Is this a weird (too easy) for an 8 wk old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 wk old is possibly the easiest baby I have ever met. He is happy, content, sleeps well and is such a healthy looking little boy. He has grown 4 lbs in 8 wks and is doing great. Since birth he went 4 hours at night and 2 hours in the day (this is WAY different than my preemie twins were). He has cried for probably 2 hours TOTAL in his entire 8 wks of life.
He went 7 hours last night. he seems to like to go to sleep at about 8:00pm and sleep until 2 or 3am. He nurses quickly and then goes right back to sleep.
He hates pacifiers and only once in a while comfort nurses. Normally once he is full he lets go of the nipple and is ready to sleep or play and smile.
So actually he is only nursing like 8 or 9x a day and he sleeps a lot too. He doesn't even poo at night so sometimes I don't even have to change his diaper unless he is really wet.
He likes to take an actual afternoon nap for a few hours in his co-sleeper in our room. He sleeps in until about 9am. I could go on and on.
Is this unusual for an 8 wk old? this is SO different than my twins were. I almost want some other people to have a baby like this so I can know it is normal for some kiddos.

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 AM

DD was pretty mellow at that age. She ate way more than your baby, but slept about the same and hardly cried. Enjoy it b/c it could change before you know it. DD's sleep got bad around 4 months and took 2-3 months before it went back to anywhere near what it was before, but she still doesn't cry very much.

obstruct livery vehicles

#3 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 AM

My seven week old son is a lot like your baby. He does, however have a high need to suck so uses a paci when falling asleep or in the car (hates the car). His sleep is also getting more "organized" and he sleeps very well at night - usually between five and eight hours at a time. I can even put him down awake and he'll fall asleep on his own.

My dd2 was much like this too as a newborn and things got crappy with her sleep at around four months and we didn't recover until 15 months although if I was smarter it could have probably been earlier.

I guess you paid your dues with your twins, mama!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#4 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 02:35 AM

i vote personality.

dd is like this. she sleeps through the night. she barely cries. even when something was uncomfortable, she would try to 'talk' for quite awhile before giving into crying. i think until she became mobile and started crying due to falling/bumping, the only time we heard her cry was when she was accidentally awakened or put in the bathtub.

she is happy, mellow, loves to interact but can play alone...

anyways i know from growing up w/ lots of babies that she is 1 in a million lol. i'm scared to have another baby b/c it'd be like winning the lottery again if we got a dc even similar to her.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#5 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 AM

Well, every baby is different. I lucked out with my first (she's 3 months today!). She's the same way, mellow, rarely ever cries, smiles constantly, started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. But she doesn't nurse, as I'm not able to anymore. My colitis came back and the lomotil dries up all secretions, especially breast milk . The previous poster is right. They could easily change. Mine hasn't yet and its certainly nothing to be worried about. I'd be more worried if they were crying all the time, as it could be an idicator something is wrong. So obviously you're doing a very good job at being a good mommy.

Fiance to Gaudencio and mother to baby Jenssy (4/17/09)
#6 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 AM

I have a 4-week old who is extremely similar to your 8-week old. I nearly feel guilty when I hear of other moms whose babies cry all the time or feel like they can't get out of the house or put down their baby for one second. This sounds silly, but thank you for posting because now I know my baby isn't a freak of nature, haha! She's just so chill and happy to be alive that sometimes I wonder if you know what is going to hit the fan soon. Seriously, I sometimes wait for the bottom to fall out, but so far it hasn't. THen I want to stop thinking that so there's no self-fulfilling prophesy!!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#7 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies
I will be on the look-out for any changes around 4 months or so it sounds like.
My baby will also 'talk' a lot before giving in to crying. That being said when he does start to 'cry' we all go running (seriously) to him to see what is wrong.
I feel like I won the lottery too! He is the kind of baby that makes you want more, but I know I can't top him or the pregnancy/birth I had with him. Hecertainly made up for my twin pregnancy with 22 wks bedrest and a csection, ppd, one twin with colic, .... (even tho i adore my twins!!).

#8 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 AM

My baby has been the same way since birth...very easy and mellow. He has never been up at night crying, and, although he still nurses a few times a night, he sleeps through the night (we co-sleep so he doesn't really wake up when he's hungry). He's 4 months old, 19 lbs, happy when he's awake, sleeps deeply, and in general really easy going. I would say just enjoy it! But I had the same questions when he was first born. I was kind of like, I thought babies were supposed to be difficult?!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#9 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM

My 11wo DD is the same .... so happy, mellow, chilled out and bonnie little girl. I feel guilty at times for neglecting her because my 2yo DS is (and always has been) such high needs.

Sometimes I wonder if she seems so super easy because I had such a rough time with DS. Some things she does (e.g. nursing 3-4 times a night) don't phase me in the slightest, but friends of mine are horrified that she's still waking this often. To me, she's still super mellow - she nurses, rolls over and goes back to sleep in the crook of my arm. What could be easier (or sweeter) than that?

So maybe it's a comparison thing too.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#10 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
I have a 4-week old who is extremely similar to your 8-week old. I nearly feel guilty when I hear of other moms whose babies cry all the time or feel like they can't get out of the house or put down their baby for one second. This sounds silly, but thank you for posting because now I know my baby isn't a freak of nature, haha! She's just so chill and happy to be alive that sometimes I wonder if you know what is going to hit the fan soon. Seriously, I sometimes wait for the bottom to fall out, but so far it hasn't. THen I want to stop thinking that so there's no self-fulfilling prophesy!!
I AGREE. My sister's baby is 3 wks old and has reflux and is high-needs. She is extremely pleased when he goes 3 hours at night whereas my baby is younger and goes 4-5 normal and sometimes longer at night. Her baby screams all the time and mine is cooing and smiling. I feel SO guilty, but I know its silly to feel guilty about it. Glad I'm not the only one feeling that way too.

#11 of 12 Old 07-18-2009, 12:07 AM

My first was like that--just her personality. She started sleeping 8 hours at a time at 4 weeks (breastfed & thriving), only took about 5 minutes to eat, never spit up, hardly ever cried, napped well, etc. She is still, at nearly 11, a very mild mannered child. They are out there!

My other 3 have all been different stories...

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#12 of 12 Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Its exciting to hear that some of these delightful babies stayed so delightful!
He also hardly ever every spits up. If every baby was like these easy babies our world would be far over populated.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page