February 09 mamas-a new home here? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1064 Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here we go! This way we can still chat with those not on fb!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#2 of 1064 Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM

nak

i had an early march due date (so i'm in the march DDC), but my baby was born at the very end of feb, so i'll probably be lurking around here to see what's going on with other february babes.

hi!

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#3 of 1064 Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 AM

Thanks for starting! :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#4 of 1064 Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yay! :
Thanks for starting it, monkaha!
It's great to have a place for those of us not on Facebook!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 1064 Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM

I'm in the FB group too, but I'll join both!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#6 of 1064 Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I'm here too! Thanks for starting this!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#7 of 1064 Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Great!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#8 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Liv and I are here!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#9 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 AM

Hi everybody! I had a Jan due date but ended up with a February baby so I will join in on this thread :
#10 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM

I'm in too!

#11 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 PM

nak

ok ... let's start chatting! Naps ... tell me about you LO and naps. Do they?
Don't they? Where? How? How long?
Esmé falls asleep in her carrier on our morning walk ... sleeps about half an hour. Then she falls asleep on our afternoon stroller walk, another half hour, maybe. Then she might doze another 20 minutes around 6pm some days.
That's it! Then she falls asleep for the night between 8-9pm and sleeps through, hardly rousing to nurse. Am i doing something wrong? Or does that sound ok to you? I have a publisher deadline I'm supposed to meet and won't get it done at this rate!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#12 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Each of my kids has been different. Anthony, now 3mos, usually takes a morning and an afternoon nap, with some catnaps before and after each. Then goes down about 9pm for 4-6 hours, then nurses a couple-three times (in our bed, I'm half asleep so don't know times) before we get up for the day.

I just put him down in the bassinette so that I could put some laundry in and he fell asleep on his own! That NEVER happened with DD and was rare with DS1. Anthony has been much more tolerant of being put down, I feel like I have to be careful not to abuse that. Of course, it's not like I'm setting him down and leaving him alone; I'm in the same room, plus the big kids and DH are in and out amusing him. It just seems weird after having DD, who refused to be put down ever for any amount of time, and DS1, who was ok with it for maybe 5 min at a time.

Starling, can you work on your deadline at night, after she falls asleep? Nap with her when she does her day naps and then you could have longer to work uninterrupted at nite. Hope you find something that works!

#13 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Royce usually get's up for the day around 6:30-7:00 and will be up for an hour or so with dh. Then he often will have an hour nap with me (I'm usually still in bed ). He will usually sleep in the wrap during our late morning walk (30 min to an hour). Then after lunch he has a long nap (about 2 hours) again with me next to him - sometimes I can sneak away to get some chores done. Then he usually is tired right around supper time and will have a short nap or we go for a walk and he naps in the wrap. He usually goes to bed at around 8:00, with me next to him. The odd time I can get up to do somethine, but that usually only lasts a maximum of 20-30 minutes. And he does not sleep through the night - between when I fall asleep (around 10) and his morning wake up he will wake 2-3 times and nurse back to sleep. HIs wakings are very brief though as we cosleep and so we are both back to sleep in minutes.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#14 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Owyn naps like it's heaven. The only easy part of her sleeping habit is her naps. She wakes up between 6:30-7:00, stays awake about an hour and a half to two hours. Between 8:30-9:00 she goes down for a 2-2.5 hour nap. She wakes up for about 2 hours, then goes back down for a 2-3 hour nap. She'll stay awake another two hours or so, then takes a 30-45 min. cat nap. After she's been awake about an hour, we start her bedtime routine (bath, massage, pj's, nurse, and rock). She falls asleep around 8:00, but beyond that is a work in progress.

Naps are easy for us, it helps that I have two other babies here during the day and they follow the same napping schedule. She just synced up with their schedule when they started coming. Before that, naps were sporadic and had no rhyme or reason.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#15 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

mal... do you lay her down while she's still drowsy?
Gillian... your day sounds a lot like mine!

#16 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
nak

ok ... let's start chatting! Naps ... tell me about you LO and naps. Do they?
Don't they? Where? How? How long?
Esmé falls asleep in her carrier on our morning walk ... sleeps about half an hour. Then she falls asleep on our afternoon stroller walk, another half hour, maybe. Then she might doze another 20 minutes around 6pm some days.
That's it! Then she falls asleep for the night between 8-9pm and sleeps through, hardly rousing to nurse. Am i doing something wrong? Or does that sound ok to you? I have a publisher deadline I'm supposed to meet and won't get it done at this rate!
Oh thank goodness! I thought Aellyn was the only one! She sleeps at night like a dream - 12 hours with 2 nursings - but her naps are never longer than 20-40 minutes. My mom said I was the same way so it must be ok!
#17 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
mal... do you lay her down while she's still drowsy?
Gillian... your day sounds a lot like mine!
During the day I can lay her down just as she drifts off, when her eyes are very heavy and little slits. She'll squirm for a second, getting comfy, then settles in for sleep. I guess that's still drowsy... If she's the last one I put to sleep (which is how I prefer it, but doesn't always work out), I'll snuggle with her for a little bit before laying her down, just to get that alone time with her. Then, she's completely passed out when I lay her down.

#18 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Naps are all over the place for my little guy. The only thing that keeps him out for a substantial amount of time is taking a walk in the wrap. But we can't walk forever. So he usually gets one longish (1-2 hrs) nap that way, and scattered shorter 1/2 hour ish ones either in bed with me until I try sneaking away or on my lap after nursing while I'm working at the computer, or in the wrap right after a walk, or on a short walk. There's no schedule to them, they just happen when they happen - but we'll take him for a walk when he seems overtired and fussy. He won't "go to bed for the night" without me, so he only goes to bed 11 PM to 8 AM ish with me. I think he gets enough daytime sleep though?
People always ask "How does the baby sleep at night?" and I wonder why they don't ask about daytime! Cosleeping at night is a breeze - it's the naps that are hard!
#19 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 07:17 PM

I'm so happy to see this conversation started...

Fiona does well nursing to sleep during the day but its often difficult to keep her asleep. I often wear her in the wrap for naps but usually lie down with her in bed. She'll drift off. I usually have to pop back in once or twice to nurse her back to sleep. A typical nap schedule is a one-one and a half hour morning nap and a 3 ish hour afternoon nap. So that is pretty great! My concern is her need for absolute quiet and need for me to pop back in. It works well now but I'm going to begin babysitting 2 children soon and I just don't know how the naps will work. I hope she can get used to more noise in the house!

Our trouble time is getting her down for the night. She FIGHTS it almost every night. I don't know why she'll nurse to sleep for naps but not for bed. I've been trying to have a nice quiet routine going but usually DH ends up in the bathroom bouncing on the excercise ball with water running and her looking at herself in the mirror. Sometimes she will drift off within moments but other times it takes 15-20 minutes. Dh leaves for 3 weeks next weekend so hopefully I can figure out something while he's gone. Its hard on my back to do the bounce and sway in one place with her...

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#20 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Naps are all over the place here too. Makenna usually sleeps from 9 till 5 or 6then back down for an hour or two but last night she was up at 1:30 and 4:30 then up for good at 6:30...today she napped for 2 hours at 9 am and now has been down over an hour and went down at 2. Usually she takes 1 longer nap but that could mean 45 minutes and then takes a couple cat naps in the car or stroller. No rhym or reason as to when but lately I've been trying to put her down when she gets cranky. Sometimes I can just put her in her sleep sack and then put her down in the pack and play and she'll go to sleep. It doesn't always work. Today she fell alseep while eating both times.

Do you babes suck their thumbs? When I put Makenna down awake or if she wakes up after she's asleep, as long as she gets her thumb she'll go back to sleep easily. I am reading "Goodnights" by Jay Gordon and it's all about co-sleeping (which we actually don't do anymore but she is still in our room). Anyway he says co-sleeping babies don't suck their thumb as much bc they don't need to comfort themselves. I'm thinking I'm going to side car the crib and go back to that. I end up co-sleeping in the mornings and really love the cuddles. But I think we all sleep better with her in her own bed.

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#21 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
My concern is her need for absolute quiet and need for me to pop back in. It works well now but I'm going to begin babysitting 2 children soon and I just don't know how the naps will work. I hope she can get used to more noise in the house!
I find it helps us if there is noise in the house when she goes to sleep. If it's completely quiet when she falls asleep, then I try to do something (like put dishes away or laundry, noisy things) she'll wake up. But if there's already noise in the house when I'm putting her to sleep, it doesn't bother her.

I also put a pretty noisy box fan in her room and it drowns out a lot of the noise outside her room. We have a neighborhood full of kids who are out of school for summer now and make a lot of noise outside our house. This was waking her up until I put the box fan in there. It's an old school metal box fan that makes a lot of noise, but since it's constant noise it doesn't wake her, just drowns out all the other noise in and out of the house.

#22 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
People always ask "How does the baby sleep at night?" and I wonder why they don't ask about daytime! Cosleeping at night is a breeze - it's the naps that are hard!
Amen to that!!!

#23 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Do you babes suck their thumbs?
We co-sleep and she doesn't suck her thumb. No paci either. Coincidence? Connected ... I dunno.

#24 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine cosleeps, but he sucks his entire fist! Sometimes he'll try to do that and nurse at the same time.
#25 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Mine cosleeps, but he sucks his entire fist! Sometimes he'll try to do that and nurse at the same time.
ouch!

#26 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Hey everyone. I've been missing a lot because we are just going through a really tough time. We have digestive/yeast/mineral imbalances types of health issues going on, which are the root cause of many difficult things, like Eliza's thrush, my fatigue, the boys' trouble sleeping, and so many other things. The boys and I are on a special diet which I am constantly tweaking to try to figure out what will work best. I am exhausted. So, that's what we are up to.

Eliza usually falls asleep by me bouncing her in the sling (or sometimes another carrier but she likes the slings best) and then when she is in a good sleep I deposit her gently in her swing, tuck her under a blanket and she swings away. She takes nice long naps and sleeps well at night usually, too. Thank goodness, with everything else going on I really need these "breaks". She is a wonderful baby.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#27 of 1064 Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
We co-sleep and she doesn't suck her thumb. No paci either. Coincidence? Connected ... I dunno.
Owyn doesn't suck her thumb, she likes chewing on her fist though. She is, however, a pacifier baby. And I have to say, I'm slightly thankful for that. She's a brute to put to sleep without it.

The baby I baby sit just found her thumb and is very talented at finding it. They finally gave in and started co-sleeping last week due to lack of sleep trying (and fighting) the crib. They started doing it after I told them we co-sleep and sleep great at night.

#28 of 1064 Old 05-31-2009, 11:44 PM

So naps well on a good day she's up for 2 hrs down for 1.5hrs then up for 2hrs down for 2hrs then up for 2hrs down for 45min or so and then up for 1.5hrs and bed at like 730pm. She wakes around 1 and 4am to nurse then up for the day at 630 or 7am. On a bad day she cat naps every hour or so for 45min and I spend all day putting her down. She's been pretty consistent in getting a long afternoon nap but it usually overlaps with pickup time for dh. So we're planning on him starting to bike to work.
Getting her down has been a lot easier lately I still nurse her till drowsy and then pop her off when her sucking slows. Then I move her back to the middle of the crib (we have it sidecarred) and lay there while she drifts but lately I've been able to leave very quickly while she growls herself to sleep. She sounds like a little engine lol.
Cordelia sucks her fingers and she will sometimes take a paci but that's very recent before that she would just gag on it and scream. But I got desperate a couple nights ago when she needed to suck but my boobies couldn't take anymore and she took the paci. Let me tell you I was overjoyed. My boobs need a break.
Anyone else have an extremely wiggly nurser? She's already starting pinching and pulling and she arches her back and kicks off of me with her legs. This all causes her to pop off a million times and make a huge mess. It's driving me crazy! The only way we get efficient nursing sessions is swaddled and sidelying which only works at home obviously.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#29 of 1064 Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Honestly I have no idea. She sleeps when she does and doesn't when she doesn't, helpful huh? I tend to hold her a lot when she naps, sometimes I can lay her in her carseat on a blanket or on the couch. She almost always goes to sleep when I wear her at the store etc, she loves her pouch. She's a decent sleeper at night (if it weren't for her reflux and another ear infection), she eats and goes right back to sleep. The problem is when she's sick or her reflux flares all she wants to do is eat, sigh, I'm exhausted some days. DH is out of town this week so I'm going to go crazy, I know it!

She takes her thumb sometimes in the car, takes a paci sometimes, but mostly nurses, and we do co-sleep. My 2yo takes the binky way more than the baby, sad.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#30 of 1064 Old 06-01-2009, 01:41 PM

My DS sucks his thumb, his fist and his toes, will not take a paci. And he beats me up when nursing I tell everyone he is going to be a MMA fighter. I actually have bruises from him kicking me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page