February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
We didn't do bottles, but we did introduce a sippy cup and open cup over the last month or so. Open cup for at home and sippy for on the go ... is there a reason you want to do a bottle?
I hadn't even thought of that - thank you! The only reason we were trying a bottle is because the pump I bought came with one. But if I'm going to go out and buy something I will definitely try a sippy first. I guess he's old enough now to not need the milk to be in a bottle - and that thought makes me tear up a bit.

And we do sometimes let him try drinking water from an open cup. I wouldn't want to do that with my breastmilk as it's such a pain to pump and I don't want to see it dumped on the floor

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM

Royce has his first tooth!!! I'm so excited, it was very unexpected! I honestly had no idea he was teething! In hindsight I can see some signs: he was waking up crying at night (usually he wakes up and just stirs a bit until I nurse him, but lately he was actually crying), and he's been a bit fussier than usual. But I had a cold last week and then he got it, so I figured the crying and fussiness was just the cold (it was his first cold ). I guess it's probably a bit of both. Anyway, this morning he went to chew on my finger and I felt the little tooth poking through

I also wanted to add that I started a new discussion on facebook in case anyone's interested. Our discussions have slowed down so I thought I'd try and revive it a little. I'm going to be mysterious and make you look on fb to find out what the discussion is :P

Old 09-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Oh my goodness, we are SO DONE with the babies! No more baby fever here!!! I am really enjoying having Eliza be my last.
me too. I love knowing that this is it. When I go do things with the kids it can be really hard to get in and do the activities with the older two (especially at these free events that have booths with crafts and stuff, or at museums) I find myself feeling a bit resentful in one way and looking forward to being able to truly DO it when Junes gets a bit older. I had this same feeling when Josephine was a baby, but at the time i knew I wanted another kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post

Isn't it funny how "mama" is an upset sound? My guy doesn't know what it means either, but he does it when he's pissed. I suspect that's why "mama" sounds similar in so many languages. Babies make the sound when they want something. What they want is usually their mother - voila - a word.
I think this is so true. AS my friend told my sisters, when Juniper says "mama" she wants nursies or comfort, and it was the same for her son. Mama was comfort and dada was play

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmothermary View Post
I would in a heartbeat.

Not so says my dh.
for us it is the opposite, three girls leaves him wanting to have another in the hopes of a boy. (although in his defense he had always wanted three girls, i think he has just ammnded it to 3 girls and a boy. LOL. too bad I don't want anymore.)

Quote:
I worry that I wouldn't love another child the same way ... and we both worry that because Esmé has been so easygoing, that we'd jinx ourselves if we try for another one.
i was worried about this before i had my second, and in one way you are right you won't love her like your first, your love will be different because the child is a different person, but it will be just as strong....that said enjoy your family of three, it's awesome being three.

I just happened in to life with a babe to see if there was a thread for our group, to find it at the number two spot! glad to read about what everyone is up to, i look forward to keeping up with you all and getting to know you better.

Juniper is growing beautifully and I am loving my family of five even when it is hectic and hard to keep up. Yesterday i took all three girls to the playground and Junipe crawled up a slide. It was super cute, although when she tried to sit on the slide half way up it later I had to scoop her up before disaster struck. lol

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Still stuck on the crawling front here - though he now goes forward a little bit (and backwards most of the time). I think our slippery floors are not helping.

Does anyone else's baby show no interest in talking or signing? I can tell that Katmai understands more words than he used to, but he's quite happy to communicate by panting, laughing, smiling, croaking, huuh-ing, fussing, and crying. He can babble "ma" and "ba", but doesn't do it all that much. If I make sounds at him, he prefers to watch and laugh than to try to imitate.

Katmai's getting pretty good at turning the pages in his board books now, and seems to really enjoy that.

I know it's probably all normal, but I can't help but worry a little bit that I don't see much progress in either mobility or language lately... But he's a very sweet happy baby, and plays happily by himself for fairly long periods of time - so I guess I'm pretty lucky.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Still stuck on the crawling front here - though he now goes forward a little bit (and backwards most of the time). I think our slippery floors are not helping.

Does anyone else's baby show no interest in talking or signing? I can tell that Katmai understands more words than he used to, but he's quite happy to communicate by panting, laughing, smiling, croaking, huuh-ing, fussing, and crying. He can babble "ma" and "ba", but doesn't do it all that much. If I make sounds at him, he prefers to watch and laugh than to try to imitate.

Katmai's getting pretty good at turning the pages in his board books now, and seems to really enjoy that.

I know it's probably all normal, but I can't help but worry a little bit that I don't see much progress in either mobility or language lately... But he's a very sweet happy baby, and plays happily by himself for fairly long periods of time - so I guess I'm pretty lucky.
Owyn is almost 7 months and is pretty vocal and getting really good at practicing words. But I babysit a little one almost 8 months old. She has no interest in talking. She makes noises and yells a lot, but nothing that sounds like anything.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 PM

it is hard not to worry sometimes, but it all sounds perfectly normal. Plus he IS communicating, you understand him and he knows that. Good job mama. my Juniper has said two words, maybe three, but not often. mostly she screeches when she's happy.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Esmé is eight months and not crawling, no teeth, and no purposeful words although she is all about babbling. I'm not worried. She makes herself very clear, and is quite happy hanging out on a blanket with a pile of toys, and noshing on her teething rings. All in good time.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 PM

Fiona will be 8 months next week. She was saying Mama but quit! Now she's saying Papa instead. Cute but not as cute as Mama was, lol! Other then that she just babbles all the time... bababababa, yayayaya, dadadada. She really WANTS to crawl but only skoots backwards and in a circle. She can sit if I put her into a sitting position but doesn't put herself into a sitting position. She still falls over too so I always have some pillows on the floor behind her. She does sign milk... doing it with two hands means more I think because she does that in her highchair a lot while we are eating. (I think banging her hand on the tray also means more! more like more NOW! ) She makes a kissing sound a lot which is so cute. It must be due to the millions of kisses I smother her with everyday!

She's taken 3 20 minute naps today. Good grief days like these are hard. I'm hoping that this is all related to teething (I blame everything on teething, lol!) and will get better soon. One of her top teeth just broke through today with another right on its way. She's going on 4 top teeth and two bottom teeth now. We'd really love a teething break around here!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Can I just say, our babies have the best names. Owyn, Juniper, Esme, and on and on, I love it. Very cool names.

Carry on!

P.S. how do you get the little mark over the "e" in Esme?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 09-26-2009, 03:33 AM

AKislandgirl... Esmé was saying 'mama' all the time and then quit too! What's that about? I was so into it, and now she's all 'bababababa' 'nananan' and so on.

LionTigerBear About the accent on the é in Esmé's name ... on a mac you hit 'alt' and then the 'e' key. I'd have to ask my mom how to do it on a PC ... some combo of numbers on the number key pad to the right of the keyboard. And I agree ... this board is full of beautifully-named babies!!!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM

it is very common for kids to get thiongs down and then just drop it completely while they move on to new challenges. every single one of my girls has.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
P.S. how do you get the little mark over the "e" in Esme?
On a PC, hold down ALT and then press "0233" on the number pad to get "é".

Maia says "Mamamama" but that's pretty much the only consonant sound she's making right now.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 AM

Makenna says dadadada but no mama yet. That will be awesome!

Still scooting backwards and in circles and finally ocassionally getting her tummy off the floor. No teeth here. She's shaking her head a lot and someone said her daughter got teeth right after doing that so who knows. Could have been coincidental timing for my friend. Also still not really eating solids. She's eaten maybe 5 bites of purees in the past week and is playing with solids but not much is even making it to her mouth let alone being cosumed. C'est la vie.

Makenna has yet to really start rolling back to tummy (she does got tummy to back)! I've seen her do it a few times and she constantly rolls onto her side or twists almost all the way but usually her head stays where it is. I guess that will happen when she starts crawling and wants to get going on her own.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 09-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Katmai loves his solid foods - the only thing he wouldn't touch was a slimy banana. If I'm eating, I have to share. He especially seems to like yogurt and salmon. I'm not sure if that's because he likes the flavor, or because both attract the cat to within petting range!

When he tries to crawl, he gets up on hands and knees, brings one knee forward, then lifts the other one up in the air and back over his back - looks like some kind of funny yoga pose. Cute, but ineffective.
I think babies roll only to the way they want to be. Katmai rolled tummy to back a few times at 2.5-3 months old, and hasn't done it since. I know he can, but he wants to be on his tummy, and rolls that way all the time.

Do your babies have favorite books? Katmai has this dog book where some of the pictures move, and you can pet the dog's ears, etc... It's his favorite thing ever at this point.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do your babies have favorite books?
We have a book with pictures of babies, and Anthony loves to hold the book up and kiss them. He also likes to chew on the cover, so I guess he really likes that book.

Anthony does the army crawl. He also goes a couple of "steps" on all fours, moving his arms and all, tummy off the floor, but then flops down and goes back to the army crawl.

No words here, but babbling a lot. And screeching! Oh, the screeching. He cracks himself up with the screams. Glad he's amused; feel like I have to check for eardrum intactness afterwards sometimes, they're so loud and so high.

Can someone post a link to the fb page? And is there a way to make it stick on my page so that I can find it quickly?

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 09-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Re Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...9389603&ref=mf
If you click the little 'group' button at the bottom left of your page you will get a page with a list of all the groups you are in and can then click on our ddc group. I'm not sure if there's any quicker way than that.

Re favourite books: any book he can tear the pages out of and eat. He especially loves magazines because I will actually let him rip them as opposed to books which get taken away. Board books I will let him play with but he can't tear those so it's not as much fun

Re crawling: he is so so close to it. He goes backwards and in circles, and today I noticed he can now get himself onto his hands and knees and will rock. If he's on the hardwod he will do some butt scooting.

Re solids: he will eat or try to eat anything that comes within arms reach. Yesterday we were out for dinner and when the waitress cleared the table she had to hold everything off to the side because he was leaning out of his highchair trying to get it It was pretty funny.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Just had to add - has anyone noticed that we are on our 16th page?!?! I love that our group is so active!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Gillian: Maia loves tearing newspapers/magazines apart too! I have to keep books out of her reach, but to distract her while I read the newspaper I usually give her the ads I don't care to look at, because she has a BLAST ripping them apart.

Maia's taken a step on her own without falling down a few times now. She lets go of what she's holding on to, steps forward, pauses, then lunges/falls towards whatever it is she wants to grab. It's a little bit scary sometimes, but I'm still pretty tickled by watching her learn and grow.

We discovered today that she LOVES LOVES roasted butternut squash. The only other thing I've seen her eat with such gusto is watermelon!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 PM

We're doing a lot of purees here and offer solids frequently as well. She loves carrots, butternut squash, and any fruit I give her. Those seem to be her favorites so far. She will not tolerate peas or anything with peas in it. Which is strange, I love peas and so does DH. Maybe she'll acquire a taste for them eventually.

Crawling is just around the corner. For over a week now, she's been getting on her hands and knees and rocking. It's more and more developed by the day. Now, she is occasionally scooting her knees forward but can't figure out the hands. She knows if she rocks hard enough her knees will scoot forward. So, she does that, then belly flops on the floor. It's definitely coming along!

I have to agree that we have some beautiful names in this group! How exactly is Katmai pronounced. I love how that looks when it is written. My friend is expecting and really hoping for a boy, I may have to mention that name to her if I knew how to say it. Lol.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Katmai is pronounced like "cat" and then "my". It's the name of a volcano and a national park in Alaska (from a native Alaskan language).

And he sometimes does the scoot knees under and bellyflop thing too. Don't be too impatient for the crawling, though. I swear he's been doing this type of thing for well over a month now without figuring it out!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM

I used to let Junes chew on paper and magazines and such but she has choked so many times that i stopped letting her.

she is wanting to walk. she stands for extended periods of time without holding on to anything and sort of does that thing were she start to lift a foot, but then changes her mind

as for food she seemed interested but it has waned. I guess she just wanted to know what it was, and decided breast milk is better.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:37 PM

We just got back from a trip to Edmonton where I had to do a couple of author appearances (I'm a YA writer ...) and I left Esmé with DP for the longest time in her whole life and they did great! It was only four hours, but it seemed like four DAYS to me. They had a great time! Phew. I'm so relieved. I trust DP entirely, but I wasn't sure if Esmé would go to sleep for her. She did! In the carrier, which works great for me too.
She's pulling herself up now, which is exciting. I actually think she might be one of those babies who skip crawling, or spend about two minutes at it before deciding to walk. Her best little bud who is only three days older has been crawling for months ... it'll be cute to see the two of them in action once Esmé can crawl. Her little buddy is called Dash, and has truly lived up to his name ... super mobile!
Esmé was great on the plane, and with all of our running around. She's a mellow kid, just happy to be included. We even took her glow-in-the-dark golfing! I put her in a back carry in the Ergo and she loved watching DP's neon yellow ball streaking through the dark.
As for solids, she'll still eat anything! She ate Indian, Greek and Thai while we were away ... a kid after my own heart.
Still no teeth, but she had some super red cheeks lately. That's a sign, right? She's chomping my boob more than usual too. Don't know what that's about.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 PM

I'm an author too, and about to go on a book tour for my first book! I'm a little worried how Katmai will handle all the new places/faces/crowds. I'll be able to leave him with either my husband or relatives for the events (we're only going to cities/towns where we know folks already), but it'll be a lot of traveling.

What do people mean by "pulling up"? In certain situations (sitting in a box), Katmai's been pulling up to stand for months, but he can't do it on a smooth table leg yet (we don't have a couch, so who knows about that).

Lately he's been getting onto hands and feet a lot - like he's trying to do a baby "downward dog" yoga pose. I don't know quite what his plan is for mobility, but he keeps experimenting!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVeryGoodYear View Post
On a PC, hold down ALT and then press "0233" on the number pad to get "é".
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Re Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...9389603&ref=mf
If you click the little 'group' button at the bottom left of your page you will get a page with a list of all the groups you are in and can then click on our ddc group. I'm not sure if there's any quicker way than that.
I tried to join. [thanks!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
I used to let Junes chew on paper and magazines and such but she has choked so many times that i stopped letting her.
We were there, too. No more paper!

Quote:
Still no teeth, but she had some super red cheeks lately. That's a sign, right? She's chomping my boob more than usual too. Don't know what that's about.
Yup, sounds like she's teething big time! Be aware though, that red cheeks can be an allergic sign, too. Throwing in some children's probiotics certainly can't hurt.

Eliza doesn't really seem interested in walking yet, which is fine with me. She's very mobile just with crawling and pulling up and standing and a little bit of cruising. I love watching her just explore everything.

In about a week we will be off to Disneyworld, so I am looking forward to that! We took our oldest son when he was a year old, and then we went again when the boys were 3 and 1, so this will be our third time as a family-- Lizzy's first! DH and I have been there twice before kids, too. I have a feeling that the Ergo will be our best friend this time.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM

the red cheeks made me think allergy before teething.

so there is a contest to win a larger car seat, it is actually one we desperately need because my middlest NEEDS another car seat she is this far away from outgrowing the one in her dad's car. I really really want to win, but you have to have people "like" your comment on the company's facebook page about how to keep the kids busy in the car. I think it is a pretty good comment so I am hoping and hoping. the contest ends oct 10th. I have rallied my friends on facebook to go vote for me. so if anyone on facebook....

in baby news, can someone tell me when our babies stopped being tiny babies? because i swear yesterday i looked at Juniper and can hardly even remember those days.

ALSO who's up for picture sharing? i so desperately want to see all of the other feb babies.

oh and mty washing machien is broken right now and I am hating sposies!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM

I know, I was just telling DH it seems like, overnight she turned into a little toddler!!! Not that she's really walking yet, but still-- it's crazy how big she is!

I have some pictures of Eliza in my profile album: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?albumid=77 but none that are very recent. I have to get a new camera!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Lately he's been getting onto hands and feet a lot - like he's trying to do a baby "downward dog" yoga pose. I don't know quite what his plan is for mobility, but he keeps experimenting!
Royce did that last night for the first time!! And then he couldn't figure out how to get out of it and started crying. He seems to be doing something new everyday making his way towards being mobile!

LTB - I think I added you, there have been a few new requests this week, I have added everyone that has requested. Let me know if you still can't get on.

Lots of us are travelling right now! It sounds like it's going well for everyone which is good. We have a big trip planned for December. We will be driving through the night with the hope that Royce will just sleep. I'm a little worried about it.

Here's a pic of Royce on his potty. I actually really suck at EC, but once in a while I try and potty him, and he looks so cute so I needed a pic of it And I think you can scan through some other photos from that link.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 PM

Gillian-- thanks for the FB group add-- Royce is adorable!!! Those CHEEKS! Lol!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 AM

i see where royce gets those cheeks from. He is such a cutie, totally want to squish his face.

eliza is super cute, you are as well LTB.

here's one of Juniper when we were visiting Colorado, her cheeks are all pink and chapped due to the extreme dryness. Nothing a day and a half back in Florida didn't fix. LOL

Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 PM

Such cute babies! I need to load some recent pics onto the computer and I'll try to get around to posting some of Owyn. She is looking more like her daddy everyday!

Is anyone else's baby not sitting up yet? Owyn loves to roll around on the floor and is just not the kind of kid who is still for a moment. So, she's just never caught on the the whole sitting up on her own thing. She won't sit long enough!

I set her down on the floor on her bottom and as long as she doesn't move, she'll stay that way. But it's not long before she topples over. She is pushing up on her hands and knees, trying like crazy to crawl and has always been able to get at whatever she's after. She is 7 months old now so I just thought she'd be sitting unassisted by now.

User Tag List