Naked babies and pools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think about babies going into a pool naked?

It seemed pretty normal to me, but after a comment from my sister's friend on facebook, I thought it must have made her uncomfortable to swim in my sister's pool with my 11 MO naked baby. (We use EC and her friend knows we are rarely caught off guard by poop)

Just curious if I'm totally out there to be caught off guard :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 PM

We have an 11mo & a pool.
The other day we were out there & I didnt feel like taking the baby all the way upstairs to put on a swim diap & bathing suit. I said to my DH lets just put him in naked. DH's response surprised me. He said "that's disgusting! Go put his b.suit on". I didn't think it was a big deal really.

Personally, I would do it. Even without ECing.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#3 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would but only if the owner of the pool doesn't mind. Poop in the pool means shutting down the pool for one complete filter cycle. Depending on the filter & the pool size that could be as long as 8 hours.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 PM

If poop-predictable I'd be fine with it. We couldn't do it when ds was tiny, but now he'd be fine.

-Angela
#5 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 PM

In my pool sure. But I wouldn't put my naked baby into a public pool or the pool of an individual I didn't know very well. My kids had lots of naked swim time and they never pooped. In fact, my youngest will never even pee in the ppo- which has been pretty annoying.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#6 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
If poop-predictable I'd be fine with it.
Given that my fully potty trained 5yo pooped his pants at the science center a month or two ago... I am skeptical of any infant truly being "poop predictable."

I wouldn't do it except in the smallest of kiddie pools where dumping and refilling is not a huge deal. A swim diaper is such an easy measure against a poop catastophe in the pool, regardless of how unlikely you think it will be.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#7 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
Given that my fully potty trained 5yo pooped his pants at the science center a month or two ago... I am skeptical of any infant truly being "poop predictable."

I wouldn't do it except in the smallest of kiddie pools where dumping and refilling is not a huge deal. A swim diaper is such an easy measure against a poop catastophe in the pool, regardless of how unlikely you think it will be.
Yeah, I agree with that.
#8 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Eh, I've known poop-predictable kids. Dd after age 12 mo was one.

She didn't even PEE in the pool.

-Angela
#9 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Just had a poopy diaper not hold in our infant pool. YUCK! Silly me had just got done telling someone how he has never pooped in the pool!
#10 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Some predictable kids become somewhat less predictable when submerged in water. Something about that relaxes them. I just wouldn't be confident with it in my pool.
#11 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post

My DS won't poop with anyone else around, in anyone's arms, etc. Only poops right after nursing. I always know when he is going to poop. He has been this way since he was about 3-4 months old. Just sayin..

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#12 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM

My EC baby (11 months) is very predictable about poops. He don't even pee in the water. I feel very comfortable with my naked baby swimming in my friend's pool. But, if the owner of the pool asks me to put a diaper in the baby, I'll do it. Not a big deal. Any way, I probably, just use a regular swim suit, because DS is not in diapers any more. LOL

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#13 of 17 Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 PM

As people have said, its not the "naked" part (in that somehow a baby without clothes on is offensive). Its the poop part. Pools (like, chlorinated big pools) become unsanitary if they have poop in them and must be shut down (and allow a filter cycle with a chlorine spike) and that is a big bummer for everyone. So, I'm not against the "naked" aspect. I'm against poop in the pool that could get everyone sick and definately ruins everyone's good time.
#14 of 17 Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM

Both my kids are VERY poop predictable. We never had any accident (in a pool).

joy.gif
#15 of 17 Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 AM

I can't tell you how many of my cousins pooped in my grandmother's pool. We'd just scoop it out and keep swimming. Looking back probably not the smartest thing ever.

If we were at a family member's house (or in our own pool), naked baby swimming is no big deal. I'd never do it at a public pool.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#16 of 17 Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM

A friend of mine and a bunch of others got sick while swimming in another friends pool after a little one pooped in it. I'd wouldn't allow my LO to be nakey in my (or anyone else's) pool JIC.
#17 of 17 Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM

A public pool - a swim diaper

A little kiddie pool at my house or a friends house - naked

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page