2 month old loves to "stand". Is it ok though??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two month old son is super active. He is constantly moving, kicking, wiggling and is already straining to sit up when put in his stroller. He LOVES a game my DH and I play when he grabs our thumbs and pushes up on his feet to stand. He laughs and screams. His legs are very rarely just hanging there. He is always flexing his muscles and straightening them to stand. My grandmother saw me letting his stand on my stomach the other day and told me he is too young and his bones too soft for this. Is this true, or is this old school grandma thought?

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
#2 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a pretty old fashioned thought. It's fine and good exercise. My baby started doing it at 2 months too, and she's getting really strong!
#3 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM

My now 5 month old LOVES to stand! We don't do it with her for very long, or all day, but she loves it! Different perspective on the world, new body sensations, it's all good.
#4 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Your grandmother is perpetuating an old wives' tale.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#5 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beene View Post
My two month old son is super active. He is constantly moving, kicking, wiggling and is already straining to sit up when put in his stroller. He LOVES a game my DH and I play when he grabs our thumbs and pushes up on his feet to stand. He laughs and screams. His legs are very rarely just hanging there. He is always flexing his muscles and straightening them to stand. My grandmother saw me letting his stand on my stomach the other day and told me he is too young and his bones too soft for this. Is this true, or is this old school grandma thought?
No, that is not true. DD loved doing that, as well. It is great exercise for babes and helps to strengthen their little bodis. They have a ton of fun. Plus, it is soooo darn cute!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#6 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Yup, old wives' tale. My son loves it too!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#7 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Its totally fine for baby to stand in your arms, but she's too young to be put in one of those exersaucers or other toys that put babies on their feet- maybe your grandmother had heard a warning about those and that's what made her comment.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#8 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM

#9 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM

I sure hope its an old wives tale!! my son did this the first time at 8 DAYS old!
#10 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM

DS started standing like that at 6 weeks. He is now 9 months old and not bow-legged in the least. He's probably about a week away from walking (he can take a few steps on his own, and walks holding onto my finger)

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm so glad to hear it's okay because my 8 week old loves to do this too!
#12 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM

My DS started around that age too. He would INSIST on standing and jumping. We got him a jumper pretty early because he is HEAVY and we can't hold him to jump that much. Now he is nearly 7 mo, crawling, active, sitting alone since 5 mo - he's fine. More than fine.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#13 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I sure hope its an old wives tale!! my son did this the first time at 8 DAYS old!
My 12 day old has some Incredible Hulk leg and neck strength too..lol He likes to "stand" on my lap and I gently bounce and sing to him. His legs are chubby and very thick, so I'm sure that has something to do with the strength.

I figure if they are using their muscles, and they are being held and supported to make sure they don't get hurt, it will only strengthen them further.
#14 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

My daughters been doing it since 2 months old. She loves to stand!

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#15 of 18 Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 PM

I had someone tell me not to let my baby do that, also. As others have said, it's fine! She is now 14 months and doing fine in the standing and walking department and has perfect legs!!!!!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#16 of 18 Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM

A woman kinda freaked out on me for doing this too and I didn't understand why she was acting the way she was!

They are fine as long as they are holding theselves up and not being planted like that in a certain way like being propped up, kwim?

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#17 of 18 Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 AM

Old wives tale - unless you are putting him in some device that keeps him standing on his legs for long periods of time (some people do! lol) - his legs will be fine with what you are doing! My DS had very strong legs from birth and also loved to stand on them so he was often standing on my lap whilst I held him and would happily kick his legs and shake about! lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#18 of 18 Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 AM

agreeing with all PPs. It is A-Okay! My DS did it too. and at around 3-4 months we did get him an exersaucer and the papers tell you that they should be on tip toes not flat feet in them. But pulling up and standing on Mamas is fine...

Wife to DH : and SAHM to miracle DS born 10/30/08 and expecting a second miracle 10/03/10 after 11/09 loss. Only semi- crunchy but learning as I go...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page