April 2009 Moms come in Here! Chat thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the DDC closing in 48 hrs thought I'd start this weeks here!

I wanted to post on the teething thread that was started a few days ago but afraid of having it get closed down soo...

teething- all my dc started the drooling,chewing, basically looking/acting as if they were teething at around 3 mnths (give or take) but none had a tooth break through till the earliest at 8 months- most were 9-11 mnths. I kept waitng and listening to people say "oh it looks like (insert name) will have a tooth any day now!" no- never happened. Caleb started the extra drooling and chewing about a month ago- no teeth yet. It'll be a while. I've tried offering him chew toys and wash cloths but he's not interested- prefers his hand/fingers. I've never used baby orajel or these magical teething tablets (didn't have them w/my olders), I'd use Tylenol if thye seemed in alot of pain. But I've heard so many good things about the tablets (from here and from my mainstream friends) that I'll probably try them at some point w/Caleb- maybe sooner than later- he's been real fussy at bedtime, chewing and drooling like crazy but nothing is helping- doesn't want to nurse either! so frustrating- cause he gets sooooooooooooo crabby.

weekend going good here- hope everyone else's is too!

Lindsey- the count down continues- just like 3 more days, right? so excited for you.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 PM

oh wah, I will miss the April 2009 DDC. Thanks for starting this. Running out to pick up a free electric breast pump (yay!). I think I have to buy some tap shoes for ONE WEEK of camp for DS, at least I can console myself that while expensive, they are nothing like a breast pump... how is that for roundabout reasoning?

and, I am looking forward to a little downtime (and a bunch of worktime, supposedly) w/ DS in 2 weeks of daycamp.

Lindsay, waiting with baited breath to hear your updates- I know you'll be a really busy momma but I'll check FB too to see the news!

-Emma

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 PM

I think we're teethign too. We've got drool, chewing, and most importantly.... red bumps on the gums. I'm just waiting. I know they're comign soon. Luckily they don't seem all that bothered, other than the chewing hands, which might be more a "i just found my hands" thing rather than a "I'm teething" thing.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#4 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for starting this. I still can't believe our DDC is closing! So good to see you skybluepink!!

Does anyone use baby einstein with their LO? I only put it on when I'm in the room with him but Cooper LOVES it!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#5 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM

We don't do any tv, videos, or video games at all with our kids (at least not yet, DS is 4 1/2). For us this is easier than doling it out and having it be an issue we tussle over (how much, what content, etc), let alone a reward. Its been fine so far and our son plays on his own or "reads" to himself while I make dinner, etc. Of course he's seen things from time to time at other peoples' houses, the dentist, restaurants, whatever. Screen media is so ubiquitous. He sometimes complains to us that he doesn't like our rule of no "movies" at our house, but he accepts it pretty easily.

However, I have heard from friends that their babies *love* baby einstein. I took it out of the library once to watch it and DH and I were struck with how it seems quite like an art school video project... weird and kind of fascinating even to us.

#6 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM

I remember thinking Liam was teething at around this age, but he didn't get a tooth until 6 months. I don't think Ben is teething yet at all.

Ben laughed yesterday! :

Exhausted from a long weekend and off to spend alone time with DH.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#7 of 162 Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 PM

I'll sub to this thread too

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#8 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 AM

So tired. We slept dowstairs in the living room on friday night on the futon because it was so hot upstairs and it totally messed me up. Bad sleep (worried about baby on unfamiliar bed), sore back. But last night Eden slept in her moses basket for 3-4 hours!! I'm not sure if she fussed and woke me up or if I got engorged and woke her up, it's a little bleary. I have to admit I didn't sleep that great because I was worried about her, but I'm going to try again. I guess I'm concerned that the numbness in hands/fingers from sleeping so contorted all the time is going to cause permanent nerve damage. I figure if I can get a couple of hours a night unhindered, that'll be an improvement.

We got a bumbo chair. It's been a success so far, especially for watching daddy water the garden tonight! DH actually sprayed her toes with the hose and she just giggled. Eden's become such a flirt with new people, too. She really turns on the charm with giant smiles and the litttle coy looking away thing.

The rolling isn't as cute during a diaper change

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#9 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Subbing for now.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Kate - where are you putting the moses basket? I know what you mean about the numbness from trying to sleep safely around LO. Cooper starts out in the pack and play and slept there almost 6 hours last night : We just got a bumbo too and Cooper seems to love it - however his head isn't quite strong enough yet to be in there without my help.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#11 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

im ordering a bumbo this week. zack is loving sitting up -- he tries to sit up on his own (ends up doing a crunch) and he really could benefit from a trainer like that.

yay.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#12 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Is it tomorrow Sophia comes home??? I can't wait to hear, though I know Lindsay will be busy lovin her girl!!!! I can't imagine her anticipation!:

LO squirms sooo much in the early am...basically from 3am on. It's so hard for me to sleep. Even with her on her own sleep surface. I know if I put her in another room, she'd be crying so I'd be up with her anyway, at least she doesn't cry next to me. I nurse and change her at 1am. Then she's dry and nurses a little at 3am(just enough to get herself back to sleep). Maybe I need to fully wake her at 3am and change and nurse??? Need to do something I'm really tired and so is DH!

teething possibly here to...she'll just scream out of nowhere and won't nurse at those times, hylands is helping...

MONDAYS..I hate them:. I should plan a playdate/group every monday morning!

Sad about the DDC but glad we still have this and FB!!! I know the DDC had to end we are no longer due. everything changes, I have to accept it, be grateful for my memories and live in the present.
#13 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Tired here, too. After going to bed at midnight, DS slept until 5 am. Then nursed and nursed and nursed without going back to sleep. When he finally unlatched he was awake and squirmy while all I wanted to do is sleep. Finally around 7.30 he slept again. Of course, now he's sleeping like a baby

Luckily he does not turn over, yet. But he tries to crawl.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#14 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Hey All I put a "remembering william and soren" post in our DDC. I want MI_Dawn and Mischievium to know we will always remember their boys...and for them to see all our love at the top of the page when they open our DDC archive if they look back on their pregnancies of their sons.

Add something if you can,even just a candle or hug...
#15 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM

I have a bumbo and PJ has been using it for about 3 weeks now.... I think it actually helps with his head/neck control (makes him stronger). There is, however, a time limit to how long he will tolerate the chair. So we usually rotate from the chair, to tummy time to back time and it works out okay. He's getting so strong! He LOVES standing up on his legs, his face just lights up!

The drool has started.... it's hilarious when I find a huge thread of drool from his mouth nearly down to the floor! Lots of chomping on hands....

PJ HATES the carseat. It used to be that only sometime he would cry. Not anymore.... he wont even take my pinky finger, he just spits it out and howls away as if we're causing him serious pain. I feel so awful! I read up a bit on what some other mommas have done... and decided to try out our convertible car seat. We took a short trip to the store, and while he started off crying, it didn't take very long for him to settle down and look around. I'm hoping that with a few more rides things drastically improve (fingers crossed). The conv. seat definitely sits him up higher so he can see out the car some more.... we'll see!

So deeply sad that the DDC is closing. Such a part of my daily (nearly) life to check in with everyone! I'm on facebook a lot so I'm sure I'll be seeing most mommas there as well.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#16 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Tuesdays still the day!!!!!!:::

She had a problem with her new feeding schedule and meds but were working the kinks out and still are aiming for tomorrow!

Dh and I were talking last night about Sophia not being "our" baby yet. She has been the hospitals baby for almost 3 months now and its kinda scary thinking well have a newborn in the house!

Im mostly worried about my sleeping. I have been sleeping like a rock and even alarms cant wake me up, what happens if she needs me and I cant be roused?! She isnt going to have any monitors so Im going to have to watch her myself (gasp!) and take body cues from her if shes in distress (which hasnt happened in a month, so Im not sure why Im freaking out!).

SHe is coming home on EIGHT medications and certain ones can NOT be screwed up, so I have to be VERY meticulous. I know Ill be fine but I keep finding all these things to worry about!

Yesterday I hit Costco, today I need to go to Target and the grocery store, do laundry, cat litter, make her crib with new sheets, pull out the chux (I thought Id use those for her mattress protector since I have a ton), hang her mobiles, etc. Phew! I better get going!

Ill post updates soon!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#17 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM

riley's sick fever, pukes, diarrhea, general misery. poor little squishy.

i was suspecting teething because of the crankiness - normally she's the mellowest, happiest baby...but i guess it was this ramping up.

i didn't realize just how much she DOESN'T cry until she cried a bit yesterday and DH and i were completely shocked to hear her cry for that long. a very sad way of realizing how awesome it's been. LOL
#18 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
With the DDC closing in 48 hrs thought I'd start this weeks here!

I wanted to post on the teething thread that was started a few days ago but afraid of having it get closed down soo...

teething- all my dc started the drooling,chewing, basically looking/acting as if they were teething at around 3 mnths (give or take) but none had a tooth break through till the earliest at 8 months- most were 9-11 mnths. I kept waitng and listening to people say "oh it looks like (insert name) will have a tooth any day now!" no- never happened. Caleb started the extra drooling and chewing about a month ago- no teeth yet. It'll be a while. I've tried offering him chew toys and wash cloths but he's not interested- prefers his hand/fingers. I've never used baby orajel or these magical teething tablets (didn't have them w/my olders), I'd use Tylenol if thye seemed in alot of pain. But I've heard so many good things about the tablets (from here and from my mainstream friends) that I'll probably try them at some point w/Caleb- maybe sooner than later- he's been real fussy at bedtime, chewing and drooling like crazy but nothing is helping- doesn't want to nurse either! so frustrating- cause he gets sooooooooooooo crabby.
Sorry - I kind of skipped out on the DC last winter sometime. I got a little overwhelmed & started worrying about things that I heard going on with other people, and it was starting to make me imagine issues that weren't really there. And once I fell behind, it was really hard to catch up. (everything went fine with me - delivered a boy we named Grant at the end of 38 weeks on 4/15- fast 6 hour labor, no interventions).

teething - DS has been drooling like a mad man and stuffing his fingers in his mouth/chewing on burp cloths for weeks now, and it just keeps getting worse. I've started letting him chew on my knuckle prior to nursing him - it seems to help him nurse so he can go to bed at night (he sleeps through the night, so that last feeding around 8 pm is really, really important, although he eats all day long, so maybe it isn't as important as I think it is). I have broken down & given him tylenol twice now for it and it does seem to give him some relief so he can nurse & get to sleep. What are these tablets mentioned above? He'll take a cold washcloth for a minute or two, but has no interest in chew toys.

Luckily, he has somehow learned that my nipple isn't for chewing on. Not sure how we got that down, but he hasn't clamped down in a couple of weeks now, thankfully. Maybe it's the knuckle chewing prior to nursing, I dunno.
#19 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM

welcome back Kai! Nice to have you back..... happy to hear of your healthy boy!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#20 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Kate - where are you putting the moses basket? I know what you mean about the numbness from trying to sleep safely around LO. Cooper starts out in the pack and play and slept there almost 6 hours last night : We just got a bumbo too and Cooper seems to love it - however his head isn't quite strong enough yet to be in there without my help.
On the floor right next to my bed. She slept 5 hours there last night and would have gone longer, but i needed to feed her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
PJ HATES the carseat. It used to be that only sometime he would cry. Not anymore.... he wont even take my pinky finger, he just spits it out and howls away as if we're causing him serious pain. I feel so awful! I read up a bit on what some other mommas have done... and decided to try out our convertible car seat. We took a short trip to the store, and while he started off crying, it didn't take very long for him to settle down and look around. I'm hoping that with a few more rides things drastically improve (fingers crossed). The conv. seat definitely sits him up higher so he can see out the car some more.... we'll see!.
Danglt toys are our life savers. we have some that clip on to the side of the car seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Tuesdays still the day!!!!!!:::

She had a problem with her new feeding schedule and meds but were working the kinks out and still are aiming for tomorrow!

Dh and I were talking last night about Sophia not being "our" baby yet. She has been the hospitals baby for almost 3 months now and its kinda scary thinking well have a newborn in the house!

Im mostly worried about my sleeping. I have been sleeping like a rock and even alarms cant wake me up, what happens if she needs me and I cant be roused?! She isnt going to have any monitors so Im going to have to watch her myself (gasp!) and take body cues from her if shes in distress (which hasnt happened in a month, so Im not sure why Im freaking out!).

SHe is coming home on EIGHT medications and certain ones can NOT be screwed up, so I have to be VERY meticulous. I know Ill be fine but I keep finding all these things to worry about!

Yesterday I hit Costco, today I need to go to Target and the grocery store, do laundry, cat litter, make her crib with new sheets, pull out the chux (I thought Id use those for her mattress protector since I have a ton), hang her mobiles, etc. Phew! I better get going!

Ill post updates soon!
Lindsay, you will be wonderful! Your deep sleep will go the way of the buffalo, I guarantee! Enjoy your last night of restful sleep for awhile. And go out to dinner! good luck and can't wait to see homecoming pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post

i was suspecting teething because of the crankiness - normally she's the mellowest, happiest baby...but i guess it was this ramping up.

i didn't realize just how much she DOESN'T cry until she cried a bit yesterday and DH and i were completely shocked to hear her cry for that long. a very sad way of realizing how awesome it's been. LOL
oh, no . Get better, riley!

, Grant!! and welcome back, Kai!! They're Hylands teething tablets. they're herbal and they work great.

#21 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

kate - where can one get danglt toys?

#22 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM

dang-it toys?

(I'm guessing she mistyped "dangly")

#23 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Tomorrow Lindsay!! :

I have dangit toys but those are ones like legos. The ones with the tiny little pieces that you step on and then end up hopping around screaming.

I'm attempting to take Julian with Dh and I this afternoon to see Harry Potter. I'm hoping he will sleep through it. He slept through Ice Age two weeks ago so it is possible.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#24 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM

I'm happy to see some mamas posting who haven't been around much lately! Welcome back, ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
LO squirms sooo much in the early am...basically from 3am on. It's so hard for me to sleep. Even with her on her own sleep surface. I know if I put her in another room, she'd be crying so I'd be up with her anyway, at least she doesn't cry next to me. I nurse and change her at 1am. Then she's dry and nurses a little at 3am(just enough to get herself back to sleep). Maybe I need to fully wake her at 3am and change and nurse??? Need to do something I'm really tired and so is DH!
Yeah, I'd try fully waking her so she can get a really good feeding in. Hopefully that will help! If it doesn't, I'm not sure what the next thing would be to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post
Tired here, too. After going to bed at midnight, DS slept until 5 am. Then nursed and nursed and nursed without going back to sleep. When he finally unlatched he was awake and squirmy while all I wanted to do is sleep. Finally around 7.30 he slept again. Of course, now he's sleeping like a baby

Luckily he does not turn over, yet. But he tries to crawl.
Argh. I hate nights like that. My worst problem lately has been River wanting to nurse every two hours all night the last couple of nights. She nurses for half an hour, sleeps for an hour and a half, then is awake and hungry again. I think both of us are pretty tired today. We nurse in bed, so at least I can go back to sleep while she's nursing, but being awoken every couple hours gets really tiring.

Quote:
PJ HATES the carseat. It used to be that only sometime he would cry. Not anymore.... he wont even take my pinky finger, he just spits it out and howls away as if we're causing him serious pain. I feel so awful! I read up a bit on what some other mommas have done... and decided to try out our convertible car seat. We took a short trip to the store, and while he started off crying, it didn't take very long for him to settle down and look around. I'm hoping that with a few more rides things drastically improve (fingers crossed). The conv. seat definitely sits him up higher so he can see out the car some more.... we'll see!
Be sure to let us know whether the convertible seat continues to help! River has been disliking her carseat a lot lately too. We don't have a convertible seat yet (will be getting a couple as hand-me-downs from my older brother, once his youngest is done with them in a few months), but it would be great if the solution were that simple. We're also going to try toys and swaddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post

You are going to do great! You'll manage the waking up and the medications just fine. I'm so excited for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post

Hope Riley feels better soon!

We took Riv to the local gay pride parade yesterday. It was really fun, but people kept walking up and standing next to us, then lighting up cigarettes. : Seriously, who thinks that's okay? I have no problem with people smoking, but I don't want them doing it three feet away from my baby! (Or three feet away from my asthmatic self, honestly.) But the parade was fun. There was a contingent of guys in the parade dressed up like zombies with a banner that read, "Equal Rights and Brains."

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#25 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I have a bumbo and PJ has been using it for about 3 weeks now.... I think it actually helps with his head/neck control (makes him stronger). There is, however, a time limit to how long he will tolerate the chair...

...PJ HATES the carseat. It used to be that only sometime he would cry. Not anymore....
Grant too. I haven't yet bought a convertible, although I don't really know what I'm waiting for. Every time I decide I need to, he has a perfectly blissful sleepy car ride & arrives happy & well rested.

Grant doesn't really like the bumbo seat - he'd rather sit up in my lap. he's always had good head/neck control (he came that way - now he picks up his head while lying on his back so we can pull shirts on over his head easier - it amazes me how he figures that sort of thing out on his own), so I'm not worried about the muscle development. But it would be nice for him to be upright by himself a little bit (free hands for mommy!). I do wear him in the bjorn a lot, but still...

When should I start looking for high chairs? he watches us eat and swipes at my plate/fork/food, and sits well while supported. I wont be feeding him anything other than breast milk for another 3 months, but he might like to sit there & watch us eat (and I'd get 2 hands to eat with).

Dangle toys: I found ours at that horrible store I hate: Babies R Us. What can I say? I was desperate.
#26 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 PM

I have a booster seat that has an adjustable back on it. It attaches to any chair and has it's own removable tray. Zack has moved from setting #1 to setting #2 (the back is more vertical) without really slumping over. It will be nice to bring it wherever. He enjoys staring at the dining room light fixture and it's nice to have him sit with us while we attempt to eat uninterrupted (read: three minutes of food cramming).

I'm going to need dangle toys for our 9 hour drive to OBX next month... fortunately Zack sleeps in the car every time -- at the moment...

#27 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
dang-it toys?

(I'm guessing she mistyped "dangly")
:

we got our dangly toys at a resale shop where they were incredibly over-priced, but i had a gift certificate. They have clips on either end so i can switch them to the stroller, which is nice. if your bouncy chair has the dangly toys you can detach the toy hanger and jam it into the carseat. btdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I have dangit toys but those are ones like legos. The ones with the tiny little pieces that you step on and then end up hopping around screaming.
laughup

#28 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM

http://www.babyant.com/bt550058.html

we have this. its flexible and soft, so safe in the car

#29 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM

omg

#30 of 162 Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Welcome back Kai and welcome Grant! I remember when you stopped posting and I'm glad to see you back!

One more day Lindsay - YAY!!!! I agree with Kate - I was afraid I'd have a hard time waking up but you'll be much more aware with her there with you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page