How old was your infant when.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you took him/her out of the house for their first outing? Mine was three days old, I wore her in a sling and she was perfectly safe. I have a friend whose wife insists that he can't take his daughter out for a quick father's day breakfast (they are separated) at a bagel shop because their daughter is only 10 days old. She says babies can't leave the house until they are at least a month, but preferably two months, old. FYI she is a nurse.

Just wondering your thoughts on this....
#2 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM

I started going for long walks with my babe when he was three days old.
But I would not be cool with being separated from my 10-day-old baby, even if she was with her dad. What if she got hungry and needed me?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
I started going for long walks with my babe when he was three days old.
But I would not be cool with being separated from my 10-day-old baby, even if she was with her dad. What if she got hungry and needed me?
Yea, we were out at 8 days, but I absolutely would not have let DS out of my sight at 10 days. Heck, I still won't at 11 weeks.
#4 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 PM

three days; dh and i went for sushi on our 1 year anniversary.

eta- there's NO WAY, separated or not, that my child's father or anyone would be able to take him somewhere without me for about the first 6 months. i nurse on demand and if my baby demands to nurse when i'm not around... yeah, no. not gonna happen.
#5 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM

leaving the house *with mom* and leaving the house *without mom* are, IMO, two completely and totally different things when you're talking about a baby that small. no way on earth would i let my baby out of my sight for longer than a quick shower would take, much less let the baby out of the house for a couple of hours with a spouse who i am clearly not getting along with. but i've taken my babies out for a walk around the block or whatever in a sling at a day or two old, and i remember going to target with my mom to buy some clothes that fit when DD1 was maybe 5 days old and baby slept happily in the sling the whole time.
#6 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM

I think DD was less than 24 hours old when we went to the grocery store. But I wouldn't let a baby out of my sight younger than 6 months at the very least.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#7 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 PM

4 days old in the middle of an Alaskan winter! We went out to lunch. I wouldn't go separate from her even now at 4.5 months though.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#8 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:14 PM

We went to church at 6 days

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#9 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Three days old here, too....we went to a barbeque party at a friend's house, and she was in the sling the whole time. The older women at the party were just astonished that I was not in a hospital somewhere recuperating with the baby in the hospital nursery! It was so cute, though...it was just killing all of these ladies to play it cool and not snatch her out of the sling! They were very respectful, but they were dying to cuddle her.

I wouldn't be comfortable with my newborn going out without me that young though...as much for MY needs as hers!
#10 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 04:52 PM

1 day

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#11 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 05:12 PM

With me...1 day old.

Without me, for longer than 1 hour--just today, and he's 3 weeks old. I was gone for about 2.5 hours and left him with my uncle while I went clothes shopping. I left him because it's 90 degrees outside and I didn't want to haul him in and out of the car in the heat to go shopping. My uncle lived less than 1 mile from where I was shopping. And it was during his nap time, so he slept the whole time I was gone.

I couldn't imagine keeping him in the house for 1-2 months. I'd go batty.
#12 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM

4 days here with dd who is now 3 weeks.

6 weeks with ds, we were naive enough to listen to the pediatrician that said babies can't go out for the first 6 weeks. lol
#13 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 06:27 PM

We went to the mall when DS was only a few days old. I hate being cooped up in the house. I doubt we will even wait that long this time around.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#14 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The nurse who taught my childbirth class recommended avoiding going out in public for 6 weeks. I took my guy out around 10 days or so but I can't remember if that was the first outing. When he was 7 days old, I fed him then put him to nap in his Moses basket with my hubby nearby while I went to purchase a nursing bra.

I went to a bfing march 3.5 weeks pp and other mamas were surprised I was out and about with him so little....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#15 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh yeah, just about immediately. But a young baby of mine wouldn't go anywhere without me. So any outing would be an outing with me.
#16 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM

i had to take her out at 1 day - single mama, necessary ped visit. that first outing set the precedent, as i am not a stay-in-the-house kind of girl. i tried to keep us out of extremely public places for the first few weeks, but we did go to the woods for the first time when she was 5 days :

admittedly, i have left her in the care of others, since she was about 5 weeks old, amounting to once or twice a week, for a few hours, but even to this day i will not leave her alone with anyone who isn't also a mom. this has been the source of quite a few arguments between me and her dad.

i hated to leave her, but i really needed a break. being the sole parent to a newborn is incredibly taxing.

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#17 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Dd was out for daily walks from 2days old. Dh and I went out to eat w/ her when she was about a week as well.
With ds, we were at the ped almost every day the first week. He came w/ me to the MWs office at 4 days old as well.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#18 of 42 Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 PM

There is NO WAY I would allow my newborn anywhere without me.

An outing isn't really the same as an outing without mom, it really is asking too much to insist a new mom allow her baby anywhere without her.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#19 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 AM

I had heard about waiting, but after 2 weeks I had to get out with my little man!!

That said, remember how you felt at 10 days. Still emotional? Recovering physically? I could barely take a shower wthout panic that my son would need me. I'd agree with the other moms that 10 days is too soon for dad to take baby out and away from mom, even for just an hour. But it is reasonable for dad to want to spend some time with his child. Maybe the mom could take a nap? Then the dad could have some privacy without taking the child away....

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#20 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 04:22 AM

I think DS was a week or two old, when we went out for the first time. I would've taken him out earlier but I just wasn't feeling up to it, until that point.
#21 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM

About 4 hours after birth of my last one, we stopped on the way home to get donuts. #3, we were at the grocery store 5 hours after birth picking up food. About the same for the other two. We didn't stop from there. We don't stay home with a newborns, we're out and about showing them off from the minute they're born. I let anyone hold them, what a joy it is to hold a new baby!

From strangers to friends to family, I love sharing the baby. I don't fret about germs (they're good for us, and I honestly wonder where some people live that they say "everyone is sick" - unless someone has an oozing sore on their face and hands, they can have at my babies!).

So, the answer for all four of my babies is "within hours of birth". I love showing off the babies!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#22 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
The nurse who taught my childbirth class recommended avoiding going out in public for 6 weeks.
Frankly, that's ridiculous unless mom or baby is sick. That's such old school thinking, I can't believe any medical professional in this day and age says that!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#23 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=Still_Learning;13968069 we were naive enough to listen to the pediatrician that said babies can't go out for the first 6 weeks. lol[/QUOTE]

My pediatrician says TWELVE weeks!! I think I was about three days with this one, too...in a sling as well. It was out of necessity-- I have two big kids who need to be driven places, and I do not have help.

I have separated from baby ds for up to 2 hours at a time on a couple of occasions, and although I do nurse on demand, this little guy is quite easily soothed without me if in the arms of a loving person. If I leave him with one of his grandmas, he will sleep in their arms or on their chests for the whole time I am gone.
#24 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 AM

I agree w/all the pps who said that w/mom and w/out mom are 2 totally dif situations.

W/my latest babe it was 3 days (w/me in sling), I left him w/dh for 30 min when he was 10 days, other than that it's about 1 hr or less and only w/dh. I totally trust him to call me if babe needs me though, if we weren't on great terms I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't think it's unreasonable for her to feel uncomfortable w/him taking out baby and maybe she's using the excuse of the baby being too young so that her feelings seem more credible to him.

Heck, I ran to the store yesterday w/out babe, was gone for maybe 25 min and baby was asleep w/daddy so didn't need me at all and I felt naked and lost w/out him (he's 9 months ).

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#25 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 AM

With both our kids it was two days. With DD we had DS t-ball game to go to. We were going to have grandma take him and stay home, but she had jaundice anyways and needed sun. Then that evening we went to the store since we had no little girl clothes and I just didn't want to put her in blue anymore. We been out a lot since then. Including going out to dinner three times. We're heading to the beach here soon.

She spent a couple of hours with daddy on Friday (3 weeks old) while I went to the store. She was fine. I fed her just before I left and she was just getting hungry as I got home. He did have some pumped milk just in case though. I was also a block away, and reachable by cell phone so I wasn't worried. I missed her like crazy, but the shopping got done to my standards.

As far as germs go I just do simple things like carry her, and wash my hands.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#26 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM

I didn't take my DS out in the public for 6 wks. Too many germs out there for a LO to fight off...IMO. We did take him to see family.

I just cringe when I see a brand new baby out...especially in places like Wal-Mart!
#27 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM

We were out and about at around three days. It was late fall and I wore him in a Hotsling under my coat.

However, he's over seven months now and I am just now getting okay with leaving him for (very short) periods of time with trusted adults.

Letting anyone, father or no, take my baby away from me at 10 days for any amount of time? Over my dead body. Just the thought of that is making my heart race a little bit...

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#28 of 42 Old 06-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharperfan View Post
you took him/her out of the house for their first outing? Mine was three days old, I wore her in a sling and she was perfectly safe. I have a friend whose wife insists that he can't take his daughter out for a quick father's day breakfast (they are separated) at a bagel shop because their daughter is only 10 days old. She says babies can't leave the house until they are at least a month, but preferably two months, old. FYI she is a nurse.

Just wondering your thoughts on this....
Then how on earth did they get the baby home from the hospital? When she left the hospital to go home (unless she did a home birth), then her baby was been outside before a month old.

(excuse me if this is a repeat because I didn't read all the responses!)
#29 of 42 Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 AM

Both were on the way home from the hospital. DD1 was 2 days old and we stopped by Walmart to pick up some things I hadn't gotten before (like diapers). DD2 was 6 days old when she was released from the NICU. We took her to DD1's well baby appointment and then to the PX to pick up bottles (at the time she refused to nurse- funny thing is she refused the bottle and wanted to nurse, we never used the bottles we picked up).
DD1 was 6 days old the first time she went out for more than an hour. We went to church for 3 hours. DD2 was 10 days old the first time she was out for more than a couple of hours, again we went to church for 3 hours.

ETA- as for being without me DH took DD1 for 30 minutes when she was 3 days old to check in with his command. I was perfectly OK with it because she had just eaten and was fast asleep. Hes command was about 5 minutes from the apartment so if DD needed me it didn't take long to get home.
DD2 didn't leave my side after getting out of the NICU for the first 6 months. I still don't feel comfortable without her being by my side.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#30 of 42 Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 AM

We went to the grocery store the day we left the hospital (she was a week old). We were going to the zoo, etc. in the first month.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page