Can I give my 6-month-old yogurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My little girl has been having solids for a few weeks now ... avocado, sweet potatoes, mashed blueberries. I gave her a taste of my plain yogurt last night and she loved it! Is it ok to give cow's milk yogurt before one year or is that on the list of things to avoid? Thanks for the advice!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was fine with plain yogurt from around 8 months or so.

-Angela
Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 PM

I gave my 6.5 month old some plain greek yogurt.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is what kellymom says:
Quote:
Yogurt and cheese

Some experts consider yogurt and cheese to be okay for most babies after 6 months. Others prefer waiting until 9-12 months. Of course, if baby has a cow's milk allergy or there is a strong history of allergy to cow's milk in the family, yogurt, cheese and all other foods made with cow's milk should be avoided until 12 months or later. The main difference between yogurt and milk is that the lactose in yogurt has been converted into lactic acid. Cheese differs from milk in two ways: the whey proteins are drained off in the cheese-making process (so only casein proteins remain), and the curdling enzymes break down the casein proteins into smaller protein molecules. For babies and toddlers, try to find the whole milk yogurt (not low or no fat), and avoid the yogurt with artificial sweeteners lots of sugary fruits.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM

We did plain full fat (I think it was Fage) at 6 months. DD will only eat it if we mix in other things like applesauce. I couldn't figure out why until one day when I tried it. The stuff tastes like sour cream.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 07-26-2009, 06:06 PM

We did yogurt from 6 months on as well. I get whole fat, non-flavored and mix in different things, usually oatmeal (in fine grain, if you cant find it like this you can stick regular oats in the blender for a few seconds and that will do it) some kind of fruit, or veggie .. yeah weird .. but she likes it ..

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for your responses, mamas!
We tried it out today and she loved it ... so we'll be adding it to the repertoire.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM

DD is going on 10 months and has been eating yogurt for months. Just make sure its full fat yogurt made with whole milk, not low fat or non fat. The Yo Baby is good and comes in lots of flavors. It has tons of probiotics and fiber, since DD has been eating it daily we have had zero constipation....she goes every single day at almost the same time!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 PM

From six months, babe can have anything the rest of the family is eating.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 AM

We feed our babe full fat organic Stoneyfield Farm plain yogurt, but stay away from the yo-baby because it has sugar in it.
We grate apple into it or add mushy bananas sometimes but really, the baby likes the flavor of the plain yogurt just fine without additives. We've fed him yogurt since about 7 mos.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM

My ODS has been eating Nancy's plain yogurt since he was about 8 mos. Now that he's four he eats it just about every day with either his favorite cereal or fruit chopped into it. Since he's always eaten it without sweetener he loves it this way. I kinda like it myself that way, too. Definitely look at the ingredients. DH was fine with me getting plain yogurt for our kids and when he looked at the ingredients of a flavored popular brand, he was astonished to see that one serving can have 35 grams or more of sugar!

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM

I waited until 9-12 months with my other two. (Haven't started solids with this baby yet). However, I was allergic to milk protiens, caseins, as a child. I suspect my oldest has a mild dairy allergy. And my middle child had a dairy intolerance as a baby so I had to cut it out of my diet. This baby spits up more if I drink milk and has eczema. So I'll likely be waiting until closer to a year with him as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
DH was fine with me getting plain yogurt for our kids and when he looked at the ingredients of a flavored popular brand, he was astonished to see that one serving can have 35 grams or more of sugar!
While I agree that plain whole-fat yogurt is a better way to go, I just wanted to point out for S&D's benefit that flavoured yogurt in Canada doesn't have nearly the sugar content as stuff in the US. We eat Activia and it has 15g per 100g serving.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Perhaps a dumb question, but why only full-fat yogurt? I understand wanting the no-sugar added, but I don't understand the full fat. Presumably many of the solids we give babies are low fat (veggies, fruits, etc...) and their necessary milk fats should come from nursing, right? My baby's not quite to solids yet, but I ask because we can't get organic milk/yogurt where I live, and I usually buy non-fat, since hormones and toxins and such concentrate in the milk fat.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
My baby's not quite to solids yet, but I ask because we can't get organic milk/yogurt where I live, and I usually buy non-fat, since hormones and toxins and such concentrate in the milk fat.
It's probably not so much of an issue with you since you're mainly nursing.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

User Tag List