July 2009 ~ Aug. Chat Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Babies will be turning one month already!!!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#2 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM

DS just turned 2 weeks a few days ago. DH and I are still in awe over how adorable he is.
#3 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM

DD is 5 weeks old already. I can't believe how fast time is going by. She has been smiling for about a week now and is starting to be more alert during the day.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#4 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Mine isn't even 2 weeks yet! I'm still getting used to having a newborn around again. The thought of going back to school in just a few weeks is rather daunting.

love.gif

#5 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot how much work newborns are... and he is even an easy baby!

#6 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM

DD is 2 weeks old now and I am exhausted! She is sleeping for 2-3 hour stretches at night most of the time but I am having a hard time falling back asleep after nursing her. We are co-sleeping but she does not like the side-lying position for feeding so I have to sit up in bed to nurse her. Its draining!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#7 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
DD is 2 weeks old now and I am exhausted! She is sleeping for 2-3 hour stretches at night most of the time but I am having a hard time falling back asleep after nursing her. We are co-sleeping but she does not like the side-lying position for feeding so I have to sit up in bed to nurse her. Its draining!!
It took DD about 3 1/2 weeks to get used to the side lying position and now we use it for almost all her nighttime feedings.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#8 of 46 Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
nak

My DD is5 weeks and she gets up to nurse after her 'long' nap (3-4 hours) at two am and then doesn't want to go back to sleep for two more hours! WHEN do they start sleeping longer?!

I am happy to say that nursing is going SO much better. Hang in there two-week-post-partum-Mamas! I almost quit at two weeks!

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#9 of 46 Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oliver just turned 6 weeks.. he is such a lovely baby! He sleeps through the night (with me) and smiles and coos all day

how are your babes? how is everyone healing?

#10 of 46 Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Elijah just turned 6 weeks yesterday! I got him to smile today by making funny sounds, it was amazing. I can't wait until he starts smiling all the time.
He is more awake and alert during the day now, and has a great 4 hour stretch of sleep at night. I am a night owl anyway so by the time he wakes up I am going to bed so I attach him to my boob and get 4-5 hours of sleep in, then when DH goes to work we have the bed to ourselves and have cuddle and sleep time until late!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#11 of 46 Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Ethan just turned 4 weeks yesterday. He sorta smiles in his sleep and it's so cute. The weirdest thing he does is sometimes sleep with his eyes open, sometimes all the way open. He inherited that from his dad. It's cool, cute and freaky all at the same time lol.
#12 of 46 Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 PM

Graysen is 7 1/2 weeks old now. She is such a great baby. She is awake more during the day and has been smiling now for a few weeks. She is also starting to sleep for at least one 5-6 hour stretch at night now and when she does wake up I just roll over, latch her on and go back to sleep.

#13 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 AM

Jasper is 3 weeks old and growing like a weed. Over 10lbs now (just had a midwife appt yesterday to check on him) and definitely thriving. Being the mom of 2 sure is a lot harder than just having a newborn though. I remember with my DD I just had to focus on her and it just seemed so easy! Now I have a toddler who is definitely more challenging than the newborn HAHA.

My husband was gone all last week for work (yeah- I was with a 2.5 y.o. and 2 week old... it was insane!) so I am really really liking getting back into our routine so my DD can start SLEEPING again. She sleeps worse than the newborn at night lately!

I just can't believe he's almost a month old! Oh I love being a mom.
#14 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayjean View Post
Jasper is 3 weeks old and growing like a weed. Over 10lbs now (just had a midwife appt yesterday to check on him) and definitely thriving. Being the mom of 2 sure is a lot harder than just having a newborn though. I remember with my DD I just had to focus on her and it just seemed so easy! Now I have a toddler who is definitely more challenging than the newborn HAHA.

My husband was gone all last week for work (yeah- I was with a 2.5 y.o. and 2 week old... it was insane!)
I hear ya! DH works out of town 4 days a week :

#15 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

Wow, it feels weird to have a thread here! Paxton will be one month old next wk! I can't believe it. I've been so exhausted, time kind of flew by...
#16 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are 3 weeks post partum, and by the end of today we will be officially moved out and free from the crazy landlord! We've been living in our new place for a week, but have been moving over the last few things and cleaning/painting the old house. Well, dh and his sister have been. I mostly chill here with the baby. I feel kinda useless, I still feel sore when I've been up working for a couple of hours. But yesterday, I did the dishes and a load of laundry, woo!

I think dh is a little frustrated with how little I'm accomplishing too. Our new house is still a mess of boxes, and we had to buy and assemble a bunch of storage furniture before we could even unpack things. This move also just happened to coincide with the busiest week for his business, so I know he's under a lot of pressure. He hasn't said anything outright, but when he points out things I could be doing while the baby is asleep, I have to remind him that I still need a lot of rest and recovery time too.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#17 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
We are 3 weeks post partum, and by the end of today we will be officially moved out and free from the crazy landlord! We've been living in our new place for a week, but have been moving over the last few things and cleaning/painting the old house. Well, dh and his sister have been. I mostly chill here with the baby. I feel kinda useless, I still feel sore when I've been up working for a couple of hours. But yesterday, I did the dishes and a load of laundry, woo!

I think dh is a little frustrated with how little I'm accomplishing too. Our new house is still a mess of boxes, and we had to buy and assemble a bunch of storage furniture before we could even unpack things. This move also just happened to coincide with the busiest week for his business, so I know he's under a lot of pressure. He hasn't said anything outright, but when he points out things I could be doing while the baby is asleep, I have to remind him that I still need a lot of rest and recovery time too.
Sometimes they really don't get it. I reminded my dh everyday this time how difficult it is to keep up on housework, etc, because newborns take a lot of energy plus healing time for mama.. he gave me a really hard time with our #1, plus i had a touch of baby blues and lots of stitches.

#18 of 46 Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM

My DS is seven weeks and I can get him to smile sometimes. It's fun now that he smiles and coos on occasions when he's looking at me, and not just when his eyes are closed and he's on my boob. Of course I like them too. He's a pretty good baby although he gets so fussy when he has gas, but I learned those little mylicon drops work wonders. He screamed for two days solid before someone suggested he had gas. Within just two doses he is back to being my little angel.
#19 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM

With my first, I posted in the month my DD was born in Life With a Babe (she was early, too) but I sort of regretted it, b/c she did everything late- crawled at 10 months, etc. So I am going to stick with July, even if Louisa does have a May birthday.

She is 2.5 months-- I have lost track of the weeks-- 11 or 12, probably. She still sleeps a ton, like 18-20 hours a day. She is loving the sling, and sometimes wearing her is the only way to get her to sleep. I can't wait till cooler weather to try wrapping. She is smiling a lot and starting to talk. She gets the evening crankies- can be fairly intense. She is over 13 pounds and long.

Co-sleeping is going well, though getting to bed is tough. My 2.75 yr old wants all of my attention, baby is fussy and needs me, too. Anyone have any tips for making things like that smoother?

DD1 is doing pretty well overall with the new addition-- we hit a super rough patch about 2 months in that really threw me for a loop, but it seems to be getting a bit better now. I hope.

We are living in a different state (big city) for 6 weeks right now- lots of adjusting all around.

Nice to read the updates and hear how everyone is enjoying the little babes!

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#20 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 AM

Hello to all!
Everything has been going really well for us, DS is 3 weeks and sometimes I feel like I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop! his first Dr appt is tomorrow-(dr was out of town @ 2 weeks) and I am excited to see how much he's grown.
DP and I had our first "date" last week and it was sooooo nice to finally have a couple cocktails I have to admit!

I have a toddler! 7/27/09
#21 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklebean View Post
DP and I had our first "date" last week and it was sooooo nice to finally have a couple cocktails I have to admit!
DH and I went out last weekend too... I've been enjoying a guilt free beer every now and then as well

#22 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
DH and I went out last weekend too... I've been enjoying a guilt free beer every now and then as well
I've only had sips of beer so far, but they were goooood...
#23 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM

any tips for gassy babies? Poor little guy spent 3 hours this morning grunting and fussing until he finally tooted. I shift him around to different positions and sometimes that calms him for a little while, but it's usually early in the morning, and I'm just so sleepy that I'm afraid I'm not much help.

#24 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Even though Sam was born in June, I'm sticking with July!

We actually just got out of the hospital over the weekend - he had a UTI, poor baby. So now he has to have a VCUG and a renal u/s to make sure he doesn't have any kidney issues.

Other than that, he is 11 weeks old. He's smiling quite a bit now, and starting to coo a little. For the last 2 nights, he's gone to sleep around 9, 9:30 and waking up to nurse at 3 am!! It's been wonderful to get a long stretch of sleep like that!
#25 of 46 Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Hi Ladies.

DD is 6 weeks old now, but not doing much of anything. She was 3 weeks early though and drugged to sleep in the NICU for 2 weeks, so I am giving her a break. I think she smiled two or three times on purpose other than the after nursing smiles. She is sleeping okay. She actually still sleeps much better during the day than at night. She has the weirdest schedule. She is awake from 8-noon, sleeps from noon-6 getting up once to eat and right back to sleep. Awake again from 6-9 ish and then she wakes to eat every two hours overnight, but goes right back to sleep. My 2.75 year old is sweet as can be with her, and loves on her all the time- but acts out in other ways. He is suddenly a ball of energy and wants attention all the time. I am so thankful he goes to preschool 4 days a week. It has been my life saver.
#26 of 46 Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
Hi Ladies.

DD is 6 weeks old now, but not doing much of anything. She was 3 weeks early though and drugged to sleep in the NICU for 2 weeks, so I am giving her a break. I think she smiled two or three times on purpose other than the after nursing smiles. She is sleeping okay. She actually still sleeps much better during the day than at night. She has the weirdest schedule. She is awake from 8-noon, sleeps from noon-6 getting up once to eat and right back to sleep. Awake again from 6-9 ish and then she wakes to eat every two hours overnight, but goes right back to sleep. My 2.75 year old is sweet as can be with her, and loves on her all the time- but acts out in other ways. He is suddenly a ball of energy and wants attention all the time. I am so thankful he goes to preschool 4 days a week. It has been my life saver.
my 2.5 yr old is just the same. I WISH I could get him in preschool! MIL has been helping out a ton (We rent her basement apartment), but since she is a school teacher she is back to work this week.

On a personal note, I start college classes next Weds. I went back to school when DS1 was a baby, but it just seams sooooo soon right now. Luckily 2 of my classes are online, and I am only going to one in-person class.

Has anyone gone back to work yet? I am taking 3 months off from my job.. but it was super part time anyway.

#27 of 46 Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Has anyone gone back to work yet? I am taking 3 months off from my job.. but it was super part time anyway.
I'll be starting a new job in 2 1/2 weeks when DS is about 7 weeks old. Luckily my mother will be able to care for him for about 4 weeks while I'm at work. Now I have to figure out pumping and daycare.
#28 of 46 Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 PM

I am going back to work on Tuesday. DD will be 8 1/2 weeks old when I go back to work and will be going to the same home daycare her brother goes to 3 days a week. I am only going back to work 4 days a week and DH is off on Fridays, so he will be home with them then.

I'm not looking forward to going back to work at all. Nor am I looking forward to having to pump at work.

#29 of 46 Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM

I told my job that I would need at least a month off. DS is 4 weeks on Sunday! I don't really feel ready, even though it is very part time and flexible. I still get achy when I'm on my feet for long. With me gone though, there is only one other person handling everything, and I don't want them to feel like they are going to have to replace me because they are falling behind. I also need to talk to them about bringing baby with me. The last gal that had a baby brought her along for about a year, and I have the feeling they aren't too excited about doing that again. But, she was full time, and once ds is a few months older I can work short shifts with him at home with dh. Plus, they switched us from hourly pay to a piece rate so it's not like they'll be paying me unless i'm actually getting stuff done.

Anyone know how to nurse in a baby carrier yet?

#30 of 46 Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM

I quit my job when I found out I was pg. It was the most liberating thing I have ever done!! I have not been out of work since I was 16 years old and it is a strange thing. I actually kind of miss it, but am thinking of a career change so I am just going to lay low for a while.

I am sooooo happy that I don't have to drag the pump with me to work every day! That was a total pain in the a**!

Is it just me or is the transition from having one baby to having 2 little ones the most exhausting, stressful thing ever? I am having a really hard time with this. I think part of it is because DS is almost 2yo and so much fun right now that its really hard to focus so much time and energy on the new baby when all I want to do is run around and play with him. I guess I am kind of mourning the loss of our old family dynamic and having a hard time embracing the new structure. And I am not sleeping. And I have no time, none at all, to go for a run and then actually shower after. Or get the laundry done. Or prepare a nutritious meal.

Ugh. Just one of those days, I guess.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page