does avoiding dairy mean no Hylands teething tablets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-25-2004, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,
I posted a few days ago about my almost-5-mo ds suddenly waking a few times a night to poop. One of the suggestions was that I should cut out dairy and see if it helps. I'm about to do it (it's been two weeks of NO SLEEP and I'm ready to try anything) ... but the other main potential reason for the nightwaking/stool changes is teething. It's been bothering him lots, so I often give him two Hylands homeopathic teething tablets before bed and at other times during the day. Since they are lactose based, does that mean I shouldn't give them to him if I am eliminating dairy?

Thanks to anyone with experience in this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-25-2004, 09:48 PM

My ds1 is allergic to dairy and breaks out in a rash on his cheeks. I always attributed it to teething, until we realized dairy causes that exact rash, as he got older and started eating foods. Then we totally eliminated dairy. I did break down and give him tablets a couple times when the teething seemed so miserable for him, and each time he broke out again.

So the short of all that is: my ds reacted even to the Tablets.
#3 of 13 Old 01-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Kind of off topic, but I'm curious about some things. Lactose is a milk sugar; a disaccharide that consists of a molecule of galactose and glucose (or something similar to that, I think. I can't remember my biology unless I go back and review it periodically and I'm too lazy to look it up right now). Is there any difference between lactose in the milks of various mammals? I guess what I'm asking is does the configuration and bonds present in the molecular structure of lactose differ from the milk of one animal to the next? And what about casein. It is a protein and I know that people can be allergic to it, but I'm not sure how the type of casein in cow's milk differs from that in human milk. I'm just curious about the last question because if you avoid dairy but then eat something that has casein in it, is the structure of that substance the same as what human's have in their milk, or is it specifically cow casein. And if a product doesn't list the type of casein, is it assumed to be cow's milk protein. Or can is casein used to provide a certain texture or structure to a product the same from one animal to the next at a certain molecular level. Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just trying to figure stuff out. I know with sugar it's basically some configuration of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen, but proteins are far more complex.
#4 of 13 Old 01-25-2004, 10:27 PM

onesassy momma,
i had to tell you 2 things
1 i have been wondering the same thing about hylands tablets, thanks for asking
2 Fair and Tender Ladies is MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME
and anyone who quotes it is a kindred spirit
sarah justice
#5 of 13 Old 01-25-2004, 10:44 PM

DS is 7 mo and we are going through the same thing. I completely eliminated dairy from my diet starting Tuesday (including all trace dairy - which includes the Hylands Teething Tablets).

We too have had some hard nights (waking every hour) - but Friday and Saturday night he was sleeping for 2 and 3 hour chunks!

This could be dairy but I've also eliminated caffeine and DS has been teething!

We have not given the Hylands - as I understand that with Dairy in particular you must avoid all trace too. So we have been relying on cold teething rings to get us through the teething.

Good luck OneSassyMama - we know what it is like!
#6 of 13 Old 01-26-2004, 01:32 PM

My ds is anaphylactically allergic to dairy (which means his throat closes up and he struggles to breathe, even ceases to breathe in some cases), but he has been ok with Hylands (and other homeopathic Rx too). I suspect he is allergic to the protein and not to the milk sugar in dairy.

You can always do muscle testes (or dowsing, same thing really) to test which it is in your case.

Warmly,
Michelle in NY
#7 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 12:44 AM

Hi
nak
with my dd we couldn't do any dairy including hylands tablets. However as an alternative hylads teething gel has no dairy and helped my dd alot
hth dairy is a tough one to eliminate but man does it make a difference if its the problem
Janessa
#8 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 08:24 AM
KFH

Not an answer to your question, but on same topic. FYI when you eliminate yoiu want to eliminate all cow's milk protein that includes anyting with whey, or casein, or sodium caseinate or anyting ending in caseinate. Lactose, is generally not considered an issue, it's not the protein, as I think was mentioned. Be wary of margarines, many commercial breads, and lots fo things you wouldn't think! I've done this since July, and am getting ready to test him again next month. Just a tip, if you like cream in your coffee, silk creamer is not bad. It's no half & half, but I'd be lost without it. Also, olive oil consumption is way up in my house, as we dip our breads (ooh how trendy!) rather than slather. It really hasn't been too hard. An added bonus, I weigh less now than I did when I started grad school over 10 years ago. I attribute it to cutting out dairy 95% and nursing the other 5%. This didn't happen when I nursed my dd!

Since you're a diary eater--and if you end up doing this long term for your baby--you might want to consider this. Keep eating cheeses etc. made from sheep's milk and goat's milk. This way you're body will not cease to make lactase. Lot's of women who cut out dairy all together find they can't tolerate any when they can/do go back to it.

Hope this helps!
#9 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 AM

you could just do homeopathic chamomilla. it is the main ingredient in the teething tablets anyway, i believe. and its placed in a sugar pill that i dont believe has dairy in it? i wasnt aware that hylands did either though.
good luck! we always just used homeopathic chamomilla for teething and then a mixture of safflower oil and a few drops of clove oil to rub on the gums.
#10 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 01:18 PM

you could try Humphrey's #3. They are a homeopathic teething remedy (same active ingredients as Hylands) but they are not milk based. I have never personally tried the Hylands, but used Humphreys for my ds anad are uding them again for my dd and I think they work really well.
Good luck
#11 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lactose is present in human milk as well as cow's milk (and milk from other species), and it's the same molecule in all milk. So there's no need to eliminate lactose when you're avoiding dairy products.

Casein is another story. There are different kinds of casein proteins, and they differ among species. So the casein in human milk is not the same as the casein in cow's milk. If a label says a product contains casein, I'd assume it was casein from cow's milk, but I don't know if there are any rules about how casein from other animals' milk would have to be identified on a label.
#12 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the educated replies! I really appreciate the information. I plan to give the non-dairy diet another few weeks and then test. He's still teething painfully, though, so I'd like to try some of the other homeopathic remedies with him. Although it sounds like the Hylands may be safe for dairy sensitivities, I'm not sure if I want to chance it just yet.

So, goat's and sheep's milk is OK? No dairy means just no cow's milk? No one in my family has ever had any problems with dairy, so I haven't studied the sensitivity issue too much. We are label-readers from way back, though (when my dd was two she began asking people "What are the ingredients? Does it have hydrogenated?" if they tried to give her a snack), so I know those pesky whey and casein do pop up everywhere.

Thanks again ... and here is my very favorite Fair and Tender Ladies quote again for kindred spirit moma justice
#13 of 13 Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
So, goat's and sheep's milk is OK? No dairy means just no cow's milk?
Other kinds of milk may or may not be okay, depending on what exactly a particular person is sensitive to in cow's milk. If I were trying a no-dairy diet to see what effect it had on my baby, I'd avoid them all at first.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page