Please help! Is there such a thing as a "nap terror?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past week, DS (11 mos) has been waking up SCREAMING from his afternoon nap... and then that led to his am nap... and now he only sleeps for a half hour for both naps and wakes up screaming (he typically sleeps from 1-2 hours for both naps) - the kicker is most of the time it takes him good half hour before he returns to normal, he's clingy and cries even when he smiles going for a toy, his face will change and he'll get really upset. It's so bizarre but the problem is I feel like I've ruled out the obvious things...

For one he's sleeping all night and wakes up normally and happy in the am, so I don't think it's ear infection or teething (he hasn't even been sick recently) - gave him motrin a couple of different days 'cause I thought it was teeth but it didn't do a thing.

And his diet hasn't changed either.

Then I thought, separation anxiety, but he doesn't fight falling asleep for most naps, in fact, he smiles going down!

His ped (not the one I chose, the one who called me back) basically said it might be a phase/sep. anx. and that it might pass or that I might have to let him cry...15, 30 min, an hour - at that point I was just like yeah, whatever dude, goodbye. Worst advice ever, I've let him cry for a few min, even 15 or so when I knew for sure he was just tired, but this is like scared or hurting cry, and I don't know what it is that's bothering him. I don't know if he's having some sort of "nap terror" (is there such a thing??). Does anyone have any thoughts?? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 AM

Just resurrecting this topic because I think my 19 month old DS just experienced a nap terror. My DD used to have night terrors fairly frequently, but never during the day. When DS woke from his usual nap today, only a little earlier than usual, he was screaming uncontrollably for about 25 minutes, flexing his body, and being unresponsive to my attempts to calm him. When the screams finally started to subside, I put him back in his bed and he fell right back asleep. At first I thought something was terribly wrong with him, but the screams seemed more in frustration than in pain. That, and the fact that he went right back down when I put him in his crib (something he would never normally do, even if awoken from a too-short nap), makes me wonder if this wasn't a nap terror? Anyone???

#3 of 5 Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 AM

This has happened to all three of mine at times. It's like a nervous sytem reboot glitch.

#4 of 5 Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 AM

OK, relieved to hear... thanks.

#5 of 5 Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM

I also forgot to mention that whenever this kind of thing happens, even though the baby/ child is not fully awake. I just cal my hold them and walk around saying/ singing soothing things. NEVER ever would I leave a child stuck in between sleep and awake world to feel that way.

This happened mostly to my DD1, who has a lot of sensitivity issues. I actually got scared at first. They were the first indicators of night terrors that she would have about 2-3 nights a week for years. She is 7 now and doesn't have them.

I think some peoples nervous systems are just really quirky.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page