Mothering Forum banner

9 mo well baby check-up...can I skip?

822 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Alathia 
#1 ·
Here's the scoop DD is 9 mos and we're in the middle of switching docs. It will be a good month before we get into the new one. Soooo....do I go to the old doc for the 9 mos well baby visit?....do the 12 mos one early w/the new doc? or just skip the 9 mos one althogether? I have always done the mainstream thing and when "everyone" says to do something I do it. But, I've read on MDC on several occasions where some don't do WBV at all. I always thought these visits were important. But, on the other hand, I can tell DD is just fine. She is WAY more advanced than DS was at this age and there were no concerns with him. WWYD?

#2 ·
I don't know enough to say you should or shouldn't... but in my opinion it seems pretty useless. I'm just taking mine for the 9m WBV because it's free and I have nothing better to do :p

IF you know her weight and height is good I'd think it wouldn't be a big deal. Definitely good idea for the 12m though. I mean my WBV last like 5 minutes anyway.

#4 ·
For me the only reason to do WBV is so the doctor is familiar enough w/ DS to know what his baseline is like to compare to if he does have a problem or gets sick. The other reason is for DS to be familiar with her so that he's not dealing with being handled by a stranger.
So if you're switching prectices, I wouldn't see the point in having another visit with the current Doc. Just wait until it's convenient to have an appointment with the new one. Also, there is nothing magical about 9mo, 12mo, etc. unless you are trying to vax on schedule. I did 9mo, and then not again until 16mo. And the next will be at 25 mo. Just b/c that's what works best for our travel schedule.
The only thing is if you live in an old house and need to get tested for lead or you are worried about iron levels or something, then you might want to make sure you get in for bloodwork at some point.

#5 ·
dd has never had a WBV and she's just fine. IMO these are mainly about vaxing, so if you don't, then there isn't much point...unless you don't feel confident about judging your baby's health and development.

So yes: I'd say it's fine to skip.

PP--if your WBV lasts 5 minutes, then why even bother?

#6 ·
We haven't done a WBV after being coerced into a vax which my dd was in the veeeery low risk group (hep c? w/e the birth one is...)
: That was the 1 mth WBV. She's 6.5ish mths now. If we had a more holistic ped then I'd probably go. She's growing like a weed and seems on target. That's just my experience though. The waiting room at ours seemed so germy.
i personally wouldn't stress.

#7 ·
WBV are centered around the vax schedual. If it wasnt for the vax then a visit every 2 months would not be recommended. If you wish to skip it do so.

I stopped all WBV when I stopped vaxing ds was 4mo at the time. He hasnt had one since only went in when sick. Once he starts school he will go once a year for the school.

#8 ·
I did a few WBV with my oldest but none since then, so none of my girls have had them at all. (We don't vax at all.) I know some other people have stated that it is a good idea to have a paper trail of medical care in case you get cps called on you or something, but I'm guessing you already have that since you do the visits and plan to continue with the new doc.

Anyway, I am more into home health care and am considering getting an infant scale and a regular one and keeping my own notes on their growth patterns and any other health care I do for them, plus any records from midwife, ER, dentist, etc... when we've needed to use their services.

#9 ·
our FP doc said we could skip the 9 mo WBV, which is just a weight check mostly. If your baby is doing fine and you don't have any concerns about development I would skip it.

#11 ·
for your situation, I would skip the 9month visit with the old ped, and go ahead and just schedule a 12 month visit with the new doctor.

I'm a little surprised by the responses of people who say WBV are just for vaxing and are of no concern for anyone. I love our WBVs. Our ped always spends 15 minutes with me and each child. It's not just about vax'ing for us (we delay, we only do one vax at at ime), but it's also a check in on my health, any concerns I have, social/cognitive/motor developments I should be on the lookout for, things that should cause a flag on my radar. Our ped has been with us since my oldest was born and I LOVE her to pieces, even if I don't agree with her advice all the time I really feel that she takes the time out for us during the WBV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.