Do amber teething necklaces work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! My dd is 9 1/2 months old and is currently getting 4-5 top teeth in all at once. Needless to say, she's been pretty miserable and demanding for the past couple of weeks (why does it take so long for those dang things to cut through!) Anyway, her poor top gums are SO swollen that we've basically had to give her tylenol or motrin once a day for like 2 weeks, and I just hate putting her little kidneys through that. Someone suggested an Amber Teething necklace. I hadn't heard of them prior to the suggestion. Does anyone have any postive experiences with these? At this point, I'm pretty desparate to try anything that could provide her with a little relief! Poor baby.

Blissfully happy and devoted wife to my best friend and anamored by my sweet baby girls, DD1 (8/8/08) and DD2 (06-17-11). Proud attached, tandem breastfeeding, baby-wearing, blw mama.

#2 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM

:

Considering buying one for my LO.

Wife tosuperhero.gif , Mama to The Princess (2/03-3/07) and Little Lady (3/09), Expecting #3 (10/11).  vbac.gif
#3 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Lurking.
#4 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

I bought one for my then 12 and 8 year old when they were cutting molars..and they stopped waking up in the middle of the night. I'm convinced they work, they are my standard baby gift at showers now =D

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#5 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 PM

I bought one for DD when she was 6 months old and we love it. : Its not a miracle cure all but it defiantly helps!

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#6 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM

They are wonderful! I am convinced they make a huge difference. DD still is fussy when teething, but if she's not wearing her necklace she is 10 times worse! I wear one myself and I think it helps with my neck pain.
#7 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 03:29 PM

We have one and it does seem to work. It's not a total cure and my daughter does seem to experience some discomfort still, but it's much better when she's wearing the amber and she never cries, only gets mildly more whiny than usual.

I used to think the amber teething necklaces were sort of an old wives' tale until I did some research. As it turns out, Baltic amber (HAS to be Baltic) contains succinic acid which is a natural pain reliever. It gets warm by being near body heat and releases small amounts which get absorbed through the skin.

Neat!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#8 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Our LO is definitely less fussy when she's wearing hers. She's just discovered that she's wearing it (going on month 3 now) but I think it's just so much a part of her that she touches it occasionally and then forgets about it (like her feet!). She's 7.5 months and been teething since about 3 months, but still doesn't have any!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#9 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM

I'm thinking about getting one for my dd.

Could someone describe how they use the necklace? Does your LO wear it all the time or just sometimes? What about at night?

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#10 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminosaJane View Post

Could someone describe how they use the necklace? Does your LO wear it all the time or just sometimes? What about at night?
I put my ds's necklace on him when he was about 2 months old... he hasn't had it off since and he is over 2 1/2 now... I can't even imagine him without it... lol

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#11 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminosaJane View Post

Depends on who you ask. Some only use it when baby is teething. Some keep it on all the time. Some take it off at night. Some never take it off at all.

Personally, I don't like the idea of my baby sleeping in it. I take it off of her at night when she sleeps and I don't let her wear it when she's not teething.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#12 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 PM

The stones are supposed to come in contact with the skin so they can release their oils so the skin can absorb them. I think the oil is called succinic acid and it has analgesic properties that help with pain. Wear the amber closer to the source of pain for better relief. If the stones are not in contact with the skin then no relief (from the amber) can take place and I would imagine if you took them off at night it would take a while for the necklace to warm up, release their oils and for the skin absorb them. Some mommas wrap the necklaces around the babies ankle at night so there is some contact with the amber. I am not one of them though... My DD is almost 15 months and has wore hers nonstop since she was 5 months old. Its all up to the mommas and there comfort levels but we have had no trouble with them.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#13 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM

They didn't work for my DS. Motrin is the only thing that does.
#14 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Totally didn't work for my little one. It's cute though!
#15 of 42 Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterina View Post
She's 7.5 months and been teething since about 3 months, but still doesn't have any!
Ah, so i'm not the only one?! My dd is 8 months and has been teething since around 4 months but hasn't had a single tooth pop out. There's drool everywhere and she likes to chew and bite and knaw on things. *sigh* Not to mention she recently decided she needs my boob for comfort at night and has since stopped STTN...

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#16 of 42 Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 PM

I just bought mine this week, and the VERY FIRST NIGHT he had it on, he slept through the night for the first time EVER. This, after having several awful nights in a row (waking up 4-5 times, one night we had a 3 hour cluster feed every 30 minutes). He is teething like crazy at only 3 months, and I really didn't want to do any medicines. I left it on the first night, took it off the second and third, now thanks to this thread I'm going to put it around his ankle at night instead!

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#17 of 42 Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
Ah, so i'm not the only one?! My dd is 8 months and has been teething since around 4 months but hasn't had a single tooth pop out. There's drool everywhere and she likes to chew and bite and knaw on things. *sigh* Not to mention she recently decided she needs my boob for comfort at night and has since stopped STTN...
No, you're not the only one. Teething since 3.5 months here, now over 9 months and no teeth to speak of....

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
#18 of 42 Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 PM

They work for me! I love it, about half way into the first day with it he became so much more calm and actually took a nap. I only take it off or a bath. At night we wrap it around his wrist. Just get one with a magnetic clasp! He's already cut 2 teeth with little drama.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#19 of 42 Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 PM

They work for us! my DS has been wearing his since he was 3 months old - cut his first tooth at 3 months. He just turned a year old a couple days ago and has 10 teeth!!!! He stopped wearing it for a couple weeks and was super cranky! put it back on and was doing much better

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#20 of 42 Old 12-30-2009, 03:02 AM

Most of the research makes me really question how they could actually work. So often "amber" sold is resin, or other non amber materials. We once decided to test my friends jewelry, since she loved amber and we had read a few things and we found out only 2 of about 20 pieces were probably actually amber, some we weren't 100% positive about, some turned out to obviously be resin. Too much of it seems a bit weird too me, I might try it but I would have to test the beads myself and know they aren't just some cheap resin piece instead of real "Baltic Amber", but instead I will use teething tablets, which seem to really take the edge off for Ds.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#21 of 42 Old 12-30-2009, 11:08 AM

We have them! I didn't want to give DS teething tablets ALL THE TIME so this seemed like a good thing to add to the mix. I bought one for me too and I can tell you it works for me, so I assume it works for him too. I was having a ton of neck and back pain and it's definitely lessened a lot. DS is also less fussy wearing his. We do teething tablets at night since I don't let him wear it then.

I also just ordered a Hazelwood necklace for his reflux.

FYI - it seems like the lighter and milkier the color, the better it should work!

Success after Infertility (PCOS) with Traditional Chinese Medicine. Mom to Lucas (8/17/09) our intact, non vaccinated , cloth diapered, natural birth, attachment parented son.
#22 of 42 Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM

I have one of these necklaces.  How do I know it is real "baltic amber"? 

I am a bit leery of it as well.  I mean, is it really safe to give a baby unknown amounts of succinic acid?  And if it is such a "low dose" as to be harmless, then how is it actually therapeutic or pain relieving?  I am a skeptic so far.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#23 of 42 Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM

im a total skeptic about this, i assume it is all placebo in the way we remember our babies from day to day until someone shows me the tested science.  i just dont see how it could work in the levels that are present.  would love to see some hard research.

that being said there is are tons of things that are proven to be complete make-believe and still have folks that are comforted by them, so as long as it is not harmful, why not? but if it does really leach stuff in to a babies body, no thank you, just cause it is from some ancient tree does not make it safe, lots of natural things are toxic and like some folks have pointed out, we rarely know for sure exactly what is in the beads we buy.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#24 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 AM

Yes they really work. A lot of moms testify about the effectiveness of the product.
#25 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 AM

Folks testifying to the effectiveness of a given product frankly does not prove anything at all. Over human history we have collectively bought into and really believed millions of false things have worked. Snake oil, really used to be snake oil and folks loved it!
This happens to home remedies as well as pharmacology, hangover treatments to miracle weight-loss foods and pills.

One thing stays the same, that placebos are powerful and folks see or miss what they want to.

A natural minded person will be quick to point out the subtle dangers in a prescription medication but happily overlook other often equal dangers in plant based one; while a "mainstream" person might be overly trusting in whatever has a shiny label on it and think the plant is too big of an risk.

Both sides can be,and often are, both right and wrong in both ways depending on the actual facts, facts often not known for many years/decades/lifetimes after the fad diet or drug or natural remedy was popular.

So there is a lot we don't know. What I do think is pretty clear from human history is that folks testifying to the effectiveness of a given product frankly does not prove anything at all.
starshinemama likes this.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#26 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM

I never tried them but am not comfortable trying them. I don't like the idea of a chain around baby's neck. My go to remedy for teething is cold: a wet washcloth from the fridge, frozen fruit in a mesh feeder or just ice water in a sippy or a cucumber stick for my toddler. My DD is an intense teether (has been almost nonstop since 4 months) but I've only really had to resort to Tylenol a handful of times and she is 15 months old. I'd much rather have her mouthing something while I supervise or nurse at night. If the amber really releases a compound constantly, I'd be more worried about that than an occasional dose of pain killer. Just my two cents.
#27 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeps View Post

I am a bit leery of it as well.  I mean, is it really safe to give a baby unknown amounts of succinic acid?  And if it is such a "low dose" as to be harmless, then how is it actually therapeutic or pain relieving?  I am a skeptic so far.

^That is why I won't try one. Unknown amounts of anything going into my baby makes me nervous... & Natural means nothing to me. Lots of natural things are harmful. "It's natural so it's fine!" is a really dangerous attitude to have IMO....

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#28 of 42 Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM

I have to confess that when I first heard about amber teething necklaces, I had no idea that the baby was the one supposed to be wearing the necklace! Once I discovered that, I wasn't too keen on the idea of them. The choking hazard alone concerns me.

Moo.

#29 of 42 Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

For us, the necklace didn't work, as much as I wanted it too! My dd would still be very fussy with it on. She doesn't wear it anymore and nothing has changed.

The only that helped soothe teething was teething gel. Works like a charm.  

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#30 of 42 Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM

DD2 has one.  I don't know if it works.  I don't really believe amber can "leak" the relevant acid once warm.  It kind of defies what i know about chemistry.  But i think the necklace was £15 or £16 and i didn't mind spending that to try it.

Certainly it's cute, and times when DD had teething pain i would have tried ANYTHING (sometimes medication didn't seem to help much either!).  I'm actually looking at getting another one for my next LO as my DD2 is teething really slow and at 25months still has all her eye teeth and all her 2 year molars to come, and her sister was similar and was 3.5 before she was done with teething  So for us it's had enough value for me to get another one, even though i don't know for sure if it really made a difference.

DD has worn hers continuously since she was about 5 months old EXCEPT in the pool because the string is knotted silk and i was concerned that repeated exposure to chlorine might perish it and make it more likely to break, so when we're in the pool it goes in my purse with my nose screw (another thing i don't want to lose in the pool!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page