Can a baby be "too tall"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should preface all of this by saying that I am not really worried... and my DS's ped is a bit of an alarmist. I don't especially like her, but we don't have a lot of options where I live.

Anyway, she has always been "worried" that DS is "too tall and too heavy". At his 6 month check up he was 29 inches - off the charts for both height and weight. At the nine month, he was 32 inches tall. She said she is "very concerned about his height" but didn't really say why. When pressed, she said "he's off the charts."

Is this really a concern? Does anyone have any insights? He is 9 mo and wears 18 mo - 24 mo in clothes. So, yeah, he's big. I get it. But his height and weight are proportionate to each other. He's ahead in all of his milestones, including motor skills (pulls up, crawls, stands just fine).

DH and I are average height (I'm 5'7, DH is 5'10) - but all the men in my family are at least 6 feet tall. So I'd think he'll just be a tall guy. I mean, someone has to be 99th percentile, right? I don't get how this is a "problem".

Anyone else have really tall babes? Was the doctor concerned? What could height imply that is negative?

Thanks!!!!

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#2 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM

My babe is about average, but I have a question:

If he is indeed "too tall" what does your pedi want to do about it? I'm pretty sure theres not much that can be done about that, at least not anything that wouldn't be really harmful.

Your babe sounds healthy and sounds like he might just be a really tall baby, doesn't seem like theres anything wrong with that.
#3 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM

I was always "off the charts" for height, but really low on the charts for weight. I'm 5'9" now. There wasn't really a concern over me for either, but my mom and dad are both tall (dad 5'11", mom 6'2")

My brother was "off the charts" for both height and weight, he's now 6'9". There wasn't any concern over him either.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#4 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 PM

There are some concerns with jumping dramatically from one percentile to another, but just being in the 99th percentile isn't cause for concern. If there was really something to worry about, the ped. would've talked about specific concerns.
#5 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM

We just had our 9m WBV and my babe is 30 1/4'' long and 26.5 lbs. He is >95% and has been since birth (born at 23 1/2'' long and 9lbs 2oz). My ped just said I'm doing a great job Has your baby always been in a high percentile? Like a PP said, there is absolutley nothing to worry about if their growth is consistent. Just give yourself a pat on your back and ignore your peds "concerns" on this one.
#6 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
I should preface all of this by saying that I am not really worried... and my DS's ped is a bit of an alarmist. I don't especially like her, but we don't have a lot of options where I live.

Anyway, she has always been "worried" that DS is "too tall and too heavy". At his 6 month check up he was 29 inches - off the charts for both height and weight. At the nine month, he was 32 inches tall. She said she is "very concerned about his height" but didn't really say why. When pressed, she said "he's off the charts."

Is this really a concern? Does anyone have any insights? He is 9 mo and wears 18 mo - 24 mo in clothes. So, yeah, he's big. I get it. But his height and weight are proportionate to each other. He's ahead in all of his milestones, including motor skills (pulls up, crawls, stands just fine).

DH and I are average height (I'm 5'7, DH is 5'10) - but all the men in my family are at least 6 feet tall. So I'd think he'll just be a tall guy. I mean, someone has to be 99th percentile, right? I don't get how this is a "problem".

Anyone else have really tall babes? Was the doctor concerned? What could height imply that is negative?

Thanks!!!!

Oh wow how weird! Your post could have been written by me. DH is the shortest male in both our families so I bet dd is going to tower over him... and me lol.

She was 29 inches at her 6mo checkup too. But our doctor isn't worried. He said she's off the charts, but she is following her individual curve. Is your DS on his own curve from birth?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#7 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses!

Yes, I totally agree that there isn't anything we can do about height. So... I have no idea what she is acting concerned about.

DS was 9 lbs 10 oz at birth... but I think only 22 inches? I think at 3 months his height was more like 50th percentile, so there was a jump in his percentile... BUT you all know how hard it is to get an accurate length measurement on a squirming baby. And if you look at the charts, a small difference of like 1/2 in an inch at 3 months can be the difference between 50th and 90th percentile (that's not based on looking at chart, BTW, so don't quote me on that!). So perhaps the jump in percentiles is what has her concerned, but again ... how accurate are those measurements?

If this is is true jump in percentile (going from 50th at 3 mo to 99th at 6 month) what is the concern? Is there some disorder this could indicate?

BTW... DS also has 8 teeth in already. So his mouth also seems to be growing at a faster than usual rate.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#8 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I grow them big also. Jack was 22 3/4 in long at birth and has been hanging at the 100% for height and 97% for weight. You have a happy healthy boy. Where do you think all those professional football players come from. NOT the 5% My oldest is 17 and is 6ft1 and 215lbs.
Feed em' love em' and keep em' clean as my grandma used to say.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#9 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#10 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Mine is off the chart for weight and 95th or more for height and has been for a while (was 29 lbs at his 6 month visit-wearing 2T/3T) My dr. isn't worried. My family is all big people (over 6' and 200 lbs for the guys) and though my husband and I are on the small side, she just figures he's gotten the big genes. I wouldn't worry!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#11 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM

One thing to check is the growth pattern in both your families. I'm normal height, but most people in my family were tall as kids and hit their teen growth spurts early, so we end up fairly average in height. DH's family also hit their teen growth spurt early but they were very, very tall as kids, so they really do end up tall as adults, just a smaller gap between them and most other adults than they used to have as kids.

It can work the other way too--kids who are smaller than most others, but don't hit their teen growth spurts til a couple years later than average, so they keep growing longer and then do the growth spurt to get to their adult height which can be average, despite being little all through childhood.
#12 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Above average height is associated with some conditions, like Marfan's Syndrome, that cause heart problems. So if your baby is unusually tall, your doc. might be trying to say that she wants to monitor for signs of Marfan's or another condition like it because his height could be a sign that he might develop it later in life.

If that is your doc's concern, she's doing a terrible job communicating it - the height itself is not the concern, and it sounds like she's not explaining what issues your child's height might be a sign of.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page