February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
First ... 9  17  18  19 20  21  29  ... Last
Life With a Baby > February 09 mamas-a new home here?
Vegan Princess's Avatar Vegan Princess 09:07 PM 12-04-2009
Liontigerbear: I live in Berkeley - Oakland's neighbor. Let me know if you end up moving - our babes could play together! :-)

Cindy

Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 11:24 AM 12-05-2009
my parents did the one ornament a year fro each of us and we continue the tradition. of course my mom made the mistake of giving me the ornaments when i moved out at 17, i was in no way responsible enough and they are all lost now except 2, it is sort of sad for me.
LionTigerBear's Avatar LionTigerBear 01:00 AM 12-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Liontigerbear: I live in Berkeley - Oakland's neighbor. Let me know if you end up moving - our babes could play together! :-)

Cindy
You got it! Sounds fun!

ETA: Eliza took her first two steps to me!!! It may have been more of an accident, it was hard to tell. Like, she was standing, wobbling, and was going to fall, so she took two steps instead. I don't expect her to do it again anytime soon, but who knows? She's 9.5 months old. My middle child started walking right when he turned 9 months old. He was/is much more driven, though.
mamamillet's Avatar mamamillet 11:43 AM 12-06-2009
"Junes has started saying consanets and she said her first sentence "I love dad". she still isn't walking even though she can take steps, she just prefers the speed of crawling. she is now officially my latest walker. "

OMG that is crazy!! Most children are closer to 3 yo before they grasp the pronoun thing! You have one advanced talker!
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 01:41 PM 12-06-2009
Owyn took some steps! See, she's a mover, constantly. If I try to stand her up, her feet never stop moving. So, I thought she'll probably never stand unassisted until she starts walking, just because she won't be still long enough to do it. But I was trying to get her to stand up on Friday and her feet were just a-going as usual, and when I let go, she took steps towards me! I thought it must have been just perfect timing when I let go, but she did it 3 or 4 times in a row! Just 2-3 steps at a time. Of course, she hasn't done it since then, but I'm still counting it!
Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 02:01 PM 12-06-2009
exciting mallory!

lately junes had been making grunting sounds when she latches on. she used to do it but then she stopped. it is so cute so i am glad it is happening again.
LionTigerBear's Avatar LionTigerBear 03:29 PM 12-06-2009
Mallory, that is so exciting! I can't believe that our babies are starting to walk!!!

mamamillet, Eliza isn't saying sentences with pronouns like that, yet, but she is making her own kind of baby sentences, stringing words and sounds and signs together into "sentences" to express herself. She definitely says "I love mama/dada/etc" in her own funny little way and I love it! She is also repeating lots of words that I tell her, like "up", "all done", etc, and saying them really clearly, too, but then she doesn't add them to her usual vocabulary. Her standby of basics gets her through her day well enough, I guess. Oh, one funny thing is that she's been making this shrieking noise when she wants more food, and I'm trying to teach her to say "more" instead. Lol. Not working so far, but I got her to say "da da na" when she wanted more banana, instead of shrieking. It was really cute hearing her say "da da na". So many words that she can say correctly, you'd think "banana" would be one of the easy ones!

Her signs are cute, too, especially since I never taught her signs-- she just invented her own. She has one that means "no", "no more" and "all done", and another that means "come here" "I want that" "hi" AND "I love you". They are multipurpose! She also nods and shakes her head for yes and no. So sweet!

So, I may be jumping the gun a bit, but I went ahead and bought her a birthday dress . . . lol.

P.S. My oldest son learned to say "I love you" as an infant, FWIW. I'm not sure if he understood the pronoun as being a separate word, or if it was all just one big word to him. Anyway, it was cute!
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 04:00 PM 12-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Oh, one funny thing is that she's been making this shrieking noise when she wants more food, and I'm trying to teach her to say "more" instead.
We're dealing with the same thing here ... working on the 'more' sign. It's not happening so far.
We're also learning about boundaries ... the cat, the gas fireplace, the cupboards that are off limits, being gentle with the puppy. She's doing better with those. I think we're going to put up the tree this week ... we'll see how that goes!
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 08:17 PM 12-06-2009
Lately, I'm so frustrated with nursing. She doesn't like to nurse during the day at all. She is such a busy girl. She'll only nurse a couple of minutes and she's off doing something else. I have to make her stop to nurse and it really pisses her off. She just has absolutely no interest in it anymore. She will nurse to go to bed at night and nurse a couple of times during the night just fine. But during the day, it is near impossible. She loves food and would much rather eat food than nurse. What do I do about this? I baby sit during the day and always try to get some of the others laid down before I nurse her, so it is quiet and not nearly as distracting while she nurses. She still isn't interested.

I just worry she's not nursing enough. As it is, she is only nursing before each nap, which is two times a day. And then she'll nurse before bed. So, really only 3 nursing sessions during the day and usually one or two overnight. The only time it seems like she's nursing long enough to get anything substantial is at bedtime and overnight though. And there are some nights when she sleeps all night, so is only getting one substantial nursing session in. Anyone else having these frustrations??
mamamillet's Avatar mamamillet 09:25 PM 12-06-2009
Willa also isn't a big daytime nurser--especially if we are out and about! SHe does nurse a lot throught the night though so I don't worry. She also eats lots of solids and a great variety at that. I do trust that babies know what they need so I wouldn't worry about it!
Vegan Princess's Avatar Vegan Princess 09:47 PM 12-06-2009
Makenna is a short nurser too. Plus I have low milk supply and she is refusing most of her supplement now. I used to supp 10-15 ounces/day and now I'm lucky if I can get 5 ounces in in 24 hours - mostly it's only 2-3 ounces. My husband and I are on edge about her getting dehydrated but we're trying to trust that she would drink if she were hungry/thirsty. I was looking through "what to expect: the first year" last night and the chapter on 10 months said babies' apetite decreased about now as their growth rate drops off...so perhaps our little ones really just don't need as much milk on top of all the food they are eating.

Cindy
Everrgreen's Avatar Everrgreen 12:16 AM 12-07-2009
Royce also doesn't nurse much through the day, he will have very short little nursing sessions, unless he's going down for a nap. He still nurses quite a bit through the night though. I've also noticed that he is eating a lot more (there is less food on the floor after mealtime, and also his poops are getting more and more solid). So that is probably affecting it as well.

There are some seriously advanced babies in our ddc!! I can't believe so many are walking and talking!

Royce isn't doing either I guess he communicates in his own way, but he doesn't use words/specific sounds or hand signals. I can just tell what he wants - like he will bite me when he wants to nurse (great sign, eh? ), when he wants something he will go all stiff (he straightens his legs and arms and extends his neck, it's weird, I know) and squeal/grunt while glaring at what he wants, he also does this if he's excited about something except instead of the glare he throws his head back and laughs very dramatically (again, very weird, I know ), and if he doesn't want something he will push it away... or throw it.

One cool thing he can do is play catch! We roll him the ball, he grabs it and throws it back. His aim is surprisingly good. If he throws it the wrong way he will usually go get it to try again, and when he throws it the right way he gets soooo excited. It's pretty darn cute. He also dances if a song he likes comes on, it has to have a good beat though, otherwise, no dancing!
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 01:22 AM 12-07-2009
It's good to hear we're not the only ones nursing so infrequently during the day. I guess I always knew she would gradually nurse less and less as she started taking in more solids. Sometimes it's easy for me to forget she's not a newborn anymore, she's actually turning into a toddler. So, it's alright if she starts getting nutrition from her food, I guess.

It makes me wonder, though, how young will she wean? She's never nursed for comfort, never goes for it when she's hurt or upset. It's always strictly been food to her. And now she is eating more solids and nursing less. During the day anyway, I can see already night weaning will be a whole different ball park for us. She depends on it for nighttime. But, during daytime, she already seems to be pulling away from as far as nursing goes... It's a little sad, but I can't say I miss nursing her every 2-3 hours. That was a lot of work!
Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 04:43 PM 12-07-2009
i've read a lot of kids go on nursing strikes around this age, and if you just keep plugging away they generally pick it back up.
Nillarilla's Avatar Nillarilla 04:52 PM 12-07-2009
Mallory my ds was like that and he didn't self wean until 17mos. He kept one nursing session in the morning upon waking for the longest time.
My dd likes her nursies but she also loves her food. I have to make sure that I nurse her when she wakes from her naps before meals because she gets constipated otherwise. Sadly she's wheat intolerant and gets a major bum rash and constipation from it. She loves bread and pasta and pancakes so it's hard because since we did baby led weaning she recognizes all of her favorites and screams for them. I bought some rice pasta the other day though and I'm going to make her some quinoa buns. I'm also going to make some buckwheat pancakes and freeze them so when we have pancakes she can too.
She's standing up and she's signing for more (not the sign I taught her but her own). She also signs for up and bites my shoulder for nursies (tried teaching her the milk sign she still bites).
She loves the coat room which is always dirty or wet on the floor and has the main floor bathroom attached to it. We keep the door closed to that area so she can't get in but my son occassionally forgets to close the door. If she sees it's open she monkey crawls as fast as she can to get there and screams if we close it before she can get in. She loves to eat shoes bleck!
I bought her Christmas dress the other day. She's going to be so pretty but I've got to find some black tights since white don't really go with the dress.
Oh and she's a climber, I have hardwood and I'm not exactly sure how to keep her safe until she's stable. She's had so many headbonks since she learned to stand. Maybe a helmet?
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 06:08 PM 12-07-2009
If I can get her to 17 months, that would be great. I'm just not really sure what to expect by the way of nursing as she gets older, I guess. I feel like I'm forcing those two daytime nursing sessions. I just wonder how long I should keep making her nurse during those times. Until she's a year old maybe?? I think the bedtime and overnight nursing will stick around for a while, they're the sessions she depends on. We're hoping to start trying for number two when she's about 18 months old, so if she self weans before then, it wouldn't be a big deal.
Everrgreen's Avatar Everrgreen 06:26 PM 12-07-2009
I was thinking about this thread today as I nursed Royce and I got a bit sad thinking about him weaning (even though I know it will be a while yet). He still nurses during the day to go down for his naps (still has 2 naps), and will also nurse every so often during the day (but these nursing sessions last maybe a few minutes). He's not even a year old and already I feel like he's growing up so quickly! Ugh! I just can't believe it. When I look at pictures of him from the summer or even earlier this fall, it's like he's a different baby. What happened?? I need things to slow down!!

I was also wondering, at what age do babies become toddlers. Is it when they turn 1? I'm thinking mostly of when we will have to move our massive discussion thread to the toddler section. I think we have the most active 'life with a babe' ddc
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 07:49 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I was thinking about this thread today as I nursed Royce and I got a bit sad thinking about him weaning (even though I know it will be a while yet). He still nurses during the day to go down for his naps (still has 2 naps), and will also nurse every so often during the day (but these nursing sessions last maybe a few minutes). He's not even a year old and already I feel like he's growing up so quickly! Ugh! I just can't believe it. When I look at pictures of him from the summer or even earlier this fall, it's like he's a different baby. What happened?? I need things to slow down!!

I was also wondering, at what age do babies become toddlers. Is it when they turn 1? I'm thinking mostly of when we will have to move our massive discussion thread to the toddler section. I think we have the most active 'life with a babe' ddc
I'd still call them babies at a year. 18 months probably toddler? There's a big difference between a one year old and an 18 month old. I'm always saying, though, that Owyn is reminding me more and more of a toddler. They're getting there, certainly not newborns anymore. Which is great and a little sad at the same time.

Oh and Owyn's first steps were not an accident, she did it several more times over the weekend! Once from a recliner to the end table, 3 or 4 steps!
justKate's Avatar justKate 08:01 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:

Stop! I'm gonna cry. I miss my itty bitty baby! Aubrey will be 10 months next week and while I just love her more every day, I miss the sweetness of her being teeny tiny. She's about 19 lbs. and LONG (tall?).

I'm a little behind, but nevertheless:
1. Is your Feb. 09 baby getting clingy now? Or not yet? Or was he/she already? No clingy baby here, unless she's sick. Mama is for food and sleep; Daddy is for fun! Daycare is waaaay cooler than Mama or Daddy.

3. Hard consonants! Who's got consonants? Not really. Aubrey seems to have persistent fluid in her ears, even when they're not infected, so I don't think she's hearing 100% = I expect her to be a slow talker. We're working on the fluid and hoping to avoid tubes in the ears... So far we have "Baa" (Dad), "Bah" (Ma), and "Boo" (Boobies). Aubrey is also waving and clapping, which is fun. I think its her way of communicating since she's not real verbal.

4. Crawling?Aubrey crawls normally about half of the time and then crawls on one knee and one foot the other half--like a crab moving sideways. Not sure where she got that but it seems to work for her. She's pulling up but not walking or standing "free" of support yet.

5. Anyone had a patch of trouble with dairy? Did you come out of it, and if so, how? We've eliminated dairy, but now I think she's reacting to soy. Cutting that out too as of today. Aubrey is really in to nursing--she is just not that interested in food. Which is good, because I'm pumping at work and need her to keep my supply up.

BTW, I have a breastpump listed on the Trading Post that I need to get rid of. It isn't mine but I'm having no luck getting rid of it, so if someone here wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you just for shipping. I've listed it all over the place and no one seems to want it...not sure why! It works fine (I tried it with my tubes/parts). The only problem is it's not as quiet as the PISA. Which really isn't a problem, YKWIM?

I've been pretty frustrated with sleep issues lately--I ordered the NCSS and am hoping for results with that. Nursing has also become increasingly violent, to the point where I just put Aubrey in her crib the other afternoon and let her play there alone--something I've never done before. I was SO frustrated with the biting, hitting, scratching, pinching, kicking, etc. Fortunately she thought alone time in the crib was great fun. I'm hoping to let her self-wean, but at this rate, who knows. But I am grateful I got her nursing--after the first 3 weeks in the NICU I wasn't sure it was going to happen!

starling&diesel, I would love to be able to teach some boundaries, but Bree just doesn't seem TO GET IT. Maybe I'm underestimating her? How are you doing it?

Gillian28, to you. My Huz and I have been having some issues that have parralled yours.

I also wanted to say how much I miss you girls! Almost wish we could all be in a DDC together again....
Anyone see that old episode of Bones where the high school girls had the pregnancy pact?
mckittre's Avatar mckittre 09:53 PM 12-07-2009
Wow, all these advanced babies! Katmai has stood alone for a second or two a few times, but otherwise is only cruising.

Any other babies show no interest in talking yet?
Katmai will sometimes say mum-mum for mama, but will sometimes say it just babbling too, so it's hard to tell. He definitely doesn't do any other words, and not really any signs either, though he does understand words. He certainly won't repeat words I say. I wonder if I don't talk to him enough? He's a fairly quiet guy, and happy to play by himself a lot, and it's easy to forget to talk when I'm wearing him... Hearing about babies his age saying "I love dad!" has me getting worried!
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 10:51 PM 12-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
starling&diesel, I would love to be able to teach some boundaries, but Bree just doesn't seem TO GET IT. Maybe I'm underestimating her? How are you doing it?
I growl at her ...
Sort of a low, growly hum, accompanied by furrowed brows, frown and a shake of my head. If she's crawling towards the dog dish or the fireplace and I growl at her, she sits back on her bum and looks at me with a concerned sort of pout. I offer a distraction at this point ... a favourite toy, my boob, what have you. It usually works. Sometimes it takes one or two tries. When she's heading away from the danger, I bring my tone up and welcome her in a sing-song voice and a great big smile and open arms.
Vegan Princess's Avatar Vegan Princess 10:52 PM 12-07-2009
Makenna's FIRST tooth popped through the gums today! I was beginning to think she'd be toothless forever. LOL. :-)

Cindy
AKislandgirl's Avatar AKislandgirl 11:37 PM 12-07-2009
We went to see Father Christmas and Babushka this weekend! Fiona wouldn't sit on either lap but we got pictures of her on my lap sitting between them. These are the Russian version of Santa and Mrs. Claus. They looked great, all clad in furs. Fiona loved petting the fur mukluks! She was wearing her sweet little red Hanna Christmas dress. So cute!

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_1959.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_1963.jpg

She's working on teeth right now and has been a bit fussy this week. These are teeth 7 and 8 for her. I also noticed that her gums in back are swollen too so I think she has molars coming in too! I didn't think that would happen this early! Poor thing!

She's really stronger on her legs now and is pulling up constantly and just at the beginning stages of cruising. I don't see walking anytime soon but I guess you never really know with these things. DH is worried she'll start walking when we are on vacation next month and he'll miss it. I hope not! She has become a total wiggle worm at diaper changes so I've been changing her on the floor instead of the changing table. Her new favorite game is to crawl away from me as fast as she can before I can put a new diaper on her! She is totally cracking up as she does this. I love that speedy little naked baby!
LionTigerBear's Avatar LionTigerBear 12:43 AM 12-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Wow, all these advanced babies! Katmai has stood alone for a second or two a few times, but otherwise is only cruising.

Any other babies show no interest in talking yet?
Katmai will sometimes say mum-mum for mama, but will sometimes say it just babbling too, so it's hard to tell. He definitely doesn't do any other words, and not really any signs either, though he does understand words. He certainly won't repeat words I say. I wonder if I don't talk to him enough? He's a fairly quiet guy, and happy to play by himself a lot, and it's easy to forget to talk when I'm wearing him... Hearing about babies his age saying "I love dad!" has me getting worried!
I would really encourage you not to worry about it AT ALL. In my experience, all babies have really different intelligences and talents.

We were just playing today with a little 4-year-old boy who can barely talk (what he tries to say is unintelligible) but boy, is he ever a whiz on the computer! I was blown away by his computer literacy and ease! He is also the kind of little kid who can take apart a clock and put it back together again. I mean, that kid is sharp. But, he would be considered "behind" verbally.

Every kid is different. My first son is an amazing climber. I mean, better than the "big kids". He is five and he literally teaches the elementary-school kids he meets how to climb like he does. My second son is not such a great climber but he has a knack with balls and sports. And so on and so forth.

So, all this to say, don't sweat it. Your son has amazing talents of his own which may or may not be apparent now, but have the potential to be just as much a gift to the world and useful as anything else.
Everrgreen's Avatar Everrgreen 12:53 AM 12-08-2009
AKislandgirl - love the photos! She is such a beautiful girl That's interesting that you are switching to the floor for diaper changes. I'm having the same issue with Royce, and was actually considering buying a change table (we've never had one), because I thought that would make it easier. Maybe not though...

Cindy - Yay for first teeth! Royce got his first 2 around 8 months, then 2 more shortly after that, and then nothing. He's just had those same 4 teeth for about 2 months now!

starling&diesel - that's so funny! I'm going to try that! Royce loves getting into the recycling and the garbage Seriously, I give him pretty much free range of the apartment, and he goes right for the smelly dirty stuff!

mckittre - not talking here either! I get 'mama' but its really more 'mamamama' when he's upset.

justKate - thank you for the hugs, it has been difficult for me lately, but I'm surviving. And I also love our ddc, the idea of being in a different one with the next pregnancy seems so weird! I wish we could all hang out in real life
monkaha's Avatar monkaha 12:51 PM 12-08-2009
Quote:
I wish we could all hang out in real life
Wouldn't that be cool?

Mostly reading here, seems like the only time I have to read is when nakking, and it's too slow to type with one hand. Sounds like he knows I got a minute to type two-handed; fussing downstairs with daddy.....
starling&diesel's Avatar starling&diesel 11:25 PM 12-08-2009
Such cute pics, AKisland girl. Here's our holiday babe ... in a fabulous hat knit by my mom. It's so hard to get her to sit still for pics lately!

Cindy Still no teeth here! She's been teething ferociously all week and I can see little white nubs there, but still nothing. I keep having this dream where I wake up to find that she's sprouted a whole mouth of teeth during the night.
Vegan Princess's Avatar Vegan Princess 11:38 PM 12-08-2009
Starling: That hat is precious! So is the babe! ;-) I have had that same dream. In fact I had it last night too since I have teeth on the brain.

Does anyone know how long it takes a tooth to fully come in once it pokes through? I suppose it varies just like everything else.

Cindy
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 12:11 AM 12-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Starling: That hat is precious! So is the babe! ;-) I have had that same dream. In fact I had it last night too since I have teeth on the brain.

Does anyone know how long it takes a tooth to fully come in once it pokes through? I suppose it varies just like everything else.

Cindy
Once I can feel the tooth, I consider it in. It takes a while for the tooth to come all the way up, for Owyn anyway. She got three on top within the last month and half and they're still coming down little by little.
AKislandgirl's Avatar AKislandgirl 03:25 PM 12-09-2009
It takes a couple of weeks for Fiona's teeth to come all the way in. I would say with in a couple of days of popping through though they don't seem to bother her.

LOVE the santa hat! Esme is adorable! Can't wait to see more pictures Mamas (hint, hint!)

I keep having dreams that I lose Fiona. They are terrible. Its like I'm at a store and she just crawls or runs away and I can't find her. I hate them!
First ... 9  17  18  19 20  21  29  ... Last

Up