Super Super Super SUPER Horribly Smelly Gas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (11 1/2 months) has had this really horribly smelly gas problem at night for the passed two weeks. We hear her passing gas throughout the night as well and she is restless, almost fitful, I assume due to discomfort.

She eats almost everything with the exception of dairy products and eggs which don't seem to agree with her. We practiced baby-led weaning so she began with straight on solid foods at 6 months, never ate purees. She still nurses, though this had decreased dramatically in the past month, evidenced by the fact that while she used to drink 12 oz/day from bottle during the three days/wk we're apart, she now drinks 2-4 oz/day. She intermittently sips water and weak chamomile tea throughout the day. She seems to have her largest milk intake during our nighttime hours together in bed.....nursing intermittently throughout the night.

Any ideas?

Digestive system adjusting to all these foods? Sugar in my diet? Milk in my diet? Dehydration? Result of decreased nursing?

Her pediatrician has recommended we get saccharomyces probiotic and says he'd like to see her next week. I'm exhausted from lack of sleep and worried for her discomfort.

Please share your thoughts/experiences.

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM

some people are allergic to Chammomile! I'd stop the tea, and go with fennel tea, or something else soothing. Chammomile tea gives me ferocious stomachaches!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 3 Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 PM

The probiotics should help, I use them myself and they help immensely with gas and digestion issues.

You might also cut out some of the more gassy foods from her diet. Things like Broccoli, cauliflower, spicy foods, etc. You can google gassy foods and find a list of the most gas producing foods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page