February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1064 Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the greater awareness of things is what makes him cry at strangers sometimes now. And he cried when a large machine came to do digging at our house. I also think the awareness is linked to humor - he laughs at a lot more things now too. Things that are a little bit strange (funny faces, noises, etc...) are funny. Things that are really strange are scary. Which I take to mean that he's getting a much better idea of what normal is, in order to figure that out.

He also only likes to roll back to belly. He rolled the other way first, but basically never does it. He likes being on his belly better, unless he's too frustrated at the lack of mobility.

We've taken him on a few short backpacking trips (3 days max), and are planning a 4 day trip this weekend. He goes hiking nearly every day though, and loves it.
#182 of 1064 Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can totally see the awareness issue. Owyn is the same way when she's nursing. She can't stand it if I'm in a room with other people who are talking. She makes a big ole mess trying to eat and pay attention to what's going on at the same time. She's also stopped falling asleep during church, because she's too busy watching everything that's happening.

She also laughing and crying more at external stimuli. She has started crying when I vacuum. If we're watching something funny on TV, she cries when DH laughs too loudly or suddenly. She sometimes cries when someone else is holding her and I leave the room, but usually only if she's sleepy or getting hungry. Otherwise she's very social. She cried at my husband's aunt the other night. She hasn't seen her in a while and she has crazy curly hair and a spunky personality. I think she was just a little much for DD.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#183 of 1064 Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM

dh burped loudly while changing the baby and that made him cry! like "my parents are so RUDE!"
i hadn't thought about the way that he's starting to figure out 'normal'. that makes so much sense.

i've been meaning to post about this as well- he eats so much. he used to nurse a. lot. like for 10 hours straight sometimes and now that he's eating solids too there is no stopping him. the other day he was eating a peach and i kept having to take it away to peel off more skin and every time i would take it away he would scream bloody murder. heaven help us if he finishes whatever he was eating but isn't full yet.. last night he was eating yogurt and he wasnt content with eating off a spoon (normally he grabs the spoon and i help guide it in) but last night he had to slurp it out of the bowl, and when it was gone it was like a bomb went off! i had to refill the bowl while he was still slurping at the remaining yogurt. and now its 9am and he is still sound asleep.
anybody else have a baby who is an eating machine?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#184 of 1064 Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Hey ladies,

Love all the updates. Don't you love the baby laughter?! I swear I'm addicted to hearing my DD laugh, laugh, laugh.

Nothing new on my end. She's not into solids yet so we're waiting on them a little longer. Other than that, she's rolling and babbling -- and laughing! Here's a clip of her laughing from a few weeks ago. Turn up the volume! Please excuse my looks. I had just returned from a day of studying (bar exam).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnnD8r2qL1c

hope all is well moms!
#185 of 1064 Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 PM

can I just come here for a sigh and a hug? My MIL is in town for a visit. Enough said.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#186 of 1064 Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
can I just come here for a sigh and a hug? My MIL is in town for a visit. Enough said.
btdt. good luck

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#187 of 1064 Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz28 View Post
..Here's a clip of her laughing from a few weeks ago... (bar exam).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnnD8r2qL1c

hope all is well moms!
SO cute!!!

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#188 of 1064 Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine02 View Post
Hi ladies- I was in the feb ddc but had a March 3 baby. Man it was hard waiting and waiting when all the babies were coming- I so hoped she would come early. It is nice to see names that I recognize. Anyway, little Phoebe is getting her second tooth, was rolling over both ways at 4 months. She is such a squiggler! She loves to kick and she holds herself up on her belly so high!. I try not to worry about sleep stretches because I pump during the day and know that she needs to eat at night since I only pump 12-14 oz. Such is life. glad to be back!
Second tooth! Aubrey still doesn't have any teeth--six months today. My baby book says I had two teeth at 17 weeks, and I'm definitely relieved that Aubrey's are slower to come in. She's not very interested in being mobile, either. She just wants to walk, and seems completely uninterested in crawling. Who knows.

#189 of 1064 Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 AM

Aleric now has 2 teeth! He got his first one on Sunday (he was 6 months on the 7th) and the second one on Tuesday! I am so excited for it but he was so sad when they were coming in and his gums bled His 6 month well baby visit went not so great though, the doctor (whom I normally like) started it off with how good hes doing, he was 29" and 19 lbs, then after I told him he still eats 97% breast milk he started the "you need rice cereal and blended, pureed veggies" I was like whatever he eats slices of peaches and chews on carrots and has no problems. Then he asked where he slept I told him he starts the night in the crib next to my bed, then he ends up sleeping with us halfway through the night because he gets hungry and its easier for me to do it that way and he told me that in ten years he will still be in my bed and I will never be able to get him out of our bed. : So thanks for reading my rant! how is everyone else doing?
#190 of 1064 Old 08-15-2009, 02:09 AM

No teeth here either. Perhaps that's why he's been unsuccessful in eating so far? We've only been offering him food for a little less than a week, but I doubt he's swallowed a thing. He likes to suck on broccoli stalks though.

He's pulling himself up to standing on the edge of the cardboard box we sometimes leave him to play in. Time to find a new (more sturdy) place to put him!

I'm now totally convinced that he understands his name, and understands when we ask if he wants to nurse. Half the time he seems to understand the hi-five game too. I can't tell on anything else. How about your babies?
#191 of 1064 Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
he seems to understand the hi-five game too.
yes! its the cutest thing!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#192 of 1064 Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Owyn says mama! It is the most precious thing I've ever heard. I seriously doubt she knows it's me, but when she's playing she says in the sweetest little voice "ma-ma ma-ma". Always that many times. She also says "ba-ba".

Just yesterday, she figured out how to scoot backwards on her belly. She was very serious about it, too. She made it all the way from the living room into the dining room, but once she got off the carpet and onto the hardwood she didn't know what to do.

I recently borrowed a jumperoo from my sister, and now Owyn prefers that over either one of her parents. DH is a little jealous of it. And when we hold her, all she wants to do is jump!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#193 of 1064 Old 08-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Fiona is working on some stubborn teeth. Her first two (bottom) came in with no problems at 4 months. These top ones are stubborn as hell and have been giving her a heck of a time. Her gums are bulging and I can see the white of one of the teeth. I hope they come through soon.

She's been saying Mama too. Sometimes when she's really upset she says Mama over and over. I don't really know if she knows that is me but sometimes I think so. She's also signed milk several times. Many times in context... just before she latches on, but lots of times when she's grabbing at a toy or eating and wants more food or water. So again, I think she knows that she is communicating but not always using the right word. Its really exciting!!

Just in the last week I feel that she's had a major jump in development. She can sit up with out support for little bits and she is trying to crawl! I think she'll be crawling soon. Yikes! I have to get on this baby proofing thing!!

MIL is still here but with DH off of work now that its the weekend its much better. I have a hard time when its just the three of us. She's here till Monday. I can make it! She's a bit freaked with just about every choice we are making but I don't really care. BLW is probably the biggest one! : Is it bad that I kind of like pushing her buttons?! I know, I'm evil.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#194 of 1064 Old 08-15-2009, 11:41 PM

DD just started making chewing motions all the time...but there is nothing in her mouth. I am wondering if it's practice chewing or a sign of teething? Does anyone know? It makes me giggle. No teeth here yet.

I just can't get over how big my tiny baby is getting! I visited a friend last week who had her baby early and her baby was about the size DD was....but I can't imagine my baby was ever quite that small!

I'm going to be doing some work from home next week and need to hire a mother's helper. Separation anxiety is super high here right now. I was just down visiting my family this week and it took 2 days before DD would let my mom hold her without crying. So this mother's helper thing is going to be interesting! I hope I'll be able to actually get some work done the first couple days.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#195 of 1064 Old 08-16-2009, 12:21 AM

I'm jealous of all the "talkers"! I keep waiting for anything that sounds even vaguely like human language, but all I get is grunts and squawks and pants and squeals.

I think his separation anxiety is getting slightly better. We'll see. Another grandma is coming to visit tonight. Then I'll see how he does on a 4 day backpack trip! (longest yet with baby)
#196 of 1064 Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 PM

Hello!! It's so nice to read everyone's updates! I can't believe all the things some babies are doing - crazy! My DS will be 7 months on the 18th. He has been sitting for a long time, but isn't crawling yet. He doesn't roll either, but he's never really on his belly. Once he learned to sit that was all he wanted to do. It is so nice to be able to sit him down with his toys and let him play on his own so I can have a meal or get something done. He tells lots of 'stories' but definitely no 'mama' yet. Solids are going well. I can't even have him at the table with us unless I have something for him to play with/chew on. He get's so angry if we have food and he doesn't. I give him pieces of fruit or vegetables and I think he has started to swallow bits if it's soft enough (no teeth yet!). He is a very happy baby - always smiling and laughing. I even have strangers comment on how happy he is (he smiles for everyone). He's my little charmer. He still isn't a very good sleeper (for example, today it is now after 3:30pm and he has napped a total of 30 minutes today). And he's still waking often through the night. Oh well!!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#197 of 1064 Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM

ds has yelled MAAA-MAAA at me three times so far. twice while being upset in his car seat and one upset while i was cooking. not sure if he knows thats a word or if its a coincidence.. i have heard dada as well.

#198 of 1064 Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Hi Ladies-
A little late to join, but I hope I can jump in.
My little Felix was born Feb. 8th this year and it is great to read about all these other babies and what they are doing now.
He has started saying mama and buhbuh (I think its papa- Papa is his daytime caretaker when I am at work), and just in the last few days sitting on his own. I think he is really teething now, normally he rarely cries or fusses, but the last week or so he has been kinda cranky, with a runny nose, and lots of "sad face".
I don't feel any teeth though...
I am feeling a little discouraged with pumping (I pump at work- he has been able to be exclusivly bfed), I seem to be getting less and less, and would appreciate any tips or encouragement, I don't want our bfing relationship to end so young!
#199 of 1064 Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBinWA View Post
Hi Ladies-
A little late to join, but I hope I can jump in.
My little Felix was born Feb. 8th this year and it is great to read about all these other babies and what they are doing now.
He has started saying mama and buhbuh (I think its papa- Papa is his daytime caretaker when I am at work), and just in the last few days sitting on his own. I think he is really teething now, normally he rarely cries or fusses, but the last week or so he has been kinda cranky, with a runny nose, and lots of "sad face".
I don't feel any teeth though...
I am feeling a little discouraged with pumping (I pump at work- he has been able to be exclusivly bfed), I seem to be getting less and less, and would appreciate any tips or encouragement, I don't want our bfing relationship to end so young!
Hello my son Aleric was born on the 7th of Feb. for the teething have you tried an amber teething necklace? I just ordered one but everyone I have talked to says they help a lot. For the pumping, I drink a tea that boosts my supply and it helps a lot, if you haven't already you can try that.
#200 of 1064 Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Welcome MamaBinWA!

I start my daycare this morning. Wish me luck!

#201 of 1064 Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Welcome MamaBinWA!

Good luck!!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#202 of 1064 Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Welcome MamaBinWA!

How'd your first day go? I started in May and have all babies. On one hand, I'm fortunate they're all the same age and will grow together and I'm doing the same types of things for all of them. On the other hand, when they're all awake and waiting to be fed and the one year old is into everything, it's pretty crazy. Naps are consistent and important, though and are my saving grace, lol!

I had a new baby start on Monday and she's such a sweetheart. Reminds me of Owyn when she was a newborn.

#203 of 1064 Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Everything went great! I was thinking of you Mal with your babies. I can't believe you added a new baby to the mix! You are superwoman!! I have 3 kiddos, 2, 2.5, and 3.5. The 2.5 and 3.5 were here yesterday. They are sweet kids. Fiona liked watching them play. I think its going to work out well. All the kids are part time and mostly in the morning. Its nice to still have the afternoon with just Fiona and me.

#204 of 1064 Old 08-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Anyone's lo pull themselves to standing yet? The other night I had Felix in his play yard (which still has the bassinet level in it) while I was packing boxes (we are moving-funfunfun) and he had been sitting in the middle, and when I looked over at him he had grabbed the edge and pulled himself to his feet and was leaning over the edge!
He seemed to think it was pretty funny.
#205 of 1064 Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Everything went great! I was thinking of you Mal with your babies. I can't believe you added a new baby to the mix! You are superwoman!! I have 3 kiddos, 2, 2.5, and 3.5. The 2.5 and 3.5 were here yesterday. They are sweet kids. Fiona liked watching them play. I think its going to work out well. All the kids are part time and mostly in the morning. Its nice to still have the afternoon with just Fiona and me.
So glad it's going well for you! The babies I keep are very sweet babies, I've been lucky to get fairly easy going kiddos. The new one is a sweetie, but she is pretty gassy and it seems to be painful for her, so that's no fun. We have crazy days here and there, when I'm ready to pull my hair out by the end of the day. This week is an adjustment with the new one, but she's falling in pretty easily. She's still young enough that she sleeps a lot of the time, it's just kind of throwing the others for a loop having another here.

All that being said, I have a possible job opportunity that came my way unexpectedly. I'm so undecided on what to do. It's a Family Development Specialist for the Head Start program in my town. I'd be working with families in poverty and setting up a plan of action for job training and things like that, as well as making sure they are following their plan set up through the program. The hours are flexible, meaning I can choose to go in early throughout the week and take Fridays off or work a half day, which would be great. I'd be off by 4, have state benefits, make about the same as I am now, and have my summers off. Summers off was huge to me, I'm already imagining all the things I could do with Owyn (outside of the house) with my summers off.

I contacted their human resources department and am waiting to hear back. The more I think about it, the more I want to go for it. But part of me has this tug to stay home. I love my daytime hours with Owyn, but am feeling stretched a little thin with all the other babies I'm caring for. I'm not too worried about child care. I have a sister who is a SAHM and I'm sure would love the opportunity to make a little extra money by keeping Owyn. Ugh... any advice?

#206 of 1064 Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM

MamaB: my baby can also pull himself to standing. He's been doing it in the cardboard box we sometimes put him in, which isn't too stable! So we're trying to set him up with a better place to practice.

He did awesome on our 4 day backpack trip (bushwhacking, scree slopes, snowfields, the works...), only getting a little fussy for the final paddling section (I think he finds the boat more boring than walking).
#207 of 1064 Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM

mckittre- That sounds amazing. Felix has only gone on 1 night camping trips so far, but he loves it. I can't wait to have time to take some longer ones!
#208 of 1064 Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
All that being said, I have a possible job opportunity that came my way unexpectedly. I'm so undecided on what to do. It's a Family Development Specialist for the Head Start program in my town. I'd be working with families in poverty and setting up a plan of action for job training and things like that, as well as making sure they are following their plan set up through the program. The hours are flexible, meaning I can choose to go in early throughout the week and take Fridays off or work a half day, which would be great. I'd be off by 4, have state benefits, make about the same as I am now, and have my summers off. Summers off was huge to me, I'm already imagining all the things I could do with Owyn (outside of the house) with my summers off.
Sounds AWESOME! That is a dream job, mama! Take it! Take it! Sounds like you can manifest a beautiful work/life balance with a job like that. And what a fulfilling job! When I go back to work, my shifts will be 12 hours, not including mandatory overtime and getting there and back. What I would give for something with a little flexibility! My only saving grace is that I hope to get away with working two days a week, with Esmé hanging with her baba (her other mother) and auntie and grandma, alternately. I still have 5 months to go on mat leave, but I will admit to looking forward to the challenges that come with being a paramedic again. Give me a good ol' straightforward busted femur verus trying to figure out my little human bean!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#209 of 1064 Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 PM

mal: That job sounds amazing! You should go for it! It sounds like you really want it and with your lo being with family while you are away it would be really great! This was my first summer off and it was glorious! I say go for it!! God luck with your decision!

#210 of 1064 Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM

It sounds like I'm going for it with the job. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. It's something totally different than anything else I've ever done, but I think it will be very fulfilling. A close friend of mine just got a position as a lead teacher at the Head Start preschool, she's the one that informed me about the position. She's been getting info for me about it. I can't get ahold of anyone in the office because they're in training all week this week, so I'm anxiously awaiting a response.

Apparently, I'm the only person that has shown interest in the job and the fact that I have a degree in the field made them all perk up. I got a number for the person I'd be replacing and I'm supposed to call her first thing Monday morning. From the sound of it, if I want the job it's pretty much mine since they need someone right away and haven't had any takers so far.

I'd actually be working side-by-side with my close friend. We'd be doing home visits together and setting up the plans for the families together. Which is even better, don't have to get to know another new person and I know I work well with this person already. So, now I just have to wait until Monday so I get talk to an actual person! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page