February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 25 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#721 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Royce turns ONE today!! Happy Birthday Royce!!

At this time last year I had been pushing for 1.5 hours and still had 1.5 hours left to go But it was all worth it

His party went very well! The balloons were a big hit, although we had to make sure they stayed out of his mouth I will post a few photos from the party onto our fb page in case anyone is interested

ETA - sorry for the abundant use of smilies (and there's one more!)

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#722 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

What are you all getting your LOs for their first birthday?? We're going all out with the party and the cake, etc. I'm just not sure what to get her. I had a couple of toys in mind. But recently we're having some issues with her diapers. I need to get her a whole new stash because she's breaking out very frequently with her diapers. We were using unbleached prefolds when she was small and when I moved her up a size, I went with bleached prefolds because they were on sale. But ever since we made the switch, she keeps getting bad diaper rashes... sores on her bottom, screaming when I wipe her, the works. And when I put her in pockets overnight, she's almost completely cleared up by morning. We tried changing our washing system and detergent, even the wipes. We've narrowed it down to the diapers themselves. Diapers are just so expensive when you're buying a whole stash at once... and with her being so squirmy now, I wasn't loving the prefolds anymore, anyway.

I found these... http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=2156

I like them, they're cheaper than pockets or AIOs, kind of a simplified prefold system it looks like. And I love the one size, snap covers. Would it be awful of us to get her diapers for her birthday? She'll be getting lots of loot from friends and family anyway...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#723 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 12:19 PM

Mal: I think Owyn's bum will think that is a fantastic gift!

I think we might just do 1 small toy. I'm thinking of these really colorful nesting boxes. We just got all the x-mas toys shipped from Indiana a couple days ago and our living room is taken over. Plus I know the grandparents are each getting her something (clothes, teething necklace, first baby doll). We said no gifts for her party! She really has enough stuff for now.

We had our birth class birthday party for 6 of the 7 babies yesterday. So cute! And so fun to see how far they've all come in a year!! Loved watching them all eat cake! I did a low sugar carrot cake but for her party I'm going to let her play with a real cake that I plan to purchase. This cake was a disaster.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#724 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Happy birthday, Royce!!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#725 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

happy b-day Royce and Gillian!!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#726 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Happy Birthday Royce and Gillian!!

Mal: diapers are a great gift!

I ordered Fiona a stacking toy and peg toy from etsy and a little waldorf style baby doll from a toy garden.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#727 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Mal - what about just buying some extra pocket diapers and stuffing them with the prefolds you already have? I recently bought Royce some new pockets, I usually just use the pocket diapers as covers and line them with nb prefolds, but when my husband has him or when he is with other family I stuff the pockets (usually just with prefolds) so it's easier for them to change. But if that won't work then I think new diapers is a fine present!

Royce's b-day present from me is going to be some toy storage, so not too exciting! Well, also my mom gave me some money to buy him something and so I ordered him these 2 things from ape2zebra (they were donating profits to Haiti all this past weekend, plus our government was matching dollar for dollar so I thought I'd spend some money there!):

http://www.ape2zebra.com/plan-toys-m...instuments.asp

http://www.ape2zebra.com/plan-toys-w...arn-colors.asp

Cindy - I'm sorry your cake didn't turn out well The banana cake I did tasted good, but I'm afraid my decorating skills weren't the best! And while everyone at the party liked it - Royce did not! He picked it up and put it on my dad's plate who was sitting next to him

#728 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Happy Birthday to Royce and Happy Birth Day to his mama!

I think dipes are a great prezzie, Mal.

We're not getting DD anything for her actual birthday, but are saving up for a Waldorf Birthday Ring for next year and a bike trailer for the spring.

We're not doing prezzies for her party either, and have asked that people bring a non-perishable donation or a small cash donation for the local food bank, both of which we'll match. And we're doing a foodie lunch for Esmé, with all of her favourite people and all of her favourite food: baked risotto cake, pulled pork, blueberries, strawberries, minted peas, roasted squash, cheese scones, and an apple upside-down cake for her to blow out a candle on. Yum, yum!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#729 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Happy Birthday Royce!!!!!!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#730 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM

I love that this group is still active. It's great recognizing all of the posters. : )
I'm having fun planning Clara's 1st Birthday party. I am trying to do a purple butterfly theme. I think we are going to be getting her a nice organic cloth doll that I will feel safe with her cuddling. She hasn't attached herself to any lovies yet (just me). Maybe this one:

http://www.euphoriababy.com/store/pc...l-118p1709.htm
We started combating the screetching or whining for something by teaching her to sign "Please" which is a flat hand rubbed over your heart. Clara's version looks more like "half a funky chicken" (according to her Daddy) as she does a fist and pumps her arm vigorously, but it is far nicer than whining! We are adding more signs quickly. We started after she had mastered "bye-bye" and seemed ready for signs and she is learning them quickly!
Despite EFB night and day for a very long time, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, etc. AF came back for me at 2 months, barely two weeks after PPF stopped. It wasn't very regular and I had a scare or two. Too bad. I was hoping that I could go without it at least a few months more!

We are thinking about a May or June 2011 baby too. It seems like it'd be nice to have a little baby in summer months. I am trying to think about preparing my body for pregnancy again, but it just boggles my brain.
One of the reasons I came here, though, was because I am mildly worried about my daughter's speech development. She doesn't say "Da-da." She says, "Mama", "Uh-oh", "Hi", "Bye-bye," "Hey!", and "Papa." She growls, imitates noises like squeaky shoes or dogs, imitates words like "diaper" or "thank you" in baby talk. She tested fine on her hearing at one day old and has never seemed to have an issue any other time. But in the many, many times we have worked with her to say "Dada" she says "gnu, gnu" kind of a gutteral, deep throated sound. Should I be worried?

Thanks, Mamas! And Happy Birthday to Royce and Gillian!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#731 of 1064 Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

We are thinking about a May or June 2011 baby too. It seems like it'd be nice to have a little baby in summer months. I am trying to think about preparing my body for pregnancy again, but it just boggles my brain.
One of the reasons I came here, though, was because I am mildly worried about my daughter's speech development. She doesn't say "Da-da." She says, "Mama", "Uh-oh", "Hi", "Bye-bye," "Hey!", and "Papa." She growls, imitates noises like squeaky shoes or dogs, imitates words like "diaper" or "thank you" in baby talk. She tested fine on her hearing at one day old and has never seemed to have an issue any other time. But in the many, many times we have worked with her to say "Dada" she says "gnu, gnu" kind of a gutteral, deep throated sound. Should I be worried?

Thanks, Mamas! And Happy Birthday to Royce and Gillian!
We are hoping for a May/June 2011 baby, too. Maybe we'll be in a DDC together again!

Clara's speech sounds very comparable to Owyn's. There are just a few things she consistently says... She says "What's/Who's that" but it sounds more like "Ssss dat!" She also says "Mama" but not often. She most often says "Dada" right when DH gets home from work. She has just started saying "No no" and "Uh oh". But that's really it. She babbles all the time and screeches and generally bosses everyone around with her tone and gestures. She's pretty funny to watch!

#732 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Happy birthday Royce!

I wasn't intending to get Katmai anything for his birthday - he has plenty. I don't really want anyone else to go buy presents either, but I'm not sure I'll be entirely successful in that.

If you're worried about Clara's speech, then I really should be worried! Katmai doesn't really say any words yet, or any signs. He babbles and communicates by pointing and waving and clapping, and there's certainly no way to tell him to imitate a sound or word (though he likes it when we imitate his). But he recognizes words no problem, and at his checkup last week they didn't think anything was wrong with his speech. So, yeah, I don't think you should worry at all.
#733 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Josie - I agree with McKittre - if you are worried about Clara's speech then I should also REALLY be worried. Royce doesn't say any words (sometimes mama comes out when he's crying/upset, and he did say dog a few times a while back, but hasn't lately). He doesn't try and imitate me or any other sound. He doesn't sign or point. I wish I could teach him to sign, I'm not very consistent with it. But he whines/cries a lot and maybe signing would help reduce that. It is very frustrating!

Starling - have you researched bike trailers at all? I also want to get one in the spring. I originally thought I would get a bike seat, but I read an article that had a good overview of the pros/cons of each and now I'm leaning more towards bike trailer. There are so many though! I may just end up going to our local bike store and seeing what they have/recommend.

#734 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Josie- It is really very early for our babies to be saying more than a few words. The NORM is one word by the first birthday and Clara definitely has that and more. My son didn't really say anything other than jewch which mean chocolate milk and juice and mama and dada until he was 20 mos and now he is the most loquacious 3yr old around. Thanks for the tip on getting her to sign please. I will have to be more diligent about that. I remember now I taught my son please and help so he wouldn't scream in frustration.

Gillian- I have a chariot and while they are pricey they last a really long time. I got my single used and kept it for 2 yrs before my daughter was born and we bought a double. It was still in amazing shape. I sold it again for almost what I bought it for. The nice thing about the bike trailer aspect is that you can keep the handle and the front wheels on it upside down and then if you stop on a trail and want to wheel the trailer closer than the bike can go it converts very fast into a stroller. It also has so many attachments for cross country skiing and hiking and jogging. I love mine can u tell .

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#735 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post

Starling - have you researched bike trailers at all? I also want to get one in the spring. I originally thought I would get a bike seat, but I read an article that had a good overview of the pros/cons of each and now I'm leaning more towards bike trailer. There are so many though! I may just end up going to our local bike store and seeing what they have/recommend.
I was going to get one last summer when Esmé was first sitting up, but didn't because research shows it's best to have slightly older babies/toddlers in there, so here we are, looking to get one now. And how overwhelming! I, too, wanted the seat, but again, more research ... and it seems less safe, because baby falls when you fall. On the other hand, riding around in front of a low trailer behind me makes me nervous because of visibility. We'll be sticking to bike paths though, so hopefully that will be okay. We'll get one of those flags too.
My dream bike set-up is this fabulous creation., but that's a loooooooooooooong way off, unless I get a movie deal or some other big windfall of moolah.
I think we're going to go second hand if we get a trailer. Craigslist here I come!
But I am still thinking about a Wee Ride, which puts the babe in front of you. I think that would be safer.
Too many choices. Meh.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#736 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Gillian28- Happy Birthday to you and Royce!

Starling- sorry for asking, but what is a waldorf ring?

Anyway I'm not sure what I'm going to get Landon yet, and I'm going to have to do his party around March because unfortunately (well, more fortunately) we'll be moving and I don't want to add anymore stress on top of moving.

As far as speech goes, he doesn't really say "mama" everything here is dada or "nha nha" or "hmmm." I suspect that's partly because we're bilingual here. Well so far I've been told to teach him English now and wait till he is a little older to teach him my original language because I'm confusing him. I've also been told that I'm doing fine so I don't know. His wbv is in a few weeks so I guess I'll ask his dr. My guess is that he's fine because he would eventually pick up English at school anyway. I also read somewhere that bilingual babies take longer to talk for some reason. I hope that's his case.

I absolutely looove to go mountain biking. I need to find a good bike that I can take Landon in but we'll have to wait for all the snow to melt around here. We're getting snow for the rest of the week.
#737 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post

Starling- sorry for asking, but what is a waldorf ring?
Here's an example of a birthday ring ... I can't wait to start the tradition with our family!

#738 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM

BRmama: My nieces are bilingual as well (Danish and English). My SIL always spoke to the girls in Danish from the time they were babes and my brother in English. They really do well with both languages and picked up early on who could speak which language! (well, they liked to keep Danish secrets from Daddy! SIL can speak English as well as Danish). Yes, speech can be a little later then peers but really not by much and then they are fluent in both languages. I'm sure that you are doing great!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#739 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM

We're bilingual here too, or Esmé will be, that is. My partner is francophone, so speaks French to her, especially when they have time together without me. Esmé is learning both languages. She'll probably do her schooling in French, but we speak English at home as a family. My partner take her to a French early-start program at L'ecole Anne Hebert, where she'll likely go to preschool and then elementary school.

#740 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 PM

Yes, the chariot trailers are very nice! I really like the sidecarrier one, but I read somewhere that it works on very few bikes. And, I cross country ski, so that would be nice, but I don't think I'm good enough to be able to tow the trailer anyway! I've got a couple of months before the snow is gone so plenty of time to figure it out.

Oh, and thank you everyone for the birthday wishes for Royce and the birth day wishes for me I did a lot of reminiscing, actually I still am, constantly thinking about what I was doing at this time last year

Who's birthday is next??

#741 of 1064 Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 PM

I found a Canadian etsy shop for the birthday ring and it was more affordable than I expected! I ordered one just now, and it should be here in time for her birthday. He's charging $60 for the whole set-up ... ring, candles, figurines!

And he was a pleasure to deal with, too. If you're in the market for one, you won't find a better price.

#742 of 1064 Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 AM

I think Makenna's birthday might be next. Her's is the 29th. And if I recall Esme is on the 31st?

I'm going to have to check out the birthday ring idea. Looks so cute. Not sure we can spend the money though.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#743 of 1064 Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM

DH is great with woodworking and is going to make us a birthday ring. I'll purchase the candles and pieces for it as we go. I'm looking forward to starting this tradition too!

#744 of 1064 Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Mallory, DH bought me a new scroll saw for Christmas, so I am going to be making DD some little animals and a birthday ring, too. I just have to find some totally safe paints...but I will probably just leave them natural, maybe oil them....and would LOVE to get a wood burner.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#745 of 1064 Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
Mallory, DH bought me a new scroll saw for Christmas, so I am going to be making DD some little animals and a birthday ring, too. I just have to find some totally safe paints...but I will probably just leave them natural, maybe oil them....and would LOVE to get a wood burner.
Did he happen to get a good deal on it? I would love to get DH a scroll saw so he could make smaller, more detailed things, like small toys. He can do the ring with what he has, but not the small pieces. Maybe his birthday this year...

#746 of 1064 Old 01-20-2010, 05:10 PM

SO I am juts coming on to vent for a moment. DP lost his job last week and has decided to go work for his parents...7.5 hours away. That leaves me at home with 2 kiddos. Not sure how often we will be able to see him. Not sure how long he will be up there. Not sure how quickly he can got on the new insurance--the kids are carried by him. I am uninsured. Not sure if he will be able to come down for dd's b-day on the 28th. Not knowing all these things and having no control is stressing me out!!! I am also exhausted form realy bad sleep as of late.

Ok I am done...carry on

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#747 of 1064 Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM

mamamillet - I'm sorry you are having a hard time - that sounds like a very hard and stressful situation. Is this something permanent? Will you have to relocate eventually?

#748 of 1064 Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM

mamamillet That sounds rough! I hope things smooth out soon.

As for me, I did a practice run at going back to work today. I did a ride-along with my old preceptor on his shift. I did nine hours while DP was home with Esmé. Esmé and DP had a GREAT day. I came home, DD glommed onto my boob, while DP told me about what a fabulous time they had. I'm thrilled it went so well for them. And I was so busy on the ambulance that I didn't have much time to be sad about it. Two heroine overdoses in as many hours! I think we'll be okay. Mind you, twelve hours is a lot longer, plus mandatory overtime, so we'll see. The winter olympics are here next month, so it's going to be crazy, especially for us paramedics.
I realize it's impossible to pump at work. No possibility. We didn't even get back to the station, so the best I could do was hand-express in the bathroom at the hospital. Not ideal. We'll see how my supply handles it.

#749 of 1064 Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Starling, what I did when I didn't get the opportunity to pump or the pump wasn't being efficient enough and I felt my supply drop was I pumped after or along with my ds's feedings. I'd do it for 2 days and then my supply would rebound in full force for the rest of my days off so I'd just keep the extra to send along with ds in case I couldn't pump. But at that point the rule of thumb was chuck it after 72hrs. Now you can keep it in the fridge for 8 DAYS wowza! I can pump enough on my days off for my days on and not have to freeze. This is great since dd doesn't like the taste of thawed milk. By the way so glad your test day went well. We have another one today and one next week and then the real thing on the 5th phew!!! It went so incredibly fast! I'm going to miss my babies. Makes me realize I want to go back to school and get my master's if only to get a little flexibility in my work schedule. I don't want to miss every third activity kwim?

I'm almost done solo parenting for the week. It wasn't as hard as last time at least dd is sleeping better. But I really miss my hubby. My SIL came over last night and brought dinner and helped with my ds's bedtime so that was great.

#750 of 1064 Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Josie - I agree with McKittre - if you are worried about Clara's speech then I should also REALLY be worried. Royce doesn't say any words (sometimes mama comes out when he's crying/upset, and he did say dog a few times a while back, but hasn't lately). He doesn't try and imitate me or any other sound. He doesn't sign or point. I wish I could teach him to sign, I'm not very consistent with it. But he whines/cries a lot and maybe signing would help reduce that. It is very frustrating!
Josie and Gilian, I hear you both. Aubrey only says "Bah bah bah" over and over, which can mean mama, daddy, food, down, gimme, and who knows what else. Sometimes she says "uh oh" and "wow" but I'm not sure if it's intentional. She does sign "eat" but I'm not consistent enough with anything else... But they'll all get there in time. I worry about her hearing because she's had issues with ear infections and persistent fluid in the ears, but we've been ear infection free for about a month and a half so I'm hesitant to do anything (doc recommends tubes). I'm trying not to worry too much! Yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page