How long does a runny nose usually last? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
DS is 1 (as of yesterday) and he got sick for the first time a few weeks ago. He came down with a fever that lasted for 24 hours then it went away. He started with a little congestion after that and it lasted for about a week, then my inlaws came into town and my mother in law had something aweful. It sounded like a respiratory bug of some sort. I have also had something too, and ds began another bout of runny nose. this time way worse than the first week. It won't stop running and it has been days now!
How long does congestion and a runny nose usually last? I know each case is different but what's the longest you have heard it lasting?
Thanks!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 PM

How long does a runny nose last - about four years

I think it depends on the cause.
It might be viral, or allergic or even an infection.
Take him to be checked out either way.
What colour is running stuff?
If its yellow or green I'd take him to the doctors soon.
If its clear I'd vote for a simple cold or allergies...

8 might be enough
#3 of 4 Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 PM

We just got over colds. DS lasted about a week. Vicks baby rub was great a night & we used a humidifier in the room. We offered lots & lots of water too.

DS is tugging at his ear now, so we may be in for an ear infection.
#4 of 4 Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back from the doctor's with ds. He still has a runny nose and cough, and when the doc looked in his ear she said both ears were a bit infected. Not too bad, his left worse than the right. She said it looked as if there was a little puss behind his left ear which made her believe it to be bacterial in nature. She recommended watchful waiting for 48 hours and if he doesn't seem to be any better, she would prescribe amoxicillan.
What do you all think about the antibiotics? Can she really tell if it's bacterial in nature? And if it truly is, will the antibiotics be the path to go?
Thanks!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page