February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1064 Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I like solstice fairy idea too! We have a "jammie fairy" who comes and leaves pj's for the kids on xmas eve every year.

I was laughing while looking at all the "baby's first christmas" onsies and outfits the other day. Anthony is in 18-24mos clothes, so none of the outfits would fit him! Funny and a bit teary at the same time. He wasn't able to wear the "baby's first halloween" outfit the other two wore either. sniff.

Oh look. He found a bottle of fabric paint. such a good finder.....

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#602 of 1064 Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM

We just got back from our first Christmas celebration. Owyn always amazes me how well she handles these all day outings. My mom is crazy about Christmas, so we were doing things non-stop all day long. Owyn received several outfits, a play nativity set, some books, blankets, and an adorable little Waldorf doll. What I really love is watching my Godchildren open their gifts from me. They LOVED their gifts this year. I love seeing that excitement on their faces!

One Christmas celebration down, two or three to go. We'll go to Mass on Christmas Eve, then the ILs are coming over early Christmas morning to watch her open her gifts. Then we're going to the ILs for lunch and gifts, then home for a nap and then to my aunt's house in the evening for dinner and more gifts. That will probably be the craziest day of all. Today is so weird because I still have to work tomorrow. It's unusual since normally I've just finished school for the semester and am off for a month. I only work 3 days this week and 2 the next, so it won't be too bad... just weird to think I have to get up early after all the celebration today.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#603 of 1064 Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
I was laughing while looking at all the "baby's first christmas" onsies and outfits the other day. Anthony is in 18-24mos clothes, so none of the outfits would fit him! Funny and a bit teary at the same time. He wasn't able to wear the "baby's first halloween" outfit the other two wore either. sniff.
The Carter's First Birthday outfits go up to 24 mo. at least. We got Eliza's in size 18 mo.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#604 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Here's an awesome idea I saw on a blog somewhere, oddly, it was a thickly christian one. Anyway, here it is:

Solstice Fairy Cakes:
We ice half a batch of fairy cakes with white chocolate & half with milk chocolate: white representing the (returning) light and milk symbolizing the (retreating) dark.

I'm hoping to make either a layer cake (half butter cake, half chocolate) or cupcakes or something similar to do this. We'll see if I get it done. BIL comes to town for a few days today, so maybe no time.

DD started walking more than two steps at a time today. She got to about 8 steps, I think.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#605 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

He took steps last night! He has been taking one step and then sitting/falling down, but last night, he did several in a row. More than once! And then felt the need to practice that at 1am, so I am EXHAUSTED now. Perfect for an afternoon when my big kids are on crazy sugar highs from school holiday parties. blah.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#606 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM

That is so exciting!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#607 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Owyn has been doing 4-5 very wobbly steps where she really just leans into where she's going. But today, she took like 9 steps like a pro!! She even started to fall over and kind of side stepped to catch herself and kept going! I'm so impressed!!

This must be why she didn't sleep well last night at all, very fitful sleeping, kicking me in the back and crawling around the bed all night. And I had my 16 month old daycare kid return today along with his new 2 week old brother. I am TIRED!

ETA: DH and I just sat on the floor with her for the last 15 minutes or so and she just kept taking turns walking back and forth between us! So exciting!! It's like she's a big girl overnight! I tried to get some video of it to put on my FB, but she just wanted to play with the camera so that didn't work so well.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#608 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Eliza still hasn't moved beyond more than two steps at a time (without holding on to something.)

#609 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Royce has yet to let go at all, even just to stand! It's funny because I thought he would be one of those babies to skip crawling and just walk. But then one day the crawling just clicked in his head and now he crawls everywhere. He used to walk along while holding onto his little walker wagon, but now he won't (he just drops down and crawls). He still will walk along the walls and furniture, while holding on. I can't wait to see him try it for the first time. I hope he's with me when he does it, that would really suck to miss it.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#610 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey, I'm getting the fitful sleep without the walking! Not fair! Katmai is very interested in standing by himself without holding on, and practices that all the time - but he has apparently no desire to walk other than along furniture.

We set up our Christmas tree yesterday, hanging non-breakable ornaments on the lower branches. He immediately discovered which of those could be pulled apart into chokable-sized pieces of course, but I think we've caught them all now.
#611 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Esmé took her first independent steps last night too! Once she discovered that she could, she did the back and forth dance between my partner and I. So exciting! And she's also mastered the walking while only holding one of our hands. She's getting so big! All of our babies are getting so big!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#612 of 1064 Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Willa also moved past the one or two steps today. It is really exciting! She is also using more signs lately-but not words really. I hope she gets over the gunk she has so she can feel better for her first x-mas!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#613 of 1064 Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 PM

Royce said his first word (Well... besides 'mama' which I get when he's upset). Anyway, he said "dog"!!! He has a book called 'Dog' which has photos of different dogs, and the word 'dog' is repeated a lot. Anyway, earlier today he started going 'daw daw daw' while flipping through the book, I repeated the word 'dog' to him, and he said 'dawww-g' My husband came over later and I brought the book out, and he did it again!! So exciting! I can't wait to teach him more words!

#614 of 1064 Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 AM

Exciting!

I get the "mama" or "mum-mum" when Katmai's upset too, but nothing else so far. I keep hoping that one of these signs or words will stick with him one of these days, but I guess I just have to be patient. Why would he want to communicate anyway, when life generally already goes his way?
#615 of 1064 Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Gillian, that's so fun and exciting! Eliza doesn't say words very often anymore-- sometimes, though. But more often now, she does little babbles that sound like sentences, with the right intonations and so forth, but she's just mimicking the general sound of speaking. It's funny. Like, when I'm tucking the boys into bed, and holding Eliza, I wave and say "Goodnight sweethearts" to the boys, she waves and babbles in a similar way to what I said. It's so cute!!! She also mimics me in other ways. If one of the boys gets hurt she's learned to pat them with a very concerned expression on her face, just like Mama does, and she says "aaawwww". I tell her she's such a good little mama! She's definitely more nurturing and cuddly than either of my boys were at that age. It's very interesting to see their little individual personalities come out! She's also very bossy and assertive, too, though! It's a riot! It kind of scares me, though, because of my two boys, my three-year-old one was the assertive baby (DS1 not so much!) and the three-year-old has been the HARDEST toddler to raise! Hopefully she will possess a healthy dose of flexibility with her assertiveness!

#616 of 1064 Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Oh, the mimic phase is so cute! We're in it too. She carries on long,unintelligible conversations with us, complete with intonation and sentence-like lilt. So cute!

Esmé started walking in earnest last night ... an early Christmas present for us! She also learned -- by herself -- to back off the couch safely. So to celebrate, we went out for gluten-free pizza!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#617 of 1064 Old 12-24-2009, 03:10 PM

All these little walkers! Yeah! Loved the video Starling!

Fiona is definitely more into her verbal skills then gross motor. She is just now beginning to cruise the furniture. But she is saying and signing several words. I notice that she'll work on one for a while and drop it to move on to another before going back to it. It's interesting how their little brains work! Along with Mama and Papa she says hi, bye, pretty, kitty, ball, bear, and baby. She signs puppy, all done, more, hat, and every once in a while ball and gentle. She signed Papa once! Babbling conversations are non stop in our house. I love them! My mom often calls not to talk to me but to listen to Fiona talk in the background!

We are very excited for Christmas here! We'll have dinner with out neighbors tonight. Tomorrow we'll go to mass and have friends over in the late afternoon for "Appetizer Extravaganza!" The next morning Fiona and I fly to Seattle to visit my family. My sister is due with her 8th baby on Christmas! We are hoping to make the birth but we'll just have to see. At any rate I'll be there to hold a tiny newborn!

Merry Christmas Everybody! I hope you have a lovely, peaceful celebration! Even though we don't know each other in real life, I do consider you my friends and I'm grateful for all of you! Peace!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#618 of 1064 Old 12-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Starling, we have been playing the same back and forth game all week! I love it. We call it pass the baby. Owyn is so proud of herself when she walks. I think because I always cheer for her when she does it, now she'll walk to the couch or what have you and look up at me with a big grin waiting for me to cheer for her. It's adorable!

We don't have a lot of talking going on. I have noticed a few things she says for the same things all the time, so I think she's starting to have her own words for things. She says something that sounds like "What's that" (more like "Wa dat!) when I give her something or if she finds something on the floor. I just noticed the last few days that it's pretty consistent. She says Mama and Dada. But really she just growls a lot. That's her favorite noise to make. She's also a very bossy baby in her gestures and intonations! And she'll point at whatever she's bossing around, it's very entertaining. My niece used to do the same thing when she was a baby, so it's fun to reminisce!

So, Owyn is almost 10 months and has always required swaddling if I want her to sleep for any length of time by herself. In bed with us at night, she isn't swaddled. And just lately has become a belly sleeper (with her butt in the air, haha!) at night. And now she's not napping as long, wakes up crying and I go in there and she's rolled over and is stuck in the swaddle. So, with the long weekend we are going to do away with the swaddle and see if it helps. We've tried in the past and she won't sleep by herself without being swaddled, she'll start crying within a few minutes. So, we'll see how it goes.

Tonight is Christmas Eve Mass and two family Christmases tomorrow. We're also supposed to be getting a pretty significant snow storm by morning, so looks like it'll be a white Christmas for us! Yay!! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays everyone!!

#619 of 1064 Old 12-26-2009, 09:57 PM

So how did Christmas go?? Did everyone's LO enjoy their first Christmas? What were the hits/misses for gifts?

We had a good day. My husband came over in the morning for Royce to open his presents. The major favourites were the little toy kitchen which I also bought some cooking utensils and pots and pans for. He *loves* pulling things out of the oven and putting them back in. He also got a little car ramp that he immediately figured out how to put the car at the top and watch it go down then repeat. That's really all he is playing with now, but I'm sure the other stuff will get played with eventually (he also got some musical instruments/shakers, a little truck, a soft doll, and a bead coaster). Then (after a nap) Royce and I went for a walk and visited my dad and then a friend. My husband was supposed to join us again for dinner but wasn't feeling well, so we enjoyed our veggie chili just the 2 of us.

Does anyone know, at what point should you worry if a baby doesn't seem to be doing as much as others of the same age? Some of the things your babies are doing seem so much more advanced then Royce is (and Royce is the oldest here!) And even the January born babies I know irl seem to do more or just seem 'older' in how the play/interact. I'm sure it's all fine, but I do worry sometimes

#620 of 1064 Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Christmas was really very lovely here. We had a winter storm blow in on Christmas Eve night. It was sleeting a freezing rain and we were awaiting a big snowstorm (that's still going on right now). Sounds bad but it was really great. We went to mass and our organist couldn't make it because of the weather. So we sang the carols a capelle and our priest told a story about how Silent Night was first sung because a church's organ broke and that carol was written to sing without an organ. Then of course we ssang Silent Night. When we woke Christmas morning, the sleet had turned to snow and we had a beautiful white Christmas. It really is a beautiful memory I'll share with Owyn about her first Christmas.

Her favorite gift was her "Santa" gift, a push walker toy. She loves that it will take her wherever she wants to go! We had a nice time visiting family and braving the snowstorm. I also received a great new phone which I am posting from right now! I love it!

The celebrating is really just beginning at our house. My birthdat is Monday so we'll be celebrating that, we're celebrating new year's eve as a family at my aunt's house we'll see how Owyn handles that! And we have friends coming in from out of town next weekend so we'll celebrate the holiday again with them.

#621 of 1064 Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 AM

We had a great Christmas! On Christmas Eve we went to the candlelight service at our UU church and visited friends ... a lovely mellow evening.

On Christmas morning, my sister came over and I made gluten-free scones, and we had those with devonshire cream and preserves. Then we all went for a walk with the dogs. It was a gorgeous day! My parents also came over in the afternoon and we opened Esmé's presents then. The rest of us didn't exchange presents, so her's were the only ones under the tree. She got a bucket and shovel, a couple of books, a soft doll, a pair of slippers, a wooden truck, blocks, and a set of dominoes. As expected, she was far more interested in the wrapping paper and cloth bags!

We had our turkey dinner later, with a few more guests added. I think we were ten in all, with Esmé at the head of the table with her chair, having a fabulous time. My partner is a chef, so we are very spoiled when it comes to family dinners. She made this incredible gluten-free torte; shortbread crust, ganache, macadamia nuts, caramel, and more chocolate drizzled on top, served with a quenelle of homemade vanilla ice cream. Yum!

Gillian ... we are all such worriers, aren't we? I am positive that wee Royce is trucking along just fine. I hope you're hanging in there, mama.

#622 of 1064 Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 AM

Surprisingly to me, Katmai could care less about the wrapping paper, or the gift opening. He liked the toys though. Things to bang with and on were the big hits (a xylophone type toy, a couple hammers, and a toy to pound wooden balls through holes).

We went on a couple hours snowshoe for Christmas, visiting friends and bringing pie, cookies, and jam to the neighbors - getting back just as it got dark in time for a neighbor's Christmas party.

Gillian - Don't worry! I think people just post more online when their babies learn new tricks! Katmai isn't walking or talking either, and I'm pretty sure AVERAGE walking age is closer to a year anyway. I once read a good article reminding parents that everything within the normal range for developmental milestones is completely equivalent - e.g. babies who are "slower" at figuring out walking or talking won't be less athletic or less verbal as older children - there's no statistical difference between kids within that normal range.
#623 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 AM

gillian i wouldn't worry about royce, when i was reading what you said he did with his christmas presnets I was thinking "Junes isn't doing those things, am i doing somethign wrong?" also reading what some of the other babies are doing. I think if he is progressing, happy, and healthy thats all good. walking and talking that stuff comes at different times for all babies, everythign does.

how exciting all the new things our babies are doing!

our christmas was the best ever. everythign was just perfect. Every single present given and recieved was a hit, the people i got to spend the day with were spot on....and now we have zoo passes. Juniper REALLY like the blue macaw. we will be back soon.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#624 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Hi, I've been lurking in this thread for a while and was wondering if I could join you guys. My baby is a Feb. baby and I was in the Feb ddc under a different name. I couldn't keep up with the thread towards the end of my pregnancy because I was so tired . Anyway I loved reading how all your babies are developing. I remember yesterday just how I was a few weeks pregnant with my baby and now he's almost one. Time flies.
#625 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Welcome BRMama! Jump right in!

Owyn is making huge strides with this walking thing. She has started letting go of the furniture and taking off. Everyday there is significant improvement in her skills! She is so proud of herself, as am I. She will stop and just grin so big like wow look at what I'm doing! And she sleeping much more soundly now that she got it figured out, which is a blessing because she was crawling all over the bed in her sleep! I can't belive my little baby is turning into a toddler!

#626 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Thank you everyone for your reassurance. It's hard not to worry sometimes, but I'm trying to not be a crazy first time mom And actually I read an article the other day about 'late bloomers' and it said that babies aren't considered 'late walkers' until after 15 months, and 'late talkers' until after 16 months. So I guess I've got some time. And another thing is, I think Royce 'looks' a lot younger than other babies because he's still bald, the hair really makes some babies look older to me. Anyway, I'm done being crazy now!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the holidays! Royce and I have been sick for a few days which is really crappy. We've both had a bad cough, although mine seems to be dragging on longer than his. We are leaving today to go stay with a friend for New Years! Should be fun!

#627 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 11:37 AM

I heard the sweetest song for babies. I had to come share. It's by Kimya Dawson (who did a lot of the songs for the movie, Juno). It's called I Love You Sweet Baby. There are actually quite a few references in it to AP, such as co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. It's kind of a silly song, but everytime it comes on, Owyn and I dance to it.

#628 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 AM

We had a good christmas. Makenna hasn't played with all her toys yet bc I didn't want to open the things that have to be shipped back from Indiana since they wouldn't fit in our bags. She loves the wood stacker and shape sorter my mom got her that she got early. She seemed very taken with some of her new books as well.

Makenna came down with he croup on our last night in indiana!! So scary! We spend a lot of time in the steamed up bathroom and then DH and I took turns letting her sleep on us while we sat in a chair next to vaporizer. We took her to urgent care in the morning and she got a steroid shot to help her breathing...then we had to fly that afternoon. We ended up missing our connection and having to stay over night in chicago. Thankfuly Makenna was doing much better and she seemed to have fun in the hotel room. She's still not 100% but so much better!

Oh Makenna also got her 2nd tooth on Christmas. Perhaps that has something to do with her getting sick? We've definitely had some not so great nights and I am so so happy to be home and sleeping in our own beds again. She slept with us the past 7 nights so I didn't get much sleep but last night she slept until 4am in her crib. Yay for the first decent night sleep in a week!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#629 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Oh, Cindy ... what an adventure! I hope she's feeling better.

Mal85 ... Esmé has started taking off on us too. She gets about 15 steps away and then gets scared. We bought her her first pair of shoes, and my partner and I both cried. Where is our little, tiny baby? We're both getting baby fever, even though we're pretty sure that Esmé will be our one and only.

BRmama ... Welcome back! Fill us in on how your little one is doing!

Gillian... We've all been sick over the last three weeks. First Esmé, then my partner, then me. And mine is sticking around! It's in my lungs too, which I hope won't develop into a nasty infection. It's been a bad season for coughs and colds around here!

#630 of 1064 Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Thank you everyone for the welcomes. Just a little background. Towards the end of my pregnancy I started feeling really tired and I ended up having an emergency c-section. Turns out I had placenta abruptia. So fast forward after researching what that meant I felt so blessed this Christmas for having my son Landon here with me. He's such a healthy happy little boy.

Right now he's babbling a lot and says little words like da da mum mum and some words that I have no idea where they came from. We're a bilingual family and at home we speak in our native language. Out of our home we speak English. He crawls everywhere and is just now starting to stand up by himself but he doesn't know how to support himself yet so he falls back down. He's very smart. He started mimmicking me when I say no to something he shouldn't do. For example he knows not to pull out the Christmas tree ornaments and he'll do it. Then I'll say noo and turn my head back and forth. So he lets go of the ornament turns his head back and forth and then claps lol. He's also teething right now. He's got six so far. So sleep around here is something we try to do as often as possible.

Anyway our Christmas was a great one. I got him a little farm with animals so I can teach him the animals names in my native language (it's really hard finding learning tools in my native language), and a wooden train blocks set, and mil gave him a big yellow truck that he loves. He loves anything that has wheels lol. So despite the fact that we had fun night time has been really hard around here recently.

Mal85, I'll have to check that song out. Landon loves music.

Starling&diesel, I hope you feel better

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page