How soon can I start potty training?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my little one is 11months and I am expecting another in December... is it too soon to start potty training? I mean, just to get him in the habit of sitting on the potty each morning... he is constantly tearing off his diaper.
And the sooner I get him out of diapers, the less time I will have two in diapers. With my older children they began around 1 1/2 -2 yrs., but I want to know if I can/should try sooner.
#2 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
You can do it as early as you like, even 6 weeks! But, early on it's more of elimination communication and they need a lot of help from you to notice they need to potty and take them there. If you are in that habit it's almost seamless for them to go on their own when ready. There's a board on here under diapering about that.

Edit to add: usually if you begin early it's best to skip any reward or show of disappointment connected with pottying or missing, maybe a tiny bit of praise for going there but nothing big.
#3 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM

I have to agree with the PP .. and you can also turn it into something fun for him .. put cheerios in his little potty and have him try to aim at them .. that is if you are learning with him standing up ... bring him with you every time you go and offer it to him as well ... good luck !

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2009, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You should check out the elimination communication area for more ideas.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 AM

....... and focusing on the successes (ie, pee/poo in the potty) instead of the misses will be more fun (vs stressing)!
#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
JMJ

My DD started at 6 days. Some people start with the first pee and the meconium. Your babies could be working at it at the same time! Just offer to one then the other. What better motivator to your son than to see his baby sibling using the potty too?
#7 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

I started EC at about 3 weeks with DD1, and while I don't regret it, she didn't fully potty learn until around age 3 anyway. She had a big regression at 2.5 when her little sister was born. I was ready to put her in diapers even though she hadn't regularly worn diapers since 12 mos. So, while EC is a wonderful tool and it will certainly reduce the diaper numbers, it's not necessarily a fast lane to potty learning. Without EC, kids typically will potty learn somewhere between age 2 and 3, or even as late as age 4.

eta: oh but you knew that... just read that you have two older ones.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2009, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For more info on EC, you can also check out www.diaperfreebaby.org Your baby is pretty old for EC, so they have specific info on what you can do.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM

I don't know about potty-learning, but putting your LO on the potty like you're thinking will definitely reduce the numbers of diapers you use. And it might be something your older kids can help with.

Best times are when he wakes up dry in the morning, and after a nap. You can also watch to see if he pees at a certain time after eating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page