February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1064 Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some of us AF return is not related to how much we are nursing. DD never has had a bottle. She did not have any solids until 6.5 mo yet I got AF back at about 10 weeks. 10 weeks! She also nurses like a champ...she doubled her birth weight by 5 months--this after a month in the nicu and only getting bm the last two weeks there. AF returned at 4 months with ds--same story...great nurser...no bottles...Some of us are just lucky I guess

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#482 of 1064 Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 PM

Yeah, Royce still nurses a ton, including every few hours through the night, and I got mine back. I did make it 9 months though so I guess I can't really complain.

So, I'm seriously getting a bit worried about the whole 'might be pregnant' thing. I don't know whether I'm just thinking about it all the time so I'm noticing things that I normally wouldn't notice. I don't have any tests left (I'd been using ones leftover from ttc Royce). I think I will give it another week. I don't want to spend the money on a test just to have af show up. Oh well... I'm probably not...

Anyway...

Royce is 10 months old today!! Where is the time going?!?! He has been starting to sleep a lot better (except tonight, he's still awake babbling away as I type this). But lately he has been going to sleep fairly easily and sleeping solid 3 hour chunks. And he's been going down easily for his naps (usually 1-2 hours). I think he's getting tired now though, so I may try again to get him to sleep

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#483 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 AM

Hi all, I hope you don't mind if I join you here... my DD was born 12/31/08, obviously not in February! BUT.. she was due 02/22/09, so she is about the same place developmentally as the babies born in February. She is doing wonderfully thus far and is the absolute light of my life!

However... I do have a question. We co-sleep and practice our version of attachment parenting, all of which is great. But...there doesn't seem to be a place or time in any of this for sex.

DD won't sleep for long if I put her down, so she naps in my arms and goes to bed when I do. She does play on the floor on her own some, but always with supervision.

We live far from family and are new to our area so there isn't anyone who can take her for an hour or two now and then. (and I can't imagine having someone sit just so hubby and I can have sex, lol)

Soooo... my question is when an where are DH and I supposed to do the Deed?? We've managed a few times after I took her to bed and then got back up after she was out.. but that rarely works.

Sorry if this is tmi or the wrong place to bring this up, but I figured that those with babies at the same stage would know what I'm talking about. We aren't ttc or anything.. just missing a little somethin.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#484 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 AM

Artic Rose: We don't cosleep anymore but even when DD was sleeping in the pack and play in our room we had a similar issue (and she did until 6 months). We put the couch to good use! But at least we were able to get her to go down alone.

Anyone doing baby signs? Makenna just started using a few..it's so cool! Makes me really excited to teach her as many as I can remember. She does milk, more, all done, dog and today she copied me doing bird - but not at a real bird yet. She's also clapping and waving and turning pages of books. I guess she finally figured out how to control her hands all the sudden. :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#485 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Gillian- the dollar store has $1 pregnancy tests. they have them behind the counter. They work great.

artic rose- we co-sleep, just go to the other side of the bed if the baby is asleep and be quiet.

Juniper is still sick, as is Josephine. I want to be able to do somethign to get this sickness out of the house it just gets passed around from one person to another. any suggestions? I made a thread about it in health I am not sure if anyone has responded yet. Off to check.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#486 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Just wondering about napping and sleeping? Are your los still taking 2 naps a day? Do they have any kind of schedule? My dd wakes about 6:30 and goes down for her 1st nap about 9:30 and sleeps about 1.5-2 hours. She has started taking a lat afternoon nap...about 4 for another hour or so. Sometimes she skips the 2nd nap. Bedtime is about 7:30 give or take about 30 minutes. How well (or poorly) she sleeps at night changes daily!

#487 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 PM

I think Makenna still needs 2 naps but she is often only getting 1 now. She wakes around 7 or 7:30 and goes down 2 hours later for 1.5-2 hours (I cosleep for this nap so she goes down no problem and sleeps great). She typically gets tired again around 2:30 and if we are in the car or someplace that helps her sleep she will definitely fall asleep right away. Problem is trying to put her down in her crib...now that she pulls to standing it has become impossible! So we have been trying but ending up with no nap. I'm not willing to take a 2nd nap with her! I have tried to get her to fall asleep on my lap and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't bc she wants to go play. She does get cranky but not nearly as cranky as she used to if she missed her afternoon nap. Bedtime is 7 but we start the routine at 6:15 or 6:30 to get ready. BTW if she does take an afternoon nap it's usually only 20-30 minutes. I'm pondering trying to make the morning nap later?

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#488 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM

ArticRose: I also second the couch or spare room. Its always a worry that she will wake up as she is a light sleeper. This too shall pass...

We're signing here! It is so much fun. Fiona does milk, all done, and puppy. Sometimes she does more but not consistently. She watches me for signs as we read and go about our day so I think she'll be adding more. She has done duck and ball a few times.

She is talking more and more! Along with Mama and Papa she says bye bye, hi, ball, and pupu for puppy. She also loves to do animal sounds. If I ask her what does a sheep say she'll baa... she also does cow, goat, and a funny little noise for pig. What's cool is that she'll do it weather we are reading, looking at a puzzle or whatever. It is not just her response to one thing. I need to get this on video!

Aggh Sleep! Well Fiona wakes up between 7:30 and 8 most mornings. She'll take a morning nap around 10-10:30 but these are only lasting around 45 minutes. She often skips this nap. Her afternoon nap is at about 1:30 or 2:00 for about 2 hours. She goes to bed at 9:00. She stirs a lot in her sleep to nurse but I usually just wake up for her to latch on and fall back asleep.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#489 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Hmm...naps.

Aubrey is in daycare so they nap her for about 2-3 hours total, 2 or 3 times a day. She goes to sleep at the first sign of sleepiness after 7:00 p.m. (so sometimes it's 8:00 but never 6:50) and wakes herself up at 6:30 a.m. Obviously lots of nursing through the night. Going to sleep earlier has made a world of difference for us. She still hates going to sleep but those 1hr + screaming sessions (with me, at the boob, with Huz, you name it) are mostly gone now that she's going to bed earlier. I'm really grateful for that. I'm also trying the NCSS...not sure if it's working but it makes me feel more sane to have a strategy.

Still no words or signs here, but here's hoping!

#490 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
ArcticRose - We've used the couch, the bed when she's in the spare room where there's a mattress on the floor, said mattress on the floor when she's in the main bed (platform, low to the ground as we co-sleep as well), and a few other choice locations. My worry is that we'll be 'close' and she'll wake up and cry. Hasn't happened yet. We're acing the 'quickie.'

Sleep and naps - I've been wondering about this too. Right now, Esmé wakes around 0800, then naps from 1100-1200, then again from about 1500-1600 and then goes down for the night about 2100. I think we could maybe go down to one nap ... soon. Not quite yet though. The couple of days that she's had one consolidated nap or no afternoon nap she's melted down after dinner and been too over-tired to settle. I think it's coming though. She's been very restless at night lately (teething?) and so is needing a little more sleep during the night.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#491 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Well, Maia's finally officially walking. She is all over the place! It's hilarious, and I'm so proud of her, but it's also kind of heart breaking to see her being so independent.
#492 of 1064 Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I guess our problem is that she never sleeps away from me. She is either in my arms or next to me in bed. She is such a light sleeper that it is very rare that I can get out of bed without waking her. Those rare occasions are the few times we have had sex. And during a few of those times she woke, crying.. kind of a mood killer, lol.

We can't do anything in bed while she is sleeping there, she barely sleeps through hubby getting into bed!

I guess I just need to be patient, she will eventually sleep without me... right?? I'd rather miss out on sex than have her not sleep!

Should I be concerned that she doesn't talk yet? She babbles, but hasn't said anything recognizable yet. She has been working really hard on learning to stand and shuffle around things, maybe talking will come after she gets walking down.

She is such a happy baby! She cracks me up all the time... I had no idea I would love being a mother so much!

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#493 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 AM

Good question about the naps! Camryn was taking 2 naps a day (with a 3rd sometimes) up until recently. (She was born on V-Day) Lately, she's taking her morning nap much later -- as in 11-ish and stays down for around 2 hours.

The problem with the later a.m. nap is that she then took her 2nd nap later -- 4:00. Then, the problem with the 4:00 nap is that it's too late and it makes her stay up later and get overtired for bedtime. So, I have been keeping her active through that 4:00 time period and putting her to bed around 6:30. This seems to solve it (so far) and she's back to sleeping soundly.

Do your babes like it when you read to them? Camryn still doesn't seem that interested and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. She just wants to grab the book and chew on it.
#494 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM

Heinz: Makenna only recently started sitting and looking while I read. She gets super excited though - talking and flailing her arms. Her big thing now is turning the pages when it's time (and sometimes before). Books are her favorite toys right now. She is constantly sitting and looking through them.

Cindy

#495 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Owyn will not sit still when I try to read to her, but loves to sit and look when I'm reading a magazine. I still read to her though, but most of the time it's while she plays and I just read aloud.

As for naps, these are getting interesting lately. She usually wakes between 7-7:30. She goes down for her a.m. nap around 9:30-10 and that lasts anywhere from 45 min-1.5 hours. More often it's been 45 min lately. Then, she's up until 1:30-2. She takes an afternoon nap, usually for 1.5 hours, sometimes 2 hours. And she stays up until bedtime, around 8:00.

There are a lot of days when she'll only nap once, an earlier afternoon nap. If that's her only nap, she'll sleep at least 2 hours. I think naps will actually get easier once she completely does away with her morning nap. She seems to need it less and less, and sleeps much better at night when she's only had one nap during the day. But some days, she's just a bear if she goes all morning without a nap. My rule of thumb, especially on the weekends when we get out a lot, is that she must have one good nap a day. The other nap isn't nearly as important as long as she's entertained in some way.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#496 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post
Gillian- the dollar store has $1 pregnancy tests. they have them behind the counter. They work great.
Oh thanks - I forgot about that! I am in Canada though, so we may not up here, but I'm going to the Dollarama today to check. I took an opt yesterday and it was negative (you are supposed to be able to use those as hpts). It has been 33 days since my last af (which was my first pp af), my breasts have definitely been very full feeling and tender, but maybe that's just pms. I have had an increase in cm, and I think I can feel my uterus firming up (but this one may just be in my head).

As for your question, I have no idea about the sickness passing around. I didn't think you could catch the same cold twice. Is it just that your family isn't getting a chance for your immune system to build up after one cold and therefore you are more susceptable to the next one? Maybe just some immune building stuff would help? I don't know though, I'm not very knowledgable on this sort of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillet View Post
Just wondering about napping and sleeping? Are your los still taking 2 naps a day? Do they have any kind of schedule?
Royce takes 2 naps a day for the most part. We wake up about 8am, he goes down for a nap at 10 or so (usually for an hour), then another nap in the afternoon, usually for 2 hours. He doesn't have a very strict schedule though, this is just an average. And it depends on our activities for the day too. Bedtime is just whenever he gets tired, could be as early as 7 or as late as 10, and also depends on whether we're out visiting or at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz28 View Post
Do your babes like it when you read to them? Camryn still doesn't seem that interested and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. She just wants to grab the book and chew on it.
Yeah, Royce just wants to grab the book and chew it. Sometimes I'll give him a book to play with and then read to him from another one. And it helps if I sit on a chair and he's on the floor with his book.

Arctic Rose - we had this problem for a long time too. Just recently we got a double mattress for Royce which is in his own room. He goes down for his naps there, and gets put to bed there. This frees up our bedroom for the evening. And then I bring him to our bed when he wakes to nurse at some point through the night. It's made a huge difference. But obviously, he is sleeping up to 3 hours on his own, this wouldn't work if we couldn't actually leave him on his own mattress.

#497 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 AM

heinz28 they say it's good to let them chew on the books. let them dictate story time. if they want to tur pages and you read in a weird order thats fine. I second the give them a book to chew on while you read from another.

naps- Junes take 1-2 naps a day. if it's one nap it tends to be a longer nap about one and a half hours. if it is two naps it tends to be more like half an hour each. she goes to bed around 8:30. wakes up around 7:30 and latches on a couple of times in the night.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#498 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Wow catching up here. I haven't checked in since b4 Halloween. It just seems so surreal that your babes are talking already. My son didn't talk or attempt to talk until 20 mos. Delia started to crawl a couple of weeks ago and now just go go goes. She needs to be held frequently and then squirms to get down and do it again. I have 76 days left until I go back to work so I am soaking them up. We were having major sleep issues since she decided to pop through 8 teeth in 2 months 2 at a time with only a slight break between. Seems like we are on another of those slight breaks thank goodness.
Courteny: How much Vit D is your family taking? You can really ramp it up when there is a current infection along with the Vit. C. Try burning some essential oils to cleanse the air and wiping down all surfaces with a vinegar, baking soda and tea tree oil combo. The other thing that worked for us was raw garlic and lots of it. I made hummus, garlic bread, caesar salad. Whatever I could put it in I did. We are sickness free.
We are dealing with allergies here to. My son is allergic to soy and silly me never realized there is soy in chocolate . So after Halloween he really reacted. D has been having constipation issues so I am took out the rice puffs and bananas and gave her some lentils and peaches and pears. Seems to be helping although I think all her straining hurt her poor bum. She still whines a lot when she poops even though it's soft again. I was beginning to suspect wheat but she had french toast yesterday and no red bum yet. Fingers crossed since I have another carb loving baby. I've been switching it up for buckwheat and rye though. I make all my own bread because of ds's allergy.
D stood up at the stairs yesterday. This made me think oh crap I'm so not ready for her to pull up yet that means babyproofing on another level.
With my 3.5yr old there are lots of chokables around although he is getting very good at taking them from D even though she screams at him. She loves paper too. It's so much harder to babyproof with an older one around. We had 2 choking episodes, one on a cooked carrot and one on a bagel. My SIL was present both times and totally freaked out. I'm an RN so I just flipped her over and it came out. Dh though didn't even move so I'm hoping that he will react if he is in a situation by himself. He has CPR but no first aid so maybe I will make him take that.
Loved all the pics of the little ones so cute!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#499 of 1064 Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM

We have to scale back on the solid food, Eliza has started reacting to something. She has some scaly dry spots on her skin and a diaper rash and her chin is all red and she isn't sleeping as well as she always has. The teething is part of it, but she's never reacted to teething like that before. She's NEVER had a diaper rash before. Soooo . . . hmmm. I'll figure out the culprit.

You know what is so cute, is how attached she is to her daddy! She gets so excited when he gets home from work, she just wiggles and jumps for joy and makes a beeline for him to give him a BIIIGGG baby hug! Soooo sweet!

She was 9 pounds at birth and she doubled her weight at like 5 months or something. I am kind of curious how much she weighs now. She is growing very tall but kind of skinnying-out a little. She hasn't been weighed in a couple months-- she was 21 pounds then. Our scale broke this summer and I haven't replaced it yet. She is in between 12 month clothing and 18 month clothing-- sometimes the 12 months is too small, and sometimes the the 18 months is too big. I have to bring her with me to shop for her, now, otherwise I won't know if it will fit or not!

Sex-- we pounce on each other when Eliza goes down for a nap now. Otherwise it would never happen (she sometimes isn't down for the night till 10 or 11.) We usually pounce on each other on the couch.

Naps-- she takes about 3 a day. I LOVE that. Now if only she'd go to bed at an earlier hour!!!

Eliza likes reading but she wants to eat the pages, too.

ETA: oh, and AF has not come back yet! Yay!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#500 of 1064 Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 AM

How did ya'll get your wee ones to nap somewhere other than in your arms? DD normally takes two or three naps a day, ranging from 45 min to 2 hours, but only if I hold her. If I try to put her down she wakes up. If I can get her to sleep on the couch or bed, I may be able to slip away, but she always wakes within ten minutes.

I had resigned myself to being a nap mattress, but seeing as so many of you are able to put yours down for their naps, I thought I would ask if there is some trick to it that I'm missing.

The good news is that she is finally starting to play on her own for extended periods. Until a week ago or so she would only play on her own for about ten minutes, then she needed mommy on the floor with her or to be in the carrier. Lately she has been good on her own for an hour or two at a time (as long as I'm in sight most of the time) I am getting so much done! Yay!!!

Bad news is that I think I have another milk blockage and I HURT!

DD has loved books since she was very tiny. It's only when she is teething that she tries to eat them.. which is all the time lately.

She has only had one diaper rash, last month, and I think it was due to a change in brands of disposables. We use cloth about 80% of the time (and do some EC) but we had been traveling, so she was in them 100% for a week. After she broke out I tried everything to clear it up (cloth, coconut oil, corn starch, Butt Paste) it wouldn't go away! I finally did a couple of days with NO diapers at all (oye! she pees five times night!) and it cleared up and hasn't been back, even when we took another trip.

I can't believe how completely infatuated I am with her. Iknew I would love her, but I didn't know it would be like this. I might not have waited til I was 36 to have her if I'd known how it would be!

I'm so glad I found a place to prattle on about my favorite subject.

#501 of 1064 Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRose View Post
How did ya'll get your wee ones to nap somewhere other than in your arms? DD normally takes two or three naps a day, ranging from 45 min to 2 hours, but only if I hold her. If I try to put her down she wakes up. If I can get her to sleep on the couch or bed, I may be able to slip away, but she always wakes within ten minutes.
We have the same problem. I still haven't figured out the cues entirely. Sometimes I try putting Siggi down once he falls asleep, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Usually my rule for trying is either do I really need to get up (say I have to do something) or is he not overtired (if he has had 2 messed up naps already, I won't want to mess with him). Then I try to figure out if he is deeply asleep (limp limbs and so on). My husband has a trick of starting to put him down and picking him right up again if he starts to wake, but for some reason for me I am not fast enough and if he starts to wake, he is up.
#502 of 1064 Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, lots of updates! Fun to see what everyone's doing! Averygoodyear-look at her go!!

Anthony is crawling everywhere and pulling himself up. He lets go of whatever he pulled up on and stands by himself for up to a minute or so. He went from one piece of furnature to another yesterday, so I think walking is coming soon! I hope he doesn't do it over Thanksgiving-the kids and I are going to see my parents and DH would be sad to miss his first steps I think.

Re: naps, I think it is largely personality as to whether they'll nap alone. DD (now 8) never wanted to sleep away from me. She still insists that someone lay with her until she falls asleep. DS1 has always slept better on his own-in the crib or his own bed. He would toddle off and dissapear and I'd find him curled up asleep somewhere. Anthony is a mix of the 2. He nurses to sleep and I can put him down in the crib for naps, but won't stay asleep there at night-has to be in bed with us.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#503 of 1064 Old 11-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRose View Post
How did ya'll get your wee ones to nap somewhere other than in your arms?
It has been a gradual process. And I still can't put him down if he falls asleep in my arms. I nurse him to sleep lying down with him, and then quietly roll away and then get up and leave. But I have to do it very very carefully, otherwise he wakes up. He is getting better though (in that I don't have to be quite as careful as I used to be). The first thing I started doing was unlatching him when his nursing slowed (like the Pantly Pull Off), so that he wasn't nursing into a deep sleep. He is usually sort of asleep when I remove my boob, but not completely conked out. And obviously if he wakes and cries he gets the boob again and we try again. After I mastered this, I would just start rolling away when he was done nursing, and I would stay next to him for a while (or the whole nap at first), but just not actually cuddled next to him. Finally I started quietly sitting up and then leaving the bed. It helps if you have a quiet mattress and a quiet floor . I have tried to do this at a friends house who has very squeaky old wood floors, and he almost always wakes up. It has been getting better and better over time. And now he will sleep up to 3 hours on his own, and will go back to sleep even if he wakes and notices I'm not there (I've heard him stir, but then when I peak in he's sleeping again - although if he sees me peek in, then he will cry and I have to help him back to sleep).
Anyway, I hope some of this info helps you. But it could very well just be her personality. to you though, it's so hard to not get some free time.

As for me, I'm happy to report that I am not pregnant! (Well, mostly happy, maybe a little disappointed ). I took a test this morning and got a Big Fat Negative. It's better this way, and I know that, but there was still a tiny part of me that was excited at the idea of being pregnant. *sigh* oh well...

#504 of 1064 Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM

haha gillian that is how i get away too. although sometimes i can lay her down if she falls alseep in my arms but mostly not.

sorry your not pregnant.

baby bbl.

#505 of 1064 Old 11-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Ok here are some status check up questions for you peoples:

1. Is your Feb. 09 baby getting clingy now? Or not yet? Or was he/she already?

My Nigel is just starting to get really upset when you leave the room, or when he thinks you're about to pick him up or you don't, and demanding physical contact all the time, and wanting a specific person. I've heard this is about the time for separation anxiety to kick in, but he still loves to be held by anyone, regardless of whether he's ever met them before.

2. Is anyone's baby able to get from lying down to sitting up by himself?

If so, please tell me how on Earth they do this, so I can help Nigel practice!

3. Hard consonants! Who's got consonants?

Nigel started with M and D and now has B, N, and G. In the process of randomly babbling, he has recently said "Am-an-da" (just WEIRD to hear your 9 month old baby say your name, even by accident) and "Obama". (No no, I told him, say Ron Paul.)

4. Crawling?

My little dude is alternately dragging himself on forearms and scooting forward with his legs with face still touching the ground. And only if you put him down on his stomach and put a really enticing toy just out of arm's reach in front of him. It's a start. Sometimes he cheats and spends 15 minutes rolling over and back, scooching forward two inches each time.

5. Anyone had a patch of trouble with dairy? Did you come out of it, and if so, how?

Before September, Nigel was a great sleeper! But he didn't sleep for more than 45 minutes for the past 2.5 months, always waking up hard to console. We tried various things, but finally some friends said to try giving him some Lactaid in water before each nursing, and I did. Lo! It's been three days since then, and three glorious nights of sound sleep! He's so much happier!

So I'm wondering if anyone else went through that, or is going through that, and has anyone else had a patch of lactose/milk trouble, and if so, was anyone's temporary? They tell me it can be temporary and NO ONE in my or my husband's family is lactose intolerant, so here's hoping. I've heard 20,000 different suggestions and I'm wondering what's working for people how, or if anyone's baby is eating dairy without trouble at this age.

And, for extra credit...
6. How much energy does it take to throw your attention out in 42,000 directions a minute as your LO tirelessly tries to grab every single thing within three feet of you as you're holding him? And how often does she succeed in grabbing something disastrously? And how often is that because you're addled by sleeplessness and on a 10-second delay?

I mean, seriously.
:yawning
#506 of 1064 Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM

*Makenna got stranger anxiety around 5-6 months and is over now - thank goodness! At 6 months old it took 3 days before my mom could hold her and she would only last 5 minutes at the Y childcare. Now I can hand her to anyone and she is fine at childcare for the whole time I work out. Yay!

*Makenna can sit up but usually she backs up into sitting from her tummy or crawling rather than actually doing a sit up. She tries to do that from nursing, etc and can't quite get it.

*No consonants here other than the mama, dada, baba. I think she tries to say kitty and cat but not positive.

4. Crawling?
*Makenna started crawling right at 9 months. She's quite fast now after 2 weeks!

My child is letting me feed her more foods now!! Hooray! I feel like she is just getting really interested in food and needing to have it when she sees us eating in the past couple weeks. Late bloomer. So happy when I get non starchy foods into her!

Cindy

#507 of 1064 Old 11-22-2009, 04:31 AM

She's definitely more clingy when someone new is around. If it's just us (me and/or hubby), she just wants one of us within sight. If someone else is around, she seems to demand to be held and face out, as if she can assess the new person.

If you mean laying flat and getting herself into a sitting position, yes, she does this constantly by twisting to her side and pushing up. Is that what you mean? It makes changing diapers very difficult these days.

Still nothing here. She doesn't even really say da-da or ma-ma yet. Just ahhh and oohhh and ewww.

4. Crawling?

Yes, she's crawling like crazy and now I understand why everyone always said "be careful what you wish for." She started out with the army crawl and just in the last week or so has moved to full torso-lifted coordinated crawl. She still reverts to the low-crawl when the wood floor gets too slippery and she can't hold herself up on her knees.

5. Anyone had a patch of trouble with dairy? Did you come out of it, and if so, how?

That's really interesting about the lactaid. Glad you figured that out! sleeping for 45 minutes at a time?!!!--- that would be the end of me. My daughter still isn't into food but we still offer it every day.

And, for extra credit...
6. How much energy does it take to throw your attention out in 42,000 directions a minute as your LO tirelessly tries to grab every single thing within three feet of you as you're holding him? And how often does she succeed in grabbing something disastrously? And how often is that because you're addled by sleeplessness and on a 10-second delay?

That's how I feel about her crawling now. I will turn around for a second, or go to the bathroom (while still looking out) and I feel like she vanishes at times. Makes my heart stop. The good news is that we have a lot of hard wood floors so I can generally hear her crawling still. The bad news is that her mobility has quickly revealed all the baby proofing weaknesses in my house. Yes, that's when the sleep deprivation kicks in and I resort to blocking the 'danger' area with a box.
#508 of 1064 Old 11-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Not really. If he's tired, or the situation is really overwhelming/scary, then yes he will cling. But just in general, no. He's always been very social.

Yes, from crawling, he will pull his knees under and then push back onto his butt. I'm not sure if you can teach a baby to do that though

Well, he just babbles. He will say 'mama' but only when he's upset/crying and then it comes out. He also babbles dadada, bababa, papapa, etc.

4. Crawling?

He really took off with 'real' crawling (hands and knees) at about 9.5 months. He first went forward at about 8.5 months, but something really clicked the one day and he just took off and can now move anywhere he wants - including on hardwood. He is also really into pulling up to standing on anything (including just a smooth wall), and then walking along while holding on. He does that like a pro!

We haven't had this issue, although we don't eat a lot of dairy.

And, for extra credit...

I completely understand! I try and keep things put away if he can't have them - remove the temptation! And I keep thinking about how much worse it'll be when he's walking! Yikes!

#509 of 1064 Old 11-22-2009, 02:43 PM

We have the typical stranger stuff but overall not too bad.

Yes very mibile baby here!

Lots of babbling--b, d, m and k sounds

4. Crawling?

Yes for a while now

No

And, for extra credit...

LOts and lots of energy. DD has knocked over many glasses while I am holding her. Also has pulled out electrical cords--while I am holding her. Not to mention just grabbing on to something so that it jerks her arm as I keep walking .

#510 of 1064 Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM

A Very Good Year: I just watched the video of Maia walking!! Congrats! That's SO cool. She's so young too! Adorable. You must be so proud.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page