February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Phridae!

Fiona turned 9 months old yesterday! We just had our 9 month well baby visit. Fiona is still such a little thing! 15.1 pounds and 26 inches. Our Dr is great! She said she's perfect (we knew that though! ) and that its totally normal to slow down on weight gain. She asked if we wanted to do anymore vaccines. I told her no, she said Ok and that was that! Its nice not to have the pressure. She did recommend we switch to a vitamin with fluoride in it. I'll have to research that some.

I love that video of Juniper! I can't believe some of these babies are on the verge of walking. Fiona is soo not interested! She's pretty content to do a little army crawling a few feet here or there. I think its pretty neat to see how differently these babies are developing.

Happy November!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 03:37 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'm suffering for a serious case of the Mondays over here. Just can't seem to get in the groove.

Michelle, wife to Ken, momma to Noah
Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 AM

Well I'm feeling a bit better about Makenna's not growing. I thought she was still in th 3-6 month sized clothes bc some of her sleepers still fit her. I went through and swapped out her clothes for the 6-9 month ones and now that I am putting those on her I'm finding they totally fit and aren't even big on her. So maybe I was just stuffing her into clothes that were too small. Her 9 month visit is on Thursday so I'll get the official weight and height then.

Love all the baby pics! What a cute video of Juniper. So crazy to see a baby Makenna's size walking. She is pulling up to her knees but hasn't figured out how to get to her feet yet. So close to crawling but still mostly scooting backwards. She just started sitting up from being on her tummy. And she finally slept a night on her tummy...and slept from 7 to 4 that night. Don't know if it's bc her nose was feeling better or bc she was comfy on her belly.

I hope Makenna adjusts to the time change soon! She was wide awake at 4:30 this morning and up at 6 yesterday. We managed to keep her up until her normal bedtime tonight so hopefully she'll sleep later tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Welcome Phridae!

That is a cute video of Juniper.
Katmai loves pulling up to stand, but he's nowhere near the point of independent balance yet. He does the seal-flop sort of belly crawl as his go-to to get across the room quickly, but is just starting to do hands and knees crawl for a few feet (especially on less-slick surfaces).

I haven't weighed him for awhile, but I think he's 18 pounds something - probably average ish. I envy those of you with littler ones though - they're lighter to carry around!

Katmai is absolutely obsessed with object that roll and spin. Especially ones that spin. Each time he sees a new toy or object, he'll bat at it with a funny sort of sweeping motion to see if he can make it spin. Which is especially amusing when he tries it with a wooden block, or that sort of thing.

What are your babies' current obsessions?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 AM

Cindy,
hope you got to sleep a little bit more this morning.

katmai's spinning thing sounds so cute.

Junes one obsessin is putting things in her mouth, despite the choking and almost DYINMG incident. AWESOME! (totaly sarcastic)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Royce is obsessed with anything I don't want him to have (the laptop, my cellphone, his potty, etc...). And anything edible. We ordered pizza the other day and because we just moved in we were sitting on the floor eating. I gave him a breadstick, but because we were eating the pizza that's what he wanted too, so he crawled over and grabbed himself some pizza right out of the box. The look on his face was priceless, he was pretty proud of himself

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 11-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Aleric loves paper, him and one of my cats will both try to play with the same piece of paper on the floor, the cat wants to sit on it, and Aleric wants to eat it. And my blackberry, he tries so hard to try to get his hands on it whenever he can.

I am wondering though, those of you with pets and babies, how do you stop the babies from trying to get into the dogs food and water?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 AM

Makenna crawled tonight! She only made it a little ways before flopping and then dragging herself on her tummy to the toy we were bribing her with but she did it a few times. I guess I need to watch out now! BTW the toy was a cat ball...she's obsessed with it!

Makenna just started getting into the cat food when I set her on the floor in the kitchen. My picky eater who won't touch veggies or fruit tried to immediately shove some in her mouth but thankfully I got to her in time. I think this weekend we'll be finishing our baby proofing which includes a gate into the kitchen so she won't have free access to the cat dishes. I feel bad for the cats bc I've had the put up their favorite mice toys bc they are a choking hazard...and the cat likes to bring it to the baby as a present.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 AM

Cindy, we have some cat toys that Noah likes too. Like poof balls that are sparkly. Its funny to watch though, because he goes to put it in his mouth but it tickles, so he switches hands and tries with the other hand thinking maybe it'll be better from this hand. And the mice with the feather tails, the faces he makes!
Congrats on crawling! Noah just started last week, so thankfully he's not that quick yet.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 PM

these things your baby's are doing sound sooo cute.

we put our cat food outside and the dog food in the laundry wgere she can't get it.

junes it turns out loves raisin carrot bran muffins.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM

well heard back from Juniper's doctor, we are headed back to the ER to get another X-ray. it's been 5 days, no quarter and not nearly enough poops for her average.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Owyn loves things that spin too! She has been obsessed with them since she was about 4 months old, from the very first time I put her in the exersaucer and she found the spinny toy on it. She looks for something to spin on everything and once she finds it she'll squeal with delight and spin it over and over again. I'm glad she can entertain herself!

She has started letting go of whatever she is standing up to. But I don't think she realizes she's standing. She likes to stand up to the coffee table and smack at it with both hands. She'll raise both her hands above her head and stay there for a few seconds, then start smacking at it again. She also loves to pull up to the front door and look outside. She'll lean against the wall beside it and just stand there, not holding onto anything.

We had a new TV delivered yesterday. One we can hang on the wall. We were borrowing one from my ILs, the old school big screen that takes up half the room. Now that it's out, we have so much space in our living room. I rearranged all of Owyn's toys and she loves her new play space! Everything isn't just jammed into a corner anymore, there's room to spread it out without it looking so cluttered.

We are dealing with some yeast issues. It's starting to clear since we finally caved and got her a prescription cream. Should I bleach her diapers to make sure there isn't any in them? If so, how much bleach should I use?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM

Mal, I have read various things in the diapering forum about yeast. You may want to post over there. I think that you do need to do something about the yeast in the diapers. There may be other options besides yeast though... maybe tea tree oil or grape seed extract. I don't really know all of the logistics there.

So fun to read the new tricks these kiddos have! Fiona decided last night to pull out all the stops! She started to rock on hands and knees (still using the army crawl to go forward though), put herself into sitting (she's been sitting for a while but i have to put her into a sitting position), and pull herself up on furniture! It all happened so fast. We were playing on the floor together before dinner and she did all of those new things in a span of about 30 minutes. This would probably explain her restless sleep and non stop night nursing lately! Watch out world, here she comes!

We moved our dog food and water to the garage. They just stand by the door to the garage to let us know they want water now.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 PM

that's awesome that Fiona did all that.

Mal i second the diaper forums for that question. i just bleached mine when we had yeast but i think you can use more natural stuff.

got back from the hospital. the quarter is still in her stomach and we have an appt. with a gastroenterologist at 4 today. (it's been 5 days)

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Courtney, I'm sending good thoughts your way and praying that the quarter comes out easily! Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Oh my - sending happy thoughts your way Thursday Girl!! Keep us posted!

Cindy

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 PM

so they scheduled an endoscopy for Monday, hopefully the quarter comes out first so we can cancel it. they would have to put her under for the procedure. I would really like to not do that.

so who else thinks it is super cute and funny when they miss your nipple while nursing and peak around like chickens?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
so they scheduled an endoscopy for Monday, hopefully the quarter comes out first so we can cancel it. they would have to put her under for the procedure. I would really like to not do that.

so who else thinks it is super cute and funny when they miss your nipple while nursing and peak around like chickens?
I'll be praying for her to pass it on her own so she doesn't have to go through that. Poor little girl!

I also think the chicken thing is hilarious. She'll sometimes find my arm and go to town for a second until she realizes it's not the boob.

My good friend is having a sonogram tomorrow. She's either 13 weeks or 17 weeks along. She's hoping further along so they can find out the gender. I'm super excited for her!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM

oh that is exciting. I hope my two friends who are trying get pregnant soon.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:17 PM

I just found out yesterday that my friend who has been trying since we first got pregnant is expecting twins!! I'm thrilled and sooo excited for her! I can't imagine twins!

I'm always amused at Makenna's zeal for the boob these days. :-)

Cindy

Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Great news Cindy!

I hope the quarter passes without any issues Courtney. You had me laughing at the chicken reference!

Mal, you could try some vinegar in the rise cycle of your wash and hot water. Depending on the weather where you are, the sun will help too. Heat kills the yeasties.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 AM

Makenna's 9 month visit was yesterday. 16 lbs 15 ounces and 26.75 inches. Gained 14 ounces in 2 months. 25% for height and weight..which she had always been except last time she was 25% height and 40% weight. Dr wasn't concerned that her weight % dropped but said she would get concerned if it kept dropping...it's normal right now.

My pediatrician had the H1N1 vaccine and we ended up getting it. We had gone to playgroup the day before and after the babies had been playing and sharing toys one of the moms said that her baby had played with a boy who came down with the swine flu 6 days before...it has a 7 day incubation period and you are contagious the day before you get sick! Hopefully my friend and her baby are safe from it but I thought it was REALLY irresponsible to bring a potentially contagious baby around a bunch of other babies! It really freaked me out how easily Makenna could catch it and I'm not willing to hide out in the house all winter. And the baby who did get it had to go to he emergency room his fever got so high...I don't want to see my baby go through that. I was super glad the dr had it so we didn't have to wait in a long line at a clinic. My sister waited 5 hours with her kids!

Makenna learned to clap today! So so cute! :-)

Happy weekend everyone!

Cindy

Old 11-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Glad you got some reassuring news about Makenna, Cindy. I've been trying not to worry about H1N1 virus. I know the media hypes it up, and I'm not easily fooled usually. I just don't like when she's sick and it's going around our town really bad right now. I haven't been sheltering her anymore than usual, but keeping an eye out for symptoms. I doubt we'll get the vaccine. I just don't trust brand new vaccinations...

Owyn's yeast problem seems to be going away. I didn't take her out of cloth right away and I noticed the cream would help overnight, then it would actually get worse again during the day. So, she's in sposies for now. We're missing quite a few diapers, I tend to leave them places and forget about them when I use them as burp cloths. So, we're trying to scrounge them all together before bleaching them, to make sure we get them all at once. She's so skinny with these sposies on, this girl has absolutely not butt to speak of. It's so funny!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM

I think you can actually get the H1N1 flu from the vaccine. There was a Navy ship in which every single member had been vaccinated and yet 70% of the sailors got the H1N1 flu and the whole ship was quarantined at sea. Oh, plus the fact that CBS found that the CDC has been lying about how many H1N1 cases there have been, actually, most people had some other strain of the flu. Very, very few people have actually had the H1N1 flu, and those that have had it, it was less dangerous than the usual flus that go around. Then there is the concern that the risks of the toxins in the shot are potentially far more dangerous than the flu. We've been sick for about three weeks out of this fall, so far, and probably with the flu-- we are zinc deficient and so we have weaker immune systems. It's not that big of a deal though-- just the flu.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Fiona has started to say bye bye! Its so darn cute! She first said it when the daycare kids were leaving. I wasn't sure at first but she said it again clear as day! I was amazed that she said it without prompting. We don't give babies enough credit for their intelligence! Now she is saying it pretty much every time someone leaves the house. I love it!

Her signing is taking off too. She has been signing milk for a while but used it for everything. She's starting to just use it for nursing now and has signed "more" off and on while we are eating as well. Her newest is dog. She pats her leg and says p-p-p-p. (we always call our dogs her puppy dogs) This is so exciting!!!

Thursday Girl: How is Juniper doing? I've been thinking about you guys. Is the quarter out?! You should save it for her baby book! Seriously though, I'm hoping that everything went well and she is feeling ok. Let us know!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Oh, Eliza has started putting words together-- kind of. Like, she'll say, "bed bed bed bed bed da da da da da" when she wants Daddy to come to bed with us. It is sooo cute!!! Especially hearing her say "bed". She LOVES cuddling in bed. It's probably her favorite activity besides exploring the house on her knees. She asks for "bed bed bed" all the time.

Also, she absolutely adores the boys' bedroom. It's completely babyproofed (still, from their toddler days, and I don't allow any tiny chokable toys in their reach.) So I can let her crawl around in their by herself-- their bed is on the floor and she loves cuddling up with their stuffed animals and playing with their toys. It is so sweet. She also scrounges for the boys' crumbs like a starving child, greedily stuffing them in her mouth saying "mmmm num num num num num". She is such a little toddler now! Not quite walking, though, still just cruising. She's wearing size 12 or 18 months, depending. I'm still reeling at the cost of sizing up her wardrobe again. Ugh.

But I just love this age!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM

oh sorry i should have updated. while we were waiting to get the x-ray she pooped and in her diaper was a dime! we got the x-ray anywyas to make sure she hadn't swallowed another coin and went and waited at the surgery place, but that was it. Just a dime. It is indeed in the baby book. Jewel thought i should put it in with the poop and was dissappointed that i washed it first.

junes has said a few words but she doesn't say anything besides "mama" or "dada" consistently. She waves bye, and has been for awhile but i guess i forgot to tell my sister b/c she went ape when juniper waved bye.
She has been takign one or two steps, but last night she took 7-8 steps.

she is sick and oh so fussy. the whole house is snotty, coughy and generally down. need to see what I can do.

one of Jewely's friends has the flu (and they told us it was swine flu, but i thought the test had to be sent away, have they come up with a one day test?) I've heard from people who just went to the doctors with the flu and they didn't even test for the swine flu, which tells me that the swine flu isn't as bad as they are making it out to be. I had the flu of some sort or another. the headache the fever, my whole body was literally achey and in pain. it sucked and then it sort of got better. we are still coughing and snotty but we don't feel bad at all. well i don't. the kids do. they never had fevers though

Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Wonderful news about the dime! That's great!
Esmé is waving, cruising, and chatting. No real sense to the words yet, but she goes on and on, having long discussions with herself and her toys and her dog and her cat and her parents and the strangers on the bus and anyone else who will listen. She does say "mama" and "baba."
Still no teeth! Are we the only ones? She eats EVERYTHING that we eat, but without teeth. Last night it was turkey meatloaf with spinach, asparagus and roasted squash. She noshed down happily on all of it ... she is the master gummer!
And she won't let us even attempt to feed her ... she HAS to do it herself. So anything 'soupy' I have to add rice cereal to it to make it mash so she can feed herself. It's an adventure in messiness every time!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Glad the dime came through!

Katmai was sick for the first time ever last weekend. Just a fever though, and he got better in a couple days.

Cruising on furniture here as well, and starting to mix up the seal flop scoch with a bit of standard crawling. He can say mama and sign for milk, but nothing else has meaning. He's a pretty quiet guy actually.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Hi Starling: Still no teeth here either and no signs that they will be here soon. She's not really interested in her teething toys. Makenna has to feed herself too and I offer all sorts of things but she's fairy picky and sticks mostly to grains. Hrmph. Does Esme feed herself with a spoon or with her fingers? I so wish Makenna could eat some spoonable foods! I'm going to try giving her blobs of yogurt to eat by hand (a friend does that with her babe) but I'm guessing the texture will turn her off.

Makenna is full on crawling now and pulling up...which is making nap time a nightmare! Can't wait for the pulling up instead of sleeping phase to pass. She just started making the mama sound and started clapping and copying some baby signs. And finally yesteday figured out how to jump in her jumperoo. I feel like she does something new every day now. It's so fun to watch!

Cindy

User Tag List