Do amber teething necklaces work? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

Folks testifying to the effectiveness of a given product frankly does not prove anything at all. Over human history we have collectively bought into and really believed millions of false things have worked. Snake oil, really used to be snake oil and folks loved it!
This happens to home remedies as well as pharmacology, hangover treatments to miracle weight-loss foods and pills.
One thing stays the same, that placebos are powerful and folks see or miss what they want to.
A natural minded person will be quick to point out the subtle dangers in a prescription medication but happily overlook other often equal dangers in plant based one; while a "mainstream" person might be overly trusting in whatever has a shiny label on it and think the plant is too big of an risk.
Both sides can be,and often are, both right and wrong in both ways depending on the actual facts, facts often not known for many years/decades/lifetimes after the fad diet or drug or natural remedy was popular.
So there is a lot we don't know. What I do think is pretty clear from human history is that folks testifying to the effectiveness of a given product frankly does not prove anything at all.

This exactly. I'm a skeptic. And they would make nervous - seems like they could be a choking risk.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#32 of 42 Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 AM

im not sure what about thread like this make all the spammers crawl out of the woodwork and give us links to "some site that they just found, that has amazing prices and great stuff, but it sure does. Please spare us the spam, we were discussing the merits or lack there of, not asking to be spammed with your website. (which will be reported and  removed anyway)

if you own a website that has products you think the mothering community would benefit from, then by all means become a advertising member and tell us all about it!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#33 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I got one and it didn't do a thing except look cute.  shrug.gif

#34 of 42 Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM

A little about Amber teething necklaces.

For the person who quoted amber being a resin, yes, it is a resin. Amber is fossilized tree sap and this makes it a resin. Resin does not always refer to a melted and reformed plasic substance. Amber is not a stone, therefore it is litghtweight and comfortable to wear. Make sure when buying an amber teething necklace you are buying pure Baltic Amber. Amber that comes from the baltic region is the purest amber and has higher concentrations of succinic acid and work well for teething babies.

A baby does not chew on the necklace, they wear it. The skin warms the necklace and the acid that is in the oils are slowly absorbed into the skin. Succinic acid is water soluable and there is no overdose potential because the body will use what it can and the rest is eliminated and excreeted through the kidneys (pee'd out).

As for the safety aspect. Make sure when you are buying a necklace that you are buying one with the screw closure. The reason why is the screw closure is designed to give (break) if under too much tension. In addition make sure that the necklace string is knotted between every bead. This way if the string were to break only 1 bead would fall off. Also, you can take the necklace, wrap it twice around the baby's ankle and then place a sock over it or place the baby in footed pajamas. This is a great alternative to having something around the neck if that causes you concern.

If you are looking for a high quality amber necklace I recommend

The use of an amber necklace is purely a personal decision by each parent and may not be the right choice for your baby. I can say it was amazing how well it worked for my daughter.

Last edited by pokeyac; 06-26-2014 at 11:21 AM.
#35 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I live the amber necklace. If baby doesnt wear it for a couple of days, she gets fussier, and starts to dribble alot. Since using it, we rarely have teething problems. 

#36 of 42 Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Which teething braclet did you use? Would you send me the link?

#37 of 42 Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I dont remember the brand, i got it from amazon. They all seemed the same to me. Ill have a look and see if i have a receipt somewhere

#38 of 42 Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Well, if you do try one ( I did and I think it helped. He wore it from 6 mo to 2 yrs age) , get an unpolished, lightest color, snug fitting child-necklace. I bought online.
Its very popular in Europe so if you have european friends, ask their opinion as well.

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#39 of 42 Old 10-17-2013, 05:37 AM

1. check out bouncy baby boutique for the teething necklaces they have a safety cert on the new clasp they use on the baby necklaces issued from a baby toy safety certification company so get the safest amber teething products go check them out on amazon or google......most teething necklaces dont have a safety tension release clasp that is made to break and they use a screw clasp which i would never put on my kid...but check out the safety clasp bouncy baby boutique has... a+ for them for safety and helping us keep our kids alive..!!!!!

#40 of 42 Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Bitey Beads

We went for the silicone kind I can wear and my babe can chew on. He absolutely loves it and I never go anywhere without it! We love this brand: www.biteybeads.com
#41 of 42 Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM

I'm a believer! We've use the raw baltic amber (unpolished) on our teething baby since he was 7 months old and definitely noticed a difference. He slept better, seemed to be less fussy and the drooling was virtually nonexistent within 24 hours of continued use. He wears it all of the time, we only take it off for bathtime.
Wish we'd purchased it earlier as he started teething around 3 months! I would recommend it to anyone wanting a natural alternative to relieve teething pain. And, would also highly recommend Camilia!!

Me (S) + my soulmate (D), together for 12 years. Joyfully added our sweet little boy, Gabriel, born at home on 9/21/13. We have 2 good dog2.gif  + 4 crazy cat.gif 
#42 of 42 Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 AM

I tried it for my daughter who had terrible teething pains and I do not believe it worked one bit. Ibuprofen on the other hand worked.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page