Dangers of giving babies cows milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO is 10 months and she had her first taste of cows milk yesterday. She has started wanted everything that we drink and when she got so upset about wanting the drop in the bottom of the cup, I figured 'whatever'

So what are the issues with doing this? Will having a tiny sip every once in a while harm her?

Keep in mind that I am not offering this to her and I'm not using this to substitute breastfeeding or nutrition of any kind. I'm doing it the same way we do water--only when she asks for it and only a little sip.

For the time being, I'm just trying to hide my milk glass, but I drink a lot so that's difficult.

student momma to two great girls

#2 of 3 Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM

The primary issues are with cow's milk for young infants, or cow's milk becoming a large part of the diet, at too young an age.

1. Cow's milk contains inadequate vitamin C and iron, and too much protein relative to fat. If a baby or young toddler drinks it, their appetites for more appropriate foods are diminished, and there's a risk that they will not get enough of those nutrients that they need.

2. Too much protein puts stress on the kidneys.

3. The protein casein is difficult to digest and allergenic.

That said, my kids all ate cheese and cow's milk yogurt at that age, so I can't see that occasional sips of cow's milk are a problem as long as it stays with just small amounts. Some people delay potentially allergenic foods a long time, but I'm not one of those.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 3 Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM

i think that if she occasionally gets some milk its fine, i think the cow protein is absorbed differently by human body (i mean different from human milk), if she gets a lot of it it may make her congested and constipated, but i dont see why a little bit once in a while will do that.
there are other options like soy milk, rice milk and a large variety of nut milks.
in the book 'baby matters' (i think you can get it on the mothering website) there is a bog discussion on cow's milk and how its not entirely proper and safe for humans, although there its mostly breastmilk vs. cow milk based formula, so i dont know if it will be much help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page