Should I be giving water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did you start giving your breastfed baby water? DD was exclusively breastfed until around 7 months, then we've done BLW since then and she's now about 10 months old and is really going to town on the solids. These says she generally has solids at lunch and dinner (but not always - sometimes only once a day). I don't offer solids at breakfast because she doesn't even often want to nurse first thing in the morning. I guess she gets her fill overnight and has more important things to do (like playing!) first thing in the morning.

Anyway, I tried offering some breast milk in a sippy at lunch on a couple of occassions and she was pretty uninterested. A friend of mine said that her DD loves ice water in a sippy. When did you start introducing water? Should I be offering it?

cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding mom to my DD born July 4, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 AM

We started water in a sippy when we introduced solids. But that's just for practice with drinking from a cup. I don't think there is any nutritional reason you should offer water to a babe that is still nursing regularly.

BTW, my babe will not touch milk in a sippy... he knows there are more wonderful containers around for that.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#3 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 AM

I give water when I start solids.

-Angela
#4 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 AM

I've offered water from time to time, but she hasn't had any interest until lately. She became interested at around one year, I'd say. I don't know if it's because she's eating more, or it's warmer, or she's just interested. She's had normal amounts of pee and seems fine even without drinking water.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#5 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM

It isn't necessary to give a BF baby water, but it does help when learning to drink from a cup.

My LO mastered the sippy cup with water this past weekend at her brother's soccer games. It was blazing hot and she was thirsty. It was so cute. She is just about 8 months.
#6 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM

We give a few sips of water with meals. Think about it, when you are eating, don't you need a few sips of drink to keep your mouth from getting too dry? We don't let him have a lot (he loves water, and would drink a ton if we let him) but he definitely loves it. We offer him sips from a small, regular glass.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#7 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM

we give ds sips of water with his solids, or if we're outside in the heat for extended period of time. we started around 6 months when we started solids

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#8 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

I gave dd a few sips of water every day during the recent heat wave. She's 7 months old and has solids once a day, but otherwise just breast milk. The water made her diapers super wet. I'll probably keep giving her a little water every day, especially as the weather gets warmer.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#9 of 9 Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM

We started giving our dd water from a big person glass (with me holding it of course) at around 6.5 month. She was SO interested in watching us drink that I couldn't resist. She is bf +++ throughout the day and night so I look at it as more of 'practice using a cup' than an actual dietary need. I also, just yesterday, bought a sippy cup for her to use when we are out walking with the stroller - though this is a rare event as she much prefers being carried (but that's for another thread! ) She seems to like the sippy.

Mama to two beautiful girls (Aug '08 & Jan '11). Learning as we go...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page