Still swaddling at 9 months? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently heard of someone who is still swaddling their 9 month old...and I was really surprised. Is this normal? We only swaddled DS for the first month or so - and I understand that every baby is different, but... our DS was WALKING at 9 months. It just doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable for the baby. It makes me claustrophobic to even think about it.

Any thoughts?

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#2 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 AM

I think some babes just have a harder time sleeping in general and until they learn that the hands that are smacking them in the face are their own it helps to swaddle them. We swaddled ds until he was 7 or 8 months. Until he learned how to put the soother back in by himself. We still swaddle dd at 3mos.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#3 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM

DD needed swaddling for a long time... I cannot remember when we stopped for sure but I think it was something like 8 months...

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM

My 20 month old is nursing to sleep as I type this, swaddled. One of my four year olds frequently asks to be "wrapped" when he's trying to go to sleep.
In my experience, swaddling an older baby helps them to relax, as it's a sleep cue. Once baby can move around, he can get himself out of the swaddle as he wishes, so it's just for "going to sleep".

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just to clarify, this baby is being swaddled all the time, not just for sleep. The baby can't crawl yet either.

#6 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Without knowing the full situation, it's hard to ... judge. Maybe this baby has sensory integration issues and this is what works best for them. Maybe they're idiots and need some guidance. Hard to say. Is this baby happy being swaddled? Have to say my 6 mo. old would scream bloody murder if I tried to swaddle her while awake.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#7 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If the baby is swaddled basically all the time at nine months, my guess is that there's something else going on. By 7 or 8 months, most babies can get out of a swaddle if they want to, so in order to keep the baby swaddled, the parents would basically have to be re-wrapping that kid every 15 minutes. If they got that long.

On the other hand, if the baby seems content, then it's perfectly appropriate, and there may be sensory integration or other developmental issues that you're not aware of.
#8 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
If the baby is swaddled basically all the time at nine months, my guess is that there's something else going on. By 7 or 8 months, most babies can get out of a swaddle if they want to, so in order to keep the baby swaddled, the parents would basically have to be re-wrapping that kid every 15 minutes. If they got that long.

On the other hand, if the baby seems content, then it's perfectly appropriate, and there may be sensory integration or other developmental issues that you're not aware of.
This is very true, I hadn't thought of that. DS was busting out of his at a month or so old because he wiggled around so much. I probably just don't know enough about the situation, and that's why it didn't sound normal to me.

#9 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM

We never swaddled ds until the other day, he's almost 6 months.

He's having to get used to going to sleep in a crib before we come to bed so the swaddling makes all the difference.

I will say it's a bit comical since he's over 20 pounds and looks like one BIG baby!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#10 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 06:14 AM

DS2 is 9 months old and we still swaddle his hands of doom before he goes down for naps and bedtime. He breaks out, but it comforts him and lets him relax, otherwise he's just all over his crib. It's like his signal to calm down. Both my boys are very physical (DS1 walked at 9 months, DS2 took his first steps at 6.5 months <--NOT a typo!) so i think the swaddling/aka baby straight jacket helps them calm down to sleep.

now, swaddling all the time? I don't understand that, but maybe there are medical reasons you don't know about.

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#11 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM

swaddling for sleep can be a comfort even to some older babies. Swaddling all the time seems strange though, unless something else is going on.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#12 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 04:14 PM

I very rarely swaddled my kids to begin with, so it strikes me as odd...

However, I use a weighted blaket for dd (age 7) to help her sleep better- she has some sensory integration stuff going on, and the weight helps her relax.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page