Question for the babywearing mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering.

For babies that are worn often, will they miss the opportunity to roll and such. I am babywearer and its been crossing my mind. My 3 mos old boy is perfectly happy, bf-ing and sleeping relatively well. Smiling, cooing and is strong. But sometimes I wonder if I should give him more floor time.

Thanks ladies.

Mary:

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I wear my DD a lot but she has/had her share of floor time too. DD never rolled over until she was 8 months old and that was only stomach to back. She absolutely hated/hates to be on her belly. Just recently, at 15 months, has she started rolling to her belly. I never connected her not rolling over 'on time' to babywearing. I think all babies have there own agendas. To me, rolling over isn't a big deal just like crawling isn't. As long as baby is displaying muscle control and is happy and healthy, I don't care what milestones they reaching and when. Of course, if there is some developmental problem I would be concerned but lack of rolling over or crawling alike wouldn't alarm me in the slightest.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 AM

DS is 15 months now, and I have worn him since birth.
He rolled over at 3 months, crawled at 6mo, and walked at 10 mo. All of which I was concerned he wouldn't be able to do because I was wearing him so much LOL (he was very high needs and always needed to be held). I really don't think you have much to worry about.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 AM

I wore DS all the time when he was really little (like, 6-8 hrs a day). He hit all his dev milestones right on target (started crawling at 7 mos - now at a year is getting ready to walk). The recommendations for 'floor time' and 'tummy time' are aimed at people who leave their babies in bucket seats/bouncy chairs/swings/cribs all day. The semi-reclined position they are in in those things does nothing to help them develop their little muscles. Babywearing does the EXACT same thing as tummy time - helps them develop their upper body/neck muscles. If you've been wearing him in a cradle position a lot, you could try him in a tummy-to-tummy hold, but I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You're following your baby's cues and that is what is important. I don't think you can do much to encourage/discourage certain dev milestones - they all have their own little schedules! Enjoy snuggling your little one close. Once he gets more mobile he won't want to be worn so much, and you'll miss it (at least, I do!)

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM

I've worn both DDs, though not for like 16 hours a day or anything, and both hit physical milestones early.

DD2 started rolling both directions at 3 months, and at just-barely-5-months is getting on all fours and rocking - within 2 weeks I'm guessing she'll be crawling.

I wear baby around the house, out for a mile+ walk every other day or so and sometimes for naps.

With DD1, I remember getting asked/told a lot that she'd never learn to walk if I carried her in the sling all the time. I'd smile and nod and then tell them my 7 month old was cruising, and later that my 10 month old was walking. When she was 14-15 months old and I was still getting it, I'd tell them she'd been walking for almost 6 months, and it wasn't a concern.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM

i wore dd and she still hit milestones fine. i did give her floor time though

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Yep - bwing counts as tummy time - and the babes usually prefer bwing to tummy time - so bonus. When doing a back, hip or front carry (tummy to tummy), babies are working their core muscles, their neck muscles, etc., which is exactly what they need to be doing.

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd'smom View Post
Yep - bwing counts as tummy time - and the babes usually prefer bwing to tummy time - so bonus. When doing a back, hip or front carry (tummy to tummy), babies are working their core muscles, their neck muscles, etc., which is exactly what they need to be doing.
:

Now that DD is a little older she is happy to lay on her side playing with her toys on the floor. She rolled over once on her own and we all missed it!! DH doing work on the computer, me in the kitchen grabbing a glass of water, DS upstairs with Mimi and Pa; the second I turned around to see her bare bum I yelled! "OH, NO!!!" DH jumped because I scared him and I finished my sentance, "...we missed it!!" then he knew to look at her and not me and he got mooned too I couldn't believe it and she hasn't done it since despite all of our coaxing She's 4 1/2 months, a chunky monkey, PLUS a CD booty Maybe I didn't make it easy on her to roll over early

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM

DD rolled over at 2 months, pulled to a stand at 6 mo, crawled at 7.5, and walked by 9.5 mo... i don't think carring her inhibited her ablitity to get mobile, i think it gave her a great sense of balance! she's 11 months now and chasing the dog. I don't wear her as much as i did at first just because she likes to be moving on her own. i think i wore her about 6 hrs/day average at 5 months more when she was younger and gradually less as time went on.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM

I wear DS all the time. I have no idea how many hours a day, but I think the amount of time he spends laying down or reclined (not counting car seat while driving or sleeping at night) is minimal - maybe an hour or two a day, tops, in 10-15 minute increments here and there. The rest of the time, I'm wearing him tummy-to-tummy or on my back or hip, or he's sitting on my lap. He rolled from tummy to back right at 4 months, and from back to tummy at 4.5 months. He's not that interested in rolling, though - I think it's especially hard for him because he was 18 lbs at 4 months and has a big ol' cloth diapered booty. He's also sitting up almost on his own now, and he'll be 5 mos tomorrow.

Anyway, all healthy babies will eventually learn to roll over, crawl, and walk, no matter how often they're worn.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Well, DD wasn't actually worn much early on, because she hated it, but she also hated to be out of our arms, so we always held her. Really, always, except at night, when she slept next to me.

However, she rolled over the first time while DH was dressing her in bed, at 3 weeks. She started regularly rolling over and combat crawling in bed (while awake) around 3 months. At 5 1/2 months she was pulling up to standing on the back of the sofa (still in my lap), and started cruising furniture. She crawled and then sat at 8 1/2 months, stood up in the middle of the room at 10 1/2 months and walked at 13 1/2 months.

She didn't actually start spending time on the floor until after she started crawling.

So I say natural development just happens, it doesn't have to be taught. I think the only exception to this if the baby is really failing to thrive for some reason, lack of food, love, attention. (And my DD was at one point labeled failure to thrive, wrongly. I think, as she was only slow weight gain, but she certainly had no developmental problems!)
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wore DD constantly when she was littler and she rolled early (like 3 months) and stood early too -- never wanted to sit. She crawled by about 6 months and is now at 10 months on the verge of walking. So, if anything, I think babywearing fosters their mobility. I don't think it hinders it. I would think being on their backs all the time in buckets and cribs and such would be a bigger problem.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmothermary View Post
Just wondering.

For babies that are worn often, will they miss the opportunity to roll and such. I am babywearer and its been crossing my mind. My 3 mos old boy is perfectly happy, bf-ing and sleeping relatively well. Smiling, cooing and is strong. But sometimes I wonder if I should give him more floor time.

Thanks ladies.

Mary:
If he's happy on the floor, why not? Mine never was LOL! But she rolled at 3 months, crawled at 5 months (army crawl) and walked at 9 months. And I wore her all the darned time. Or just held her.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 PM

it has never occured to me that there could be a connection, and i dont think it is...
my son could roll over shortly after birth, and then he got all chubby and couldnt do it anymore. he recently started rolling over again, at 3.5 mo, and while im excitedly giggling at him, he is like 'whats the big deal?'.
i have been wearing him since birth, and when he wasnt worn, he was passed around a lot, so for the first couple of months there wasnt any time for tummy time coz everyone wanted to hold him
plus he'd be lying on our chests a lot and that is almost like tummy time on the floor, even better...
lately we have downsized our wearing, he is more active and unless im constantly moving he will not tolerate it, but we still get plenty of wearing on walks and stuff...
everyone actually says that he started holding up his head very early and i attribute that to wearing and holding him tummy to tummy on my chest. he worked his muscles a LOT trying to look around and lift up his head.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM

nak

On my third babe now and I always held/wore my babies, never worried about tummy time (bc being worn and held upright also strengthens head, neck, back, etc. muscles) and all my boys have been early or on time rollers, crawlers, and walkers.

I am pretty sure that in the old days the babies weren't routinely put on the ground or floor. It was probably too cold/dangerous/impractical.

I think the danger to devmnt is how lots of babies are in carseats, swings, bouncy seats, then cribs for the whole day and night and rarely held or worn.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 AM

I'd say trust your instincts. You and your baby know what you need.
My DD insisted on being worn all the time and I loved it. She is strong and had hit all her milestones so far. At 9 mo and 23 pounds she still likes to be close a good part of the time. Thank God for the Ergo!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
nak

i hold my son almost all day long. the other day we wondered if he could roll from tummy to back (he does his tummy time on my or my husband's chest), so we set him on the floor on his tummy and he did it! clearly, being held isn't keeping him from getting stronger and more coordinated. i think being held/worn and carried all day is actually good for a baby's "core" because they're looking around all day.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 AM

We really don't do much floor time... we have four small dogs that long to kiss the baby on his face, so when he is getting tummy time (every other day or so) he gets it on the changing table, or on Daddy's chest in the bed.

Most of his rolling comes from him rolling toward me to nurse (we co-sleep).

Personally, I'm not terribly concerned with him hitting developmental milestones "on time." In some babywearing cultures, babies don't touch the ground until they're 6mos old. They have elaborate ground-touching ceremonies for the babies. And, obviously there isn't a high instance of third-world countries where no one can walk. So don't be too concerned with hitting the typical low-contact American milestones. Your baby will get there eventually!

- E

Erynne, a cloth diapering, EC-practicing, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping
first-time-mom to Jacob Connor (4/1/09) and wife to Chris (9/24/08). Expecting #2

in March 2012.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Babywearing for a baby is like horseback riding for adults (apprently - thats the closest equivalant I have read about it!) - it really does work all their muscles...they develop physically, just fine (and probably much better than a baby never worn - as in a baby who is kept in their car seat and bouncer chair all day long)!

Apparently in some cultures where the babies really are worn all-day-long - they are one day put down and they just set off walking. I guess its like the whole crawling thing - like how some babies skip that and just walk. Most 'milestones' they don't need to do - they probably can do it, just don't see the need to do it.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM

We never did tummy time or floor time, just lots of bwing and ds1 crawled at 7 months and walked at 9 months.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM

We almost never did tummy time w/ DS. We almost never putting down, always was in somebody arms (DH, MIL(when she was here-first 2 m.) or I) or I wearing him. DS roll over between 4-5 mo., crawl at 6 mo.. Now he's been crossing for about a month and He's 10 mo.
Babywearing counts as tummy time...so, in terms of time, it's a lots!. This is why my LO is all muscles:...

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love

User Tag List