February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
He has so many teeth! When his molars are in completely he will have 10 teeth. He got his first tooth 2 days after he turned 6 months old.
Wow, and I thought Landon had a lot. He's got six and one on the way. He was clingy before but with the two that just came in he was way more clingy than normal. It was really hard seeing him suffer like that too. Now he's back to his old self exploring. So there's hope. He's a little more independent when he can see me but if I go to use the restroom or to the kitchen then he goes beserk.

Thanks you guys for the link. I love the wholesome baby food website.

Mal85 That's such a cute theme, and wow that's awesome you have a big family. I can sympathize with you on the sleepless nights. We're right there too trying to transition him to a crib. He'll sleep for a long stretch at night in it but once he's awake it's really hard to get him to go back to sleep.

What's the no cry sleep solution? Is it an alternative to cio? I guess I should go find a thread on it
#662 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
What's the no cry sleep solution? Is it an alternative to cio? I guess I should go find a thread on it
Its a book I heard about on the nighttime parenting thread, they are like $10 on ebay.... GREAT BOOK! It has a lot of great ideas and so much good information it just did not work out the first time for us. I hope it will work better when I try it again I really want to sleep in bed for at least most the night. And yep its a alternative to CIO. My mom told me last week that she did cio with me and im just fine, so he will be fine if I do it to him. I didn't even know what to say back to her.
#663 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 PM

I just had a chance to look at some of those cake links. Its fun to think about the 1st Birthdays coming up. We're doing a banana cake with a raspberry jam filling between layers. We brought a jar of Grandpa's jam home with us just for this cake!

I think that we will have some friends over for a potluck. (must be an Alaskan thing mckittre!) It will likely be a combo of friends with kids and without. I don't really intend to do anything especially kiddy but we'll see. This may change.

I do know that I'm going to get her a new pair of natural blue cloud longies for her birthday! Fun Fun!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#664 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Haven't really had a chance to catch up on the going-ons but wanted to say Hi to everyone. We're managing sleeping issues now--Aubrey has crawled out of our not-baby-friendly bed twice now, so it's crib for her until mama goes to sleep. I just move her over once she's asleep...VERY asleep. The crib is 3 feet from the bed, but it's an intense 3 feet.

We are a NCSS failure here, so I'm looking at a "modified" version of Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning. The Aubster is a little young yet, but the constant night nursing (which always involves pinching) is making me lose my mind....

Can you believe how old they are?! I miss my sweet little baby. Sometimes I barely recognize this big girl sleeping next to me in the bed.

#665 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Haven't really had a chance to catch up on the going-ons but wanted to say Hi to everyone. We're managing sleeping issues now--Aubrey has crawled out of our not-baby-friendly bed twice now, so it's crib for her until mama goes to sleep. I just move her over once she's asleep...VERY asleep. The crib is 3 feet from the bed, but it's an intense 3 feet.

We are a NCSS failure here, so I'm looking at a "modified" version of Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning. The Aubster is a little young yet, but the constant night nursing (which always involves pinching) is making me lose my mind....

Can you believe how old they are?! I miss my sweet little baby. Sometimes I barely recognize this big girl sleeping next to me in the bed.
We have also had owyn beginning the night in her crib. She is in a separate room so I usually just go to bed and when she wakes DH will get her and bring her into bed with us. She wil nurse back to sleep. She has started crawling in her sleep though and has hit the head board several times which wakes her up. Everytime she wakes, I have to nurse her back to sleep. As she gets older, I see the nighttime nursing becoming more frequent just to keep her asleep. It makes for one tired mama.

These are the reasons we're making the transition. We initially decided to go for it all at once, transition and night wean. But she's not dealing with it well, so tonight I'm going to go back to nursig when she wakes, but making the effort to put her back in her bed. I'm thinking we'll get her used to sleeping there and waking there in the morning. I could be making all of this up. I'm not really going by any book or method, just seeing how she does and playing off of what she needs.

By the way, Owyn is officially walking more than she crawls! I have a little toddler living in my house now, it's crazy!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#666 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Why do they pinch us when nursing?? Aleric's crib is in the bedroom next to ours so most of the time we try to get him to go to sleep in there and then after he wakes up (usually about 40 minutes later) he comes back to our room. He does nurse a lot at night though, and he barely nurses in the day, he will latch on for like 2 minutes then he wants to go something else. So he gets most of his nursing in at night.
#667 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM

Anyone else expecting again? I'm due with #6 in August.
#668 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Congrats DiD!!!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#669 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
OMG! Congratulations! What fun news!!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#670 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I'm expecting again too I'm due early Sept.

I'm hoping this one sticks after a miscarriage in August (would have been due in April) but so far everything looks good. hCG is higher than average (but with my sticky babies that is usual for me)

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#671 of 1064 Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Yay! Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
I'm expecting again too I'm due early Sept.

I'm hoping this one sticks after a miscarriage in August (would have been due in April) but so far everything looks good. hCG is higher than average (but with my sticky babies that is usual for me)
And Congratulations to you too (even though I already knew ) But, I didn't know about your bloodwork results and I'm so happy that they came back good!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#672 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 AM

Yay how exciting! Congratulations to you both!! :-)

Makenna has a high fever. Poor baby can't sem to get well. At least I know the clinginess is likely bc she has been sick this whole time. Almost 2 weeks! We're finally off to the dr tomorrow.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#673 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post

I don't know if it's appropriate to post this, but there was an article on my family in the paper the other day, and the photographer took better pics of Katmai than I could! http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...how_index.html
I heard a story about your family on Alaska News Nightly tonight! So fun! I told my husband, "hey, I know her! Well I know her online!" The pictures were great too. I remember hearing about your trek too. Now its all coming together! Let me know if you ever make it out to Kodiak!

#674 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Hey, what's it like in Kodiak? Dh is eyeing the coast guard base there, and keeps joking about "better stock up on warm clothes...". Once he decides something, it's usually just a matter of time until it's a go.

Mckittre-my dh would quit his job and be where you are in about 15 minutes if he could find a way to swing it. His first immediate question was "What does he do for a living?". And mine was, "How big is that yurt, do you think?" You don't have to answer either, just know we were really impressed.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#675 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 PM

I'll PM you but overall its great!

#676 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Hey, what's it like in Kodiak? Dh is eyeing the coast guard base there, and keeps joking about "better stock up on warm clothes...". Once he decides something, it's usually just a matter of time until it's a go.

Mckittre-my dh would quit his job and be where you are in about 15 minutes if he could find a way to swing it. His first immediate question was "What does he do for a living?". And mine was, "How big is that yurt, do you think?" You don't have to answer either, just know we were really impressed.
Just1More, is your Huz CG? Mine is too--since we've been together we've been assigned to Headquarters in DC, Recruiting Command in VA, New London, Key West, and now we're in Austin, TX (he's going to school).

DiD and triscuitsmom, CONGRATULATIONS!!! New life is such a blessing.

#677 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DiD and triscuitsmom - Congratulations!

Quote:
I heard a story about your family on Alaska News Nightly tonight! So fun! I told my husband, "hey, I know her! Well I know her online!" The pictures were great too. I remember hearing about your trek too. Now its all coming together! Let me know if you ever make it out to Kodiak!
I'd love to get out to Kodiak sometime, maybe for a book event? - I'll let you know!

Quote:
I don't mind answering. The yurt is 24 feet in diameter - about 450 square feet. Larger (30 feet diameter) and smaller (20, 16) also exist. What we "do for a living" takes about a paragraph to explain! We both do contract work for an environmental consulting firm in town - Nuka Research (technical writing, analysis of environmental impact statements, graphics, etc...). Pays well, though we don't do it many hours. I also wrote a book on our 4,000 mile journey (A Long Trek Home), which is doing well enough so far that we're making a little money on it! We also get some money through a jewelry crafting business we started with some friends, though we don't really do much work for that. My husband is a geologist and does some geology contract work - also pays well but doesn't take much of his time. Time wise, most of our "work" is through our environmental non-profit: Ground Truth Trekking, though we tend not to pay ourselves for it (using our grant money to pay others and expenses). And of course, we just don't need much money in our lifestyle, which is really the big key. I am very grateful for the fact that Alaska has a good childrens' health insurance program for low-income kids.
There are a few other folks here who do computer-based work, though things like fishing, tourism, local services (school, post office), and construction are much more common.

Katmai does some of the same crawling in bed as others have mentioned here. But since nursing and walking are the only ways he's ever fallen asleep (and we don't have a crib!), I haven't even contemplated trying to change that. All I want now is to get him on a schedule where he's not crazy awake at midnight! And I'd like to get him able to sleep with his daddy. I can slip away at night if he falls asleep before I do, but I can't slip away in the morning - so I either have a cranky sleepy baby as I'm trying to start the fire and get breakfast, or I end up sleeping in late! (more often).
#678 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Thanks McKittre! That's so cool. That exactly the sort of way dh would like to live. Just live, doing his own thing, yet a lot be for the greater good. I'm glad to have met you (online ) and wish you all the best!

Justkate-dh is a Marine, actually. He's strongly considering switching to the CG to finish his 20, though. He's agreed to do 3 more with the Marines, but in that time, he's hoping to make the switch. How do deployments and training work out? Is your dh gone much? Mine is hoping for more home time; he has been gone more than half of the last 5 years. Also, he joined because of 9/11, and he feels like he's done what he came to do, but yet, he still feels called to public service. So, he'd like to do search and rescue, or law enforcement with the CG.

And congrats to the expecting Mama's!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#679 of 1064 Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 PM

Oh, I'll share a little bit about baby dd. Lately, I've started swaddling her again, and she loves it. She smiles and gets giggly when I start to do it. She goes right to sleep. Isn't that strange? I tried it because I knew she was really tired one day, and I could tell she just couldn't make herself stop long enough to go to sleep.

A funny thing she does, too, is if I'm trying to nurse her to sleep, she'll nurse for a few minutes (she's always been really fast), she leans back and says, "all yun." I'll say, "It's time for ni-night", and she'll reply, "All YUN. Down." In a whiney voice. This goes back and forth several times, and then she'll nurse again for a few minutes. And then we repeat. After about 3 or 4 times, she stops asking and just goes to sleep. It's hilarious to me to be arguing with a 10month old...with no teeth.

#680 of 1064 Old 01-09-2010, 01:58 AM

Oh my gosh -- just trying to catch up here!

First -- CONGRATS to the expectant mommas!!

Second -- McKittre: thanks for sharing. Always great to see different lifestyles and yours is definitely inspiring.

We're also planning dd's 1st birthday! It's Valentine's day. Great ideas all around. Going to check out the cake recipes

She's standing, pulling up and extremely mobile but no walking yet. She has her first cold right now--just a runny nose but it keeps her stuffed up. Surprisingly though, she's still sleeping through the night! More teeth now too -- 2 more came through a few days ago and there are a few top ones on the way. Drool everywhere.

The weird thing is that she still doesn't really say anything discernible. Lots of noises but no "ma ma" or "da da." We do hear a "hi" sometimes but that's about it.

I can't believe she's nearly 1! I keep squeezing her.
#681 of 1064 Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
He's agreed to do 3 more with the Marines, but in that time, he's hoping to make the switch. How do deployments and training work out? Is your dh gone much?
I STRONGLY recommend the CG. Still get to do lots of LE stuff, but don't deploy often. Huz deployed right after 9/11 to Bahrain and again to Kuwait/Iraq in '03, but not since then. CG deploys their reservists more than their active duty, unless you are in an assignment specifically doing the high-speed low-drag thing (thinking TACLET --tactical law enforcement training-- in Miami). Even then they're pretty short deployments, like 3 mos.

Huz did search and rescue in Key West, also alien-migrant interdiction. He worked at Recruiting Command for a while too, so if your Huz wanted more info I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to him. PM me if you want his email address or phone number.

#682 of 1064 Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Its a book I heard about on the nighttime parenting thread, they are like $10 on ebay.... GREAT BOOK! It has a lot of great ideas and so much good information it just did not work out the first time for us. I hope it will work better when I try it again I really want to sleep in bed for at least most the night. And yep its a alternative to CIO. My mom told me last week that she did cio with me and im just fine, so he will be fine if I do it to him. I didn't even know what to say back to her.
Hey thanks I'll have to check it out. Yeah we have the same problem here. My family only found out that we co-sleep because when we were TRAVELING ds slept in our bed as opposed to a pack n play which we didn't have. Since then I always get the whole we let you CIO and you turned out fine, and baby needs to self soothe crap. I just ignore it since they all live out of town, and in the end I'm going to do what I think is better for my son.

Congratulations to all of the expectant moms!

Uggh last week my whole family got a cold. It's Landon's first cold and I got so scared since he's never had a cold before. So far it's just lots of cough and runny nose. He seems to be getting better but he's definitely been more clingier than normal.
#683 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM

How are naps going for everyone? Anyone down to just 1 nap yet? Royce will sometimes take 2 naps, but usually that means he's up late with me. If I can push back his nap until at least noon or later then he can manage with just one and go to bed at a reasonable time. He naps for about 2 hours usually.

He still wakes often through the night. I'm trying to get him to go back to sleep on his own every other waking. Well, not on his own, but without the boob It usually works, I will put him on his side or belly and rub his back and he'll go back to sleep. My dad is often asking if he is sleeping through the night yet, and if he is still in the bed with me. I don't really get why he cares. Last night he said one of his employees has a 7 month old who goes to bed at 8pm sharp and sleeps straight through to 6am Good for them! I don't and that's fine with me!

Also, he is getting so much braver with letting go while standing (although still only for a second). I really think he is going to start walking soon. He has also been super clingy and I was thinking maybe that's a sign that he's about to become a bit more independent

And... 6 more days until he is ONE!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#684 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM

We are down to 1 nap a day here as well. Usually from about 12-2 giv or take 30 minutes. Nights are getting better, except that dd has some crazy GI stuff going on and is waking for diarrhea 1-2 times a night. We are going to the dr today with a stool sample. All this started after she had atbx for an ear infection a month agi...ughhh. Other than the poop she only nurses 1-2 times during the night!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#685 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Owyn is still napping twice a day. Her morning nap is much shorter than it used to be though. On the weekends she usually only gets one and seems to do just fine with it. We have a pretty strict routine during the week though and all the little ones take 2 naps a day. The 2 year old rests in the morning with books and the others sleep.

Well with her transitiong to the crib we succeeded in one thing... making her hate her crib. she won't go to sleep in it at all and if I want to lay her down after she's sleeping I have to swaddle her again. And even then she only naps about 30 min in her crib. So her naps have been on the couch with me or in her bouncy seat because she just wakes up the little boy who naps in her room with her. She sleeps better at night, making it several hours in her crib but still ends up in bed with us at some point.

I would really like to have her sleeping in her bed completely before I get pregnant again. And we're talking about trying again in about 8 months so I feel like I'm on a time schedule. And of course I get crap from my mom all the time about how I never should have put her in bed with me and her babies all slept by themselves and all night by 8 weeks. Blah blah blah...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#686 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Mal85, have you tried putting the crib mattress by your bed and letting her sleep on it? Might be worth a try if she knows that she's at least in the same room as you and your dh. Anyway I'm sorry about your family. I get the same crap here from my family about how I should have put him in a crib eleven months ago.

We had to stop transitioning Landon from our bed to his crib because of his cold. Also because of his cold he's been taking longer naps, but usually he still has two. On the weekends he also does fine with one. If we put him to sleep too early like eight then he gets up way too early and just wants to play, also he'd just sit there and cry and cio is not an option for us. So usually he'll start winding down around eight thirty and by nine o' clock is asleep, and wakes up once or twice for his feeding

Mamamillet I hope the dr. visit goes well today for your lo. Have you tried giving her probiotic to replace the good bacteria she lost with the abx? Just an option.
#687 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Yes we started probiotics with the first atbx. Not sure if you guys remember but dd was born with gastroschisis--her intestines were on the outside--and she spent the first 3 weeks on major atbx cause of surgery. I think she is just going ot be more susceptible to gi stuff.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#688 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Makenna is still running a fever in the evenings!! This is going on forever! Poor thing! Seems happier during the days though and is actually playing by herself right now for a change.

Last night Makenna slept 3 hours in her crib then woke up screaming...finally went down then up screaming (practically hyperventillating) 10 minutes later. She ended up in our bed all night...except she laid there and babbled and played until after 2 in the morning! And then she slept until 9 this morning. Ugh!

We mostly do 1 nap bc I have a phobia of puttng her down for naps in her crib so I usually don't do a second nap. I co sleep for the first nap. Lately she has been doing two since she has been sick and just falling asleep on me while nursing or while we're out. I do think she is mostly ok with 1 long one when she isn't sick so I think I will move it later since it's usually around 9 or 10 right now. I think an 11 or 12 nap would get her through the day just fine. I also think I'd have better luck getting her down in her crib for 1 nap when she is really tired than for a 2nd nap when she has already napped for an hour and a half or 2 hours.

We just sent out the evite for M's b-day party. Just doing something small with 8-10 of our friends, all of which have babies. We don't have family in the area so this is it. I think we'd do something bigger if it were warm weather and we could be outside. I'm baking a cake for our birth class b-day party but for this one I think I'll just let her eat the real thing. It won't kill her to enjoy herself on her b-day. :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#689 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM

My son takes 3-4 naps during the day on weekdays, one 30 min nap around 9 am on the way to work he falls asleep in his carseat, sometimes when I run around for my boss he gets a short 10-25 minute nap in the car also, then he takes a nap between 2 and 4 pm that lasts between 30-45 minutes and one nap on the way home from work at 5 pm also 30 minutes. On the weekends he only takes 1 nap that is about 1 hour long. He does not sleep very well at night and nurses every 40 minutes all night long, sometimes he wont even pop off the booby when he does go to sleep so he stays latched on for 2-3 hours at a time. We tried the No cry sleep solution and it failed us first time around but we do plan on trying it again in the near future.

As for walking and such, he will only walk while holing on to our hands but then he tries to run, he stands up on his own and sit down on his own and he can stand in place for 5 or more minutes if he wants to he just wont take a step.
#690 of 1064 Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hmm ... naps and sleeping. Always a fascinating topic.
Esmé and I were at the weekly parent/tot drop in at the health unit, here in our uber crunchy neighbourhood.
There were about a dozen mamas there with babes. I was the only one who co-slept! I thought way more people did it.
Anyway, the topic of yesteday's session was "sleep styles" ... and I have to say, it was comforting to hear that even the people who 'ferberized' () their children had problems. Everyone had challenges.
All I keep telling myself is that this time in her life is so fleeting, and she'll never be this small again, so enjoy every waking moment of it. EVERY waking moment.
DD actually sleeps quite well most nights. Down at nine, wakes three times or so to nurse, awake at nine. As for naps, she still has two. She probably could go to one, but we want time with her in the evening when DP comes home.
She has a nap from 12-1pm most days, and then another one from 4-5pm.
I am terrified of going back to work though, and how that will affect her sleep. I think she'll not be able to settle back to sleep without the boob. And DP isn't willing to offer hers (hahahahah!!!) so it will be interesting to see how they manage.
I'll be leaving at about 445am. Hm. Should be interesting. She's a good napper though, even though I nurse her to sleep, she can go to sleep in the carrier with anyone, or the stroller, if need be.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page