasionally the swing. we have a crib, but haven't even tried it for naps. it makes a great baby changing station, though...

probably not much help, but maybe another mama here can give you a little better advice.

#138 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 07:53 PM

Thanks, beanma. Sounds just like what my babe is doing. She usually only sleeps about an hour if I'm not with her, occasionally 2 hours. Then the rest of the time she catnaps, too. I know all babies are different and that breastfed, co-sleeping babies can't be compared especially to ff, crib-sleeping babes. I just needed a sense of what is generally going on at this age. I don't mind nursing her to sleep anytime but I want her to have other ways of getting to sleep, too. My first was waking up every 30-45 minutes at different times all night long plus she couldn't stay alseep for a long enough nap to be rested unless I was there to IMMEDIATELY nurse her. This was very stressful and if we can avoid at least some of that down the road by how we do things now, within AP reason, I want to do it!
#139 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Octobermama ~ Jessica is my third dd, with dd1, we only bfed for 8 months, she was in daycare (I worked there) and so she can sleep anywhere anytime and never needed much help getting to sleep. With dd2, I was home with her. She could not go to sleep without being nursed down and I stupidly got her hooked on the pacifier (I'm still paying for that one) so we didn't have to nurse all the time. She only took little catnaps unless I was next to her, any little sound woke her up - and still does. She weaned herself at 16 months, still will not sleep on her own and can't fall asleep without me. Jessica (born November 12th BTW) is so completely different. She nurses to sleep most of the time, but if she wakes, she sort of talks herself back to sleep. She makes little mewing noises - not crying or fussing, just little noises and usually falls back to sleep within a few minutes. The only thing I did different with her is I don't jump the second she makes a noise, I wait until she starts making her "pick me up darn it" noises. This isn't CIO, I wouldn't do that to her and I do respond to her. She sleeps in the cradle next to my bed and when she does start making noise I usually sit up and listen to see if she's falling back asleep or if she needs to have mommy. During the day she has one good nap in the morning (she has to be in her swing though, that's where she's happiest in the morning) then she takes a few little power naps during the day and if I'm lucky she takes a super nap in the afternoon. She can sleep through just about anything - dd2 isn't the quietest child. Now who's rambling Oh, and Jessica sleeps awesome at night. Her first stretch is about 7 hours normally, she nurses and sleeps another 3 or 4, wakes up for a couple of hours and then takes her morning nap. I guess it's pretty exhausting having someone feed you, change you, cuddle you, bathe you, etc. :LOL
#140 of 389 Old 02-18-2004, 08:57 PM

thank you Octobermamma! that's exactly what i was wondering! Sage still hasn't really fallen into any type of pattern, and I personally don't think a child can be raised on a schedule, (ie: Ezzo parenting ). So i'm just waiting for her to fall into something. She doesn't really need to be nursed to sleep until night time. She usually sleeps about 6 hours, then wakes up, eats for about 30 minutes, and goes back to sleep for 3-4 hours. her naps are like this: I usually lay her down to make myself lunch or something, and i come back, and she's asleep. She also loves her carseat, and prettymuch falls asleep as soon as she's in it.

good luck to you and I hope we can both get into a pattern soon, LOL.

#141 of 389 Old 02-22-2004, 05:47 PM

Felix is 2 1/2 months old! I can't believe how fast time is going by.

He actually has a pretty predictable schedule. It takes him a while to get to sleep at night, but then he usually sleeps for 6 or 7 hours straight - sometimes more. In the morning he wakes up for a diaper change and some boob, then goes back to sleep for a while. He sleeps off and on until about 2, when he goes down for a 3 or 4 hour nap - usually in the sling at the playground for part of it.

He's such a sweet, smiley guy. And he LOVES his papa. He sometimes cries if he sees DH but DH doesn't stop to at least talk to him.
#142 of 389 Old 02-23-2004, 01:58 AM

Hello all~
Sounds like all is going well for all of us with our babies. Some problems but from what i've read things have been working out for us.
Angelica is doing some serious drooling these days. Always trying to suck on her fist or thumb. I am trying to get her to like her binky some more because she has turned me into her human binky and i'm not always crazy about that. I will try to find others ways to make her happy but when she really wants my boob she will scream at me till she gets it.
got to go, shes up
#143 of 389 Old 02-23-2004, 10:18 AM

well actually...

meryem has a bad bad cold. she caught it from ds--complete with lots of snot that has to be sucked out, and a nasty cough.
#144 of 389 Old 02-23-2004, 10:23 AM

So sorry to hear that 1jooj. It can be do tuff when they have a cold. Hopefully it will go away quickly.
#145 of 389 Old 02-23-2004, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I've been pumping for Jessica - I don't have thrush but there is some serious pain when she nurses so Im hoping that pumping for awhile will let the traumatized nipples get better. It's a good thing she takes the bottle so well. I still nurse a couple times a day so she doesn't get too dependant on the bottle but I have to make sure I'm not too full when she does or it really hurts! My babe is 3 months, 1 week and 3 days - she weighed 12 lbs 2 oz a week ago. She's so happy and alert, always smiling and she's discovered her voice! It's so cute the way she looks at me and just babbles. She's trying to reach for things but just can't quite connect - you should see the surprised look she gets when she does connect though :LOL
#146 of 389 Old 02-27-2004, 03:54 AM

you guys remember all the problems i had with my job when i was pg? remember how much i hated my boss? well, i'm not employed there anymore.

I was scheduled to work 8am to 5pm. I fed sage at 6:30am, then i left for work. i got there, the day went well until 4pm. josh called and sage had not eaten since i fed her. she was screaming and josh was crying because he couldn't get her to take a bottle at all. I asked my boss if i could go home and this is what she said:

"This happens all the time with you. I hate for you to have to lose your job over this, but I'm going to have to replace you. so clock out and go home."

first of all, this was only the 2nd time i left early, (the 1st time was at her insistance b/c she sould hear sage crying on the phone). secondly, I'm not going to let my child starve just so i can work.

I called back later that night and talked to one of the asst. managers, and she said that my boss was just threatening me, not firing me. I told her to tell the boss that I quit if I'm not already fired because no one can force me to choose between my job and my child and expect me to choose my job!!

so now i'm a SAHM, we'll see how long we can make it without any money. I'm working on making some stuff to sell online, (this is not spam, btw), so hopefully i can make some money that way. I'm relieved to not be working there anymore anyway. i bet my blood pressure is better, lol.

#147 of 389 Old 02-27-2004, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Christy ~ Good for you, telling them just where they could put it. I can't believe she said that to you! I hope things work out so that you are able to stay home with Sage. Poor baby girl, and poor Josh. Sage just knows it's better right out of the package than in the bottle :LOL You are better off without that job, it was just one huge stress maker foryou. Good luck mama!
#148 of 389 Old 02-27-2004, 11:12 AM

Good luck to you Christy. You sure didnt need the stress that job gave you. If you need to get another job now you can make sure it'll be closer to home.
Hugs for Sage. s
#149 of 389 Old 02-27-2004, 11:14 AM

Were you FT? Can you collect unemployment? Can a boss actuallyfire you for having to take care of your baby??? I hate your boss!

I am having trouble with my job, too--I don't make enough to afford anyone other than my sister (nor do I trust anyone else) with ds...and dd can only handle 3-4 hours in the office at a time. Working at home is not working well right now, but I am hoping warmer weather changes this. A friend has propositioned me to stay home and care for her children...it would be great to be home and kid-focused all the time, but I don't know whether I am really suited to that--besides, this would take me totally out of the professional world, and when both my kids are school aged, I'd have to start completely over again. Advice?

I actually applied for a few sexy FT jobs. Doubt whether I'll get any offers, and I am not sure what I was thinking. Dh agreed to try to switch shifts if I do find something, but I amso torn. I hate to think of running ourselves all ragged like that over $$.

Meryem's bad cold is better...but she's still pretty snotty and she coughed and lost her whole breakfast this AM. Her 2 month check is today. No shots for my little dictator.
#150 of 389 Old 02-27-2004, 12:19 PM

Good for you,Christy!I think just knowing you don't have to go back there has lowered MY blood pressure!:LOL
We too are going thru some $ tightness issues,and how to get through them.So I have been brainstorming a lot on the subjest,here are some ideas;
Invest in something and/or save to-fixing up houses to cars to furniture to clothing...and returning them to the world renewed(saves room in landfills and recycling centers)
invest your time in your self and home-I have currently found the joy of making food from scratch,and the satisfaction of saving tons on our grocery bill-tortillia shells,crackers,breads,cookies,all kinds of stuff,it is amazing how thhis can improve your health too!(DH has lost 5 lbs from not being able to afford soda and candy!)and I am already starting to invest my time in the garden-you can plant in your home if you have no land,or at very least start sprouting.
invest in your talents-I have made an outline for an alternative home preschool(teaching music and knitting as seen in a Mothering Mag article,instead of abc's....) and a family birth/positive sex ed class....(Still no takers,but it's there!)
Sales-tupperware,hepa-filter vacumes,avon,marykay,those sorts of things...
There is a ton of opportunity!!
Good Luck!

:::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page